Start by marking “The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers” as Want to Read:

Hacker extraordinaire Kevin Mitnick delivers the explosive encore to his bestselling The Art of Deception
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most celebrated hacker, now devotes his life to helping businesses and governments combat data thieves, cybervandals, and other malicious computer intruders. In his bestselling The Art of Deception, Mitnick presented fictionalized case studies that
Published January 1st 2006 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Intrusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Intrusion

Pramod Nair
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The adage is true that the security systems have to win every time, the attacker only has to win once. – Dustin Dykes

Art of Intrusion by Kevin D. Mitnick, the legendary cyber desperado turned computer security consultant, is a compilation of security related case studies presented as fascinating anecdotes or techno-thriller stories, which explains some of the real-life methodologies and exploits that are employed in computer break-ins and cyber crimes. What makes these stories valuable is the fact that instead of wr
Valerie
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book that reminds you, in several different ways, of the importance of defense in depth. A few of the attacks were vague (as warned of by the author who collated the tales), and others just lacked relevant technical details. For example, "the outfit was running a Sun workstation, which is familiar ground for every hacker." - which type of hardware? What was the OS level? Was it unpatched? Still, the stories were entertaining.

My biggest gripe with the book was
Nate
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was not nearly as good as Mitnick's biography "Ghost in the Wires"

I think the target audience was a bit mixed. In some chapters, the authors went to great lengths to explain the technologies they were talking about (e.g. Unicode explanation was almost 1 paragraph.) As if the reader would have no knowledge of technology (or very limited knowledge.)

Then in other chapters, they would mention technologies almost in passing as if everyone knew about it.

I liked
Doug
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is not a textbook, nor is it an account of anything Kevin Mitnick ever did. After reading more about his history I can say that Kevin Mitnick will not be able to write about his experiences until later this year at the earliest.

This book is a collection of short stories detailing OTHER hackers exploits. Mitnick uses these experiences as examples and describes how the attacks could've been prevented. In the majority of cases the exploits described were a result of lazy or in
James
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Mitnick's books that I've read and I really enjoyed it. There was enough technical content to keep the attention of those interested in the details but not too much as to slow down the pace of the book.
The book is split into short stories of other hackers exploits and as a security consultant myself I found the stories both entertaining and thought provoking, if by now a little outdated.
As long as you don't think it's a textbook and appreciate it for what it is I
Elwin Kline
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading Ghost in the Wires by Kevin, I immediately purchased all of his follow-up books: Art of Deception, Art of Intrusion, and Art of Invisibility and went through all of the relatively quickly.

Of the three, this one was my favorite (not counting Ghost in the Wires, which I gave 5/5).

Every chapter in this book is filled with a fun and interesting tale of an invidual who exploits a particular organization, device, vulnerability, and then the results of those actions unfold. F
pluton
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kcls
Published in 2005, most of the action in the book seems to be in the 1990s, which doesn't mean that those attacks are not interesting — they are still applicable today in general, just feel less modern. The stories weren't very interesting because there are not much technical details, which apparently was the authors' idea. It is still good to read and think about those hacking stories: getting access to computers in prison, predicting the results on the casinos' gambling machines (a very simila ...more
Ramel Tranquille
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book that delves into the simple problems of cybersecurity, through multiple interesting stories of 21st and 20th century hackers. Mitnick talks not only about the hacker's of large corporations or those who have gained recognition within the community. He also speaks about the hackers with no expertise, no malicious intent, and only a want to make their lives better and educate themselves. He demonstrates the true side to hacking that gets people involved in the field and the media disr ...more
Jay
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Really interesting read. Obviously, a lot of time has passed since the publication of this read - so there are plenty of more recent exploits. But this is an interesting history of some fascinating and, dare I say, 'fun' ones. Mitnick is an curious fellow - but this isn't about him.
#goodForNerds
Abhishek
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting read which felt a bit short on expectation on account of fairly dated information, though much of it is still applicable, and for being a bit more bloated than it needed to be.

