Start by marking “More Than This” as Want to Read:
More Than This

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

More Than This

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  53,088 ratings  ·  7,079 reviews
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked, bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange, deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife.
Published September 5th 2013 by Walker Books (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about More Than This, please sign up.
Miranda Yes there is and it's beautiful.…moreYes there is and it's beautiful.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lippes Yes - and even in two ways!
A brilliant and breath taking start - and a disappointing ending where none of the shown concepts are explained or motivate…more
Yes - and even in two ways!
A brilliant and breath taking start - and a disappointing ending where none of the shown concepts are explained or motivated...
I would SO want to have a Matrix-story that can match with the beginning and really tell a satisfying story beginning to end!(less)
The Song of Achilles by Madeline MillerCall Me By Your Name by André AcimanMaurice by E.M. ForsterAristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzBrokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
Best Gay Fiction
1,954 books — 3,374 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey EugenidesThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Suicide
627 books — 495 voters

More lists with this book...

·  53,088 ratings  ·  7,079 reviews

Start your review of More Than This
karen
this book treated me like a dog treats a ragdoll.
and i have no idea where to begin.

patrick ness has written a game-changer that i'm not even really sure how to approach.

this is a YA novel. i've lost half of you book snobs right there. but i think that is my point. YA has been breaking free of its presumed confines for years. when i was a teen, YA novels were largely disposable, empty-calorie entertainment trifles meant to keep us off the streets, off drugs, and not full of babies. they were e
Regan
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how I still don't know what happened. And I like how that was the point. ...more
Emily May
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, sci-fi, young-adult

Look. Here's the thing. I am not generous with my five star ratings. Five star readings must have shocked me or blown my mind or done something really original or otherwise awesome to get me to throw that final star in their direction. So a four star rating is, for me, really really good. I want you to remember that and realise how good this book is when I say I just expected something more from Ness. Let's make a joke about it: I just expected more than this. Ha. And maybe it's because I'm
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, favorites, owned, 2015
“A book… it’s a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while.”

You should read this.
Because it is beautiful.
Because it is scary.
Because it is mind-blowing.
Because it is nothing like you expect it to be.
Because it is hard not to love Tommy.
Because it is a book like no other.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A book that literally starts with the main character dying and waking up... that's how you make me pick up your book.

More Than This is a YA coming of age book with some LGBTQ+ representation that follow the main character as he struggles to figure out if there's more after life.

Very interesting concept, the book will keep you on your toes and the writing will keep you engage.

(4.5) Totally recommend!
jessica
huh. what an interestingly bizarre story.

ness’ ‘chaos walking’ trilogy is one of my favourite series ever, so i was very eager to finally read some of his other works - but this was not what i was expecting. it was a little strange, a little confusing, but somewhat intriguing.

this rating probably deserves to be higher, but i just dont think i was in the right mindset for something that was so… out there. and i think i need to learn how to set a book aside when that happens and pick it up when
chai ♡
Is this book really going to break my heart? because I have EYES and I'm not afraid to CRY ...more
Brigid ✩
After reading:

GOD DAMN IT PATRICK NESS. GOD. DAMN. ITTTTTTTT.

Well. I guess it's no secret that I'm obsessed with Patrick Ness's work and I worship the ground he walks on and yada yada. I anticipated this book for a long time and then put off reading it forever because ... I don't know, I guess I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

But I shouldn't have doubted, because this book was fantastic. Very emotional, intense, vivid, and engaging, and with a great cast of characters. T
Maureen
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting that to be, but it was not that....in the best way possible.

I loved the characters and the plot and the world......but I don't really want to say much about them.

I'm of the opinion of most everyone else that you should go in knowing as little as possible about this book!
Elle (ellexamines)
"People see stories everywhere," Regine says. "That's what my father used to say. We take random events and we put them together in a pattern so we can comfort ourselves with a story, no matter how much it obviously isn't true. We have to lie to ourselves to live. Otherwise, we'd go crazy."

This is a book about hope. More Than This is about existentialism and is stuffed with insane plot twists. Yes, true. But more importantly, this book tells us there's always hope, as long as we hold on, as
Lara
Um...er...huh.

Well.

----------------

Okay, so, I totally don't know what to make of Patrick Ness at this point. I hated The Knife of Never Letting Go (couldn't even finish it), and absolutely loved A Monster Calls. This? Like I said.

I think the concept is pretty interesting up to a point. And I liked the characters up to a point. And the various mysteries kept me interested up to a point. And, okay, the very very end is really good. I get what Ness is saying here (I think?), but I wish this book w
Lucie
THIS BOOK WILL SCREW WITH YOUR HEAD. (In a good way!)

A boy drowns, alone, in a cold turbulent ocean, waves smashing him into the unforgiving rocks. He succumbs to broken bones, lack of oxygen, and hypothermia... and dies.

.....Then he wakes up. WAIT. What!??

Seth finds himself completely naked, dirty, thirsty, lying on a deserted sidewalk in a completely desolate, empty city. Not another soul in sight.

Ummm...... WHERE is he? What IS this abandoned place?? Is he...... DEAD??? What is happening????

T
Whitney Atkinson
This is a genius idea for a book. It's hard to talk about because it's great going into without knowing much, but I will say I really enjoyed this. From the gay main character to the addicting premise, it was fabulous. I just found myself not really able to connect to the characters, and the ending was a bit too ambiguous for me. But I highly recommend this! ...more
Matthew

While I try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, my overall impression of this book may this time be a spoiler in itself, so proceed with caution!

This is a fairly mind warping dystopian mystery left open to so much interpretation after 470 pages, it's kind of amazing. I mean, after that many pages you would think you have some pretty good idea about what is going on. But, instead, each page adds more to the mystery.

