Start by marking “The Caretakers of the Cosmos: Living Responsibly in an Unfinished World” as Want to Read:
The Caretakers of the Cosmos: Living Responsibly in an Unfinished World

The Caretakers of the Cosmos: Living Responsibly in an Unfinished World

Why are we here? Human beings have asked themselves this question for centuries. Modern science largely argues that human beings are chance products of a purposeless universe, but other traditions believe humanity has an essential role and responsibility in creation.

Lachman brings together many strands of esoteric, spiritual, and philosophical thought to form a
Published November 15th 2013 by Floris Books (first published August 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Caretakers of the Cosmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caretakers of the Cosmos

Start your review of The Caretakers of the Cosmos: Living Responsibly in an Unfinished World
Kingsley L. Dennis
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
On The Road to Being 'fully human':

This latest offering from Gary Lachman shows a development and maturity in the writer's thinking. It is, in some ways, a continuation of the ideas & thinking put forth in the writer's previous works such as 'The Secret History of Consciousness' and 'The Quest for Hermes Trismegistus'. At its heart is the notion that 'being 'fully human' is what many people avoid...'In our climate of insignificance, we are more comfortable with the "only human"'
Steve Greenleaf
At the end of my review of Gary Lachman’s Beyond the Robot, I joked that I now had a conundrum to resolve: whether to read another Lachman book next or one by Wilson. As it turned out, I had Lachman’s The Caretakers of the Cosmos: Living Responsibly in an Unfinished World (2013) on my Kindle, so it got the nod. Upon plunging in, I realized that I’d read it before, rather hurriedly, probably right after completing A Secret History of Consciousness. I hadn’t reviewed it, and my enthusiasm spurred ...more
Martin Shone
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of Gary Lachman's I've read (the first being Turn Off Your Mind) and once again a very enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to my next.

His writing is deep and thoughtful but easy on the eye and it reaches in to those parts of the mind that need a little awakening and this book does just that.
Wendy 'windmill'
Brilliant!

An excellent follow on from The Secret History of Consciousness. Helped me to understand hermeticism (?)& gnosticm better, using simpler terms that I could follow, which was good.

Thoroughly enjoying Gary's work & development.
Mitch
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book of unsettling depth

Lachman, one of my favorite writers, has in this book, delved into metaphysical depths which causes one to question and realize, simultaneously, one's place in the Cosmos. This is a book of unsettling depth, which gives us insight and encouragement to take our place as true caretakers of the Cosmos
Rhyk
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramble but wonderful

Very nicely done review of the poetic/scientific versus the materialistic/scientistic. Author is widely--and deeply--read. Plus you get bonus meaning of life insight!
Aaron
Jul 08, 2014
Fernando Fernandes
Dec 14, 2015
Mikko Ojanen
rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2016

• Anima: An Anatomy of a Personified Notion
  • The Philosophers’ Secret Fire: A History of the Imagination
  • The Secret Tradition of the Soul
  • The Philosopher's Stone
Gary Lachman is an American writer and musician. Lachman is best known to readers of mysticism and the occult from the numerous articles and books he has published.
“Post-modernism ‘ironises’ out all questions of meaning. It reduces everything to the ‘been there, done that’ mentality, and shrinks the world to a theory of everything that can fit on a T-shirt. It lets us off the hook. We no longer have to be good, just good enough. It lowers the existential bar, and moves the metaphysical goal posts closer, or gets rid of them entirely.” 0 likes
“Each act of imagination, each moment of creative life stands up to the entire material universe and affirms the reality of meaning against the corroding solvents of entropy, dark matter, or whatever else may be dragging the physical world into oblivion.” 0 likes