Start by marking “Catching Air” as Want to Read:
Catching Air

Catching Air

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,613 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
From the internationally bestselling author of four books, including The Opposite of Me, a vibrant, compulsively readable novel about two married couples who pursue a dream to open a bed-and-breakfast in small-town Vermont.

In her previous works including The Best of Us, "rising star" (Library Journal) Sarah Pekkanen captivated readers by penning "refreshingly introspective
Published May 6th 2014 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Catching Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Air

Cheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoSam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleySoul to Take by Helen  BatemanOne Plus One by Jojo MoyesThe Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand
Chick Lit 2014
32nd out of 146 books — 170 voters
The Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionYes Please by Amy PoehlerThe Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob ThomasGone Girl by Gillian FlynnHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
A Novel Idea Book Club 2015 Selections
13th out of 20 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

BookLover
Sarah Pekkanen’s "Catching Air" was an emotionally satisfying read. Told in the third person, this story focused on three very different women brought together as each faced a pivotal point in their lives.

I really felt for Kira. She is one of those characters that, at first glance, seems to have it all. I loved her story and got quite emotional at the end. I was pleased with how her story resolved itself.

I found Alyssa’s story to be quite sad. Her love for Rand was apparent but I didn’t really
Risapopelka
May 14, 2014 Risapopelka rated it it was ok
I usually love this author but this book was not my favorite. With the two main couples in the book, it was hard to keep them straight and also to keep their back stories straight. Not really a fan. Also the whole subplot with Dawn could have been explored more but basically it was exciting and then she was just hiding out helping cut vegetables...so it fell flat.
Allison
May 26, 2014 Allison rated it liked it
I always enjoy Sarah Pekkanen's books and this was no exception. Likeable characters and an interesting storyline. Not a life changer, but a good beach or pool read.
Heather Donovan
Jun 24, 2014 Heather Donovan rated it it was ok
This book started out well enough with the premise of two couples running a Bed & Breakfast together. The men, who are brothers, and their wives, leave their jobs to move to the ski hills of Vermont and take a shot at innkeeping.

Add to that a fifth person on the run from the law and you have the makings of a pretty good book, right?

Meh. Not so.

I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with this story, but I think there are too many elements thrown together so not one theme is clearly defi
Aly Abell
Mar 02, 2014 Aly Abell rated it it was amazing
Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen is the story of three women who, for very different reasons, all find themselves working at a bed and breakfast in Vermont. Alyssa and her husband Rand purchase the B&B after receiving a settlement from Rand's accident. After experiencing disappointments in their own careers, Kira and her husband Peter accept an offer to work with Alyssa and Rand to help establish the business, in exchange for a share of the business. Dawn is running from an abusive relationshi ...more
Lisa Steinke
Apr 02, 2014 Lisa Steinke rated it it was amazing
Long after finishing this novel, I'm still thinking about these characters. This heart warming book is a must-read!
Kathy
Oct 22, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, easy read by Sarah Pekkanen. I have become a fan of Sarah since Skipping a Beat which I loved. Catching Air is an enjoyable read with great characters and I really liked how they came together to work at the B & B and being there as their relationships developed. It’s one of those books that pulls you in and becomes hard to put down until you see how everything is going to turn out…..I probably would have given it five stars, but would have liked to see how it all came out a few mo ...more
Anita
Dec 22, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it
Just lovely. I didn't want it to end!! Full review to come, but just trust me. Pre- order!!

Laurel-Rain
Oct 16, 2015 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it
Peter and Rand Danner have had their problems over the years, most notably because of Rand’s often irresponsible behavior. Now that the brothers are married to their lovely wives, Kira and Alyssa, they are trying to get along.

But when Rand tells Peter and Kira that he and Alyssa have bought a B & B in Vermont, and want them to go in on it with them, they are stunned. And reluctant. They are used to their home in Florida, but then again, their jobs could use some improvements.

Kira is unhappy
Beth Gordon
Jul 24, 2014 Beth Gordon rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the author's prior novels, but this one was quite a head scratcher.

The large plot points don't make sense given the characters, and don't even get me started on the small plot points. And I'm not even someone who analyzes plots--most of the time I don't even care if there is a plot! But when it's really far-fetched and trying to bill itself as contemporary fiction, it's hard to get past it.

You're an OCD budding lawyer who's honest (the author makes this point at least 10 times)
Margaret
Jun 22, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok
Kira has been a hard-working attorney at a Florida law office for 6 years. When billable hours don't meet the firm's standards, Kira is reprimanded and put on notice. The dream of partnership seems unattainable. She is surprised when her husband, Peter, receives and accepts an invitation to go into partnership with his estranged brother, Rand, to operate a B & B on a ski slope in Vermont. It may be just what she needs to unwind.

