Start by marking “Mommy Had a Little Flask” as Want to Read:
Mommy Had a Little Flask

Mommy Had a Little Flask

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  786 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
In the hilarious sequel to the bestselling "momoir" This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, A.K. Turner returns with the mayhem of motherhood. From preschoolers blurting obscenities in public places to living with her in-laws in Mexico, Mommy Had a Little Flask delivers a delightfully raw and honest account of family life in Turner's latest laugh-out-loud confessional. ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Fever Streak Press

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Had a Little Flask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Had a Little Flask

Sneh Pradhan
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to read the other offerings of A K Turner now !! ....... She's delightfully raw , honest , disarmingly frank and can probably relax the most stressed person on earth . I hadn't laughed out this loud since I read Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a shopaholic ...... Have become a fan now , after also reading her Drinking with dead women writers ........ I hope she writes something about her teenage years or spinsterhood ...... Its always refreshing and genuinely heart warming to en ...more
Kristen
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do I continue to bother with the free kindle books?
Books
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2014
This is a really terrific and quick read! I read this book and the first one after the other, and enjoyed the hilarity of both. I didn’t always agree with some of the author’s parenting choices, and definitely not with the constant state of inebriation, but there were a ton of things that made me laugh loudly because, as mom of a six-year-old, I could identify and nod my head in agreement. I’m looking forward to reading book three!
Maryellen
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Funny read, essays of a down to earth mom who likes her alcohol and doesn't have an interest in pretentious asshattery. I read the first book of essays and was glad to see this one pop up. Despite not having children, I like her writing and still find ti all very entertaining.
Louise
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book which reminded me of a blog. Interesting what kids say and definitely one for those who have had those little moments when a child announces something which isn't true.
Carrie
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
For those who are moms, can surely relate. I am not a mom and I laughed throughout the book.
Judie
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
More like a series of sixteen short stories or essays, MOMMY HAD A LITTLE FLASK is a funny, eyes-wide-open look at children and adults, written from the perspective of a mother. My main complaint is there was way too much emphasis on the “flask.” It wasn’t necessary and was distracting. Whatever her point was, it was overdone and probably turned off a lot of readers who would have otherwise really enjoyed the book.
Now to the rest of the book: I was hooked on page 6 when Amanda, a writer and th
Angie
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Synopsis: "In the hilarious sequel to the bestselling "momoir" This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, A.K. Turner returns with the mayhem of motherhood. From preschoolers blurting obscenities in public places to living with her in-laws in Mexico, Mommy Had a Little Flask delivers a delightfully raw and honest account of family life in Turner's latest laugh-out-loud confessional."

My Review: After finishing This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, I knew I had to read more by Turner. I lis
Katie
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mothers, parents, people with a sense of humor
I downloaded this book a while back because it was free and the hilarious title caught my eye. I'm sure glad I did. A.K. Turner is clearly the best friend that I haven't met yet. She gives a real, brutally-honest account of parenthood through the eyes of a fully-dysfunctional mother just like myself. I laughed out loud many times throughout the book. If you're a mother with a sense of humor who's likely reading this review with a glass of wine in hand, pour yourself another and read this book.

P
Vicki Lesage
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was basically like reading my own blog. I need to meet Amanda and be best friends with her! I seriously laughed out loud at several points, especially the pool noodle story. If you're a parent and you know how to laugh at yourself, you'll enjoy this book. Oh, and you should probably like drinking as well. But you knew that from the title, right? So pour a margarita and get ready to laugh!
Melissa
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very, very easy read. However, don't read it when others are around because you will be laughing out loud. (Caveat, that's only true if you're a parent with children.) It rings true, and not just because she's similar to me in many ways. She's also different in other ways, yet I found her to be hilarious. I read this in about three sittings, and had to stop a few times because I was laughing too hard.
Marsha Graham
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Free kindle download. I have surgery tomorrow and wanted something light. Fortunately this is pre, rather than post surgery or I'd be ripping out stitches. Used to live near Boise, lived in Anchorage and Fairbanks (note-Sitka has a year long rain festival instead of icy weather) and fell down a Sun Valley ski slope on my butt and had to be rescued because no one informed me I could do a face pivot.
Melissa
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I didn't rate it higher because I don't think I'd actually like the author if I met her and I assume this is memoir not fiction? If I'm wrong and it is fiction I'd give it 4. It was entertaining and I'm not usually one to laugh outloud to myself at books or movies, and I did actually laugh out loud while reading this. Good parody of the early years of motherhood.
Darlene Williams
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Can Relate

There are all kinds of moms out there. I can relate to Amanda. The only thing I don't share with her is a love of cooking. I'm great at making reservations. Some mom books fall short, this one does not. I can also relate to the annual trek to visit the in-laws. I wish my visit was to a cool area of Mexico. I feel like I just left a visit with a friend.
Angie
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I like Turner's writing style but would prefer a real novel as opposed to just snippets of different events. She's very witty and I am a mother of 2 and we have a lot in common which is why I'm entertained by her books, but given her writing talents would like to see something with more depth. Thanks!
Rachel Wallace
If I lived in Boise...

