Start by marking “Catching Air” as Want to Read:
Catching Air

Catching Air

From the internationally bestselling author of four books, including The Opposite of Me, a vibrant, compulsively readable novel about two married couples who pursue a dream to open a bed-and-breakfast in small-town Vermont.

In her previous works including The Best of Us, "rising star" (Library Journal) Sarah Pekkanen captivated readers by penning "refreshingly introsp
Published May 6th 2014 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Catching Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Air

Risapopelka
May 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I usually love this author but this book was not my favorite. With the two main couples in the book, it was hard to keep them straight and also to keep their back stories straight. Not really a fan. Also the whole subplot with Dawn could have been explored more but basically it was exciting and then she was just hiding out helping cut vegetables...so it fell flat.
Heather Donovan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book started out well enough with the premise of two couples running a Bed & Breakfast together. The men, who are brothers, and their wives, leave their jobs to move to the ski hills of Vermont and take a shot at innkeeping.

Add to that a fifth person on the run from the law and you have the makings of a pretty good book, right?

Meh. Not so.

I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with this story, but I think there are too many elements thrown toget
Allison
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I always enjoy Sarah Pekkanen's books and this was no exception. Likeable characters and an interesting storyline. Not a life changer, but a good beach or pool read.
Aly Abell
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen is the story of three women who, for very different reasons, all find themselves working at a bed and breakfast in Vermont. Alyssa and her husband Rand purchase the B&B after receiving a settlement from Rand's accident. After experiencing disappointments in their own careers, Kira and her husband Peter accept an offer to work with Alyssa and Rand to help establish the business, in exchange for a share of the business. Dawn is running from an abusive relationshi ...more
BookLover
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sarah Pekkanen’s "Catching Air" was an emotionally satisfying read. Told in the third person, this story focused on three very different women brought together as each faced a pivotal point in their lives.

I really felt for Kira. She is one of those characters that, at first glance, seems to have it all. I loved her story and got quite emotional at the end. I was pleased with how her story resolved itself.

I found Alyssa’s story to be quite sad. Her love for Rand was apparent but I di
Margaret
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kira has been a hard-working attorney at a Florida law office for 6 years. When billable hours don't meet the firm's standards, Kira is reprimanded and put on notice. The dream of partnership seems unattainable. She is surprised when her husband, Peter, receives and accepts an invitation to go into partnership with his estranged brother, Rand, to operate a B & B on a ski slope in Vermont. It may be just what she needs to unwind.

Rand is the irresponsible, fun-loving brother of Peter. He and
Beth Gordon
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the author's prior novels, but this one was quite a head scratcher.

The large plot points don't make sense given the characters, and don't even get me started on the small plot points. And I'm not even someone who analyzes plots--most of the time I don't even care if there is a plot! But when it's really far-fetched and trying to bill itself as contemporary fiction, it's hard to get past it.

You're an OCD budding lawyer who's honest (the author makes this point at lea
Trevor
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
CATCHING AIR left me feeling disappointed as I found Pekkanen's BEST OF US halfway decent. Too much talk about food, weddings & babies!! Severely under-developed, flat characters that I couldn't connect to & didn't care about. I don't expect her novels to be life-changing, but this was so blah! The relationships between the women & their husbands as well as the brothers are meaningless; there's nothing to take away from here. And one of the MCs takes off to fix her daddy/lawyer issue ...more
Kathy
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, easy read by Sarah Pekkanen. I have become a fan of Sarah since Skipping a Beat which I loved. Catching Air is an enjoyable read with great characters and I really liked how they came together to work at the B & B and being there as their relationships developed. It’s one of those books that pulls you in and becomes hard to put down until you see how everything is going to turn out…..I probably would have given it five stars, but would have liked to see how it all came out a few mo ...more
Lisa Steinke
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Long after finishing this novel, I'm still thinking about these characters. This heart warming book is a must-read!
Anita
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just lovely. I didn't want it to end!! Full review to come, but just trust me. Pre- order!!

