Start by marking “The Heretic (Raj Whitehall, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Heretic (Raj Whitehall, #9)

The Heretic (The General #9)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  338 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
David Drake’s legendary Raj Whitehall/The General series, returns! In a world of muskets, bows and arrows, and reptile-riding nomads, a young warrior fights against an all-controlling computer devoted to stasis.

ABEL DASHIAN'S WORLD DOESN'T NEED A HERO
Published March 25th 2014 by Baen (first published March 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heretic

Kelly
Shortly after the death of his mother, six year-old Abel Dashian wanders into a locked storage shed. He has a fair idea what he’ll find in there: nishterlaub. Forbidden articles of old and broken technology packed away behind lock and key. Abel is a precocious young lad; he turns the key, ducks into the room and begins exploring. The priests know it’s there, right? They collected it and put it away. So long as he doesn’t actually try to use any of it (lock aside), he won’t be acting against Stas ...more
Stutley Constable
Dec 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had so much hope and good feeling towards this book when I found out about it and so much utter disappointment when I read it. If you are a fan of the Raj Whitehall series, please do not buy this book. It does not belong with the others. This is mostly because it was not well written. In fact, I was left wondering if Tony Daniel had read all of the existing stories or not. I also had to wonder if he had read any of them more than once. Additionally, I wondered if Tony Daniel had even taken a c ...more
Neil
As stated on its cover, this book continues 'The General' series started by David Drake and S.M. Stirling. It is a worthy addition to the series - it has the added twist of Raj and Center facing off with a lower-generation computer controlling a planet. I think this twist will open up other alternatives that the previous books did not have.

The book starts out with Raj and Center introducing themselves to a six-year old who still mourns his mother's death. Believing the voices in his head intend
M.E. Brines
Liked the book. I'm a big fan of Drake but this wasn't Drake. The story was short, the characters lacked depth and the plot was a straight line with few complications. The villain was just a bad guy, no personality. It did follow the series but I think it could have used more development. The final section seemed rushed as if he had to get to the end under a certain word count. Worthwhile, but Daniel is not Drake. Not yet anyway. Keep trying!
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

David Drake’s legendary Raj Whitehall/The General series, stunningly reborn! In a world of muskets, bows and arrows, and reptile riding nomads, a young warrior fights against a totalitarian computer devoted to stasis.

ABEL DASHIAN'S WORLD DOESN'T NEED A HERO

Duisberg is one of thousands of planets plunged into darkness and chaos by the collapse of the galactic republic, but where other worlds have begun to rebuild a star-travelling culture, Duisberg remains in an uneasy balance between mud-bric

Rena McGee
The Heretic is the latest in the long-running General series by David Drake and one of several writers. (The original series was co-written with S.M. Stirling. The first book in the latter series was co-written with Stirling, but Drake has switched co-writers since them.) I do not recommend the original series unless you are completely acclimated to Stirling’s early work, which was heavy on the “I have to show you how grotty and violent the world is with graphic eroticized sexual violence.”)

The
Andreas
continuation of The General Series, this book takes place on the world of Duisberg, a fallen human colony reduced to pre-industrial times. Due to an extremely dry climate, civilization is concentrated around a single river, much like it is by the Nile in Egypt. Outside The Valley, nomadic barbarians roam the badlands. In an interesting twist, a malfunctioning planetary management computer is attempting to keep things in stasis, eking out survival for humanity, if not progress and success. As in ...more
Sharon Michael
Might give this another half star if that was an option but it is not nearly up to the standards of the first books in the Raj Whitehall series. I have read all of the books so far in the series, which is the reason I got this one. While it is a decent addition to the series, it does fall short of most of the others for me, probably about on a level with "The Chosen".

Decent plot line and good characters for the most part but the Center/Raj entity just did not have the 'personality' I've come to
Peter Brickwood
Drake seems to be training a co-writer to take over his excellent "General" series. This book is engaging and it remains to be seen if the co-author Tony Daniel will be able to produce the same kind of enjoyable military science fiction that Drake has produced for decades.

The premise is that a supercomputer which survived an apocalypse and then gets into suitable young men's minds to train them to be superb military commanders. It works. This is an enjoyable read.

David Drake is Vietnam veteran.
Jesse Mcconnell
I'm a huge fan of the series, and this one was good, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. But, I enjoyed it mainly because it was part of the larger series/universe.

I could nitpick it, but the summary is that the book doesn't pop out at me like the others did. Raj and Center are a bit on the "flat" side of things -- I keep expecting their characters to chime in at points where they don't and their contributions are minimal beyond moving the story forward. They have odd places where Center gives visions
  • Hope Reborn (The General, #1-2)
  • The Rising Storm (Exodus: Empires at War, #3)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Trial by Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #2)
  • Not One Step Back (Battlecruiser Alamo, #5)
  • When Diplomacy Fails
  • When The Bough Breaks (The Empire's Corps, #3)
  • The Crucible of Empire (Jao, #2)
  • Welcome Home / Go Away (Kris Longknife, #9.5)
Tony Daniel is an author of science fiction novels, short stories, and radio dramas.

For the comic book author, see Tony S. Daniel.
More about Tony Daniel...

The General (10 books)
  • The Forge (The General, #1)
  • The Hammer (The General, #2)
  • The Anvil (The General, #3)
  • The Steel (The General, #4)
  • The Sword (The General, #5)
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
  • The Reformer (The General, #7)
  • The Tyrant (The General, #8)
  • The Savior (The General, #10)