Start by marking “Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)

Texas Destiny

(Texas Trilogy #1)

She was his brother's wife...

Arriving on the Fort Worth train, Miss Amelia Carson, mail-order bride, had never met Dallas Leigh, the Texan she promised to marry. The tall cowboy at the station wasn't Dallas. He was Houston, Dallas's brother, sent to escort her on the rugged three-week trek to the ranch where Dallas waited. Brought up in war-ravaged Georgia, Amelia thought
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 1st 1997 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Texas Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Destiny

Start your review of Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Finally on Kindle!!!

I know people, including myself, who paid a small fortune on eBay for used copies of these books, but I just discovered they're FINALLY available on kindle! These 3 books are seriously 3 of my favorite historical romances, and worth every penny! And yes, I'll be buying them again!

Texas Destiny http://amzn.to/1HA0eD0
Texas Glory http://amzn.to/1Lmm1if
Texas Splendor http://amzn.to/1FExUQA

My review...

Texas Destiny is the first book in Lorraine Heath’s Texas Trilogy, and my
Dina
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Dina by: Cristina from Bookmooch
I love tortured heroes, and Houston was as tortured as one can be. Slighted (to put it mildly) by his father since childhood, he was forced to fight in the Civil War at the tender age of twelve, only to lose half his face, his eye, and hearing in one ear three years later. The way he saw it, his life was over by the time he was fifteen years old. Now, thirteen years later, he still wonders why he didn't put an end to it. Houston had all the markings to make me want to cuddle him and never let go ...more
Naksed
Oh hell, where do I even begin with this hot mess? I hated it. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Did I mention I hated it? Now, let me take a deep breath, calm myself and tell you how I really feel. Yup. Still hated it.

Let's begin with the absurdly flowery prose that made me barf at every turn.

When the hero, Houston, meets mail order bride Amelia (a bride meant for his brother), he naturally is taken by her eyes.

Amelia Carson...was a heart-in-her-eyes woman. Everything she thought, everything she
Melanie A.
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Donati
Audio: 5 STARS!
Story: 5 STARS!
"I've always believed that dreams were meant to be shared. Where's the joy in reaching for something if you have no one to see you capture it?"
I feel like I've just won the lottery! An incredibly talented author with a sense of romance that matches my own?!!! One with a huge backlist for me to go through? Life doesn't get much better.

Honestly, I was skeptical when I started, but I've been on the edge of a slump for over a month now and I was desperate for
*TANYA*
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highly-recommend
Wow, was so freaking endearing! I would have given it 5 amazing stars if it hadn’t been for one minor detail that I detested. Other than that this book was superb.
Mo
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
why did I download this book??? LOVED IT but now I have to read the next in the series - costing me a friggin fortune these kindle downloads ..... FANTASTIC ... off to read Texas Glory now.
Buggy
Opening Line: “His was not a face that women carried with them into their dreams”

Oh how I loved this one. I actually sought out a used copy of Texas Destiny because it had received such rave reviews and WOW am I ever glad I did. I knew going in I was going to like this because I’ve got such a soft spot when it comes to the tortured heroes but I never expected to be as moved as I was by this beautiful story. Just know any review I attempt here really won’t do this justice.

I fell in love with both
Lyn
Audio - 5 stars
Story - 3 stars

One of the rare occasions were the heroine outshined the hero. His insecurities bordered on pathetic. Or maybe I'm just being cold hearted. I got tired of him pushing the heroine away because he didn't feel worthy. ugh!
KatLynne
Wow - what can I say that hasn't already been written about this amazing story? I loved everything about it!

After reading the synopsis I kept putting this one on the back burner. At that time I hadn't read many Western Historicals and figured this would probably be just an ok read for me. Recently I have been enjoying many wonderful books in this genre (thanks to my GR friends) and so when my friend Denise *smiling* "insisted" that I read this one and then backed by Katrina’s comments, I
Bark
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
How do I begin to describe such a beautiful story as TEXAS DESTINY? I could talk about the post civil war Texas setting and describe the mail order bride plot but that doesn't even begin to touch on the emotional impact of Ms. Heath's newest work. This book touched me from beginning to end and is a book I'll always treasure. It's also the first of a trilogy. Woo-hoo!

Houston Leigh's brother Dallas has broken his leg and is unable to make the trip to pick up his mail order bride-to-be Amelia
Karen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

The moonlight streaming through the window shimmered off the tears trailing along her cheeks. “I’ve always wanted a dream that I could hold in the palm of my hand.”

