Start by marking “Death's Academy” as Want to Read:
Death's Academy

Death's Academy

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  71 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The Death’s Academy entrance exam for Midnight Smith is quickly approaching. There’s just one problem: Midnight is the worst exam taker the academy has ever seen. If Midnight wants to ever step foot inside the school, he’ll have to join forces with the hated Guardian Angels, and together face the deadliest creatures in the world—the dreaded Unicorns. Becoming a Grim Reaper ...more
Published January 14th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published January 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Academy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Death's Academy
Hamster
I don't read a lot of middle grade. The simplicity bothers me...I need more substance. I guess that means I might actually be maturing a little. (After 32 years, it's probably time.)
But my advanced age didn't prevent me from laughing out loud regularly at the scatological humor (and the dry wit) of this awesome author. Seriously one of the best MG's I've read and definitely one of the best voices EVER. I read it to my wife and we were both giggling.
I was a little sad when the great voice took a
Heather
I read this book aloud to my sons last year, and it quickly became one of their all-time favorites. For a little boy, what's not to love? Death's Academy is reminiscent of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, with a little bit of Captain Underpants for color.

Midnight Smith comes from a long line of deaths (the ones that help all people--and creatures for that matter--"cross over"). He hopes to be able to attend Deaths' Academy where he can follow in the footsteps of his family
Rachel McClellan
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author invited me to read this book, and I’m so glad I did! It's the kind of book I love: full of imagination, creativity, action, and humor. It’s about a boy named Midnight who, surprisingly so, gets into Death’s Academy where he is trained to be a grim reaper. How cool is that? But then the author had to up the coolness by adding evil unicorns!!

Midnight’s voice was spot on. This helped draw me into the story early, despite a somewhat slow beginning. I also enjoyed the humor mixed in with d
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I want to thank Cedar Fort Publishing for sending me a copy of this book to read and review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Jinky
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This read was very entertaining. The imagination factor fits the bill for middle schoolers ..adventurous, funny, and downright wacky! This world that the author created included halos (guardian angels), hoodies (grim reaper family), shorties (humans and other earthly living creatures), and unicorns (enemies). Sounds like a world that boys at play would come up with. I don’t mean the exact story, but something equally over the top. So make room for your kids’ book shelves because once they get a ...more
Rhonda
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

Death's Academy is a fun adventure series. It takes a different look at life and death, heroes and hoodies. I am just a shorty and I bet you are too. The youth have their own game using a skull. (I never want to play that game) Their are bad guys which are Unicorns. Very fresh ideas.

The plot is Midnight Smith wants to get in Death's Academy. His family can't afford to get him a mentor. His family name is made fun of but he does not know why. He plays pretty good on his team. He does not
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

If you are looking for a middle grade fantasy sort of book for boys and girls alike, this just might be your book. The main character is a boy named Midnight and his best friend is a genius girl named Mal. Everyone ought to have a best friend like Mal. She invents way cool stuff and she does animal speak. I really liked Mal.

I'm not so sure I'm the biggest fan of Midnight. He breaks rules without remorse, he is disrespectful to his parents and other authority figures, he lies and he snea
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Midnight (Night for short) was born to be a Reaper. He has to pass an exam to get into Death's Academy to fulfill his goal. He struggles with passing the exam because his family cannot afford a mentor to help him, he really doesn't have the discipline to do it on his own.

He is an excellent roller, a key position on his team. He figures that he will use his skills to get into the academy. His quest is not an easy one. There are challenges and obstacles to be faced with his friends.

Night is a very
Courtney Rose Sampson
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Never a dull moment. Bast puts a wonderful spin on the way we traditionally view these sorts of concepts. I look forward to a sequel.
Cassi Harvey
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a goodreads first reads giveaway and I didn't know what to expect from this book but it did not disappoint. I couldn't put the book down and I finished it in a day ...more
Carolyn warren
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good! I'm ready for the next one. Is there a next one?

I am waiting for the title of the series is there going to be one soon? I am looking forward to it.
Cindy
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
What do you get when you take hoodies, angels, unicorns, and humans and combine it with gumdrops, lollipops and candy? Well, you get the world that was created for Death's Academy by Michael Bast.

I came across Death's Academy by accident while browsing my library's website. The synopsis appeared to be a combination of a Harry Potter meets Percy Jackson concept mixed with the humor that is found in Diary of a Wimpy Kid. So, I figured I'd give it a shot and I am glad I took a chance, as this novel
Jessica
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Pure pandemonium. That's how I'd describe Death's Academy. Of course, I mean this in a completely positive way. This book falls way outside a lot of Middle Grade fiction I've read lately, and I loved it for that. It's funny, it's random, and it has a whole bunch of heart. If you're looking for a book that will make your young reader laugh out loud? You've found it. Bast's story plays to all the things young readers love, and it's a pretty fun romp for us adult readers too!

Midnight Smith, or Nig
Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Death's Academy is a middle grade book that is just so much fun. I don't read many middle grade books for my blog, but every once in a while one comes my way that I just can't let slip by me. And Death's Academy looked like some magical fun. And it was all that and more. Death's Academy is a school for "hoodies" aka reapers and "halos" aka angels.

Midnight or Night for short is a reaper, who is scared of not passing h
Heather

How to describe this book... well I liked it. At first I really didn't like Midnight ("Night"). In fact, for half of the book I thought he was an arrogant, egotistical brat! He lies, disrespects his parents, doesn't seem to respect anyone, and is just plan rude. Good news, after the first half you barely notice this and he grown (both on you and as a character).

