Start by marking “Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book” as Want to Read:
Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book

Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book

Tim has worked with over 100 different authors from top best sellers such as Hugh Howey, Daniel Pink, Charles Duhigg, Chip and Dan Heath, Ramit Sethi and Pamela Slim to authors just get started on their first writing project. He has worked with authors across all fiction and non-fiction genres. Along with his client work, he has studied many other successful authors to lea ...more
Published June 24th 2013 by Out:think

To ask other readers questions about Your First 1000 Copies, please sign up.
Peter Whittlesey I can't think of a better book. We're just launching our own book and the advice Tim gives is easy to understand and hopefully not too difficult to…moreI can't think of a better book. We're just launching our own book and the advice Tim gives is easy to understand and hopefully not too difficult to implement. For example, we would never have thought of getting about 25 people to read our books and write reviews they can post to Amazon on the day we launch our book. Just reaching out to 25 friends and colleagues was a step we would never have contemplated. That's just the tip of the iceberg. And just as valuable are his free, and I mean free with nothing to buy, lessons you can sign up for.

I spoke too soon about the free part. He's now come up with different programs someone can buy into. I'm not into that, and think he was getting all of "us" followers hooked so that we wouldn't mind spending $500 or $1000 to have our book become a best seller. Sure...(less)

Ksenia Anske
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If there is only one book you’ll read on book marketing, make it this one. It’ll take you less than two hours, and it’ll give you a clear roadmap on where to go and what to do and how, plus lots of resources along the way for you to accomplish it. A little gem of a book I wish I’d read earlier in my writing career. SO GET ON IT.
J.A. McLachlan
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be straightforward, easy to read, and full of excellent marketing tips for authors. Although it is aimed at those who self-publish, it is applicable to any author, as publishers nowadays do very little to market the books they print. The best thing about it is that the marketing ideas are easily applied by new authors as well as those who have some experience marketing their books. So often, I find books like this are written for those who have very advanced technological sk ...more
Kara Jorgensen
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Clear, concise, and open for interpretation between fiction and non-fiction writers. I would probably give this a 4.5 because I wish he focused more on fiction authors in some sections, which leads me to figure out ways to adapt certain tactics. Can't wait to implement some of his ideas.
Carlton Brown
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
At a general level this is a book well worth reading, simple to digest with pragmatic advice - But its missing something important for new authors & those new to assembling their social media platform presence (SMP) de novo (esp. www-site/blogging around your area of expertise).

This book is predicated on Tims Connection System: Permission, Content, Outreach, and Sell. Within each chapter he provides good common sense / practical guidance on how to implement this system. HOWEVER - look at th
Derek Bailey
As I recently self-published a book of my own, I take great interest in any source of new information regarding improving my writing and bolstering my book sales, so this book certainly felt like something worthwhile. It also came recommended to me by several people with varying degrees of familiarity with the work. In review of the synopsis and looking over the author's credentials, I has to agree that this seemed like a good read. It had good reviews too so I figured this would be well worth a ...more
Kourtney
This little book is packed with information that I can't wait to apply to my next book release. My last book release had me dreading promotion, but Tim Grahl's handbook has given me the tools and the perspective to dive into the next book launch with gusto. I can't believe how helpful this book is! Thanks, Tim!
R.A. White
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is easy to read and easy to comprehend. For a tech-challenged fantasy lover like myself, some of the suggestions are less easy to implement (Start a blog? Create a legal mailing list?), but I did it, and if I can do it, believe me, so can you. And if you really can't, get a teen to help you. I still don't 'have it all together', but I'm doing better as an author and I'm having more fun than I used to. Mr. Grahl's teaching on building a platform and marketing is SO important, and puttin ...more
Mark Speed
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A really valuable book. This man knows more than all these 'gurus' who sell courses. Good, solid advice from a man who walks the walk and who has helped countless people. I've recommended it to other people.
Amy Wells
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of food for thought, with some actionable ideas. Somewhat vague in areas, but good for anyone whose looking for ideas to market his or her book.
Max III
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
200 pages to say "start a newsletter and ask people to buy your book"
Justin McRoberts
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super helpful look at the self-publishing world. More practical advice than Seth Godin (under whom Grahl studied) but equally inspiring.
Honoree
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors
Must read for self-published authors. Great info!
Courtney Wells
Not even done with my outline yet BUT let's have a glance in case it has some kernel or pearl portion of wisdom that I should be embracing well-before it's all said and done.
Peter Knox
I’ve been a professional book marketer for a dozen years, but I’m never not looking to learn from others in the game. Tim and his book have been on my radar for years; I’ve attended his webinars, watched his videos, and learned from his content.

When I stumbled upon his book that’s been in my pile for almost five years, I had to read it if just to find a different way of working with authors to make them better, even just a new case study or metaphor.

Of course this book has them (even some case
Janine Prince
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know Tim Grahl does great work, but this was even more useful than I expected. His 'connection' system is based on sound marketing principles, is well explained, well set out, and given good examples. That's what I expected from him. The 'bonus' material is online and integrated seamlessly. Tim is as he suggests we be: relentlessly helpful.
What I didn't expect and also really value are the "this is how the big kids play" insights that pepper the book. Sometimes the mindset is what helps to com
Kory Shrum
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Useful information that is good to know, if a bit repetitive.
Brianna Silva
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. 100% practical, 0% fluff. Every writer who wants to get better at marketing should read this. I learned so much from it. I expect I'll reread sections, or even the whole thing, quite a lot in the future.
Yvonne Carder
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Invaluable info!