A sweet western romance set in West Texas, post-Civil War era. A mail-order bride travels west to fulfill her dreams of finally having a home, a family, and the safety
Mei
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I wish to thank my friend Jill for recommanding me this book! *kisses*

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!
A real romantic, heartbraking love story!

The hero, Houston, is scarred all the way down to his soul... poor guy... At the beginning he's so closed that was painful to read about it. He resented his brother Dallas for sending him to retrieve his bride. He din't want to have to do it, but did it all the same.

His scarred face should have frightened Amelia, but instead she's intrigued. Amelia is Houston's
Lisa Kay
Wow! Can I give this book more than 5 stars? I am still speechless. Glad I have two more books to go in the series.
♥Sharon♥
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

"You told me once that you wanted to share a corner of my dream. Without you, Amelia, I have no dream. With you, I have everything I could ever dream of wanting."

Just finished this and oh how I enjoyed it!

What a sweet story. I fell in love with Houston from the get go and never looked back. And neither did Amelia.

Amelia had pledged herself to Houston's brother Dallas but on the faithful day that they met she gave a little piece of her heart to Houston. Little did she know she'd be giving
Yodamom
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There wasn't anything not to love here. Slow building romance, wounded souls, broken dreams rekindled, hope and the nicest characters. Then you add an excellent narrator and it's perfect. This is a classic sweet romantic tale, that would make an excellent movie.
Zoe
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I FINALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK.

This book is one hell of a slow burn. Lorraine Heath writes beautifully. I never felt otherwise about her writing, even when I was less impressed with the story.

But in this case, I actually liked the book. Texas Destiny is the story of the second brother of the Leigh brothers, Houston. He was sent to bring Amelia, his brother Dallas's mail order bride, to Dallas's home. Houston and Amelia fell in love with each other on the way. But Amelia married Dallas anyway
Julianna
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Western Romance, Beta Heroes and Sweet Emotional Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I absolutely loved the first book I read by Lorraine Heath several months ago, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to try another one of her novels. Whatever the reason, I am so glad that I finally got around to it, because she has given me another gem of a read. Ms. Heath is an author who knows how to write deeply affecting stories with complex, multi-layered characters who are easy to love in spite of their flaws. She also has an incredible perception of human nature
Iliada
This is a sweet, touching, poignant and sometimes sad story. I loved this book for its uniqueness and I'm going to remember this story for a long time.

The Story
Amelia is a mail-order bride travelling from Georgia to Texas to get married to Dallas Leigh. She has never met him, but she dreams of a better future for herself since she has nothing left after the war. Dallas is supposed to escort her from the town of Fort Worth to his home, a 3-week journey, but he falls off his horse and sends his
Kari Kaz
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the absolute top standard for a good ol' classic western romance. Wonderful characters and setting. I'm looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy. 5 heartbreaking romantic stars for Houston and Amelia!
Mo
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I dropped a star on the second reading and listen. Not sure why. It was still a great read but not really a 5 star!

Jacqueline's Reads
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: v-card, historical
4-4.25 Slow Burn Yeee Haw Stars

It’s been awhile since I’ve read a historical romance with a southern theme. I was looking for a book where the Hero has some sort of disfigurement and although Texas Destiny probably doesn’t have the best plot, it was written well and I read it almost in one go. Lorraine Heath just knows how to suck you in.

Amelia is a mail-order-bride. She’s due in Texas and ready to marry Dallas, but Dallas doesn’t meet her in the train station, his brother Houston does.

Here’s
Regan Walker
A Post Civil War Romance with Great Heart…a Keeper!

Set in Texas in 1876, this is the story of two wounded souls. Broken by the horrors she has seen in the Civil War, and hoping for a new life, Amelia Carson agrees to become the mail order bride of budding Texas rancher, Dallas Leigh. Since he was injured by an untamed stallion, he sends his brother, Houston, to fetch Amelia from the train station in Ft. Worth.

Houston has been gravely scarred from his time in the war and only reluctantly agrees
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
Occasionally, I read a book which has such an emotional impact that I find myself thinking about it long after I've finished reading it. A beautiful and haunting love story, Lorraine Heath's TEXAS DESTINY, the first book in her ‘Texas Trilogy' series, is one such book.

