Start by marking “Blue Notes: A Book Club Recommendation!” as Want to Read:
Blue Notes: A Book Club Recommendation!

Blue Notes: A Book Club Recommendation!

For fans of Jamie McGuire and S.C. Stephens, a sizzling new adult novel featuring the tumultuous relationship between a young piano prodigy and a reluctant billionaire playboy—set against the vibrant backdrop of a New Orleans college campus.

Published May 6th 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Blue Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Notes

✿kawehi.reviews
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
What initially caught my attraction to this book was the first line of its plot synopsis: "For fans of Jamie McGuire and S.C. Stephens". But after reading it, uhhhh..

description

NOT . EVEN. CLOSE.

Blue Notes sadly did not do it for me at all.

I struggled immensely throughout this read. From connecting to the book and its characters to the lack of chemistry and character development I just couldn't love it at all. Everything just seemed choppy, forced, "draggy", and simply directionless.

**And what's with the
Brigid
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Blue Notes by Carrie Lofty Review: DNF at page 200

Summary

Keeley Chambers wants to be memorable. She longs for a future where she gets to play piano professionally. She’s trying to pursue her career at a University in New Orleans, where she’s been tasked to help the beautiful, talented, and rich Adelaide. But Keeley becomes tied with the local rich douchebag, Jude. Their first encounter doesn’t go well, not even a little bit. He insults her looks at every turn, to almost no actual reason that I

Glass
DNF, 25%

I expected so much more from this book. Story doesn't make any sense, characters are annoying, writing is confusing... I don't like it at all. Also, it doesn't have anything in common with Thoughtless series and Kellan Kyle. That part should be deleted from book description - it's misleading.
Anna Banana

It was okay. I disliked pretty much everything. The only thing this book had going for it was the sexual tension. Review to come.
-ya
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Dnf at 51%.
Whether you like Beautiful Disaster/Thoughtless or not, I just want to say Blue Notes has very little common with both novels. Granted. Keeley is a more interesting character than Kiera. I single out Kiera character cuz she is probably the least likable heroine in all my NA read.

I have a soft spot for any book character with back stories like Keeley and Jude. It is just a matter of rooting for them that I held on to the pages for as long as I could. But the sexual tension between LCs
Booknut
In the place of a review, I just wanted to share a truly beautiful quote from Blue Notes instead:
'What is a relationship if not questions?

They're the blue notes that hover between yes and no, maybe and definitely, the present and the future. So many doubts. It took missing Jude so badly and facing the man who'd warped my life to realise I possess the power to answer those questions. I possess the power to shape my own life, and to inflict hurt on others. That's pretty hard to admit.

I've said I'
Rose
Initial reaction: "Blue Notes" actually surprised me in a few ways for the strength of the narrative, but I'll admit that it fell into a number of cliches and the pacing felt uneven through certain turns of the work. But I have to say that the overarching story did draw me in and felt realistic for the genre, probably even more than the narratives its cited in comparison to. I'll explain more in the full review.

Full review:

Yeah, color me surprised, because I don't often rate New Adult books abo
Debra

ARC courtesy of Gallery, Treshold, Pocket Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
Cait
This book is very very lucky I am giving it 2 stars - and I'm only doing that because I can't bear to give a Carrie Lofty book 1 star

This was not at all what I expected from the cover, or from what I've come to expect from the author.

So much of the plot never connected with me - Jude (OH MY GOD THIS DUDE WHAT THE WHAT) and the romance most of all. Normally in the case of a book like this I can be like oh well the sex was good. I can't even say that here because I felt so detached from it.

I en
Tracey (Life and Literature)
"Turn me on, sugar," he says, smoldering and daring. "Just you and that piano."

As soon as I saw this book on Goodreads, I had to have it. Did you read that synopsis? How perfect does it sound? It was on my mind all the time. Not always at the forefront, but tucked away in there somewhere desperately waiting for it to be released. I had built it up so much in my head, that I was almost scared to read it and have it disappoint me in any way. But when I finally had it in my hands, I jumped in f
Emily Bradley-dorman
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's not perfect, very few books are, but all in all I really quite enjoyed Blue Notes! It gripped hold of my curiosity from page one and didn't let me go until the very last sentence. It was intense at times and made me smile at others, and it was always 100% sexy.

Usually the thing I love most about a book is the characters - or at least one in particular - however, with this it was the story. Admittedly there were some predictable moments and parts that made me cringe - although I think they
Jess
I think I'm just really disappointed, which is sad for me because I've been looking forward to this book since it was announced. I was willing to pay the exorbitant original price for it, that's how much I was looking forward to it. But in the end, it just did not live up to my expectations at all and the major ways it let me down are related to two things.

