Start by marking “Sweet Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Sweet Lullaby

Sweet Lullaby

A dream of love turns into reality in a new Homespun romance. A scandal threatens to turn Rebecca's life upside down when her lover runs off, leaving her pregnant. Her father convinces one of his ranchhands to marry Rebecca, but she must find the strength to forget the man who abandoned her before she can begin a new life.
Mass Market Paperback, 292 pages
Published March 1st 1994 by Diamond/Charter

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Lullaby

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jake was a very sweet guy, too sweet for Rebecca. She wasn't a mean person, but very short-sighted, and she took him for granted. I realize that Jake made the decision to marry Rebecca, knowing that she didn't love him, but I still felt that Jake's love for her made him very vulnerable to getting his heart broken because of her immaturity and her unwillingness to let go of her past relationship with the father of her baby. What made it worse was Rebecca's lack of consideration for the fact that ...more
Splage
One of the best romances I have ever read! It was so sweet and tender, so heart wrenching and heart warming, the hero was absolutely incredible. The story was so good, it was hard to tear myself away when I was forced to actually take care of business- like feed my children. It gave me similar feelings as when I finished Morning Glory and The Texan's Wager (2 of my favorites as well)- completely satisfied!! But there was a little more spice in the love department...which I loved!! There was defi ...more
willaful
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a hard book for me to get into and I didn’t help anything by reading ahead. The hero of this book, Jake, is just so good, unselfish and self-effacing, that I had trouble respecting him, and when I saw what a tremendous sacrifice he makes (no spoilers), I felt impatient rather than touched. Luckily I did decide to read the story through properly and found that by the end, it came together beautifully.

Jake, a cowhand, is a smart and capable man despite a horrendous childhood that beat all
Daniella
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
She was his wife. And she promised herself she'd never hurt him. But promises are easily made when one knows not what the future holds. And promises given only to one's own heart are easily forgotten.

description
Poignant and devastatingly bittersweet, Sweet Lullaby is not for the faint of heart. You need courage to wade through this tale of heartbreak and sacrifice. I had to stop reading a few times because I found myself too choked up with tears, too overwhelmed with feelings to go on with the story.

I lo
Alex
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was ok

The Deal: As the daughter of a rich rancher, Rebecca grew up doing pretty much whatever she wanted as her father's trained her to one day take over the ranch. But when one bad decision leaves her pregnant and the father is nowhere to be found, she has to make a tough decision regarding her future.

Jake has spent the last few years working for Rebecca's father at the Lazy-A, and has loved Rebecca from afar, cherishing her friendship, but when Rebecca's father asks him to marry her and give her ch
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
*Spoilers*
Plenty of lovely reviews here, so let me just focus on the lesson/tagline here.

Women like bad boys and nice men finish last? (Of course, always! *eyeroll*)
Or
“Funny how the first time around, a person can fall in love with someone they hardly know." (Hmmm, true that.)
Or
“But promises are easily made when one knows not what the future holds. And promises given only to one's own heart are easily forgotten.” (Maybe...)
Or
If you love something, set it free. If it was meant to be, it will
Haelhaelhael
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
I can't believe this is Lorraine Heath's first book. Seriously she never fails. If ever you want to read this book make sure that you have a box of tissue prepared because this will make your heart clench and would not fail to make you cry.

I'll try not to spoil much

Jake Burnett was persuaded by the owner of the ranch (where he works), to marry his daughter, Reb, who was pregnant. The real father (Brett)left Reb alone carrying his child and Reb's father persuaded Jake to marry her so that her pr
Monika
5 stars

This book brought so much emotions, I still couldn't think of anything else two days after reading this.
I'm not sure I would love this book so much, considering at some point of the book the heroine did a 'relatively' unforgivable mistake but I did.
I loved all the characters in this book even the aforementioned heroine -though it's more like a hate to love- and of course the biggest portion of why I loved the book so much is none other than Jake Burnett. There's no hero like him with the
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Chelsea

My rating was categorized into two parts, the first being 2.75 stars and the second part being 4.75 stars = 3.75 🌟

Okay.... I know the cover wasn't appealing but I was looking for a change of scenery. So I decided to read a historical...though I've no idea that it was about a rancher. I just wanted to read something that doesn't include instant love - so sick and tired of it.

