Start by marking “All Fishermen Are Liars” as Want to Read:
All Fishermen Are Liars

All Fishermen Are Liars

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  22 reviews
“I have to go fishing; it’s my job.” John Gierach can say that and mean it. But fishing is only part of his job. The other part is writing about his fishing adventures. And that’s the part we readers get to enjoy.

In All Fishermen Are Liars, Gierach travels across North America from the Pacific Northwest to the Canadian Maritimes to s
Published April 15th 2014 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about All Fishermen Are Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fishermen Are Liars

Angie
I received this from the First Reads program.

I guess I'm here to give a non-fisherman review. I don't fish, but I come from a family of fishermen and can understand the draw. This seems to be a series of collected essays (no connecting material or ideas, besides fish, of course) pulled together under a title that, besides referring to fishermen, has nothing to do with any of the essays.

It took me about 70 pages to get into the book. That's about how long it took me to forgive the author for the
Michael Burden
I've never read any any of Gierach's books and picked this one up simply based on the title. He is a great writer and you can see his passion for the sport in his storytelling. I'm not a fly fisherman nor have I ever touched a fly rod, but Gierach's stories read in a way that can captivate any fisherman. Everything can be applied to just about any kind of fishing and I found myself often nodding and laughing because of the connections he is able to make with all types of fisherman. No matter how ...more
Anne
Every once in a great while, I like to read a book on fly fishing. I don't know why. I read A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, and pretty much loved that. I vaguely remember reading a book about tying flies one hot summer during my teen years. I kept seeing this book on the shelf in the library, so thought I would bring it home and give it a read. Each chapter describes a fishing trip the author went on, some of them more interesting than others, needless to say. And it was pretty good. ...more
Matt
Anything fish-related catches my eye, even though I am not really a fisherman. That is why I am interested in books like this, to better learn why people like to fish. If you were to read only one book to do the same, this is a good choice. I am fascinated with the beauty of ichthyofauna, trout in particular, but wouldn’t know where to begin if handed a fly rod. I had to kind of pass over some of the technical terms, like the numbers assigned to pieces of equipment. However, after reading enough ...more
Tom
The first chapter could have been my own bio . . . cane poles, crawling through barbed wire fences, trespassing, getting caught, running like heck to get away from the property owner, all of this making the fishing hole even more mysterious and desirable.

A question for the author . . . your are a fisherman and therefore a liar. Thus when you aver through the title that "All Fishermen Are Liars" isn't that a lie therefore the truth is that no fishermen are liars?
Mike Reuther
Gierach is still at the top of his game as America's best fishing writer. At times wry and philosphical, Gierach uses these essays to take the reader from remote Canada for salmon to Oregon for steelhead. Of course, there's also the usual Gierach journeys to those wonderful trout streams of the Rocky Mountains.
Mike H
This book was my first Gierach. As a fisherman who has taken several trips of the kind described in the book, I can say the author really made me feel like I was there with him- on the trip out, at the camp, on the stream, or just hanging out at the local cafe. Well done!
David Orrino
Ok but...

I'm.a fan of Gierach. but I like his stories of small stream fishing better. the kind of fishing the average angler does. this book has too much of the trips most people never or seldom take.
John McAneney
I really surprised by this book: sporting texts don't always make for interesting reading. After being alerted to this one by a newspaper review, I really loved it. It comprises beautifully written essays full of wry humour and observations about places, people and life in general. These can be read and reread in any order. Oh, and if you are the least bit interested, you'll also learn a bit about the art of fly fishing and fly fishermen. It is truly wonderful.
Ronald
While I enjoyed it as I do all of his books, this one spent more time on fishing for steelhead and salmon, while I rather enjoyed his stories about fishing for trout. But it still beat reading about life in an office!
Amber
This book is just fun. Through a collection of stories about his personal fishing trips and the art of fly fishing, the author is able to share the love he has for this sport with you. There is quite a bit of technical jargon related to flies, but it adds to the overall quality of the book.

I would recommend this book for those who fish or those (like me) who grew up fishing and have now a more urban existence but still feel the call to the water at times.

I was a Goodreads First Reads winner.
Michael Blake
I love the way Gierach puts words together and weaves the anecdotes of his books. This is his latest and well worth the time investment.
Emily
An amusing and enlightening collection of stories that sound all too true to anyone who has a love for fishing whether you use flies, lures, or live bait all fishing is an act designed to enlighten some and frustrate others. I was especially interested in the chapter on Tenkara since this is something that I personally want to try. I will defiantly be passing this book on to my friends.
Robert Davidson
This Author knows his fishing and imparts his knowledge in a relaxed style and the book was a joy to read. Anyone who has been to a fishing or hunting camp will appreciate his observations on the People, Locations and types of fishing in the United States and Canada.
Pat
Nobody writes more beautiful essays about fishing than john gierach
Donna Shaw
I gave this book to my husband as a gift. He has an extensive book collection and many of Gierach's books. He enjoys reading his stories. As my husband in an avid fly-fisherman and ties his own flies, I consider his opinion, though I personally have not read the book, as one worth posting.
Barbara
All Fisherman Are Liars
by John Gierach
Goodreads Author

If you ever want to fly fish best read this first. The author knows
where to go and what baits to use, ect. Lucky are those who can have
a job that is fishing. I should have read this many years ago!
My cast may have went in the water, instead of getting tangled in the bushes next to me.
I enjoyed the humor sprinkled in the fishing trips.
Mark
It's an enjoyable read, but nothing more than a well-polished blog.
Michelle
This reads like a travel guide of best fishing holes of North America. Where to go and what to tie on when you get there. Also, what the author caught but given the title I'm not sure he can be trusted. I wasn't the target audience but I found the writing was compelling. I'd love to travel to some of these spots and just not fish.
Katie
If you like fishing or are married to a fisherman like me you will love this book. Great stories and well written. Thank you!
Rob Blaine
Like reading a letter from an old friend.
Eric
Nice to read some Gierach again.
Dwight
Dwight is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Shawn
Shawn is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Garrett Speace
Garrett Speace marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Christopher Grogan
Christopher Grogan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Fly Fish Literati: All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach 9 25 Dec 09, 2014 04:07PM
  • The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
  • The Black Death
  • Dwelling in Possibility: Searching for the Soul of Shelter
  • Wild Pitches
  • Ping-Pong Diplomacy: The Secret History Behind the Game That Changed the World
  • To Have And To Hold: An Intimate History Of Collectors and Collecting
  • The Participatory Museum
  • Life is a Wheel: A Passage Across America by Bicycle
  • For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison
  • Black Earth: A Journey Through Russia After the Fall
Trout Bum Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing Standing in a River Waving a Stick Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury Fool's Paradise