The other complaint I would have is that it takes half
Alyssa hoffmaster
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Review of Death's Academy on my blog: The Book Blog Experience

I don’t usually read or review middle grade novels but when I was asked to review this book I couldn’t say no. The summary sounded different and I wanted to give it a try.

Death’s academy was fast paced and has such a different take on the good vs. evil that we are accustomed too.

This book is about a boy named midnight who wants to get into Death’s Academy, which is a school that when you turn 12 you can take an exam and continue sch
Emmy
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A young boy named Midnight is wondering how he is going to pass his exam, a test that will determine the rest of his future. This isn't just any exam though, this is his exam to see if he can make it into Death Academy and train to become a grim reaper.

This middle school aged book is a cute fun story. Midnight is faced with challenges over coming his father's failed reputation, making Midnight a big of an outcast by default. He also has normal boy problems including playing in a big game against
Dena (Batch of Books)
Even though this book is called Death's Academy, Night (the main character) doesn't actually spend any time at the Academy. The book is about him worrying over his entrance exam and saving his society from psychotic unicorns. Since this is the first book in a series, I'm guessing that the next book will introduce us to the actual Academy.

In some ways, Death's Academy is similar to many other middle grade fantasy novels. However, the setting, the humor, and the unique villains are what made the b
Cass
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reapers, Guardian Angels, and Unicorns. You think this is a weird combination? It makes for the perfect story though. Luckily, I was able to get this book for free through a Goodreads contest and I'm so happy I did. This book was an interesting twist on the subject and I loved every second of it. At first, I thought the illustrations in the book would make me feel like a child, like why not just describe it to me, but it actually enhanced the story a lot. A few things I never would have thought ...more
Gina Hott
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 9-14-boys, dnf
Hott Synopsis:

Night isn’t sure how he managed to fail the test but he did. Now he only gets one more chance to show that he too can be a reaper. He can follow that family tradition or honor instead of traipsing along in his father’s footsteps – whatever that means.
But after a brush with the law Night finds himself even more unsure and determined.

Hott Review:

I’m on the fence with this one.
What I liked: I really enjoyed the writing style. It was intriguing & kept me reading even though I wasn’t e
Tarah
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a fun little book that I can't wait to read with my kids (although, I think they might need to be a little older than they are right now). I thought it was fun how things are switched in this book. How Grim Reapers aren't bad, Angels make mistakes, and Unicorns are not to be messed with. I had a bit of trouble with the formatting, but I'm hoping that since I had an advanced eCopy, all those problems would be taken care of. It also sets itself up for a sequel, which sometimes I just wish ...more
Jessica Watkins
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read this aloud on a road trip to my children and my husband. They all loved it. It was a cute story with a great amount of humor. The main character Night is sort of a jerk but it is written for kids and this is typical behavior of many kids this age and it really lets kids relate to things they are probably thinking and grabs their attention. I hope that my kids identified that behavior and realize that it is "not cool" to talk like that! Very interesting turn on normal th ...more
Shauna
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a FUN book!
A GREAT story to read together as a family!
A PERFECT summer read ~ especially for young boys!

The opening scene is Midnight Smith trying to plan the demise of a chipmunk.

WHY? Because he has an exam coming up...

An exam to achieve entrance into the Death's Academy...

For you see, he wants to be a "reaper."

But things go wrong in more ways than one...

And Midnight will have to "join forces with the hated Guardian Angels."

Trouble with school~
Trouble with parents~
Dungeons~
Old crazy hags~
A
Deborah
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through First Reads and am very excited to review it. I loved the world that the author has created and the main character, Night, has a dry wit to his voice that had me laughing aloud . I assumed at first that this book would be better suited to a younger audience than myself but I was surprised to find that I didn't want to put the book down! The book hinted at further adventures to come in this series and I would happily continue reading Michael Bast! ...more
Diane Tolley
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tweens
Recommended to Diane by: Michael Bast
I haven't had this much fun in a long time! Since I finished the Harry Potter series, in fact. Midnight Smith is trying to get into school. But not your ordinary school. This is Death's Academy, where future Grim Reapers receive their shrouds!
And poor Night's chances of getting in are growing slimmer and slimmer.
Non-stop action and some hair-raising escapes make this one sweet read for any tween readers!
I highly recommend it!
Yvonne
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print, 2014, 2014-rbc
If you are looking for a good book to read aloud to middle graders (or to recommend to MG readers) this would be it. It's funny, irreverent, has lots of action and a hero that you've just gotta love. This book will appeal to both boys and girls.

I received a copy of this book from the author as the winner of an blog review and giveaway at Me, My Shelf and I http://www.memyshelfandi.com/2014/06/...
Mary
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tween, chapter-books
This started out kind of funny, kind of interesting, and kind of different, but it got too cutesy with all of the unicorns - albeit evil unicorns - and their, quite literally, candy-coated weaponry, tools, and secret lair. The ending was a little too pat. Also, the whole concept of the good guys being grim reapers became less original and more creepy the more I thought about it.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this cute book. I ended up sharing my copy with my 10 year old niece and she loved it also.
I laughed several times throughout the book. If you liked the Harry Potter series you will most likely like this one also.
Melody
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a 44 year old reading a middle grade book, I have to say that this was really cute. I liked Midnight and who he was and became. He was real, yet tried to do his best, regardless of the personal outcomes. A great book for young kids. Good, clean...a killer book.
Jennie
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun! A bit disrespectful and the main character is a brat, but a fun read anyway.
Michael Bast was born in the hostile deserts of Arizona where outside of a handful of years he has lived his entire life. What is odd is that each year around May he begins to wonder why he still lives in Arizona as the temperatures rise and simmer in the triple digits.
Mike's background is in film-making where he created several documentaries and independent films. He loves movies, sports and tort

News & Interviews