Start by marking “The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)

The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker #12)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  4,396 Ratings  ·  518 Reviews
The next pulse-pounding thriller in John Connolly's internationally bestselling Charlie Parker series.

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone
Published October 28th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf in Winter, please sign up.

Khan Not at all, I had started with 'Dark Hollow' then just read whatever I could get my hands on at the local library. Each book resolves it's mysteries,…moreNot at all, I had started with 'Dark Hollow' then just read whatever I could get my hands on at the local library. Each book resolves it's mysteries, but it's clear that the author is setting up events for the fate of Parker himself and the villains chasing him. (less)

Paul Nelson
The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly mixes top draw detective fiction with a supernatural darkness, bordering on horror as he wages war on a hidden evil.

The Wolf In Winter is the 12th book of the series and John Connolly while seemingly throwing a suicide and normal missing persons case our way, hints at the end game for Charlie and all that follow him from the shadows.

This time Parker is compelled to throw his considerable force behind investigating the death of a homeless man and the dis
Colin Leslie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time a new Charlie Parker book is released I have mixed feelings. There is, of course, an air of childlike excitement knowing that Santa Connolly is returning down the chimney with your favourite toy but that is mixed with an air of trepidation. You see, the other books in this series have been so good that I never think the next one can surpass them but don't worry children this, the twelfth in the series, is better than ever.

Charlie Parker should be well known to every fan of horror, cri
Phrynne
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book from John Connolly in the Charlie Parker series. This one gets pretty spooky with the return of Susan and his first daughter and some interesting supernatural being which lives under the churchyard and has to be fed with young girls. I love Charlie but I also enjoy seeing Angel and Louis doing their thing and they have quite a large section of this book all to themselves so I was very happy. It was one of those books that I didn't want to end because I was enjoying it so m ...more
Char
This book was awesome and in my opinion, the BEST entry in the series so far. If you love Charlie Parker, you need to read this. If you're not reading the Charlie Parker series, you should be!
Brandon
The citizens of Prosperous, a small town in the state of Maine, have been a fortunate bunch.  Over the years, the town has thrived and its inhabitants have flourished.  But when the death of a homeless man and the disappearance of his daughter bring Detective Charlie Parker to town, secrets threaten to come to the surface.  Can Parker uncover the truth about Prosperous’ darkness or will he end up like many before him – fed to the town.

Connolly opens the twelfth installment of his acclaimed Charl
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Charlie Parker investigates the death of tramp with a missing daughter. And the search takes him to the city Prosperous, a peaceful and affluent little town in Main with an old stone church. But the town has a dark secret and there are people in the city that will do anything to protect the secret.

The story in the book slowly builds up, you get to know the new characters involved and you follow Charlie as he tries to get to the bottom of the case with the dead tramp and his missing daughter. It’
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Atria Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3 Stars

It is really my fault. I take full responsibility on this one. I saw this book on Net Galley and thought it would be a great read. It probably was.....to fans of the series. That's right - I thought I could jump into a series on book number 12 and not have any problems. Boy was I ever wrong.

This
Carol
There is something evil (view spoiler) in the town of Prosperous and Detective Charlie Parker is on to it....

This killer of a crime-mystery with a touch of supernatural really grabbed my attention at the get-go.......unfortunately, I did not realize it was the 12th book in a series and a few significant characters from the past made for a bit of confusion throughout the last half of the book.

So.......while I liked the writing, Detective Parker's character and thought

Kealan Burke
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After being slightly disappointed by the last few books in the Charlie Parker series, I found THE WOLF IN WINTER immensely satisfying and a perfect example of what Connolly does best. Ambiguous supernatural events blend seamlessly with thriller elements to make this one of the strongest entries in the series. I can't help but feel though, that Parker is playing less and less of a starring role as the series goes on.
Mark
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant thrillers & John Connolly
Recommended to Mark by: I do not remember but I am in his/her debt
Hell and fury visits a little town called Prosperous, and the secret that it hides beneath its ruins . . .

And all because a homeless man went looking for his daughter and ended up getting hung. The fact that he was known to a certain PI called Charlie Parker was about to become a problem for a nice and peacefull little place called Prosperous. At least that is the driving thought of the towns Eldermen & pastor, even if the towns police chief think they are wrong.