Good insight and call to action for folks who don’t fully understand the importance of and the way to computer security - that is all of us!
Bob
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Somewhat interesting stories, he gives some good lessons to be learned from each one, but obviously they're all the same lessons you'll hear taught by any decent computer security book or article. It was a broad mix of stories, which was good. Can't say I was grabbed by it or learned much that I didn't know before, but it was pretty good.
Daniel Gusev
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story collection - oversold

Kevin Mitnick is a legend, a stories sound nice but they are sold through his household name and established notoriety and not through how well they are told.
Shadow Ninja
Rating 4.5/5, An amazing read, more on seeing what "can" be done and seeing inside the mind of a hacker and how analytical they need to be and definitely recommend this for anyone in IT Security or wanting to learn more about staying secure in technology
Aiman Adlawan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read some books about hacking. And so i grab this book. It has a collection of true hacking stories that i never knew happend. It was quite interesting to know about what anybody can do with computers. Computer is the greatest tool ever made by man.
Kamel Riyad
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The stories on this book are eye opening for anyone working in the IT field. The book is more of a fiction book, it's not a technical book. The technology descried in the book are old Windows 98 etc..
Dennis Cahillane
A mix of best-in-class technical and social engineering advice with stories that are impossible to verify and probably not entirely true. Particularly glaring is a story about the "Iraqi armed forces" speaking Farsi, which is so wrong that it makes the reader question everything else in the book.
Michal Paszkiewicz
An interesting book full of stories that both shock and amaze and providing useful advice for companies who want to ramp up their security.
Max Borysov
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-done
Very interesting. Really enjoyed the book.
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but I haven't enough interest to find the time to finish it/
Lacey
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
More interesting and more technical than The Art of Deception.
Dzung Tran
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone interested in hacking world. Although it's not much great details on how people did it, but it cover amount of amazing information that you may never think of.
Jwduke
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyber-tech-war
Overall I enjoyed this book. There are parts which were unclear. I only would have wanted the Arthur to go into great detail on exactly how the hacker conducted these attacks.
Cecilia
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was interesting, but I expected more.
Venu Gopal
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers, crime
“The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders & Deceivers” is written by Kevin Mitnick and William Simon. Mitnick is possibly the world’s most well-known hacker, is still under a federal gag order which prohibits him from discussing his own hacking exploits. So, he turned to the rest of the hackers of the world to compile this book. The Art of Intrusion is a collection of stories as told by the hackers that did them.

One of the challenges facing
Katsu
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
First of all this book is very old. Newest OS mentioned was, I suppose, Windows XP, and as I remember - only once. Rest of stories was about hacking much, much older computers. But on the other hand some things do not change, and reading about may learn us about mistakes - as it are human mistakes. But here comes "but".
For me, as an IT guy, and not even spec of web, it was extremely hard to read all this explanations for "normal" people. It was just so boring, and so long, and so obvious... Onl
Chris Gilland
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i must say that this is probably one of the best books I have read in quite a long time! It is one of those types of books you start reading, and then simply cannot put down. I personally read it through the NLS. Bard Does indeed have the book, as that is exactly where I obtained it. To me, this book was a major eye-opener two different computer security threats that we face in everyday society. The really awesome part about this book, is at the end of every chapter… Spoiler… There are usually a ...more
Mike
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
A gift from my childhood friend, who I grew up playing computer games with... he went into programming and I went into writing. A lot of the book is beyond my comprehension of network technology, but I was struck just by how much programming/hacking is about trial and error and problem solving. Screenwriting is very much the same, given its rigid structure and the demands of the movie industry, which needs clean, easy to sell product. Social engineering is like pitching ideas and building relati ...more
Brian
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brian by: goodreads
Shelves: hackerspotting
(3.0) Good but Mitnick gets way too much in the way

Mitnick walks us through a few self-reported hacks from other hackers. Some are interesting. I actually thought the first one about slot machines was the coolest. The others Mitnick tries to insert himself, his crimes, his books and website WAY too much. It felt pretty dirty and self-promoting, especially for a book that's really not supposed to be about him.

I also found it a bit inconsistent that he ostensibly spends tho
Ayaan

Chapter 7 Of
Armand
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Very interesting stories but very heavy computer jargon. Ranging from hacking casinos to children helping terrorists, these hackers' tales would likely be hits on the big screen. The only problem with this book is that the author's target audience is a somewhat-seasoned computer user with knowledge of basic computer science.

An ordinary reader with no technological background would probably end up skimming a fourth of the book and still enjoy it, just not as well. If you're one of tho
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box
  • Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World
  • Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous (former) computer hacker, has been the subject of countless news and magazine articles, the idol of thousands of would-be hackers, and a one-time "most wanted" criminal of cyberspace, on the run from the bewildered Feds. Now a security consultant, he has spoken to audiences at conventions around the world, been on dozens of major national TV and radio shows, ...more
“Every time some [developer] says, ‘Nobody will go to the trouble of doing that,’ there’s some kid in Finland who will go to the trouble.” 10 likes
“Every hacker is to some extent a rebel who lives by different standards and enjoys beating the system.” 3 likes