Start by marking “Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saga, Vol. 1  (Saga, #1)

Saga, Vol. 1

(Saga (Collected Editions) #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  255,344 ratings  ·  13,324 reviews
When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fight ...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by Turtleback Books (first published October 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Saga, Vol. 1, please sign up.
KJ Tribe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nuno Tuna These are Adult Comics. Graphically and conceptually. I see a lot of people talking about excessive sex and profanity but the same people don't make t…moreThese are Adult Comics. Graphically and conceptually. I see a lot of people talking about excessive sex and profanity but the same people don't make the same remarks about the physical violence. Not that I'm especially shocked about it but considering the percentage of both I'd say violence wins.(less)

·  255,344 ratings  ·  13,324 reviews

Start your review of Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)
Patrick
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merciful Buddha, this was so good.

It's *so* good I wish I hadn't started reading it so soon. Now I have to wait for the next book to come out.

I hate it when I have to wait the next book in a series to come out.

Don't you hate it when you have to wait for the next book in a series to come out?
karen
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo IMG_4186_zpsffbcqbmk.jpg

this question is a reaction to the sight of this:

photo IMG_4182_zpshpjd5hgd.jpg

but it could be asked in response to seeing many of the other creatures appearing in this story.

it's got unicorn people

seahorse people

photo IMG_4178_zpsfewsandy.jpg

and … this

photo IMG_4181_zps7e8bw1pn.jpg

the story centers around a second timeless question:

photo IMG_4175_zpsswftkh6w.jpg

why, these two assholes, that's who:

photo IMG_4177_zpszc5e9abc.jpg

these incredibly attractive characters are supposed to hate each other, due to the longstanding war between their respective peoples, but they
NReads
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I am do drawn to this story, I just am. Just as great as the first time I read it.
Emily May
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
There's an awful lot of crap in the graphic novel world, but it's strangely wonderful little gems like Saga, Vol. 1 that make rummaging through the rest of it feel completely worth the effort. This first volume is a bizarre, imaginative and very funny beginning to what I'm hoping will be a fantastic series. I've read bits here and there of Vaughan's work in the past but this is the first one to make me need to see what else he has in store for us. I honestly have no idea how he comes up with thi ...more
Cristina Monica

Woah. I mean, woah. There are so many things to love about this comic. The plot, the atmosphere, the characters, the action, the magic… those things… oh my. What I’ve seen so far impressed me, grandly, and if it weren’t because I highly wanted to review this book right away, I would be right this moment halfway through the second volume. Goddamn cliffhanger. Loved it.

Now, this comic is composed of so many elements that I never dreamed I would one day come to mightily admire, such as monsters, we
Zoë
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This universe looks so cool. I can't stop staring at the characters and the vivid worlds. It's gorgeous.
However, the plot itself isn't as unique or fleshed out, and there are quite a few upsetting moments. For example, the unnecessary use of the "r" word. (view spoiler)
It is often vulgar with explicit sex scenes, strong language, gore, and violence.
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ by: ⒶH-ℳℰⒾ ♔♚♛Queen Of The Fat Cats♛♚♔
5 Awesomely Raunchy Sci-Fi Stars

This was only my second graphic novel ever, so obviously I’m no expert; but this was seriously entertaining as fuck and unlike anything I’ve ever read before. I am totally a new fan.

Give me more.
Federico DN
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Two species at war across the universe, an unlikely love, and an impossible child.