I've already implemented several of Tim's ideas and I'm looking forward to getting more of my connection system built. I love the links with up to date info. Thank you for being so helpful and genuine.
Frances Thompson
A strong 3.5 but I'm feeling generous. Furthermore the book is currently priced at $0.99 or £0.99 on Kindle which is a very fitting price tag.

Let me explain how I came across this book as it goes a long way to highlight Grahl's key messages and takeaways.

I'm a long time listener to the Self Publishing Podcast, on which the author Tim Grahl was a guest a few months ago. He shared worthy comments about Internet Marketing, a term that makes me feel both icky and inadequate as an independent publish
Colleen Wainwright
Any truly useful guide to navigating the new media landscape is necessarily going to provide a flexible, "basic" framework, and leave the specifics to be covered elsewhere.

So while there are other great guides for authors who publish (and self-publish)—Booklife is probably the most thorough one I've come across, and Christina Katz's Get Known Before the Book Deal was written especially with "writer mamas" in mind—Tim Grahl's is my current go-to book both for writers looking to understand the co
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
As we begin the run-up to the publication of A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas, this marketing guide had good advice for authors about the four things they must do to build up interest and make book sales: Permission, Content, Outreach, and Sell. As author Grahl says, surprisingly, authors often have the most trouble with the 4th thing, since they don't want to come across as all "sales-y." Lots of practical (if technical) advice and links from a book ma ...more
C.T. Mitchell
I Was Disappointed

I bought this book after reading a 5 star review. In particular it was a comment around this book tells you what works and what doesn't.

Hmmm I didn't find the answer except the author is pro email marketing and questions the effectiveness of social media marketing. But I don't think he gave enough clarification to support his argument. One thing I did find amazing was the authors choice examples to promote his point of view. I was interested in discovering CJ West's email cam
Eddie Jong
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Good, solid advice
In preparation for my debut novel being released next week, I have been doing a lot of research on how to best market my book.

The trick is always to find books that will actually add value, and is not just an arbitrary person's attempt to make a quick buck, by throwing some random thoughts together and presenting it in a fancy cover.

This book adds value, and has solid advice that can be implemented immediately. I have implemented most of the principles described, and can defin
Gary Hansen
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is useful material, and the author's list of clients shows he must know his stuff. But as a book it is not a home run. If one has not done any exploration of platform building through blogging, it is probably a good first summary of what to do and why. I personally found the free ebooks given away on Copyblogger more informative--and certainly better edited.

There are many places he refers readers to a website for a specific page of current content. The couple I checked redirected to his co
Andrea
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Really good, really quick little guide to book marketing. I think this would be good whether you're a self-publisher or following a more traditional route. The reality is, all writers need to be marketers these days, and this book gives you easy steps you can follow to sell more books without feeling like a sleazy spammer. Pair it with David Gaughran's Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books and you'd have a pretty solid system to start marketing your books.
Lauriane
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great system

This book has been an eye opener for me. I'm an aspiring author and reading this book allowed to better understand what works and why. I was about to fall into the same pitfalls as many authors. This system is comprehensive, easy enough to apply and Tim Grahl explained the reasoning behind each step, which makes this system, a well educated and applicable process.
I would recommend this book to any authors because information provided is applicable to all writers.
This is a great read
Elizabeth Barone
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best book on marketing for authors—hands down. I had a marketing plan in progress before I even got halfway through, and by the time I finished, I had a thorough understanding of how to sell my books and continue to grow my platform. Tim Grahl is a genius. I can't wait to put all of these instructions into practice! I already have a six-month content schedule for both my blog and email list. I can't recommend this book enough!
Kevin T Johns
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book, focusing on marketing from a human connection perspective. Not a lot of talk about technology or sales copy, just real relationship development. I found the section and re-packaging content in new formats especially helpful. Definitely worth a read if you are in the world of book promotion.
Shane Wall
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Plain and simple...if you're a self-published author, it's a must read. PLEASE pay close attention to where he says to go on his website to view the latest developments that he recommends. He hasn't given me one bad recommendation yet, that I could find.
Jeff Parker
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book from Tim.

Straightforward and simple to bring to bear all recommendations.

Try it with this one "How I Sold 80,000 Books" by Alinka Rutkowska.

You'll be topping the best seller list in no time.
For all entrepreneurs 1 7 Feb 13, 2014 06:32AM
  • How To Market A Book
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur. How to Publish a Book
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • How to Make a Living As a Writer
  • The Authentic Swing: Notes From the Writing of a First Novel
  • Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead: What Every Business Can Learn from the Most Iconic Band in History
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • Supercharge Your Kindle Sales: Simple Strategies to Boost Organic Traffic on Amazon, Sell More Books, and Blow Up Your Author Mailing List (Book Marketing for Authors #1)
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Write Your Novel in a Month: How to Complete a First Draft in 30 Days and What to Do Next
  • How I Made Over $42,000 in 1 Month Selling My Kindle eBooks
“The fundamental difference between someone you trust and someone you don’t is your belief in whether or not they are looking out for your best interest above their own.” 2 likes
“Friends are people that are willing to tell me when I’m making stupid decisions as well as encourage me onward when I’m making smart ones.” 1 likes