Start by marking “The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)

The Duke Next Door

(Heiress Brides #2)

The dangerously beautiful Deirdre Cantor is determined to inherit her grandfather’s vast fortune. All she needs is to marry a duke…and be the first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. After all, she has always dreamed of becoming a member of the haute ton. So when the proper Calder Marbrook, the Marquis of Brookhaven and future Duke of Brookmoor, is abandoned at the alta ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Duke Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke Next Door

Fani *loves angst*
Simplistic but highly entertaining. I always like marriage of convenience plots so it was easy for me to like this one as well. The characters, especially Calder's, are not described in depth and some scenes, like when he fondled her publicly in the staircase, are over the top, but I liked the result nonetheless. Light but with just a touch of angst to add some interest in the mix, it was fast paced and very enjoyable. I think I may have liked it more than the first one, but certainly Celeste Br ...more
Ligaro
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nota: 7
El libro no está mal, pero parece que la autora ha cogido muchas escenas típicas de novelas románticas históricas y las ha juntado en ésta. El resultado no es malo, pero tampoco destacable .
Amber Gray
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
[close] The dangerously beautiful Deirdre Cantor is determined to inherit her grandfather's vast fortune. All she needs is to marry a duke...and be the first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. After all, she has always dreamed of becoming a member of the haute ton.

So when the proper Calder Marbrook, the Marquis of Brookhaven and future Duke of Brookmoor, is abandoned at the altar, Deirdre makes it her business to become his wife--in spite of the whispers about his past.

Soon Deirdre's vision
Lauren
The Duke Next Door
3 Stars

Synopsis
Deidre Cantor has adored Calder Marbrook from afar for years and finally seizes the opportunity to marry him when her cousin Phoebe leaves him at the alter. But Calder has a secret that may just destroy his marriage before it has even begun...

Review
Cute romance but could have done without the silly misunderstandings.

Deidre and Calder have a smoldering chemistry and their sex scenes are intense and erotic. Unfortunately, the problems begin when they open their mou
Sarai
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
Recommended to Sarai by: Katie(babs)
Bonnie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
ETA: This was so not worthwhile that I repurchased it at a used book sale with no memory of having read it. I just came to look at the reviews and saw that I had read it and had a lot of feelings.

I am a big Celeste Bradley fan so it pains me to give a sub-middling review to one of her books, but what's a girl to do? This book seems like it was written by two people or by one writer who started it, put it in a drawer, and finished up 10 years later.

The first half of the book is largely boring an
Ada
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
stella yip
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: celeste-bradley, epub
it's nice to see how the duke is being warmed up by his wife because he is such a cold person. oh well, you couldn't blame him, right? after all, his first wife is dead, fiancee had run away with his younger brother, it'll make anyone to become cold and distant from the others. he was so hurt from the woman that keep leaving him that he become more guarded with his heart. therefore, it's good that the heroine can break through his guard and can manage to love him as well. not many people can do ...more
L8blmr
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book after I saw that it had managed only about a 3.5 or so cumulative rating. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed reading it. It had humor, love, spice and sizzle and not too many annoying devices found in so many historical romances. I think this author is underappreciated and hope that she will one day be "discovered" by some of my friends here who enjoy this genre.
Mary Vilarino
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it

The second book of "The Heiress Brides" was an excellent read. I kept wanting to know what challenges Deidre sent Calder's way. I was enchanted with how she let herself develop and be less afraid. I was especially charmed with Lady Margaret and her fighting spirit. This is a book to keep.
Dancer
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Deirdre Cantor and Calder Marbrook are sensual and exciting. The chase scene is well worth the read. I missed reading the first one in this series, and I keep putting it off because Calder is rejected in it. He was a man in need of someone to really love him. He is almost a "cave man" at times.
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
D.W. Nichols
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Segundo de la trilogía las Herederas. Para mí, el mejor de los tres, gracias al personaje masculino. Ese Calder, tan cortado e inseguro, escondiéndose detrás de una personalidad déspota cuando en realidad, es la manera que tiene de disimular que no tiene ni puta idea de qué hacer con su mujer.
MountainKat
Very enjoyable. The characters might have been difficult to like or understand without the insight into their internal dialogues - thank goodness for those! In the end I was very happy with their ending and it made me happy.

I listened to the audio and enjoyed Susan Ericksen's narration.
Louisa
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I can't wait to see Sophie get her HEA, and hopefully the Butler/Lady's Maid romance starts, and is good!
Kesha
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I like this book very much. Loved little Meggie, she was adorably hilarious.
Mariana
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-histórico
Primera relectura.

La primera vez que leí esta novela la disfruté mucho. En esta segunda ocasión descubrí que me siguen haciendo reír las personalidades de los protagonistas.