On a distant planet called Cleave, an impossible baby girl is born. Her parents, Marko, a moonie from Wreath, and Alana, a soldier from Landfall. Two different species at war since a long forgotten time, waging war relentlessly through all the vastness of the universe. An unlikely love, the arrival of a beautiful baby daughter, and a prophecy that foretells the death of millions, if not billions. Their respective f
Kayla Dawn
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
uhmmmmm YES - I'm in love
Anne
So. Saga, right?

description

I was starting to feel like the only person in the universe who hadn't read Vaughan's supposedly fantastic title. But I don't generally go for the weird shit. Especially if they don't wear spandex.
And I knew if I hated this, the comic book mafia would be coming for me.
I'm a big enough person that I can admit that I was really really a little scared of my fellow nerdlings being disappointed in me.
However, unlike my fear of giant soul sucking spiders, this fear turned out to be f
Kemper
Some of the elements in Saga:

1) Star crossed lovers who were soldiers in opposing armies of an intersteller war who have a baby and are being hunted by both sides.
2) A royal family comprised of humanistic robots with TVs for heads.
3) Magic
4) Ghosts.
5) A bounty hunter with a giant cat that acts as a lie detector.
6) A forest that grows wooden rocketships

And that’s just the start.

I’m a huge fan of Vaughan’s Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina so no surprise that I loved this. What is surprising is just
Steph Sinclair
Oh my goodness. I need the next one immediately. Loved the story, artwork and premise. Didn't love some of the language. Review to come.

-------

FINALLY READING THIS. \(^o^)/

photo FullSizeRender_zpsrd0srzjc.jpg
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $3.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Before anything else, it must be said that SAGA is the most beautiful and hideous, the most hopeful and fatalistic, the most graphic, and the most adorable thing I have ever read or seen.

It is ALL the things.

The very first page of the very first chapter sets the tone for the whole series (thus far):

description

You're slapped in the face with the wonder and the ICK of childbirth. Some of you might think the bodily fluids, the
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
Me at 1 AM:

Hmmm, a few pages before bed won't hurt, I'll just read the first chapter for now.

Me at 3:30 AM:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I NEED THE SECOND BOOK AT ONCE

(note that this is a school night)
(because no biggie)
(#noragretz)

One word to sum it all up: unfuckingputdownable.

Carmen
"This is what I get for marrying a vegetarian! Even the goddamn PLANTS want us dead!"

Listen, I understand that this is a media darling.

But I find it very hard to enjoy stories/books/comics/tv/movies where the world that is featured and spent time in is a world where it's completely normal to enslave six-year-old girls for prostitution, people talk about murdering other people - children, and infants - as if it ain't no thing, torture, rape, and woman-hating are everyday and commonplace.

You could
Roxane
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling characters and world building. Sometimes the dialogue is just... off and offensive but not in a charming way.
Alejandro
Mind-blowing material!

This collected volume features issues #1-6 from the comic book series “Saga”.

Creative Team:

Writer: Brian K. Vaughan

Illustrator: Fiona Staples

GOT SAGA?

My name is Hazel. -- I started out as an idea, but I ended up something more. -- Not much more, to be honest. It’s not like I grow up to become some great war hero or any sort of all-important savior... -- ...but thanks to these two (her parents), at least I get to grow old. -- Not everybody does.

I had heard many p
Navessa
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words. Just emotions.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Amanda
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kick-ass, blog, comics
How to describe Saga? It's like someone took Firefly, coated it liberally in WTF, and sprinkled a little Quentin Tarantino on top. Yeah, it's some wonderfully messed up stuff.

The planet Landfall is at war with one of its moons, known as Wreath. The indigenous people of Landfall seem reliant on technology and sport some nifty little insect-like wings, while the people of Wreath have horns (they may be my favorites as each character in the later issues has horns varying from rhino, to antelope, to
✨    jamieson   ✨
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
THE ART IS NICE and I really love the characters too this was super great? Full review to come
Sean Barrs
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Alexa
What just happened?

Time for uninformative review #2864, yay and stuff!

Coolest husband/wife team ever

Baby narrative

Lying cat

Ghost kids

Funny

“This is was I get for marrying a vegetarian! Even the goddam plants want us dead!”

Sextillion

Cheap romance recs being thrown at me again

People with television set heads doing...things

▧ PG-13 version:

X-rated version

Sexy freelancer with a heart. Sort of.

Tree spaceship

So. What just happened?

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4? 4.5?