Rand is the irresponsible, fun-loving brother of Peter. He and
Cheryl
May 03, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I have to say that this book is far better then The Best of Us, the last book from Sarah. Not that I did not like that book. I just felt more of a greater connection with Kira, Alyssa, and Dawn. Which I was a little surprised about. After the last book and the fact that I had my doubts about this book. I thought that the women were going to be needy and whiny. Luckily this was not the case. In fact, I liked the women more because I felt they had formed a good friendship bond and were strong each ...more
Catherine McKenzie
Jun 28, 2014 Catherine McKenzie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Pekkanen's latest and raced through it. I thought she handle the complexities of the brother's and their relationships well, and the added element of suspense made this a real page turner.
Samantha Janning
May 08, 2014 Samantha Janning rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I became a huge fan of Sarah Pekkanen right off the bat, and I’m so happy I loved her latest offering! Readers take note – don’t miss this one! This story is so complex with different characters and their issues, but Pekkanen writes with such an ease that I simply flowed along from page to page, feeling all the issues and emotions the characters do while being transported to their B&B in Vermont. From Dawn being on the run to Al
Sam
Apr 15, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley & Atria books for the ARC.

This is the first book by Sarah Pekkanen that I have read & having finished it pretty much in one sitting I will certainly be reading more. It was billed 'As deeply enjoyable page-turner' & I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The story focuses on two brothers and their wives who buy a B&B together in Killington, Vermont. The brothers have a rocky history & their wives couldn't be more different, throw into the mix a young
Christa
Feb 04, 2015 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I just discovered Sarah Pekkanen a couple weeks ago, and I think I've almost gone through everything she's written. This one, I think, was my favorite so far.

It was just an easy, pleasant read. The characters were interesting and it just had a nice pace--I wouldn't call it a page-turner, exactly, but it was an enjoyable ride just hanging around for everything.

Sure, some of it was tied together a little too neatly, but the book had a lot of heart, and it definitely beats some of the trying-too-ha
Mary Martin
Mar 03, 2014 Mary Martin rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and their interactions. This book had a little of everything.....love, laughter, suspense. I especially liked how the author worked in background information on each character without it seeming forced. I am hoping there is a sequel to this book, hint, hint. I want to know what happens to all the characters.
Jessica Lawlor
Jan 12, 2015 Jessica Lawlor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I'm a huge fan of Sarah Pekkanen and all of her books so I knew I'd like this one. It didn't resonate with me as much as some of her other reads, but this was still a super enjoyable story to get engrossed in. I absolutely loved the setting, so that made this one a pleasure to read.
Katelyn
Dec 30, 2013 Katelyn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fun story about two related couples who buy a B&B together and a woman on the run from trouble in her life. Both couples are trying to decide whether to have children or not. The characters are interesting and the plot kept me reading late at night. 3.5 stars.
Jan Pelosi
May 30, 2015 Jan Pelosi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
I don't even remember how this book made it on my "To Read" list, and after having spent two days of my life that I can never get back, I really should figure that out.

I just couldn't keep the two couples straight. Was Rand with Alyssa or with Kira? Was Peter with Kira or Alyssa? There were too many back stories and odd little plot lines, but what really annoyed me was that Sara Pekkanen didn't wrap them up at the end of the book. It's like even she couldn't figure out and just quite writing. H
Jencey/
May 27, 2014 Jencey/ rated it really liked it
Thank you to Atria Books and Netgalley for sending me a copy of Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen. Now what is Catching Air? It is defined as something that happens during a snow boarding run.
Synopsis:
Alyssa and Rand are excited to be opening a Bed and Breakfast in Killington Vermont. It is the first time they will put down roots and they have invited Rand’s brother Peter and his wife Kira to assist. The family has had a checkered past but can they come together to run a business? Life starts to co
Judy Collins
A special thank you to the publisher, Atria Books, Washington Square Press and NetGalley for an ARC, in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

First and foremost, Sarah Pekkanen is one of my favorite authors, having read all her books (she has a clear understanding of the topics of women, especially the thirty-something crowd); whether single, married, or mothers. Her humor, in-depth research of subject matter, and insightfulness is reflective throughout her books, making her a fan of women,
Lisa B.
May 15, 2014 Lisa B. rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0 -

My Thoughts

This was a very well written story. The author did a great job on developing the characters. Five adults, each struggling with past and current issues, end up together trying to run a B&B. The plot moved along nicely and held my interest. I thought the story was pretty realistic.

I’ve read one other book by Ms. Pekkanen that I also enjoyed. I find her writing to be well structured and quick paced. I look forward to reading more by this talented author.