Once again Charlie Parker has
Debbie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I practically tore the hands off the postman when this turned up yesterday, and then fell into the alternative universe that John Connolly has created. For those who haven't read the others in the series - buy them, now, so you can catch up! There are 11 others to enjoy, and I envy anyone who gets to read them back to back instead of waiting for the next to come out.

Central character Charlie Parker is one of the most wonderful creations in fiction. I'd say crime fiction - he is an investigator -
Jon Recluse
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
John Connolly raises the bar on Dark Fiction every time he puts pen to paper, and the latest Charlie Parker thriller is no exception.
A tale of small town secrets that balances the evil men, and other things, do with true humanity....an honest, heartfelt empathy that is so very rare in the genre.

Highest recommendation/Required reading

Bam
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I am pretty obsessive about the need to read a mystery/thriller series in the proper order so as not to be completely at sea about any continuing characters/plotlines. But twice in the last two weeks I've thrown caution to the wind by reading the twelfth and most-recently published book in two long-standing series. The first was JANE AND THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS; that one worked out well because of my familiarity with Austen's life and work.
In The Wolf in Winter, the latest
Michael Robotham
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another impressive instalment of the Charlie Parker series - but this one is one for the true fans. Unless the reader is steeped in the background to the 'Believers' and the 'Backers' and the other clandestine characters that surface from previous books, he or she is likely to be a little lost.
Oscar
Jude, un vagabundo que busca a su hija desaparecida, termina dando con un pueblo con el esclarecedor nombre de Prosperous, en Maine, algo que le llevará a su muerte, que se hace pasar por suicidio. Y es aquí donde entra en juego el detective Charlie Parker, ya que Jude tenía intención de contratar los servicios de Parker para buscar a la joven. Parker, que no está nada convencido del suicidio de su amigo, seguirá sus propias pistas para dar con Prosperous, donde no será nada bien recibido.

‘El in
Bill
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
There is a presence of perfect and profound hostility in the town of Prosperous. A malevolent hunger given form. And it needs to be fed.

There is all kinds of crazy shit going down in this one and all of my favorite characters are back in the mix. It’s getting heavy up in here and I have a feeling it’s about to blow. Best series around. I am looking forward to the next one for sure.
Emma
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally picked this up a few weeks ago in a charity shop for £2. It was sad, but that's what this series had become for me. Just another of those you eventually get round to but from which you expect very little. A chance to catch up with the characters and nothing more. It had been hard to let go but I hadn't truly enjoyed the series since The Unquiet, and that's about 6 books ago. It felt like it had lost it's magic. Considering I still have my copy of Every Dead Thing (that i bought in 1999 ...more
Michelle
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
It's over. It's finished,done. I'm both content and disappointed I've completed this read. I cannot pretend to always be objective when it come to John Connolly as I have (almost) all his books and have been an avid fan since the first. This may not be the best in the series but it was worth the wait and ensured I will read more. When I saw this in store I snatched it from the shelf clutching it to my chest and smiling ( and possibly snarling and daring anyone to take it from me) looking around ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Wolf in Winter', book 12 in the Charlie Parker private detective series, continues to mystify us with vague opaque references to the evil, ancient and angry spirits haunting Parker, gentle reader. However, the author, John Connolly, is moving almost all of the previously introduced human characters (those which have survived) forward into new relationships to each other in this story, while at the same time keeping the center of the action circling around the trio of justice fighters we lov ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
In all fairness I did read a book that was #12 in a series. I enjoyed the parts that focused on the main mystery but was often confused and disinterested in what is probably a continuing story for the series. I like John Connolly's writing and I would definitely be interested in reading one of his stand alone books.

Really a 2 star rating but since I started with #12 in the series, enjoyed the parts about the mystery, and liked the writing I give this three stars.
Димитър Цолов
Книгите на Джон Конъли отдавна са надскочили жанровата рамка на трилъра. Анонсират ги по този начин, но в тях има всичко - и брутален хорър, и фентъзи мотиви, а ирландецът продължава да затвърждава мнението ми за качеството на авторите от Острова. Още по средата установих, че във "Вълкът през зимата" сякаш са си дали среща Лий Чайлд и Стивън Кинг. Не стилово, разбира се, защото всяко от изброените имена е прекалено ярка индивидуалност, за да бъде имитиран лесно, а по-скоро сюжетно. Емблематичния ...more
Ms. Nikki
My two favorite morally ambiguous men were called upon to mete out vengeance for their downed brother from another mother. AND IT WAS GREAT!!!!! No, I mean, they were great!