I'm not sure what I expected but certainly not this!
Adam Silvera
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
YO YO YO YO. Buying the rest of the series PRONTO. I read this on the subway and was happy when I got lost because it led to an extra 40 minutes of reading time. SO DAMN ADDICTIVE.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

OMG! THIS NOVEL IS FREAKING AMAZING!

This is one crazy world! You have some crazy peeps up in here and peep things, they is also some great snark :-) Gotta love the snark!

So Alana and Marko have a little girl but this is forbidden because they are different and how knows about all of that stupid political stuff with all the rules. But these two didn't follow the rules and had a little girl :-)

Then a few minutes after having the baby some freak with an old t
Megan Johnson
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
When I first picked this up on recommendation from a friend, I was worried that it might be a bit too.... Out there for me. However, I was pleasantly surprised at just how emotion packed and beautiful this really is.

The first installment of Saga tells the beginnings of a girl named Hazel. Violence, lack of understanding, and new parents taking on opposition - everything in this read will leave you NEEDING to know what is going to happen next.

What did I think?: I'm not a big comic reader but I co
Shelly Strange
Sooooo, I finally jumped on the Saga wagon... I have had the first two volumes sitting on my shelf and I was 99.999999999% sure I was gonna love it - and I did! Of course, now I'm saying, "Why did you wait so long?!' and all that.

Everybody has already read and reviewed this. People who don't read graphic novels have read this! So, I can't really say much that hasn't already been said. I'll just say that it has a trope I like: the star-crossed lovers. Alana and Marko's peoples have been warring s
Andrea Ashwood
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books
Oookay... so that was Strange.
Bloody. Gross. And... original.

OMG. Really like it! 👏🏼
I will continue with the series today. 🤗

Review coming soon...
Michael Finocchiaro
From the start, this series is fantastic. The Romeo and Juliet storyline, the artwork, the great ideas. What happens when a woman from warrior culture with wings falls in love with a man from her enemy’s planet with horns? The story is told by their child. It is a pure joy to read. Highly, highly recommended for all fans of Sci-Fi!
Nat
description

I just finished reading this and WOW. Definitely not what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it immensely.
The artwork is fantastic and I’m really intrigued by the plot.
I’ve heard great things about this series, so I’m glad that I finally picked this one up. It was a great quick read.
I’m excited to start volume 2 next!

This review and more can be found on my blog.
Play Book Tag: (Poll Ballot Tally) Saga Vol 1 by Brian K. Vaughan - 3 stars 1 5 Oct 11, 2020 02:09PM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - April 27 3 7 Apr 27, 2020 12:22PM
I Read Comic Books: January 2020 BotM - Saga Vol. 1 20 42 Jan 30, 2020 04:27PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Saga Vol 1 by Brian Vaughan, Starting Jan 4, 2020 14 17 Jan 09, 2020 09:22AM
Just read Saga vol. 1. A few questions. 4 48 Dec 20, 2019 10:58AM
Favorite Graphic Novel 1 14 Oct 20, 2019 10:51AM
We Read Stuff: Saga, Vol. 1 1 14 Feb 25, 2019 09:58PM

• Watchmen #1: At Midnight, All The Agents....
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  • Marvels
  • V for Vendetta
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #3
  • Nimona
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
  • Batman Noir - Black & White: Nigdy po trupie
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Saga (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Saga, Vol. 2
  • Saga, Vol. 9
  • Saga, Volume 10
  • Saga, Volume 11

Articles featuring this book

Have you already surpassed your 2018 Reading Challenge? That's fantastic. Congrats! But then this isn't for you. This is for the rest...
“Once upon a time, each of us was somebody's kid.

Everyone had a father, even if he never provided anything more than his seed.

Everyone had a mother, even if she had to leave us on a stranger's doorstep.

No matter how we're eventually raised, all of our stories begin the exact same way.

They all end the same, too.”
260 likes
“Violence is stupid. Even as a last resort, it only ever begets more of the same.” 99 likes