Thanks to Atria, vi
Laura Widhalm
Mar 02, 2015 Laura Widhalm rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel! I really would like to read a sequel of this book. It would be fun to hear how the characters juggled their new children and ran the B&B.
Ann
Feb 02, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
What a great story. Two brothers and their wives decide to purchase a Bed and breakfast in Vermont. They leave behind high powered careers and a multitude of problems. Once they open their in they book a wedding and hire a woman who has a mysterious pass and on the run. An unexpected pregnancy, a mysterious man on the hunt and the local police visiting don't help the wedding proceed smoothly. A marvelous group of characters, a fantastic setting and story line make this a good read.
Erin
Jan 22, 2015 Erin rated it did not like it
I actually have enjoyed other books by this author so this one was a huge disappointment. It would appear that Ms. Pekkanen has recently reproduced and therefore decided that having a baby is the goal of every woman and the only way she'll ever achieve happiness. The book was far too much pushing a pro-natalist agenda. The entire plot made NO sense at all. Two brothers who don't get along and their wives move to VT to open a BnB? And one of the wives is an attorney!?

Pass on this book unless you
Kylie
Apr 02, 2016 Kylie rated it really liked it
Kira is married to Peter. They are a very sensible couple. They both work very hard and are travelling that expected route of marriage, career and eventually children. Peter's brother, Rand is also married, to Alyssa. They are the opposite - they never settle anywhere for long, picking up and taking off on new adventures whenever the urge takes them. The brothers are not close - their relationship took a hammering when Peter nursed their mother till her death, and Rand stayed far away, and they ...more
Stephanie A.
Jan 25, 2016 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it
How often do you read about two brothers and their wives starting/running a B&B? If you're like me, not often, although I am probably the only person who read the character descriptions and went "NUMB3RS AU, RIGHT?" (fact: it works surprisingly well for the brothers, though not so much for the women, whom I had to allow to stand as their own characters. But since the story is framed through the women's viewpoints alone, and they all have such endearing personalities and compelling background ...more
Marci Antoniuk
Aug 08, 2015 Marci Antoniuk rated it really liked it
I quickly grabbed this book off the "summer reads" shelf of the library when I was there with the kids. And surprisingly, I fully enjoyed it. So here's the thing. Frequently authors seem to take ideas much further than they would go in regular lives, which is good and where imaginative expansion comes in. But sometimes this leads to using the lowest common denominator in terms of morality; two brothers and their spouses live in the same house, and people end up falling for their sibling's spouse ...more
Katie
Apr 27, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
This was a fairly entertaining, borderline-chick-lit novel about 2 couples running a B&B together in Vermont. Alyssa and Rand come into some money and decide on a lark to run a B&B in Vermont for a year, and invite Rand's brother Peter and his wife Kira to join them. Peter and Kira are not having much success in their careers as a lawyer (Kira) and software technologist (Peter) in Florida, so they go for it, despite Kira's control-freakish nature.

Peter is pressuring Kira to have a baby,
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2014.19: Catching Air & Great Deal 11 84 Aug 21, 2014 06:01PM
  • Your Perfect Life
  • Breakwater Bay
  • The Never Never Sisters
  • Leaving Haven: A Novel
  • It Comes in Waves
  • Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1)
  • On Grace
  • The Accidental Book Club
  • The Theory of Opposites
  • Safe with Me
  • The Other Half
  • The House on Mermaid Point (Ten Beach Road, #3)
  • The Glass Kitchen: A Novel of Sisters
  • Why Can't I Be You
  • Driving Lessons: A Novel
  • The Right Thing
  • The Stories We Tell
  • You Were Meant for Me
2982045
"Fans of Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin will strongly appreciate this rising star in women's fiction." - Library Journal.
Internationally bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen's newest book is THE PERFECT NEIGHBORS. She is also the author of THINGS YOU WON'T SAY, CATCHING AIR, THE BEST OF US, THE OPPOSITE OF ME, SKIPPING A BEAT, and THESE GIRLS. Sarah's linked free short estories, published by Simon&
More about Sarah Pekkanen...

“What sadist had invented the concept of skiing? Kira wondered. Who was the first person to decide it would be fun to rocket shakily down an icy mountain on two pieces of metal with wind attacking your face and snow spraying into your eyes and people whipping all around, waving spiky poles like gladiators closing in for a kill? She was shocked lawyers hadn't shut down the sport yet; the potential for catastrophe was rampant.” 3 likes
“She felt a lump form in her throat, and she swallowed hard. She wouldn't have this-the swollen ankles and pink cheeks and the feel of that glorious, curving belly under the palm of her hand-but she could still be a mother. That was the important thing.” 2 likes