I wasn't that invested on the first part as the author keeps on showcasing new characters, their love interes
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Wow. When I said I was going to try and find a western romance written by someone with an aptitude for writing, I never dreamed I'd stumble upon one this good.

The characterization is good. Not great, but good. I felt Heath spent more time developing Jake than she did anyone else, but I didn't mind since he's an amazing character. Sweet, kind, strong, and insecure, but not too insecure. Manly without being an alpha. He loves Rebecca for who she is, which is something she ends up taking for grant
Hanah  Tahir
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
TEARJERKER!

I was crying my eyes out for Jake while reading the story.. I adored him! I can't believe that this is Lorraine Heath's first writing.. It's almost perfect. There is only one major flaw that I noticed: some parts seemed kinda out of place. or maybe the writing was just a little outstripped, though it's very unlikely that it could be a first writing.

Jake Burnett is a real charismatic hero! But he's very same with Clayton from "Always to Remember" (same author) which somewhat disturbs
Alexandra
*after rereading I'm upping my rating to 5 stars

Jake Burnett is the absolute sweetest gentle loving wonderful hero! My heart broke for him so many times that I even ugly cried at one point :'(
This would have been 5 stars, but the heroine tried my patience and made a stupid decision around the 70% mark. Other than that it was great! Lorraine Heath writes amazing westerns with swoon worthy beta heroes
💗
"You deserve to be married to a gentleman."
"I was married to a gentle man."

Olga
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved every word of this book. Loved Jake so much it hurt my chest. And even though I wanted to smack Reb a couple of times for the stunt she pulled near the end, I loved her too.
Sweet and straight to the heart. This would make for the perfect beach read.
sraxe
Jake was all kinds of perfect. Take note authors, this is how you write a man. They don't all need to be manipulative, highhanded assholes. I really liked that he was so patient and kind and understanding.

Like another review mentioned, I also feel that a lot more time and development went into Jake than it did into anyone else. Rebecca felt really shallow to me character-wise and I didn't really feel as invested in her as character. Rebecca doesn't like when the fetus is referred to as an it but
Tina Taylor
I don't tend to go for books like this, cowboys, historical romance. No superpowers, supernatural beings or apocalypse in sight, but after reading a blog review I found a copy online published in 1994 with a very different cover to the steamy couple on the kindle version. I wasn't disappointed, in fact it was a page-turner and a bit of an emotional rollercoaster to read.
Jake's a cowboy, working at the Lazy A ranch, he's very good at his job but after his loving mother died when he was five his
Heliga
2.5-3 stars.

I had high hopes for this book because of how much I loved another book by Lorraine Heath, Texas Destiny. Although the quality of this book -- both with regard to character depth and writing style -- never lived up to the high standard set by Texas Destiny, it wasn't until about halfway through the book that I really started to get frustrated. This story just doesn't have the depth and complexity of characterization that I loved about Texas Destiny.

In some ways the heroes of the two
Sera
Even though I had some serious issues with Rebecca throughout the book and especially toward the end overall her character was OK. But for Jake alone it deserves 5 stars from me. Loved him so much!

MBR
Wonderful read that brings tears to your eyes. Definite tearjerker!
My review: http://bit.ly/cfPRJo
Trang Nguyen
OH MY GAWD! If you are a fan of Lorraine Heath.. Her first book Sweet Lullaby is a definite MUST read!! I finished reading this book about two hours ago and my eyes are still swollen from all the crying that occurred when I flipped from page to page.

Jake is not a handsome man, he is the richest, he is not the smartest, and he does have a whole lot of demons that he carries from his childhood. However, Jake possess compassion, kindness, a loving heart and more love than he knows what to do with.
Bukcrz
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok

The heroine in this story got pregnant and then left alone and in disgrace. The hero enters the story and marry the h who is still hoping that the man who got her pregnant will come back for her. The poor H give her all: his name (which saved her from disgrace in their society), his home, and eventually his unconditional love. And what did the h did in return? She gives a lip service to the H while still dreaming and pining (secretly) for the love of her life which - I repeat - is the one who le
Slavena
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Slavena by: Kay
What a wonderful story. Jake is the most loving man I have ever encountered in a book. There is nothing about him you wouldn’t like, he is amazingly sweet. He has been in love with Rebecca for a long time but he never dares approach her because he thinks she is too good for him. Her father however decides to marry her to him because she has gotten pregnant by a guy who leaves and her dad doesn’t believe that he will ever come back. Rebbeca is in love with the father of her baby but she agrees to ...more
Kristine Maite Suarez
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
well there is a good story.