1) I was expecting to get a Carrie Lofty New Adult novel, not a New Adult novel. And maybe that was a wrong expectation to have, but I REALLY
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Carrie Lofty.)
21-year-old Keeley has had a difficult upbringing living with her vice-addicted parents, and then having to find her mother murdered. Now a 21-year-old music student, she’s looking for love.
Is Jude the right guy for her though?

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t really for me.

Keeley was an okay character, and I liked how strong she was in the face of adversity. She’d obvi
CeCe
I am not sure how I felt about this book when I finished it. The characters are likable, but somewhere at the half way point, I lost whatever connection I had with them.
I loved that Keeley truly loved her foster parents. The scenes when Keeley calls them when she has a bad dream or something in her life happens showed the great relationship she had with them.

The negative: There were many times in the story where Keeley’s POV was too wordy. There was too much information that I found myself ski
Mandy
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The story was interesting and I liked most of the characters. I struggled a little bit with how the story flowed and a little bit with the relationship development between the characters. Also, I would've really liked an epilogue - it felt like some of the story was left unfinished when the book ended. I enjoyed this book and would read more if the author turned this into a series (to tell Adeline's story.)
Amy
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars, 2014
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Blue Notes was such a great story. I was pulled into the story from the first page and couldn't wait to read more. The writing was amazing!

The banter between Jude and Keeley was wonderful. I loved watching their relationship grow. Blue Notes had some great romance, friendships and angst.

Blue Notes was a very enjoyable read and would definitely love to read more!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
*Review to come*
Ella Janine
It was foolish of me to think that the story, the characters, and the romance will get better.

Read full review at The Filipina Booknote
Amber
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readable
Oh my gosh...LOVED this book so much!!! Full review to come.
Marie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
So the most glaring thing with this book was that I misread the intended audience... I downloaded the ebook thinking that it was a skewing-toward-YA NA book but instead it was definitely-adult NA. I blushed pretty heartily, and only skim read certain sections. And I don't consider myself a prude! But the author used every descriptive word in her vocab for this one.

Once you get past the fact that this is a stereotypical romance, the base storyline isn't really any good. It's barely there at all.
Lindy
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

Blue Notes, by Carrie Lofty, was an interesting story. The very beginning of the story was amazing and completely caught my attention. It was about Keely's dark, and horrific past with her real parents. I could feel the insecurity and terror of poor little Keeley, and everything that she was put through by her drug addicted, abusive, con artist parents. Keely ends up witnessing a horrific act of violence that forever changes her life. She is taken to live permanently with two very sw
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
2.5 Meh Stars!!

eARC for Honest Review from Gallery Books via NetGalley

"My, oh my, Keeley Chambers. " She takes my hand and gives it a squeeze. "I hope Jude doesn't break your heart, because I do like you."

Hmmm so I wanted to like this because it had loads of potential but it ended up falling flat for me. :(

It had many aspects I wanted to like, a supposingly strong female, and alpha male, drama, angst and love.  However, Jude who was supposed to be an alpha male but he just didn't qu
Pug
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
WARNING! If you don't like very steamy books, then you definitely don't want to read this one. I know on the cover it says that the romance is hot, but this was too hot too handle.
It was dirty yet cheesy at the same time. The romance was like something out of one of those romance novels you can purchase at the checkout line of your drug store- poor talented girl with bad past meets older millionaire playboy with the heart of gold. The way how Jude called Keely "sugar" got on my nerves at times,
Amanda
 photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 18

Well, color me surprised. Not necessarily because I actually liked a NA book. No, but because I liked one that is littered with the usual clichés. Who would've thought?

In truth, Blue Notes has so many clichés that I'm normally not a fan of due to how they've been incorporated in the NA genre and rarely done well. That's the difference though. Blue Notes, full with these tropes, does them well. I've been turning it over and over in my head what this book does differently fro
Lindsay
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review

Music connects us all, even if it doesn’t always seem that way. While some of us prefer death metal over classical, no one has ever failed to answer the question “what’s your favorite kind of music?” We all have that song that rocks us to our core; our Jam. Keeley feels her music right down to her soul. It takes her into a kind of trance, as she composes. In those moments, she takes the reader with her, getting lost in her own little world. While I loved getting an inside look into her
Kirsti
Jul 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I feel kind of let down by my local bookstore. I buy books the way some people buy lollies, pretty much walking into a store and stocking up on my favorites. I buy five or six books at a time, and it might take months to read them, but I get round to them eventually. This was part of one such spree. It was in the teenage section, but this isn't really a YA novel, summed up here on Goodreads as 'New Adult'. If I'd known that I don't think I would have bought it.

