Start by marking “Leadership Strategies of Geronimo: Lessons from an American Warrior” as Want to Read:
Leadership Strategies of Geronimo: Lessons from an American Warrior

Leadership Strategies of Geronimo: Lessons from an American Warrior

A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published April 22nd 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Leadership Strategies of Geronimo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership Strategies of Geronimo

Start your review of Leadership Strategies of Geronimo: Lessons from an American Warrior
Paul Pessolano
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Geronimo” by Mike Leach and Bud Levy, published by Gallery Books.

Category – History/Motivational - Publication Date – May 06, 2014

The first thing one must understand is that Mike Leach is a legendary college football coach and that he uses stories, like “Geronimo” as inspiration and motivation.

The reader will find that not only does he get an exceptional history of Geronimo but a motivational tool that can be used in business or some other undertaking.

The book gives a historical account of
Marcole
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
The story, when it stays focused on Geronimo, is well-written and interesting, but I should have read the tagline more closely when I downloaded the book, "Geronimo: Leadership Strategies of an American Warrior". The author interrupts his own narrative to insert various 'principles' that he has gleaned from Geronimo's life. They range from obvious to inane. "Be Physically Better Than Others." "Be Instinctive and Smart as a Leader." "Have Superior Skills!" Thanks Napoleon Dynamite...

The author
Jon Nakapalau
In depth look at Geronimo and the strategies he used to lead his people. Tactical concepts are also touched on, making this a well researched look at a unique warrior.
Frederick Frankel
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A look at Geronimo from the viewpoint of a football coach. Or better, from the viewpoint of a leadership guru who wants to show you a role model so you can get your takeaways on how its done. I picked it up at the local library.

With a book like this, I'm always wary about the writer. Is he going to romanticize his subject, on the lines of the "noble savage?" The Apaches were not the people you would run into if you stumbled onto the Garden of Eden. They liked to swoop down on ranchers and
Tamara! aka AmyG.Dala
My feelings are similar to the review "Marcole" left. I liken this book to some sort of written concept of a week-long PowerPoint presentation. So, while I did glean some useful insight, and enjoyed the Geronimo research, to have all these sport interpretations really wasn't my style. I do appreciate how M. Leach uses actual strategy based on Indian warfare, nice change of pace from the 'kill'em all and let God sort'em out' mindset. To think first and weigh options is something I think basically ...more
Justin Reeder
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A layman's history on the lessons one can learn from the Apache shaman's life. Mike Leach, the enigmatic college football coach, gives a very readable story on one of the most infamous Indians ever. Recommend to anybody who wants a general understanding of Geronimo but those who have a solid understanding of Geronimo will be wanting for more.
Matt
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, 2017
3.5. I got this book because I enjoyed Mike Leach's other book Swing Your Sword. He does a nice job telling the story of the last American Indian to be subdued. Mike is my favorite football coach and a fascinating individual.
J Bradley
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read it because I enjoy 19th century American history AND I'm a college football fan. It's an excellent take on Geronimo, Apache culture, and U.S. government-Indian relationships. If you follow college football and coach Mike Leach the book will be that much better knowing who wrote it.
Ken St john
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent look at a hero of a vanishing people. I’ve always been sympathetic to Native Americans and Gerinomo’s story shows why. Most of us know and respect Mike Leach as our football coach at WSU but there a lot more to him than meets the eyes. He’s also a great story teller.
Spenser
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the stories of endurance and perseverance from one of the most interesting characters of the American west.
Roger Piasecki
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book, I’m going to read more on his life.
Joe
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insight from a great teacher, coach amd historian. The Chiricahua Apache tribe is an amazing group of people.
Eric Feller
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid, not great book. However, it gives a pretty good background into the story of Geronimo and his life.
Tommy George
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book describing the life and death of Geronimo. It highlights him as a leader and depicts him as an almost unbelievable figure, until the end. It describes the culture of his tribe in a fair amount of detail with great references in the back of the book. I would definitely recommend this book if you love history and would like to learn more about this person and his tribe.
David Eppenstein
After reading excellent biographies of Cochise and then Red Cloud several months ago I hoped this book would be a great addition to my growing knowledge of Native Americans. I was greatly disappointed. While there was clearly some extensive research involved in producing this book it is a shame that research wasn't placed in the hands of somebody, a historian, that knew how to write. This book reads like a term paper by a college sophmore. Worse, it includes "commentaries" and "lessons" that are ...more
Roger Briggs
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and personal account of Geronimo's struggle for his people and way of life in the face of insurmountable forces of oppression and "progress". Mike Leach has resurrected Geronimo in this account respectfully and honorably. It is difficult to consider the brutality of that time among settlers and the Apaches but even more difficult to consider the broken promises of our government in achieving peace with the Apaches and other Indian Nations, now but a faint glimmer in our ...more
Nathan Beck
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a goodreads first reads review:

