Start by marking “The Chronicle of Secret Riven (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chronicle of Secret Riven (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #2)

The Chronicle of Secret Riven (Keeper of Tales Trilogy #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An uncanny child born to brilliant parents, befriended by a prince, mentored by a wise woman, pursued by a powerful man, Secret Riven has no idea what destiny will demand of her or the courage she must have to confront it in the breathtakingly epic, genre-spanning sequel to The Mapmaker’s War.

One thousand years after a great conflict known as The Mapmaker’s War, a daughter
Published May 20th 2014 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicle of Secret Riven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicle of Secret Riven

Mary McMyne
This second book in the Keeper of Tales trilogy is my favorite so far! It's lush and entertaining: a sweeping and epic coming of age tale, set in an inventive world, with a deeply sympathetic heroine.

Born a thousand years after the Mapmaker's War to selfish, brilliant parents, Secret Riven cannot speak, although she can mysteriously communicate with plants and animals. Unable to hide her strangeness, she finds herself ignored by her parents and ostracized by her peers. Frequent readers of liter
Judy
Book Two of The Keeper of Tales trilogy takes place 1000 years after The Mapmaker's War. Secret Riven is the daughter of an ambitious historian and a gifted translator. She is silent as a baby, toddler, and young child, not speaking until she is in second grade.

Her silence is only an outward manifestation of Secret's differences. She can communicate non-verbally with plants and animals. She also suffers from unsettling visions and dreams, many of which leave her either ill or in pain. Ronlyn Do
Ionia
I LOVE THIS BOOK.

Ever have such high expectations for a book that you are actually a little afraid to start reading it? That was me with this novel. Good news though, this book not only met those expectations, but far exceeded them.

It is not too often that I find a main character that I not only love, but feel so much kinship with that I feel like I am connected to them in some way. Secret is that character. When you get to know her, you can't help but love her. Perhaps it is her gentle nature
Nick
I received this book as a Goodreads First Read giveaway.

Quick disclaimer: I have not read the first in the series.

I have strongly mixed feeling about this book. First, the good stuff:
1. There is something very engaging about the writing style in the main story. At some point, I got hooked and couldn't put the book down.
2. This part of the trilogy is setting up a potentially very great conclusion.
3. There's a dragon. Maybe. Probably. We're not sure, but one can hope. Dragons can't be bad, right?
Debbie
The Chronicle of Secret Riven must have been written to solely frustrate the reader. The story keeps building and building, but nothing ever happens. The main character Secret spends the entire book in denial, about everything. When she was born she was mute, but she was able to communicate with animals. She befriends a squirrel who leads her to secret woods where an Old Woman is there to tell her stories and give her guidance. She also befriends the prince of the kingdom and at times he accompa ...more
Lissa Sloan
Secret Riven, born with eyes the color of night and day, is the daughter of a gifted translator who can read any language. As she grows, Secret proves to have gifts of her own. She can understand and speak in the silent language of plants and animals. Secret matures surrounded by mysteries and dreams she does not understand, destined for a fate she may want no part in.

I have not yet read the Mapmaker's War (book one in the Keeper of Tales trilogy), but this did not stop me from enjoying this boo
Viviane Crystal
A thousand years after the Mapmaker’s war (described in a previous novel by this same author), Secret Riven is born to a historian father and a mother who is able to translate multiple languages. Secret cannot speak for years, a lack that seems to strengthen her talent for telepathically communicating with plants and animals. Her contact with nature is limited at first until her father receives a plush job that enables them to move to a town bordering on multiple forests and groves, filled with ...more
Paul Allard
This is a second part of a trilogy but I found that this book can be read independently without the continuity posing any problem. However it seems from the ending that the third book is necessary to make sense of the whole thing.

The story of Secret Riven covers her life from childhood to young adulthood and shows her development throughout this period of her life.

One of the problem is that I had is that I read a Kindle unedited version where the illustrations were superimposed on the text which
Cheryl
I can remember reading The Mapmaker's War and falling in love with the book and the author. I thought that Ronlyn brought something new and refreshing that I had not read in a long time. While The Chronicle of Secret Riven is the second book in this trilogy, it is completely different from the first book. So if you have not read The Mapmaker's War then you would be fine reading this book. Although, I have to tell you that you should go back and read the first book. You will be hooked.

In this se
Patty
This book is the sequel to The Mapmaker's War but unlike most sequels it takes place 1,000 years in the future from the end of the first book of the trilogy. Our heroine, Secret Riven is born to a social climbing father who feels he belongs to a higher class and lost this prestige through time and a mother with very unique talents who lives in fear of some great unknown. Secret is silent for the first seven years of her life but she is by no means dumb. She also seems to have an affinity for und ...more
Alexis Osborne
This book is a page-turner that will live on in your mind long after you've finished reading it. It's one of my favorites and I know I will re-read it. Secret is an outcast of sorts with an ailment that turns into a gift. She rises from her strained circumstances and grows into a thriving young woman in control of her gift. The story is rooted in a realistic setting, yet has a feeling of fables and fairy tales as well. Reading this book is like having a secret world to retreat into after a hard ...more
Becky Vanginkel
I received this book as a Goodreads First Read giveaway.

I just want to say first that I have NOT read the first book in this series, and this was the first Fantasy story I have EVER read!

When I started reading The Chronicle of Secret Riven (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #2), I had a really hard time getting into it. I got confused and still am confused about the interludes although they were very well written and very descriptive.

