Start by marking “Healer of Carthage (The Carthage Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Healer of Carthage (The Carthage Chronicles, #1)

Healer of Carthage

(The Carthage Chronicles #1)

A modern-day doctor gets trapped in third-century Carthage, Rome, where she uncovers buried secrets, confronts Christian persecution, and battles a deadly epidemic to save the man she loves.

A twenty-first-century doctor. A third-century plague. A love out of time.

Published March 4th 2014 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Healer of Carthage, please sign up.
Madeline No; the material is too mature. Although it's not horrifically graphic or blunt in its description, it doesn't soften the uglier aspects of ancient…moreNo; the material is too mature. Although it's not horrifically graphic or blunt in its description, it doesn't soften the uglier aspects of ancient Roman culture (slavery, the rights of slave owners, etc.). There is a considerable amount of sexual material, too. Innuendo and crude speech make up the majority, but marital sexual acts are also (briefly) described with enough visual imagery. (The concept of "making love" is mentioned twice.) One character is a victim of frequent rape (which is never depicted), and there are several instances of partial or full nudity. While some unsavory things portrayed are necessary due to the novel's context, it is definitely for older, more mature readers.(less)

Beth
First-year resident Dr. Lisbeth Hastings doesn’t take her father’s letter summoning her to Egypt seriously, but after making a tragic mistake at the hospital, she decides to go to him, eager to escape the failure that her career seems to have become. While exploring a cave at her father’s archeological dig, Lisbeth falls through a hole and time itself, awakening to find herself on a slave trader’s auction block and the ruins of Carthage restored to its former Roman Empire glory. Once she realize ...more
Mei
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

This is actually a 4,5 stars book!

The story is intriguing, interesting and very fast-paced!

There's a lot happening in a very short time span: the time-travel trauma for Lisbeth, the plague spreading in Carthage, the torment of Lisbeth's mother, the political intrigue, the budding persecution of Christians... It was all very interesting and I loved it!

What I didn't love was Lisbeth. As I said, I understand her trauma from being jolted from
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
This is a mini ‘Books For Christian Girls’ review. It is not a full content review and will not receive one. These mini-reviews are years old and just for clarity on the rating the book received on Goodreads.

5/13/2015-
"Oh, good grief. The sexual content was ridiculously high just for the amount I read. Magdalena is a man's mistress and there is a lot of mentions of her sharing his bed, making love, being naked, and (spoiler content has Sexual Content not fit for young eyes) (view spoiler)
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Have I mentioned I have a thing for pretty cover art? I'm pretty sure I have, but in case you've somehow missed this rather shallow aspect of my selection process, I am a self-proclaimed cover slut. For the record I'm well aware that you can't judge a book by its cover, but on the same note, my weakness has led me to sample several wonderful titles I might not have thought twice about otherwise. Case and point, Lynne Gentry'
Lisa Carter
Despite having a Master's in history, I really don't read that many historical fiction books. That said, I really like Lynne Gentry's debut novel in the The Carthage Chronicles.

After a visit to Rome, North Africa, and Pompeii several years ago, I've developed a fondness for Roman empire era books. Healer of Carthage did not disappoint.

Gentry weaves accurate historical facts (I'm a stickler for that) with amazing characterization and sensory details into a timeless adventure.
All the sights, sound
Shali
I had high hopes for Healer of Carthage. An avid reader of time-travel stories, I was, of course, immediately drawn to the idea; and as it was coupled with Christian fiction, I had naively assumed that it would not only be a clean story, but a good one.