Laurel-Rain
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Peter and Rand Danner have had their problems over the years, most notably because of Rand’s often irresponsible behavior. Now that the brothers are married to their lovely wives, Kira and Alyssa, they are trying to get along.

But when Rand tells Peter and Kira that he and Alyssa have bought a B & B in Vermont, and want them to go in on it with them, they are stunned. And reluctant. They are used to their home in Florida, but then again, their jobs could use some improvements. ...more
Cheryl
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to say that this book is far better then The Best of Us, the last book from Sarah. Not that I did not like that book. I just felt more of a greater connection with Kira, Alyssa, and Dawn. Which I was a little surprised about. After the last book and the fact that I had my doubts about this book. I thought that the women were going to be needy and whiny. Luckily this was not the case. In fact, I liked the women more because I felt they had formed a good friendship bond and were strong each ...more
Sam
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley & Atria books for the ARC.

This is the first book by Sarah Pekkanen that I have read & having finished it pretty much in one sitting I will certainly be reading more. It was billed 'As deeply enjoyable page-turner' & I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The story focuses on two brothers and their wives who buy a B&B together in Killington, Vermont. The brothers have a rocky history & their wives couldn't be more different, throw into the
Samantha March
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I became a huge fan of Sarah Pekkanen right off the bat, and I’m so happy I loved her latest offering! Readers take note – don’t miss this one! This story is so complex with different characters and their issues, but Pekkanen writes with such an ease that I simply flowed along from page to page, feeling all the issues and emotions the characters do while being transported to their B&B in Vermont. From Dawn being on the run
Mary Martin
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and their interactions. This book had a little of everything.....love, laughter, suspense. I especially liked how the author worked in background information on each character without it seeming forced. I am hoping there is a sequel to this book, hint, hint. I want to know what happens to all the characters.
Katelyn
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fun story about two related couples who buy a B&B together and a woman on the run from trouble in her life. Both couples are trying to decide whether to have children or not. The characters are interesting and the plot kept me reading late at night. 3.5 stars.
Catherine McKenzie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Pekkanen's latest and raced through it. I thought she handle the complexities of the brother's and their relationships well, and the added element of suspense made this a real page turner.
Jessica Lawlor
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Pekkanen and all of her books so I knew I'd like this one. It didn't resonate with me as much as some of her other reads, but this was still a super enjoyable story to get engrossed in. I absolutely loved the setting, so that made this one a pleasure to read.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to the publisher, Atria Books, Washington Square Press and NetGalley for an ARC, in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

First and foremost, Sarah Pekkanen is one of my favorite authors, having read all her books (she has a clear understanding of the topics of women, especially the thirty-something crowd); whether single, married, or mothers. Her humor, in-depth research of subject matter, and insightfulness is reflective throughout her books, making her a f
Kayla Anderson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I ended up really liking this book. There's something about the way she writes that is just easy to read but enjoyable.
Tina
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sarah Pekkanen’s books are my guilty pleasure - I love her contemporary dynamic writing style, and the twists and weaves of the plot. Each next book seems to be a step above of the previous one. Except for the endings... Once again the twists and weaves are untangled too fast, almost abruptly - it’s as if the author got tired of writing (or the editor got tired of editing and said: “let’s just end it here”). Or, perhaps, it’s a clever set up for sequels? :-) Would be curious to see how the lives ...more
Jan Pelosi
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
I don't even remember how this book made it on my "To Read" list, and after having spent two days of my life that I can never get back, I really should figure that out.

I just couldn't keep the two couples straight. Was Rand with Alyssa or with Kira? Was Peter with Kira or Alyssa? There were too many back stories and odd little plot lines, but what really annoyed me was that Sara Pekkanen didn't wrap them up at the end of the book. It's like even she couldn't figure out and just quite writing. H
Erin
Jun 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I actually have enjoyed other books by this author so this one was a huge disappointment. It would appear that Ms. Pekkanen has recently reproduced and therefore decided that having a baby is the goal of every woman and the only way she'll ever achieve happiness. The book was far too much pushing a pro-natalist agenda. The entire plot made NO sense at all. Two brothers who don't get along and their wives move to VT to open a BnB? And one of the wives is an attorney!?