I like how things cooled down with The Collector because that way laid many unwanted conclusions.

Parker, lately, has seemed a bit more unfocused of his life expectancy and more focused on taking down all the bad guys he comes across as he begins to see that the game he is playing seems to be rigged by the "higher-ups."

The tow
Liz Barnsley
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Publication Date: April 10th 2014 from Hodder and Staughton.

Thank you kindly to Ellie Cheele for arranging the copy via Netgalley. You are now one of my favourite people!

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of the Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by the founders of the
Trev Twinem
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
John Connolly is a brilliant author and with his creation Charlie Parker has produced one of the most complete series of books ever published. This is the 12th outing for our great hero/ private detective and in this taut tale he is drawn to the town or Prosperous in an attempt to find what really happened to Annie Broyer. Annie’s estranged father Jude, living on the streets, has amassed the princely sum of $100+ that he hoped would entice the detective to help him....in Charlie’s own words that ...more
Karl
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Connolly has produced another well written fascinating book in his Charlie Parker series. In a book of this size and a series of this length it's a pleasure to see that Mr. Connolly can accomplish as much as he does.

Empathy would be the word I would use to describe the theme of this installment in the Parker saga. Empathy for the homeless of Maine. Empathy for the wild creatures that used to rule the back woods of the state. Empathy for those who have no control of their own lives.

Mr. Conno
Colin Murtagh
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm in two minds about this, I do love my Charlie Parker books, they are amongst the best on the market, but this one just seems to be missing a certain something. To be fair, it's still better than 95% of stuff on the market, but it feels to me more like a place holder. There's a few loose strings tied up, which seems to be incidental to the main story, which gives me the impression that this is a clearing of the decks. I'm wondering if this is the start of something new, a new chapter for Park ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had been reading the entire series. I've only read one other and it felt like I missed out on a lot of the series' flow. Everything else about it was good though. (Mostly) self-contained storyline, slick prose, character building, all that other happy crappy.
Gatorman
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant entry in the Charlie Parker series. Connolly shows again why he is the finest thriller writer alive today, period. If you're a fan of the series, read this one now.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Prosperous, Maine is an interesting little town. The name is a perfect fit, because for ages, they’ve been a town of prosper, and tolerance, and general well-being, and if their little church, the Congregation of Adam Before Eve & Eve Before Adam (brought brick by brick from Northumbria, in England), is a little odd, well, there are always odd little things in small towns, right? Outsiders are not very welcome, and home sales, who leave, who stays and
Gerhard
May 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
All the Charlie Parker thrillers have had a similar pattern of late: standalone thrillers, with the detective and Angel and Louis almost tangential characters, the former studiously hard-assed and doomed, and the latter like a Laurel and Hardy pairing for some often much-needed comic relief (though this time around we get Jewish jokes as well as the inevitable gay jokes).

Then there are a few bones tossed in to appease the overall story arc. The latter has increasingly taken the rather Dickensian
John Connolly Books 2 19 Feb 14, 2016 08:33PM
Advanced Reader Copy 2 42 Dec 17, 2014 10:33AM
A new mystery gen...: What about a Gothic tale with ruins of a dark, old church? 1 27 Feb 18, 2014 05:10AM
  • Crucifixion Creek (The Belltree Trilogy, #1)
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne, #12)
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • Animosity
  • Wolf (Jack Caffery, #7)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • The Lazarus Prophecy
  • Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah, #17)
  • A Crown of Lights (Merrily Watkins, #3)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado #2)
  • The Mask (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #5)
  • Nyctophobia
  • Murder at the Gardner (Homer Kelly, #7)
  • The Vanishment
  • The Cold Calling
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...

Charlie Parker (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • The Whisperers (Charlie Parker, #9)
  • The Burning Soul (Charlie Parker, #10)
“He was trying to put loss into words, but loss is absence and will always defy expression.” 13 likes
“Know a man by his metaphors.” 5 likes