Start by marking “Dare I Call It Murder? - A Memoir of Violent Loss” as Want to Read:
Dare I Call It Murder? - A Memoir of Violent Loss

Dare I Call It Murder? - A Memoir of Violent Loss

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Winner: San Diego Book Awards, 2012 (unpublished memoir)
Judge's comment: Dare I Call It Murder? is written especially well. I found myself thinking about your story -- wanting to read more. Your writing is so revealing and beneficial to others. The impact of your last few lines -- perfect.

Kirkus Review:
"A chilling memoir of a family tragedy and its painful aftermath. . . .
Published July 9th 2013 by Wigeon Publishing (first published July 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dare I Call It Murder? - A Memoir of Violent Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare I Call It Murder? - A Memoir of Violent Loss

Valerie
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this memoir of a family member of two murdered parents back in 1978 was excellent. He presented all of the facts (many of which were not correct in Ann Rule's telling of the story in her book, "But I Trusted You"). He also shared his extreme experiences with PTSD over a 30 year period with the reader. This was a combined family, and there were many disagreements, especially among the children, which led to tragedy. The author is no newcomer to writing or journalism; after he taught sch ...more
Penelope
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, mystery
"Dare I Call It Murder?" begins with a punch and climbs steadily to a climax, then climbs again and again until the reader is as involved in the maze of conjectures, possibilities, and accounts as the author.

When Larry Edwards receives notice of his dad's and stepmom's deaths at sea in Polynesia, he starts on a long journey into the darkest areas of his family's and his own mind. We share his frustration and outrage as his efforts to get to the truth are thwarted, blocked, or dismissed. He glean
Larry Edwards
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the author, and I believe readers will not only enjoy the book but gain something from reading it.

I am a survivor of violent loss, and in this book, I unmask the emotional trauma of violent loss as I ferret out new facts to get at the truth of how and why my parents were killed.

Amazon best-seller:

= Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Authors: ht
Larry Edwards
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Marie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being very interested in the anatomy of loss,I found the author's story very revealing. It reads more like a novel than a history of events - a gripping read.
Deborah F. Glover
Very well done

The time spent in Mr, Edwards' research and his excellent writing skill make this a very worthy read. I have read several Ann Rule books over the years. I read her account of this tragedy first and felt compelled to do more research about the Edwards. Her story fell very short of her earlier writings. Thankful I found this book. My condolences to Larry Edwards, his wife and sister Bobbi.
Deborah
This is a bitter, angry book. It needs a trigger warning sticker: “Incest and Rape Survivors Will Be Blamed and Shamed.”

I should note that I found this book because I read Ann Rule’s book. Her account left a lot of questions (because I'm smart enough to read and comprehend) and I Googled the Spellbound to see if there was anything more to know. This story of the inconsistencies and the search for the truth was intriguing. That part of it was the only reason I kept reading and I still almost didn
Martin Hill
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Losing a loved one to violence is a gut wrenching experience. Author Larry Edwards' loss of his parents sent his life careening out of control, all the more so because the prime suspect in their apparent murders was Larry's own brother, Gary.

In Dare I Call it Murder? A Memoir of Violent Lost, Larry describes not only how the violent deaths of his father, Loren, and his mother, Jody, affected his own life but also how the allegations against his brother tore apart his extended family.

Loren and Jo
Lee Fullbright
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, this book did some serious damage to my sleep patterns last week; it IS just that riveting. I’m still thinking about it, and I’m reminded of the old saying, “You sit down to dinner, the phone rings and, like that, the world as you know it changes forever.” And that’s pretty much what happened to Larry Edwards. He got the call that both his parents had been murdered on their ship, on the high seas —and of course that call became his life’s seminal moment, when everything he’d ever known abo ...more
Maryann Jorissen
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book provides true insight into the lives of those who have suffered traumatic loss. Also it shows how different the grieving process is for everyone. The writer described his feelings so well that I felt engaged in his plight from the first chapter.
I just don't understand how the case never went to trial. It seems so clear that a murder took place. Also, because of the murder venue, the list of suspects was narrowed down to one! What an injustice! I had hoped for a different ending. The au
rebecca kerr
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking...but couldn't stop reading!

I think that I've probably ready at least 2000 books about true crime. But this is one of the finest I've read! Back in the early 80's I read a lot of Ann Rules books, I'd found them very interesting because I live in the Puget Sound area also. She was my favorite author. Then as years went on I started seeing her writings as a quick way to make a buck. I would like to say Larry, there are many others who see her the same way I do. After reading your mem
Michele Defilippo
It feels wrong to call this memoir of senseless murder an "enjoyable" read, so "gripping" will have to do. Larry Edwards' writing skill is evident in the ways you would expect, and also in the sheer discipline of will it must have taken to recount this unimaginable personal tragedy. Even as he describes the horrific events and his anguished attempts to uncover the truth, he lightens the emotional load with humor, sarcasm, and a say-it-outright style that urges the reader on. This book teaches im ...more

Irene Moyer
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving read

I will never feel the same way about Anne Rule! What this author endured is beyond belief. I hope this book is a success. He does good by showing the benefit of therapy and support for violent loss and pass. And he is of course a good writer. The death of parents was only the first round of pain. It is however inspiring.
Sandra
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased
Dare I Call It Murder is much more than I had expected. It is the story of violent death and the mystery around what exactly happened and why. But it is also the story of a family, the survivors, and the impact of the violence on generations. A thoughtful memoir that I couldn't put down.
jackie beffa
A true, from the heart, account of a disturbing and heartbreaking murder of a family.

From the time I started reading I found this book hard to put down. The ending still leaves you looking for justice for mom and dad!
Nikki Joslin
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing look into a mans journey for justice for his family and the struggles he endures in the Process.... Hooked me in the first few pages...
Dixie
Oct 13, 2014
Mark
Jul 26, 2014
Leslie
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2014
Mar 20, 2018
April Ross
Dec 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Larry M. Edwards is an award-winning author, editor and investigative journalist; he has written three books, and edited many others, including Murder Survivor's Handbook: Real-Life Stories, Tips & Resources (Wigeon Publishing, 2014), winner of the Benjamin Franklin Gold Award (2015).

His most recent book, as editor, is What the Private Saw: The Civil War Letters & Diaries of Oney Foster