I truly enjoyed this book. Short enough to not be intimidating, yet thorough enough to cover the big events in Geronimo's life and still point out great lesions that anyone can learn from.

I work at a Texas history museum and know a lot about the Comanche way of life, but little of the Apache. It was great to get an insight in the last free Native Americans in the US.

Thanks for sending me this book. Well worth the time to learn a bit of history with tips
Paulo Adalberto Reimann
I had the opportunity to read BL's other books. I could say I am already waiting for the next one. Great book for two reasons. 1) I would read whatever Buddy Levy writes, elegant, exciting, involving. 2) Geronimo's life as all natives in North and South America , is amazing and worth the read. Buddy writes about leadership without the politically correct all the same all the same old story, romantic. No, no complascency over the fact. To the point, no slef help flavour. Native style as it should ...more
Ph. D.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Concise, well-written account of the incredible bravery and determination of one of the greatest guerrilla fighters in all history as he fights for the Apache way of life against insurmountable odds -- while learning the hard way that the whites could never be trusted. Leach pauses at the end of each chapter to extrapolate lessons relevant to all leaders; maybe these are a little forced, but you can skip them if you find them trite. This book is informative, entertaining, and moving.
Michelle Carlson
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, I didn't think I was going to get much out of this. Being the nerd that I am, I knew when I saw this I had to read it. I loved how the writer managed to capture the honor behind Geronimo's decisions. Not many writing show Native American's of that time in an honorable light.

Although I do think the leadership "lessons" were emphasised more than necessary, this book left me submerging myself into volumes of books about the treatment of Native Americans both then and now.
Terrance
This was an interesting read. I like historical books and leadership books. While this is not a bad historical read, I don't really think the interesting sidebars are really leadership skills. Leach also tends to be conversational, and not in a good way. I think that some of the relationships between leadership skill and Geronimo's accomplishments were hard pressed at best.
Stephen
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I thought it was a fun read with some pretty interesting stories. Geronimo was an fascinating character, and depending who's perspective you take, can be a villain or a hero. Anyway, he was a pretty remarkable guy and the book is worth a read.
Matt Littlechild
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book has peaked my interest in the topic of Native American history, but overall I thought the book was poorly written. It jumped all over the place and the commentary and lessons were a waste of time to read.
Lisa
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I learned quite a bit about the Apache culture and some surprising facts about Geronimo. Being an Arizona native, I'm peeved more Native American History wasn't included in our education. I didn't see much value in the "leadership tips" provided, but the book was a fun, quick read.
Anna Anthony
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for all who are in leadership positions and show interest in Native American history. His story is amazing and heartbreaking. A brilliant man and leader.
Desiree
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, basic history of Geronimo - enough to spark my interest to read more about him. However, I felt the leadership lessons were a little forced.
Jim Serger
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book by coach.
Acquire battle scars, live your dreams or try, never give up--if you lead and act with honor and nobility, you should not fear the opinions of others.
Eric Fomley
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on an iconic American warrior. Worth a read if you like books on legacy and leadership.
Matt
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
Good narrative of Geronimo's life. The lessons and recaps at the end of each chapter seemed unnecessary and forced. Ignoring that, a solid read. Go Cougs!
Aurora
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

I won this at Goodreads Firstreads program

• On Bullshit
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1)
  • The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
  • The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football
  • The Third Revolution: Xi Jinping and the New Chinese State
  • Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
  • Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign
  • Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way: A Novel (Way of the Warrior Kid, #1)
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Finding Sisu: In Search of Courage, Strength, and Happiness the Finnish Way
  • The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • Custer at Gettysburg: A New Look at George Armstrong Custer Versus Jeb Stuart in the Battle's Climactic Cavalry Charges
  • Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest & Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
  • Straight to Hell: True Tales of Deviance, Debauchery, and Billion-Dollar Deals
  • The Anti-capitalistic Mentality