Start by marking “All Fishermen Are Liars” as Want to Read:
All Fishermen Are Liars

All Fishermen Are Liars

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
From the Pacific Northwest to the Upper Midwest to the Canadian Maritimes, “America’s best fishing writer” (Houston Chronicle) shows us why life’s most valuable lessons—and some of its best experiences—are found while fly-fishing.

“I have to go fishing; it’s my job.” John Gierach can say that and mean it. But fishing is only part of his job. The other part is writing about
Published April 15th 2014 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about All Fishermen Are Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fishermen Are Liars

Mark
Aug 28, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, nature, essays
All Fishermen are Liars, by John Gierlach, 2014. This is an enjoyable set of essays – they read like long columns – about fishing for trout all over North America. Gierach can be funny, and he is certainly knowledgeable and skillful, both in fishing and in writing. And he can, in spots, add weight to his writing, expressing something of his personal experience. My favorites were “Tree River” about fishing in Nunavut, and “Wyoming”, the last chapter in this book. Here’s a selection from “Wyoming” ...more
Angie
Jun 15, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received this from the First Reads program.

I guess I'm here to give a non-fisherman review. I don't fish, but I come from a family of fishermen and can understand the draw. This seems to be a series of collected essays (no connecting material or ideas, besides fish, of course) pulled together under a title that, besides referring to fishermen, has nothing to do with any of the essays.

It took me about 70 pages to get into the book. That's about how long it took me to forgive the author for the
Michael Burden
Jun 13, 2014 Michael Burden rated it it was amazing
I've never read any any of Gierach's books and picked this one up simply based on the title. He is a great writer and you can see his passion for the sport in his storytelling. I'm not a fly fisherman nor have I ever touched a fly rod, but Gierach's stories read in a way that can captivate any fisherman. Everything can be applied to just about any kind of fishing and I found myself often nodding and laughing because of the connections he is able to make with all types of fisherman. No matter how ...more
George
Nov 23, 2015 George added it
"All fishermen are liars is a great book. "All fishermen are liars" is about John Gierach who travels across North America from the Pacific Northwest. He shows the art of fly tying and the quest in order to catch perfect Steelhead. He will fish all the way across America to find the great spots. This book made me think about my future because I think as a fly fishermen and fly tier that this would be a great experience. The book has really given me thought about traveling and fishing. The book h ...more
Anne
Jan 06, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Every once in a great while, I like to read a book on fly fishing. I don't know why. I read A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, and pretty much loved that. I vaguely remember reading a book about tying flies one hot summer during my teen years. I kept seeing this book on the shelf in the library, so thought I would bring it home and give it a read. Each chapter describes a fishing trip the author went on, some of them more interesting than others, needless to say. And it was pretty good. ...more
Matt
Nov 06, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
Anything fish-related catches my eye, even though I am not really a fisherman. That is why I am interested in books like this, to better learn why people like to fish. If you were to read only one book to do the same, this is a good choice. I am fascinated with the beauty of ichthyofauna, trout in particular, but wouldn’t know where to begin if handed a fly rod. I had to kind of pass over some of the technical terms, like the numbers assigned to pieces of equipment. However, after reading enough ...more
Tom
Apr 20, 2015 Tom rated it liked it
The first chapter could have been my own bio . . . cane poles, crawling through barbed wire fences, trespassing, getting caught, running like heck to get away from the property owner, all of this making the fishing hole even more mysterious and desirable.

A question for the author . . . your are a fisherman and therefore a liar. Thus when you aver through the title that "All Fishermen Are Liars" isn't that a lie therefore the truth is that no fishermen are liars?
Mike Reuther
Gierach is still at the top of his game as America's best fishing writer. At times wry and philosphical, Gierach uses these essays to take the reader from remote Canada for salmon to Oregon for steelhead. Of course, there's also the usual Gierach journeys to those wonderful trout streams of the Rocky Mountains.
Mike H
Nov 25, 2014 Mike H rated it really liked it
This book was my first Gierach. As a fisherman who has taken several trips of the kind described in the book, I can say the author really made me feel like I was there with him- on the trip out, at the camp, on the stream, or just hanging out at the local cafe. Well done!
Alan
Aug 05, 2015 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fishing
Another nice collection of fly-fishing essays with Gierach's (should be) trademark style of wit and reflection. As always, it is hard to read his work without the urge to up and quit one's job and move to some Norman MacLeanesque trout paradise.
David Orrino
Ok but...