Cringe worthy sex, and I don't mean
Heather
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-boyfriends
I loved loved loved Blue Notes!

The title caught my eye first – or my music major’s eye. I have a thing for music books. Rock stars, classical musicians, even dance because dancers get music, I love music. I love how much Keeley feels the music when she is playing it. I could feel it through the words on the page.

And I jump ahead of myself.

The book starts with a young Keeley, with what puts her in the care of her foster family, that part of the book is heart breaking. It’s not overly dark, it’s s
Farrah
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deep, emotional, and absolutely lovely New Adult romance, Blue Notes was a wonderful read. I really liked this book. It was a sweet, romantic, and truly enjoyable read.

Keeley was a wonderful heroine. She went through a lot and, though it made her withdrawn, it also made her very resilient and strong. I loved how, in her own quiet way, she refused to take crap from anyone, even a super attractive billionaire. She was lovely and I really liked her.

Jude was also great. I'll be honest, he could be
Katie
You might want to read Jess and Cait's review's before you read mind because theirs affected my mindset heading into this book.

Jess, Cait and I don't have identical opinions when it comes to books, but this is one we've all been looking forward to and I think we've been pretty in synch on the new adult genre. So when they didn't like it, I figured I might end up not finishing it.

So that let me take the first part of the book not very seriously, which let me enjoy it somewhat. And, you know, ther
Juhina
Jun 16, 2014 marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: disappointment
DNF at 280. I know I said I will push through.. But why? I have too many books I can spend this time reading. The emotional aspect of the book I was waiting for never showed and all I got was the main protagonist talking about her not so great looks and going back and forth between hating and obsessing over the love interest. The emotional parts with her legal guardians/adoptive parents seemed so superficial and I just wanted more. The title, cover, and synopsis promised a music themed book but ...more
deb22luvsbooks
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alones
This book is everything you want in a romance novel. A gifted girl who has a tragic past, a cocky dude who is not what he appears to be and just enough tension and angst to keep you turning the pages! It was sexy without being smutty and piles on tons of Southern charm....definitely enough to give you the feels! I enjoyed this book very much and will be seeking this author out again and again.
menr
Jul 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
The cover was what first attracted me. The blurb also sounded interesting enough. Sadly, the insta-lust didn't do it for me. It was too intense, too serious, that it just got boring fast. Maybe I would have believed the romance more if there was some lightness in their relationship, or they connected on a more friendly level instead of just wanting to bone each other.
Julia
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't so much play with romance tropes as breath new life into them. For all the fetishizing of virgins in 50 SHADES, I didn't expect to enjoy a red hot romance that's all about the foreplay leading up to deflowering. Keeley is gorgeously written, from her music to her romance, and I lost myself in this book from page one.
Mskychick
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-contest
I won this book via Twitter. Blue Notes does have the very common trope of a billionaire who seduces a sheltered virgin, with both she and he having had bad trauma in their pasts. I had some trepidation about this, because I'm getting tired of overbearing billionaires corrupting sweet young things. I'm getting somewhat tired of this overused premise. Blue Notes book superseded all my expectations for this overly used trope right now, however, and shows why a trope is so often used- because it ca ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
This was a lovely, thought-provoking, artistic novel, with some hot, sexy billionaire thrown in for good measure! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Keeley’s personal journey from lost foster kid to budding pianist. It was heartrending at times, and flustering at times, and just a downright good story, even without the added “education”. I only wish their had been a soundtrack to go with it, because the one in my head, no doubt, did it no justice. The imagery is beautiful, and so detailed you ca ...more
Leanne Davis
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm torn what to give this book. I liked Keeley's character a lot. Her back story through foster care was so sad and explained so much of who she was. I admired her relationship with her foster parents and her passion for music. I didn't get however, her stage freight thing. It was written like one conversation and Jude transformed her so she could simply perform. This could have been a really integral part of the story and explored a lot deeper and used as a connection for Jude and Keeley. But ...more
Callixta
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it

Carrie Lofty, comme beaucoup, se lancent dans la romance NA et cela donne un très bon roman qui n’innove pas considérablement mais apporte tout e que l’on attend de ce genre de lecture et même un peu plus.

Pourtant le couple mis en scène est connu, un chef d’entreprise et une étudiante mais Carrie Lofty a sa propre HISTOIRE à raconter. Jude Villars est un très jeune chef d’entreprise qui a pris la direction des affaires familiales après la mort accidentelle
Alissa
I will start with that I enjoyed this book. It was engaging with a story line and characters that I could fall in love with.