A broken leg prevents Dallas Leigh from meeting his mail-order bride in Fort Worth. Instead he entrusts his younger brother with the task, but it's not one Houston relishes. Scarred both in body and soul during the Civil War, he
Al George
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yea, this one was a slow burn

At first I was totally in to this Beauty and the Best redux. We have the scarred hero, Houston - be still my beating, beta male loving, heart - and dearest Amelia. Amelia is a made to order, er, mail order bride soon to wed wounded Houston's brother Dallas. You see what Ms. Heath did there, right. And yes, the other brother's name is Austin. Let's get all of that out of the way right here and now and would someone tell me when we get to meet Waco? Or El Paso?

Anyway,
Susan (susayq ~)
Holy cow! I don't even know what to say about this. I am a sucker for heart breaking angsty love stories that make you cry. This TOTALLY fits the bill. Houston and Amelia fall in love but can't be together because she's agreed to be his brother's wife. It just about killed me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all tears and heart-wrenching; there was some smiles and laughter as well. Especially when Houston suggested to Amelia that a raccoon could steal her ugly hat away and then she wouldn't have ...more
Susanne
To be completely honest I skimmed the second part of the book. I don't know if it was me but this book bored me to sleep.

I was very conflicted about the love story. Amelia is a mail-order bride for Dallas but he breaks his leg and send Houston, his brother, to pick her up. They travel for a month together and slowly fall in love. I felt bad for Dallas. I usually like love triangles but this rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. It was so dark and no humor or light, and there was no fighting
Ingie
Review written April 13, 2019

4 STARS - A wonderful heartbreaking love story. A grand “B&B” classic.

Maybe a bit too melodramatic with a sad feeling in the start. (If you are a bit unsure don’t mistrust; the second half is much much more fun to read than the first half.)... But you honestly can’t but be intrigued in this dusty hot Texas world of this (oldie feeling) historical romance by Lorraine Heath from 1997.

« Arriving on the Fort Worth train, Miss Amelia Carson, mail-order bride, had
Aoi
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A real treasure of a book!

Instead of her to-be husband, mail order bride Amelia Carson meets a scarred, ruggedly handsome man who prefers to keep in the shadows. She is eager to meet the man behind the letters, Dallas Leigh, and start life anew with him. But in order to get to their ranch, she must spend three weeks traveling through the Texas prairie in company of his younger brother, Houston Leigh.

Houston carries scars not just from the Civil War, but also from his father who hurt him, and his
Dawn
Great read. Not quite 5 stars, although pretty close.

This is a lovely romance about a man (Houston) who was disfigured from war (civil war) and tormented through his childhood by his overly demanding father.

He has resolved himself to living alone until his sinfully handsome brother (Dallas) has him fetch his mail order bride from the train station because he injured himself before her arrival. The journey back to Dallas's immense ranch takes over a month and the trip with Amelia proves to be
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who is a romance novel nay sayer....lend them this book and it will make them eat their words!!!!

It's hard to top this one. It has all my favorite romance themes running throughout it (mail-order bride, tortured and scarred hero, feisty and sweet heroine, lots of time alone together, adventure, and loads of sexual tension). The remarkable thing about Texas Destiny is that it takes these well known themes and puts a new, fresh, and pure spin on them. I was reading this one long into

• The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Without Words
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Annie's Song
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Sing My Name
  • Morning Glory
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • Cherish
  • Silver Lining
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)
  • The Bridal Veil
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during

Texas Trilogy (3 books)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
“He took the hand that wasn’t holding the bou­quet of wildflowers and stared at it, holding it so tightly that she thought he might crack her bones. Then his hold gentled. He slipped a gold ring onto her finger and lifted his gaze to hers.

“I’m not a brave man; I’ll never be a hero, but I love you more than life itself, and I will until the day I die. With you by my side, I’m a better man than I’ve ever been alone. I’m scared to death that I’ll let you down, but I won’t run this time. I’ll stand firm and face the challenge and work hard to see that you never have any regrets. You told me once that you wanted to share a corner of my dream. Without you, Amelia, I have no dream. With you, I have everything I could ever dream of wanting.”

Tears burned her eyes as he glanced back at the preacher. “I’m done.”

-Houston to Amelia as his wedding vow.”
52 likes
“He wrapped his hand around hers, pressed a kiss to the heart of her palm, and held her gaze. “I’ve got a one-room cabin, a few horses, and a dream that’s so small it won’t even cover your palm. But it sure seems a lot bigger when you’re beside me.”

The moonlight streaming through the window shimmered off the tears trailing along her cheeks. “I’ve always wanted a dream that I could hold in the palm of my hand,” she said quietly.

-Houston and Amelia”