I'm.a fan of Gierach. but I like his stories of small stream fishing better. the kind of fishing the average angler does. this book has too much of the trips most people never or seldom take.
John McAneney
Aug 02, 2014 John McAneney rated it it was amazing
I really surprised by this book: sporting texts don't always make for interesting reading. After being alerted to this one by a newspaper review, I really loved it. It comprises beautifully written essays full of wry humour and observations about places, people and life in general. These can be read and reread in any order. Oh, and if you are the least bit interested, you'll also learn a bit about the art of fly fishing and fly fishermen. It is truly wonderful.
Ronald
Jan 31, 2015 Ronald rated it liked it
While I enjoyed it as I do all of his books, this one spent more time on fishing for steelhead and salmon, while I rather enjoyed his stories about fishing for trout. But it still beat reading about life in an office!
Amber
Apr 28, 2014 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book is just fun. Through a collection of stories about his personal fishing trips and the art of fly fishing, the author is able to share the love he has for this sport with you. There is quite a bit of technical jargon related to flies, but it adds to the overall quality of the book.

I would recommend this book for those who fish or those (like me) who grew up fishing and have now a more urban existence but still feel the call to the water at times.

I was a Goodreads First Reads winner.
Michael Blake
Dec 31, 2014 Michael Blake rated it liked it
I love the way Gierach puts words together and weaves the anecdotes of his books. This is his latest and well worth the time investment.
Darlene Cruz
Jan 09, 2016 Darlene Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful tale, fishing and all. Whisked away with the author hurdling wildly on each fishing trip let alone learning a thing or two about fly fishing. I don't pretend to know anything about being a fly fishermen but after reading this book I became educated. Did I feel John Gierach knew what he was talking about, a big fat yes! Every turn of the page I noticed his experience on the subject because he told it with a passion for it. Thank you for that. I received a free book that I had wo ...more
Emily
May 26, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
An amusing and enlightening collection of stories that sound all too true to anyone who has a love for fishing whether you use flies, lures, or live bait all fishing is an act designed to enlighten some and frustrate others. I was especially interested in the chapter on Tenkara since this is something that I personally want to try. I will defiantly be passing this book on to my friends.
Robert Davidson
Jul 28, 2014 Robert Davidson rated it it was amazing
This Author knows his fishing and imparts his knowledge in a relaxed style and the book was a joy to read. Anyone who has been to a fishing or hunting camp will appreciate his observations on the People, Locations and types of fishing in the United States and Canada.
Pat
Jul 30, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Nobody writes more beautiful essays about fishing than john gierach
Donna Shaw
Apr 26, 2014 Donna Shaw rated it it was amazing
I gave this book to my husband as a gift. He has an extensive book collection and many of Gierach's books. He enjoys reading his stories. As my husband in an avid fly-fisherman and ties his own flies, I consider his opinion, though I personally have not read the book, as one worth posting.
Barbara
Jun 04, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
All Fisherman Are Liars
by John Gierach
Goodreads Author

If you ever want to fly fish best read this first. The author knows
where to go and what baits to use, ect. Lucky are those who can have
a job that is fishing. I should have read this many years ago!
My cast may have went in the water, instead of getting tangled in the bushes next to me.
I enjoyed the humor sprinkled in the fishing trips.
Mark
Jul 15, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
It's an enjoyable read, but nothing more than a well-polished blog.
Derek Arnold
Oct 28, 2015 Derek Arnold rated it really liked it
Don't know jack about fly-fishing, so I was lost with some jargon, but great, great, writing.
Stephanie
Aug 15, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but you definitely need to fish or know someone who does (my opinion). The author has a great style of writing that makes you feel like you're talking with a friend.
Michelle
This reads like a travel guide of best fishing holes of North America. Where to go and what to tie on when you get there. Also, what the author caught but given the title I'm not sure he can be trusted. I wasn't the target audience but I found the writing was compelling. I'd love to travel to some of these spots and just not fish.
Katie
Jun 11, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like fishing or are married to a fisherman like me you will love this book. Great stories and well written. Thank you!
Robert M. Roman
Nov 24, 2015 Robert M. Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good one as usual

My favorite fishing author. Great read to live vicariously through during a boring winter. Or a worthy distraction from tying flies
Rob Blaine
Jun 25, 2014 Rob Blaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: outdoors, nonfiction
Like reading a letter from an old friend.
Cliff
Feb 22, 2016 Cliff rated it really liked it
Standard Gierach. If you love him, you will love this one.
Eric
Jul 21, 2014 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: fishing, read-in-2014
Nice to read some Gierach again.
Fly Fish Literati: All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach 9 25 Dec 09, 2014 04:07PM
  • The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
  • Dear Reader: The Unauthorized Autobiography of Kim Jong Il
  • Wild Pitches
  • Dwelling in Possibility: Searching for the Soul of Shelter
  • The Black Death
  • Falling into Place: An Intimate Geography of Home
  • North Dixie Highway
  • Red Dirt: Growing Up Okie
  • Ping-Pong Diplomacy: The Secret History Behind the Game That Changed the World
  • The Slaves Have Names: Ancestors of My Home
  • Half Slave and Half Free: The Roots of Civil War
  • To Have And To Hold: An Intimate History Of Collectors and Collecting
  • Evening's Empire: A History of the Night in Early Modern Europe
  • The Participatory Museum
  • For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • A Turn In The South