Él es tan rígido y autoritario por fuera, aunque en el interior quiere agradar; me divertía que se estuviera dando patadas mentales cada vez que hacía un comentario desatinado. Por su lado, la protagonista también tiene dos caras. Una superficial que le muestra al mundo para protegerse, y la otra tierna y generosa que desea
Desi
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leído en Abril 2011

Estuvo entretenido... y me gustó!!
Nancy Messina
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had its ups and downs. I felt though that the characters grew and realized their mistakes which is why I am giving this a 4.
Estance Moriarty
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was simply delightful !
bedlambelle
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
This author uses imprecise language and I don't like it. For example, a male character in the book uses the word "inclined," when wishing he could smooth things over (he said he was not "inclined" to do so). Inclined has two meanings; a wish or desire to do something, or a tendency to do something. The man was thinking he did not have the skill or practice at smoothing things over. However, the use of the word "inclined" just felt like nails on a chalkboard because I typically read "inclined" as ...more
Jessica
Nunca me he considerado fanática de la novela romántica pero también es cierto que he decidido este año ampliar mis horizontes y bueno que este libro ha caído a mis manos y le di una oportunidad y la verdad es que no me arrepiento en lo mínimo.

La historia se centra en Deirdre y Calder, la primera necesita un prometido que sea duque para poder heredar la fortuna de su familia y si a eso le agregamos que ha estado enamorada de Calder desde que lo conoció hace varios años, no se le hizo difícil dec
Elis Madison
Sir Hamish Pickering died a couple generations ago, but not before making a ridiculous will. He somehow had scads of money (dumb must've paid well in those days), and his will settles twiddle on his female descendants and even less than twiddle on the males—unless…

The first female descendant who marries a duke, or marries a guy who eventually becomes a duke, inherits the whole bundle. And if anybody speaks of the terms of the will outside the family, the money goes to pay the fines of smugglers
Diah Didi
Actually, it had my favorite themes, marriage of convenience (not so sure I can call that since Dee was in love with Calder years before) and the s-a-m thing.
I do love Dee for her brave act (purposing, or offering herself to Calder). And I do love Calder, too. Di sini berasa rasa kesepiannya dia, terutama ketika dia membandingkan dirinya dengan Rafe, sodaranya, yang jauh lebih luwes. Belum lagi fakta bahwa orang2x melihatnya sebagai duke yang selalu ditinggal perempuan.
Istri pertamanya meningg
Laurie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Aubrey Brown
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
I found this book at a dollar store. Not a good sign to begin with. I read on the cover it was a best seller. I thought I would give it a shot for a buck. Now I wished I hadn't. There is zero chemistry between the main characters. The Heroin acts like a child, that leads me to believe she is a stalking maniac. The Hero is a jackass, there is no redeeming quality about him. He treats his brand-new bride just like a child, and it borders on incestuous. He threatens to take away her new dresses and ...more
TINNGG
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3. Eh, could have done without the lovelorn idiot. The H/h had enough on their plates breaking down mutual walls without his presence, even if it did provide a convenient excuse for the H to act all out of character, curse like a sailor and be heroic instead of the stick. On the other hand, if it weren't for the idiot, the H would never have doubted the h in the first place, etc.

And I still don't know what makes the H tick. He's all built up in self-superiority I guess. But why? No - really. Are
Lillian Bittle
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet, touching romance of Regency time era.
Limau Nipis
I am delighted to find this author when I am browsing for another pick on historical romance genres.

And what a wonderful find I had! This book is delightful, witty, charming and funny.

I love the instant chemistry and the constant bickering between the hero, Calder and the heroine, Deirdre. Deidre has been known to love Calder from the start, secretly hoping to marry him someday, after he was divorced, and blatantly proposed to Calder, who amazingly, accepted on the spot. It is funny on how Deidr
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 14 Nov 29, 2013 11:32PM
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #2)
  • Wicked as Sin (Boscastle, #7)
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • Bride of a Wicked Scotsman (McBride Family, #3)
  • To Wed a Wicked Prince (Cavendish Square, #2)
  • The Pleasure Trap (Trap, #3)
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing #4)
  • Beyond a Wicked Kiss (Compass Club, #4)
  • The Dark Earl
  • All Things Beautiful
  • Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1)
  • Let Sleeping Rogues Lie (School for Heiresses, #4)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6)
  • Someday My Prince (Princess, #2)
Visit me at www.CelesteBradley.com or facebook.com/CelesteBradleyAuthor :)
Go to CelesteBradley.com/newsletter for my Voice of Society newsletter.

Hi, my name is Celeste Bradley and I write "brain chocolate." That is, I write fun and sexy escapism is for hardworking women everywhere. We deserve a little man-candy, too!

Reviewers like to say I write about misfit heroines getting the man of their dream

Heiress Brides (3 books)
  • Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
“Sometimes I think I was better off not knowing any men. I truly had no idea they could be so very stupid." She sighed. "It's quite disappointing, really.” 10 likes