it's not everyday that i get to read this likes of this.a story not about the ridiculousness and shallowness of some characters in the young adult novels i come across.

i really really really like jake. it is hard to find a guy who would actually be willing to accept a child that he did not sire; to be an instant husband and father at the request of his employer; to raise a family he did not so expect. such a good man. i understand why he accepted the offer because he k
Jonetta
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jake Burnett has worked for John Anderson as a ranch hand for three years when he asked him to marry his pregnant daughter, Rebecca. Her lover left before he knew she was with child with no return in sight. They marry and immediately leave for Texas where Jake owns land and has saved enough money to begin his own ranch.

Jake and Rebecca's relationship was allowed to slowly evolve as her pregnancy progresses, after the birth of her child and beyond. We experienced it from both of their perspectiv
SuperWendy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was Heath's debut and totally reads like it. I immediately checked because I couldn't believe this was the same author who wrote the Texas trilogy and Always to Remember. But yep - her debut. Flat writing, uneven pacing and under-developed main characters. We're TOLD Jake has always love Rebecca but I'm not sure why or how or whatever. Other than him being the Beta-iest hero ever, I'm not sure WHY he loves her so much.

But that makes this book a 3-Star read in my opinion. So why did I give
KC

Lorraine Heath writes some of the nicest heroes in historical romance. Jake is the major reason I enjoyed this novel so much. What a hero! He's the kind of man one hopes to marry in real life and the kind of father we'd want for our children. A man with a heart of gold who treats his woman like she's gold and is kind to others as well. Jake loved Rebecca so much that he would do anything to ensure her happiness, even at his own expense.

Some readers didn't like Rebecca, but I liked her
Punya Nayak
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really adore Lorriane heath's novels. So i decided to read this book. the drabble was too short for my taste but I loved the story. The characters in this book were not shallow and ridiculous.

what i liked about the book:
1. Jake: The hero of this book, Jake, is just so good, unselfish and self-effacing, that I had no trouble respecting him.
2. Frank, Arlene and Ruth: I loved the little love story.
3. Sean and his Family
4. Zach and Ethan
5. I loved how the story wasn't just about the ma
Sophie ♥
This was Lorraine Heath's first book! And to be honest, it's quite obvious. I wasn't very captivated by this book at all until I hit the last 100 pages and oh my goodness. I COULD NOT STOP CRYING. MY HEART HURT SO MUCH I HAD TO RUB MY CHEST! It's funny how she managed to make me cry a river but failed to capture much of my attention otherwise. It was sweet but probably too sweet. Jake was adorable - if you like cute and self-conscious heroes.

Personally, if you are looking for that kind of cute,
Mareli
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful tender story! I loved it.

She's pregnant with another man and her father asks to his first man to marry her. He already loves her and so they marry and they go away where he has his land.

We follow them, the first steps of a marriage of friendship and the development of his ranch.

Then the real father of their son is back....

I loved him, not an alpha but sweet and tender and ready to sacrifice himself for her and for her son. He's the best father for that child!

On the other hand,
Julie
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical western of pregnant girl from a good family who's father makes her marry one of his ranch hands. Jake is sweet and almost too good to be true and has had a hard life, you want him to finally have something good happen to him. They move to Texas where he has some land and they begin to build a life together. It takes her forever to realize he is so much better than the real father of her child. The development of their feelings for one another is slow and gradual, but so worth it ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's the Name o...: Book about Texan Man [s] 4 27 Jul 06, 2013 01:33PM

• His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Allie's Moon
  • A Hearing Heart
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Conor's Way
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • The Way Home
  • Wild at Heart
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
“...Closing his eyes, he saw every smile that Rebecca had ever directed his way and knew a pang of regret. He would have liked to have held her in his arms one last time before he died.” 7 likes
“He was lying in bed with the woman he loved . . . a woman he couldn't make love to. He closed his eyes. More than any­thing in this world, he wanted this woman to be happy. He'd give her anything, do anything to make her happy. Even if it made his own life hell.” 6 likes