Start by marking “Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)” as Want to Read:
Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)

Moving Target (Ali Reynolds #9)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  3,002 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
In this high-stakes thriller from New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance, Ali Reynolds spans continents to solve a cold case murder and to figure out who wants a young juvenile offender dead.

Lance Tucker, an incarcerated juvenile offender and talented hacker in his own right, is set on fire one night and severely burned while hanging Christmas decorations in a lockup
Published February 18th 2014 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Moving Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Target

Becky
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

it's always sad for me when I finish a J A Jance book, I read them so fast because they are always good. This one doesn't disappoint. I've been a follower of her levels for years, this is one in the Ali Reynolds series, very likeable characters always with lots of money to be able to do the cool detecting that she does.
I eagerly await her next novel. I hope it's Beaumont!

I was also fortunate enough to meet J A Jance at a book signing, she lives in the Seattle area as do I. she's a very
Sally Ember
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Dragged in many places and just not that interesting, but had one or two good twists. Not really worth your time unless you're a fan of the series or high-tech security plots.
Taicarmel
Jance, J.A. , Moving Target, (2014). Simon & Schuster, N.Y.

Welcome to the world of the super- rich where middle-aged women fly first-class to London for a week to buy a wedding dress, taking their senior employee as a treat. The groom owns a multinational cyber security company, while the senior's nephew lives in Knightsbridge with his partner who owns a chain of restaurants. Add in a taser-toting nun and an a SEAL trained priest and there is certainly plenty of room for action.
"Moving Targ
Ed
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
#9 in the Ali Reynolds series. Ali travels to England with her property manager Leland Brooks, she buys a wedding dress and uncovers the murderer of Leland's father 60 years earlier. On the home front, Ali and fiancée B work to discover who wants to murder brilliant hacker Lance Tucker. Tucker had hacked his school system computer, a client of B's and he had traced the hacker. The prison sentence for what was essentially a prank seems excessive.

Ali (Alison) Reynolds series -The former newscaster
Cathy
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read some of the other reviews before I wrote this. I enjoyed this book. I do like the Joanna Brady series more, but have not seen one for awhile. This book was still a fast read for me-so I guess I liked it a lot!

It is funny to see how some people loved it and others just hated it and said Ms. Jance's writing had changed. I thought it had a lot going on, so it is always good to keep your mind trying to figure out all the story lines and what is going on.

I am happy when I have a good book to s
Sharneel
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some interesting premises make this book tolerable. However, I have never read anything that so obviously has no clue about rights and protection of young people. I mean, they go to a school and have free reign to talk to students. In what cavalier, parallel universe does this occur? Also, after family members have been abducted, etc. other members are left unguarded or unmonitored. These oversights make this entire novel hard to accept except as a potential storyline with gaping holes of inadeq ...more
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is my 3rd book I've read by Mrs. Jance. There will not be a fourth. I read one novel of hers, Left for Dead, which was very predictable. I figured out the murderer on page 90. I read a second book of hers, cant recall the name, which was just awful and unreadable. I put that one down after about 75 pages. I decided I'd give Ms. Jance one more chance and picked up `Moving Target.' I did finish it, just out of curiosity to see how much worse it could be. I'll break down my critique into sever ...more
Debbie Maskus
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is the first book by J A Jance that I have read, and I enjoyed the novel. I strongly disliked the use of an initial instead of a name. This feature will probably prevent me from reading more of the long list of J A Jance novels. I always enjoy a novel that has one than one plot, which this book contains. This is an advance and unedited copy, and the book contains many errors. I felt the characterization of Ali Reynolds to be a little weak. In the beginning, I felt that Ali was a young woman ...more
judy
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Jance has been writing good mystery series' forever and I've been reading them for that long. Ali is rather a newbie (next to Brady and Beaumont)so I have not been as attached. I thought,however, Jance outdid herself on this one--making it the equal of any of the books in her older series. First, she managed to run two mysteries at once--gracefully (so many good authors fail at this). Second, she moves with the times. This book might be called a techno-thriller. How refreshing to have a heroine ...more
Bob
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this Ali Reynold's tale the are two concurrent themes going on, in one B. Simpson, Ali’s fiancé is drawn into the case of a high school boy who is finishing a term in Juvenile detention for hacking the school board’s server and is severely burned and injured while decorating the units Christmas tree and Ali and her “major domo” Leland are finally headed off to England to meet Leland’s relatives after a 60 year absence. Both threads become entangled and in B. case there are several murders, wh ...more
Jan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the latest in a series that shaping up to be very good. I've always been a J A Jance fan and one of the things I've always loved most about her books is her ability to allow her characters to grow, develop, and age over time. The plot of this particular book was very engaging, and the pacing was good. Jance has introduced some larger than life resources that allow her principal characters to do things we all wish we could manage ---and at remarkable speed. Sometimes this is a turnoff for ...more
Eldon
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have read a lot of J.A. Jance but not so much recently. This book reminded me of why. Too many times something happens and then she needs to make sure we understand what happened by explaining it a couple of times. Seems like just a way to fill up pages. I find it takes away from the kind of tension I want to see building in a mystery novel. Or maybe I am just less interested since she stopped wrting exclusively about Seattle.
TeriC
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another really good book in the Ali Reynolds series. Jance's books are always so interesting.
DelAnne Frazee
Publisher: Touchstone
Published: 3-1-2014
Pages: 496
Genre: Mystery, Thrillers & Suspense
Sub-Genre: Action & Adventure; International Mystery & Crime; Police Procedurals
ISBN: 9781476745008
ASIN: B00DPM7TW2
Reviewed For NetGalley and Touchstone
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.75 Stars