Pass on this book unless you
Jenny
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it would have a different ending but I liked the way everything wrapped up. I thought all the women were too "perfect" though.... and that the men were the ones everyone blamed. I also thought Peter bugging Kira about having babies was obnoxious and not something that should have been solved by her throwing her pills away.

P.S. The cover of this book is so weird! No covered bridges featured in this book and the figure could be Dawn, I guess, but she carries a purse around, n
Lisa B.
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0 -

My Thoughts

This was a very well written story. The author did a great job on developing the characters. Five adults, each struggling with past and current issues, end up together trying to run a B&B. The plot moved along nicely and held my interest. I thought the story was pretty realistic.

I’ve read one other book by Ms. Pekkanen that I also enjoyed. I find her writing to be well structured and quick paced. I look forward to reading more by this talented author.
Ann
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great story. Two brothers and their wives decide to purchase a Bed and breakfast in Vermont. They leave behind high powered careers and a multitude of problems. Once they open their in they book a wedding and hire a woman who has a mysterious pass and on the run. An unexpected pregnancy, a mysterious man on the hunt and the local police visiting don't help the wedding proceed smoothly. A marvelous group of characters, a fantastic setting and story line make this a good read.
Suzanne
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another winner by an amazing author. I'm really liking Sarah's writing, development of characters, plots, and story lines. I felt the end was a bit rushed with this, but I'm finding with all books I'd love to see the last chapter written six months down the line... I'd definitely suggest this and the other books I've read by Sarah Pekkanen (These Girls and The Best of Us). I'll be purchasing her earlier books soon!!!
Lesley
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebook
Not sure why I liked this novel so much. I have read better and more epic stories! This was about 5 main characters centered at a bed and breakfast maybe because this author is such a good storyteller.she makes everyday topics so compelling that it becomes a page Turner! Read this in one 3 hour sitting last night.
Jane
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a an easy, delightful read. It's all about relationships- husband-wife, brothers, in-laws, and parents. I enjoyed the setting of a Vermont bed and breakfast. There are questions at the end for book clubs so the questions made me think a little deeper about the book. Take it to the beach with you this summer!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2014.19: Catching Air & Great Deal 11 84 Aug 21, 2014 06:01PM

• The Never Never Sisters
  • Your Perfect Life
  • Breakwater Bay
  • The Accidental Book Club
  • Leaving Haven
  • On Grace
  • Put a Ring On It (Black Dog Bay, #3)
  • The Theory of Opposites
  • Under a Summer Sky
  • A Wedding in Provence
  • Safe with Me
  • Astor Place Vintage
Sarah Pekkanen is also the co-author of the New York Times bestseller THE WIFE BETWEEN US and the upcoming AN ANONYMOUS GIRL, both cowritten with Greer Hendricks.

AN ANONYMOUS GIRL has been optioned for a television series by eOne, with Sarah and Greer executive producing. THE WIFE BETWEEN US has been optioned for film by Amblin Entertainment, with Sarah and Greer screenwriting the adap
“She felt a lump form in her throat, and she swallowed hard. She wouldn't have this-the swollen ankles and pink cheeks and the feel of that glorious, curving belly under the palm of her hand-but she could still be a mother. That was the important thing.” 3 likes
“What sadist had invented the concept of skiing? Kira wondered. Who was the first person to decide it would be fun to rocket shakily down an icy mountain on two pieces of metal with wind attacking your face and snow spraying into your eyes and people whipping all around, waving spiky poles like gladiators closing in for a kill? She was shocked lawyers hadn't shut down the sport yet; the potential for catastrophe was rampant.” 3 likes