if I lived in Boise, I would love to have a regular happy hour w Amanda Turner. It takes a sense of humor to raise children and she definitely has one. Reading it was like having a hilarious, rambling conversation w your funniest mom-friend. Very entertaining from start to finish, I highly recommend reading it.
Leana
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. A.K. Turner finds humor in everyday situations we can all relate to. Her book reminds me how therapuetic it is to laugh off the more annoying, and totally embarrassing, moments in life. I loved This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store so I couldn't wait for this book to be released. I loved this sequel as much as the first! Both of the books are hilarious!
Sheryl
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a nice little belated Christmas gift from BookBub: a freebie by an author whose previous work I enjoyed immensely (This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store). Mommy Had a Little Flask wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the first, but the author has a great style and interesting stories, and the book was a lovely way to spend a rainy afternoon on the couch.
Flsunluvr
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd love to be adopted by this family! I loved reading of the daily antics of mom/children, wife/husband, and in-laws. very similar to the kind of comedy on "Modern Family" in that each character adds a different layer of comedy and at the end of the day you just know this family loves each other.
Jarod
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book was not quite what I expected. I thought the book would be funny stories about motherhood instead of a collection of stories about the author's extended family and her experiences. It was an interesting read though and entertaining.
Diana
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this, I wanted to judge her so badly. I mean, it was right there on my lips. But then, I found myself laughing and shaking my head agreeing with her. I love her honesty, and while she is kind of annoying and bitchy, it's funny. There were several parts that made me laugh and snort, and I really appreciate those moments. I needed to laugh and this did the trick.
Gabrielle
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved how honest and funny this book was. This is my first reading of anything from AK Turner, but now I have to plan on reading everything I can find.

My favorite parts by far are about her in laws. Her brother in law is such a perfect picture of every guy in my life, I feel like I could have written the book myself.
Rebecca Fronckowiak
Funny story

Story about everyday life. Funny and true to life at times.Author has great sense of humor about how life goes day to day. I enjoyed this book and sometimes laughed out loud.
J. A.  Lewis
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The author has a great sense of humor about the mundane events of life that I thoroughly enjoyed. I wish, oh how I wish, that all authors would forego the use of the F word and other harsh language. It doesn't get any more laughs and only makes me downgrade my rating.
Myrna
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy has a potty mouth

This author has a fun sense of humor and an understanding husband as she rather sounds like she may be a lush. I don't feel the rough language added to the story line.
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
By far a great read! even better if your a parent, and a parent that can relate!

I laughed so much through this book, it was such a relief to know there are other parents like that out there!

grab a drink, an adult one at that, and enjoy this book when the kiddos are sleeping!
Katie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amanda has done it again...making any imperfect parent feel less alone in the world of parenting, all while making me pee a little from laughing while I read. I can't wait for a third installment...well played Ms. Turner, well played.
Martha
Jan 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was not familiar with the author before reading this book. I thought it would be funny but I don't enjoy hearing people complain. To me the author was just ranting throughout. Also constant alcohol abuse "jokes" don't make me laugh. The author should have kept a journal instead of writing a book.
Allegra
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plus-online
Not my usual fare. I wanted some light reading, sans crime/murders, and this worked nicely. I found it amusing in parts and it was told in vignette style (so easy to jump in and out) but maybe I'd find more to love if I were a mommy.
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sorry to say I can't even finish this book! As a mom of 4, I was looking forward to a witty story about motherhood, marriage and life. This book is not that book. I had high hopes for this book, and I'm very disappointed!
  • Thin Wire: A Mother's Journey Through Her Daughter's Heroin Addiction
  • Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom
  • Corporate America
  • Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life
  • Dear Bob and Sue
  • Alaska Bound: One Man's Dream…One Woman's Nightmare!
  • Even More Ketchup than Salsa: The Final Dollop (More Ketchup, #2)
  • TMI Mom: Oversharing My Life
  • Whisper My Secret (Whisper My Secret #1)
  • The Relationship Shoppe
  • Tripped Up (SEALs On Fire, #8)
  • The Man Who Built Boxes and other stories
  • A Southern Place
  • I'll Cross the River (Daughter of China #3)
  • Sinner's Creed
  • In Woolen Bikinis (Jean & Rosie, #2)
  • The Sound of Crickets
  • Cafe du Jour
6420264
AK Turner is The New York Times bestselling author of the award-winning Vagabonding with Kids series, as well as This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, Mommy Had a Little Flask, and Hair of the Corn Dog. Her works have received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, IPPY Awards in Humor and Travel, Foreword Indies Awards, Independent Press Distinguished Favorite, and inclusion in BookLife’s ...more
More about A.K. Turner...
“Most women who struggle with their weight as I do hate to have their picture taken. It wouldn’t be so bad if there was physically a means of sucking in one’s neck, but as yet, I haven’t figured out how to do this.” 0 likes
“Specifically, we longed for a hiatus from Dora and Diego, not simply because these animated little cousins insist on yelling everything that comes out of their mouths, but also because Dora and Diego had completely failed in teaching our children Spanish. They now think that maps can talk and believe monkeys wear boots, but their Spanish skills are still as limited as my own. I’d been hoping to cultivate little translators, but no such luck.” 0 likes