In this “engrossing” (Publishers Weekly) thriller from New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance, journalist- turned-investigator Ali Reynolds unea
Chris
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fiction
Lance Tucker, an incarcerated juvenile offender doing time for hacking into his school district's computer system, is set on fire and severely burned. The Police say he did it himself, but B. Simpson, Ali Reynold's fiancé and the man who helped put Lance in jail, doesn't think so. He is prepared to help Lance and get to the bottom of what happened.
Lance is famous in the hacker world for developing GHOST, a computer software that allows users to surf any part of the web undetected. That technolo
Georgene
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A nice addition to Jance's Ali Reynolds series, this book takes Ali and Leland Brooks to England to see some of Leland's family, whom he has not seen in 60 years. While there, Ali and Leland become involved in the 60 year old mystery of the death of Leland's father.

Meanwhile, in Texas, High Noon Enterprises gets involved in the attempted murder of a high school age hacker that High Noon was involved with sending the kid to prison.

At one point, both cases are meshed together.

An interesting rea
Nancy
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is an excellent story, and if the book did not have a few too many editing errors, I would have given it five stars.

As it is, a country was mentioned only twice in the book, with a different name the second time. Information A was asked to give to person B, was instead told by B to A. That happened several times. It drove me crazy. Plus the argument for why certain events occurred was sometimes a big thin.

Overall though, the book tells a great story, and I did enjoy it.
Lorraine
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally loved it!

Ali Reynolds is one of my favorite characters, and Jance crafts an interesting and suspenseful story around her again.

If you've been reading Jance's books for a while, you'll know that she is very detail-oriented when it comes to her characters. In each subsequent novel she writes, they age just a little bit more. It makes you feel like the characters are actually your friends.

I highly recommend reading all of Jance's books. She never disappoints!
Darlene Wilson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lance Tucker, juvenile offender - is set on fire & severely burned - in jail. Police think it's self inflicted! He loses a leg! B. Simpson - Ali Reynold's fiance - helped put him in jail - feels he should get to the bottom of it all. Ali, in England- investigates the murder of Leland Brooks' father - decades ago. Again Ali's in the path of a ruthless killer - -
Carolyn
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
As much as I love Sedona, I especially liked the setting of this book in England and Texas. As always, the complex overlap of personal life and professional service to those in need was captivating. And getting background on regular characters is always interesting. Really liked this one!
Louisewab
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My husband and I listened to the audio version of this book, which was well done. It's a good story - a couple mysteries going on at once, good characterizations. The plot line depends on all the latest computer technology, which was fun.
Kathy Spencer
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
excellant
Steevigh
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first book by JA Jance and I thought it was pretty good. I would read her again.
Karen Murphy
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very exciting J.A. Jance book, one that I'd prefer to give 4.5 stars to!
Teri Pre
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aug2017
Finally! A 4 star!
beth
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bullseye!

Ali Reynolds is weeks away from getting married. Can she survive long enough from the dustup in England to make it to the altar?
Diane Large
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of J. A. Jance and liked the duo plot in this mystery. A 60 year old family dispute and control of a computer program. Of course, I love Sister Anselm and her spunk.
Pr Latta
The focus on quickly outdated (and somewhat stilted descriptions) technology limits the intrigue.
Patti
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of her best. My first Ali Reynolds mystery. I'll be reading more.
Jacquelin Siegel
I generally like the Ali Reynolds books but this one didn't do it for me.
  • Passion, Power & Sin - Books 1-5
  • Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5)
  • King Pawn
  • Dick Francis's Damage
  • The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)
  • Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)
  • Destroyer Angel (Anna Pigeon, #18)
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Asylum City
  • Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott Mysteries. #19)
  • Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5)
  • The War Reporter
  • Death Come Quickly (China Bayles, #22)
  • No Dawn for Men: A Novel of Ian Fleming, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Nazi Germany
  • The Haunted Season (Max Tudor #5)
  • The Kill Order  (Sydney Fitzpatrick #5)
  • High Country Nocturne
  • Standup Guy (Stone Barrington, #28)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Clawback (Ali Reynolds, #11)