There was quite a bit of nudity (male and female), which I was entirely uncomfortable with, and while I don't remember there being any cussing, it's possible that it was present (the way the book is written, and the attitude of the main character
Lillian Bittle
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mysteries
I loved this book! It was about a modern day doctor and a 3rd century lawyer. Will they ever find a way to bridge the years between them? Or will true love go to the wayside? Plus... this is only the first book in the series!
Sally
Healer of Carthage is the first in the new historical series by new author Lynne Gentry, not that it reads like a debut novel. This is the story of a doctor who, while investigating her mother’s disappearance 23 years previously, falls down the proverbial rabbit hole. When she comes to her senses, she finds she’s about to be sold to the arrogant and lecherous regional governor. She’s eventually bought, however, by another man of standing in the city but she doesn’t see it as an escape. Instead, ...more
Regan
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I totally enjoyed this book. I'm a huge fan of time travel but not of religious books so I was a little slow starting on it because I just didn't want to get blasted with a lot of religious doctrine. It's nothing like that. Yes, the start of christianity and what converts had to deal with is part of the story line, but it's not a lot of gratuitous preaching but a very important thread to the story, especially for the hero's personal crisis. I've already ordered books 2 and 3.
Dawn
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good
Bethany
Be sure and fastened your seat belts, because author Lynne Gentry will take you on a fast-paced, exciting ride back in time to third century Carthage, Rome. Brace yourself to take part in a thrilling journey with doctor Lisbeth Hastings, as she puts her medical training to good use when helping the people of Rome, when a deadly sickness causes many to die in Carthage. Filled with lots of twists and turns, fast paced action and excitement, and a lot of heart; this ride is sure to delight all hist ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Just when Dr. Lisbeth Hastings thinks her life can't get anymore complicated than what it is as a first year resident trying to stay ahead of her game, she finds herself thrust into an ancient history she had only read about before. Losing her mother 23 years ago during an archaeological dig, she has taken over the helm studying to follow in her mother's footsteps as a doctor. Only where her mother excelled, Lisbeth is struggling with trying to appease everyone she can. But when sleep deprivatio ...more
Victor Gentile
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Gentry in her new book, “Healer Of Carthage” Book One in The Carthage Chronicles series published by Howard Books brings us into the life of Dr. Lisbeth Hastings.

From the back cover: A twenty-first-century doctor. A third-century plague. A love out of time.

First-year resident Dr. Lisbeth Hastings is too busy to take her father’s bizarre summons seriously. But when a tragic mistake puts her career in jeopardy, answering her father’s call seems her only hope of redeeming the devastating fail
Kristen Mayfield
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: read-reviewed
Holy WOW! When I finished Healer of Carthage I was breathless, speechless, and in LOVE! I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a dreamy, good looking, muscular, Christian man in a toga!? But I’m getting ahead of myself!

Dr Lisbeth Hastings is a first year Medical Resident in Dallas, but an unfortunate incident happens and she gets placed on probation at her hospital. Lisbeth goes to Tunis, Tunisia to visit her dad, an archeologist, at the Cave of the Swimmers – the exact place her mother disappeared
Lisa Johnson
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Healer of Carthage (The Carthage Chronicles #1)
Author: Lynne Gentry
Pages: 373
Year: 2014
Publisher: Howard Books
Lisbeth Hastings is a first-year resident, fulfilling her mother’s dream for her to become a doctor, or is it her own dream? Her mother left her and her father 23 years ago without a word. Now at age 28, Lisbeth wonders if she is really cut out to be a doctor after she is put on probation due to a missed diagnosis resulting in a death. She receives a letter from her archaeologist
J. Else
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This author keeps leaving out moments when significant emotional changes occur. One minute, the main character hates her mom. The next chapter, all is forgiven. One minute Lisbeth & Cyprian can barely be in a room together. The next chapter, they're madly in love. Readers are not let in on the moments where changes of the heart are discovered. Its basically summarized in the following chapter.