That said, I had some issues with the book, starting with the description. It says she was bounced from foster family to foster family, but in the book we find out pretty early on that she only had one foster family.

And as much as I enjoyed watching the relationship between Keeley and Jude progress it sometimes felt a little flat, particularly in the sexy-times bits. Whic
Anja
Jan 15, 2015 marked it as to-read

After being bounced from foster family to foster family, Keeley, a talented pianist, is ready to start over as a junior at Tulane. But when she plays a small concert that attracts the attention of Jude, a brooding playboy and heir to an enormous fortune in th
Katie
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be found on my blog: http://kittensandbooks.wordpress.com/...

This book was so easy to read. It was really nice and exactly what I had been looking for. The fast pace is enough to keep things interesting and I was hooked from the first couple pages.

Keeley was such a great character. Some bits, especially at the beginning, felt dramatic and she was definitely self-pitying due to her past. The thing I really enjoyed though, was her development at the end. She was so strong and
Melissa
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

4 Memorable Stars

I really liked this book. It was romantic, playful and had just the right amount of sexual tension.

Keeley Chambers is a prodigy piano player that just recently transferred to Tulane University after receiving a music fellowship. Composing music and playing the piano is her voice, her way of dealing with the turmoil she's been through in her life. But it's something that she doesn't really share with othe
old account (rl)
2.5 stars - Review copy provided by t he author for an honest review.

Blue Notes was a hard book for me to get into. There were parts that I didn't mind and actually enjoyed, but there were a lot of moments were I wanted to throw my kindle across the room in frustration.

The characters were a big issue for me, well, namely Jude. Ah, Jude Villars: the rich, bad boy orphan with that charming, tempting smile and - drum roll, please - possessive, overbearing nature. Yep, cue the official asshole card
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
Blue Notes is a New Adult romance coming out next month. It's by author Carrie Lofty – someone who is new to me. Blue Notes is a powerfully romantic story between a young college woman named Keeley and rich CEO named Jude. This book almost partially reminded me of Fifty Shades of Grey (except better written). People may think that I'm crazy for the comparison – and for the record, I loved Fifty Shades. There is no BDSM, no “kinkery”... but other things reminded me of it. Especially Jude. He runs ...more
Lisa
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Keeley Chambers has had a rough life. Her parents were horrible and her father ended up in jail for killing her mother. She's started over with the help of foster parents who ended up adopting her. She's got a new name and new life. She's finally going away to college and to study piano, her dream. There, she meets Jude. He's a few years older than her and a billionaire, totally our of her league. As they start to get closer, Keeley struggles with letting him in because of her past. Unfortunatel ...more
Teri Beth
Review included in my Week In Review at Lives and Breathes Book Blog.

I’m not even gonna lie, I bought this book the day it was released because of the cover. I thought the cover was adorable. So I started Blue Notes, not even reading the synopsis. I probably should have. I didn’t realize this was a billionaire story. Not that I don’t like them, I just wasn't expecting that, and they're just less believable to me. The prologue hooked me and made me super curious about Keeley Chambers. To begin wi
  • Losing It Series Boxed Set
  • Tryst (Take It Off, #8)
  • Playing Pretend
  • Precious Things
  • Sweet & Wild (Canton, #2)
  • The Boy in the Band (The Boy in the Band, #1)
  • Silver Heart
  • Stardom (Fusion, #3)
  • Friend is a Four Letter Word (Risk the Fall #4)
  • Seducing Mr. Right (Come Undone, #3.5)
  • The Art of Love
  • Whisper to Me (Between Breaths, #3)
  • Encore (Amplified #2)
  • Make it Right (Bowler University, #2)
  • Have Mercy
  • Tease (The Ivy Chronicles, #2)
  • The Warrior (Dante Walker, #3)
  • Feeling This
Two time RITA-nominated and multiple RT Reviewers' Choice-winning author Carrie Lofty has over twenty-five books to her name--or four names, to be precise. Her paranormal (as Lindsey Piper ) and historical romances from Pocket have been described as "nuanced and superbly realized" (The Chicago Tribune) and "sexy, brutal and somehow innocent" (All About Romance).

In college, Carrie lured an unsusp
“I’m Dorothy trying to get to the Emerald City. Only, someone forgot to paint the sidewalks yellow.” 3 likes
“People can be cruel, deadly, heartless, selfish, disrespectful. They can be vice-ridden and lack any basic empathy toward their fellow man.” 2 likes