My favorite thing about this book though was Secret, the main characte
Renae
Seeing that The Mapmaker’s War was one of my favorite 2013 reads, I was certainly eager to read this sequel. The world and mythology of this series is excellent, and Ronlyn Domingue tells her stories in such a way that defies specific categorization. The Chronicle of Secret Riven didn’t quite live up to the first book, but it was still a good story.

This book takes place 1,000 years after the events of book 1, so it could almost be considered a standalone, though I believe certain aspects of the
ashley | citygirlscapes
Originally posted on citygirlscapes.com

Last year, we stumbled on a gem of a book find – The Mapmaker’s War by Ronlyn Domingue. We fell in love with this unique story and strong female lead. We received an advance copy of Domnigue's follow up - The Chronicle of Secret Riven - and quickly dove right back in to this beautiful fantasy world.

While this story is the next in the series, it is clear right from the start that there are some drastic differences from its predecessor. First of all, this is
Kerri Blair
I was very disappointed in this book. It had such high ratings and while the story was interesting, it was nothing like the book jacket implied. I found the writing to be a bit tedious and Secret became annoying. I kept expecting it to get a little further in the story and it just never did. I'll probably read the next one because the overall concept was good but I will probably wait for the paperback as the $24 hardback was a little steep for a book I'm just not sure of.
Janet Vickers
I loved following the life of Secret Riven throughout the years. I was always anxious to continue reading to find out what life held for her in her future years. She was an awesome character with many talents, not the least of which was her ability to understand thoughts and feelings of plants and animals around her. Very strained relationship with her mother maybe contributed to her wild escapes into her fantasy land, (or was it)? Had several unanswered questions at the end of this story.
Some
Kimberly McBee
I think the premise of the story and the overall plot ends up working. I think my main issue was that at times the story jumps from scene to scene without necessarily fully developing the idea in one scene.
Falbs
"To see is a trick of the mind, but to believe is a trick of the heart", Nikolas said.
Secret stood next to him with nothing to say. The moment was perfectly beautiful as it was.
Bree Taylor
Excellent characters. Good story development, and definitely left me waiting for the sequel.
Kitty Tomlinson
Story of Multitalented Secret Riven, a child prodigy of languages. Good continuation of series.
guiltlessreader
Book 2 in the The Keeper of Tales Trilogy thoroughly entranced me, with its melding of fantastical elements, an old-world folkloric feel, and Domingue's beautiful lyrical writing. Read about Secret Riven and find out her destiny. I recommend this for those who love discovering new fantastical worlds, those who have (and haven't read The Mapmaker's War, as well as those looking for something totally different.Full review on my blog Guiltless Reading.
Carolyn
Completely riveting and gorgeously told!!
Sheri Horton
I savored every page of this magical tale. I was transported to a magical land of constant wonder. As a child, I was quite shy and introverted, spending much of my time with just myself for companionship. I was often to be found in a wonderful old mimosa tree with a book, or lost in my own imagination. This book transported me back in time to that sense of wonder and awe which we tend to lose as we grow up. It was so very nice to return there, and I am thankful to Ronlyn Domingue for the journey ...more
Tai Istre
This is my favorite book of hers this far! I found myself reading the story and feeling that obsessive desire to know what is going to happen next. I felt like I was reading a true story instead of a work of fiction which is incredibly difficult to accomplish given the fantasy elements of the character's abilities. I truly loved this novel. I plan to read it again.
Kristie Runnels
Great book! I cannot wait until the next one is available!
Tea & Strumpets
I loved this book so much.
L King
L King marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Katkas
Katkas marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Catherine Clark
Catherine Clark marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Giveaway on Guiltless Reading (US/Can) 1 2 May 25, 2014 02:32PM
  • Prospero Regained (Prospero's Daughter, #3)
  • Feast for Thieves: A Rowdy Slater Novel
  • Silent Impact: Stories of Influence Through Purpose, Persistence, & Passion
  • Remembering America Looking Back at the Last Innocent Age
  • Clean Cuisine: An 8-Week Anti-Inflammatory Diet that Will Change the Way You Age, Look & Feel
  • Something New
  • Saving Each Other: A Mother-Daughter Love Story
  • Beyond the Valley (Daughters of the Potomac, # 3)
  • Prescription for Life: Three Simple Strategies to Live Younger Longer
  • Hospice Voices: Lessons for Living at the End of Life
  • Elsewhens (Glass Thorns, #2)
  • What Is Your What: Discover the One Amazing Thing You Were Born to Do
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • The After House
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • Beauty: A Novel
  • An Unseemly Wife
  • Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your Children Feel Special Every Day
Ronlyn Domingue is the author of The Chronicle of Secret Riven and The Mapmaker's War, the first two books of the Keeper of Tales Trilogy. Her critically acclaimed debut novel, The Mercy of Thin Air, was published in ten languages. Her writing has appeared in The Beautiful Anthology (TNB Books), New England Review, Clackamas Literary Review, New Delta Review, The Independent (UK), Border Crossing, ...more
More about Ronlyn Domingue...

Keeper of Tales Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Mapmaker's War (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #1)
The Mercy of Thin Air The Mapmaker's War (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #1) The Beautiful Anthology Atria Book Club Bites: A Free Sampling of Ten Books Guaranteed to Feed Your Discussion Faerie Magazine #26