This book was very easy to be intrigued by. The writing is very good and the trouble
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q: Know yourself and go in swinging... (c) And the book does exactly that.

Speculative fiction cross dystopian cross teenage drama at its best.
Q:
A book... It's a world all on its own, too. ... A world made of words... where you live for a while. ...
And then it's over... (c)
Q:
People see stories everywhere...We take random events and we put them together in a pattern so we can comfort ourselves with a story, no matter how much it obviously isn't true...
We have to lie to ourselves to live. Otherwise
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
um, hi, no one talks about this and it pisses me off.

Want a book that tackles topics such as suicide, mental illness, sexuality and homophobia in respectful and realistic ways???

Do you also want entertainment, to die for characters, political intrigue and all that sci-fi goodness??

Read this book. Stop what you're doing and read this book. It might have been lost in the surplus of new releases over the past few years but it still rings so true, and I will never not recommend this book to every
Noelle
Oh, it's Ness review-writing time?

Here's the thing with reviewing Patrick Ness books: I don't want you to read reviews of Patrick Ness books. I want to Panda slap your laptop out of your hand before allowing you to read any details about Patrick Ness books. I want you to skip GO, do not collect $200 dollars and JUST FREAKING READ THEM ALREADY. Save the review browsing for after.

Which might be a bit scandalous to say as a book blogger (goodbye page views!) but: 1) I don't want you to get spoiled
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Terrific blend of I Am Legend + Twilight Zone + The Matrix. I don't love the implied cautionary tale re: technology, but I do love the story structure, characters, and writing. Thomasz has particularly great speech patterns and dialogue, and the story never feels cliche or boring--no small feat when the first 30% consists almost entirely of Seth on his own.

Best read knowing as little about it as possible.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Will M.

I honestly have no idea what to say about the book. To be honest, it was a bit slow and up to more than 250 pages, I was still debating with myself on whether to finish it or not but there is just something about the book which I could not explain that manages to pull me back into it. It’s probably the author’s ability to make the reader ponder on life’s meaning and ambiguities. I guess it’s called "More Than This" for a reason. True to its title, it is going to be more than what you think i
La Coccinelle
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the first book by Patrick Ness that I've read. Judging by some of the other one-star reviews on Goodreads written by fans of his other books (particularly the Chaos Walking trilogy), More Than This may not be a very good representation of his work. Unfortunately, it was my first exposure to the author, and it didn't make a very good first impression. In fact, it made an awful one.

The synopsis of this book makes it sound like it might be some sort of philosophically deep psychological thr
spencer
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-favorites

“Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you’ve got to do is find a way to live there.”

_________________________________

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Patrick Ness has sold me on all of his other books by reading this one. I've read A Monster Calls and immediately after finishing More Than This, I decided to order the Chaos Walking Trilogy. I will buy anything this man writes.

1) The Plot

This book starts off with our main characte
Trudi

Patrick Ness is a magnificent storyteller and master wordsmith in possession of a vibrant imagination. His Chaos Walking trilogy is tremendously unique and exciting, and his A Monster Calls brought me to my knees with its merciless emotional elegance and purity of Truth.

More Than This shows glimpses of greatness, but never quite reaches that level of soul-satisfying, heart-stopping, mind-melting resolution for me. It's an existential tale of seeking -- the search for meaning, for Truth, for und
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
I like this book so much! Gave me the thrills of I, Robot plus The Terminator 2 plus The Matrix plus The X-Men vibes throughout the 4 parts fo the book!

The dystopian feels got so real! And wow. I did check the publication year because I really wanted to believe this book didn't get published that many years ago (of course, it did!).

But hell yes, this book talks real sht.

***Calm down, reader. Calm down***

*Warnings for domestic violence, self-harm, suicidal tendencies, death and grief, homophobi
Elena
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F***.

Patrick Ness just outdid himself.
Bea
Mai
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
G A M E O V E R

Review Updat: I just noticed that Patrick Ness chose only one design for the cover for all editions and versions, and it doesn't take an FBI agent to divulge the deepest, darkest secrets of the mysterious book cover, and to why Patrick Ness has never changed it.

I feel like I've been severely beaten up by an Arnold Schwarzenegger, I mean, I'm seriously sore all over, and I thought a human being can't have a sore brain, but oh, there's always more to everything.

I've never thought th
shady boots
Patrick Ness? More like Patrick YESSSSSSSSSS.

Man, did this book give my mind a hard fucking. It's the kind of book that, from the very first page, immediately makes you want to know:

A.) What happened,
B.) What is happening, and
C.) What's going to happen.

Of course, those three questions would only be three out of the seven hundred and fifty thousand nine hundred and twenty six other questions you'll have swirling around in your head, and unfortunately only half of that will probably get answered i
Adam Silvera
Love the last two pages a lot.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.75*
The writing was fantastic, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Honestly it was an incredible book, but not the kind I like to read, thus the slightly low rating.
Lotte
I think Patrick Ness just loves writing about survival. I know this probably sounds weird coming from somebody who’s only read two books by him (The Knife of Never Letting Go and obviously, More Than This), but while these books had completely different plot lines and characters, I couldn’t help but see the similarities. They both had very different, yet very distinct voices and were about people who are fighting to survive in their own way, while also questioning their existence, the meaning of ...more

• They Both Die at the End
  • We Are the Ants
  • More Happy Than Not
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson
  • I'll Give You the Sun
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • Autoboyography
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Boy Meets Boy
  • We Are Okay
  • Radio Silence
  • We Were Liars
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • The Song of Achilles
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the C