I was not a big fan of the main character. She was so strong willed, she never listened to anyone. A
Hope
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lynne Gentry wrote a compelling story that had me staying up late at nights just to read it! I thought that all of the main characters were well-developed except for Cyprian. Whenever the story was in his perspective, I never knew what he was really thinking. There were some times when the author revealed his thoughts fully, but it was not often and as a result I did not come to love Cyprian as well as I might. Because I was not fully engaged with this character, I was a little lost when Lisbeth ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredible. I read Lynne Gentry's first book Reinventing Leona and really enjoyed it...but HEALER OF CARTHAGE brings out a side of Gentry I will not soon forget. Don't get hung up with the "time travel" part, if you're not a "time travel" reader...I have only read 1 time travel book before but was so drawn to this book, I went for it. I'm so glad I did. The time travel adds sooooo much tension to the book, I am amazed how seamlessly the author wove the story through these diverse er ...more
Catherine Richmond
Outlander fans, this is what to read while you're waiting for Gabaldon's next book!

When first year resident Dr. Lisbeth Hastings is put on probation due to a medical error, she uses the time to check on her father. She travels to Tunisia, then to the archeological site where her father claims he's found her mother, who has been missing for 23 years. Before she can assess the old man for Alzheimer's, the cave floor drops out beneath her. She awakes a slave in 3rd century Carthage. Imminent death
(Liene)
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this story and am definitely looking forward to reading the sequel!

It's a book that made me feel many things and, most importantly, made me think. I like that in a book. I really cared a lot for the characters and wish the next book was out already!

There are many themes in the book that aren't the focus, yet they really got to me. Some are things I am passionate about, so it took a while to get through, thinking about it all.
I would have rated it 5 stars, but it took a good chunk of th
Carole Jarvis
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Good people doing nothing. The fall of every civilization playing out before her very eyes." - Lisbeth, from Healer of Carthage

Great quote, and all too true, I'm afraid. Although Healer of Carthage is not in my favorite genre, I found it moving, convicting, and downright hard to put down. Highly recommended!

Full review:
Gretchen
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a little skeptical of this book at first but, it turned out to be a really good book! I was most skeptical about the history and Latin in this book because I take Latin, but she did a really good job on that part. The characters were very believable and realistic. The suspense was so intense I could not put the book down. I would definitely recommend this book to people who like history and time travel.
Reeda Booke
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great time travel read where a medical student falls down a hole and wakes up in ancient Carthage during Roman rule at the time of a great plague. The author weaves well researched historical facts into a turbulent story where not only does the heroine has to deal with the outbreak of a disease but it is also set amidst a time of great trouble for for the early Christians. Looking forward to the sequel. Highly recommended!
Katie
One of my favorite books of 2014. An intriguing and interesting blend of modern day medicine and ancient Carthage. I could not put this book down and once finished, I pre-ordered book two. It's that good.
Rachel Marie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's no secret that I love all things Ancient Rome. Which, of course, is why I had to read this book. And, I loved it. It was so rich with history and intrigue and was very enjoyable to read.

Oh Lisbeth. Our main character. Yeah, I couldn't really stand her. From the beginning, she was rude and selfish, and all-around disagreeable. Then, she somehow travels back to the third century, which is a miracle in itself, and doesn't take a moment to listen to anyone else or figure out what's going on. Sh
Abigail
So I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, in a way. It wasn't as saccharine sweet as I thought it was going to be, and there were actually some really dark situations which made the book more realistic. I thought the information about ancient Carthage was kind of interesting, though I question the research a bit because of some other things in the book. First off, the whole charge nurse telling the residents what to do in the hospital. That doesn't happen. Not like it's portrayed in th ...more
Sarah Vanscoyoc
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Compelling start to a new series!
Healer of Carthage is the first book in Lynne Gentry’s new The Carthage Chronicles series. It follows the story of Lisbeth Hastings and Cyprian Thascius. I’m not typically into time travel stories, but I’d heard great things about this one and decided to try it. I can happily say that it lived up to my expectations.
Ms. Gentry does a wonderful job with the details and descriptions. I was quickly draw into the story and had to often remind myself that I wasn’t act
Wendy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an adventure. I was swept back to the 3rd Century ancient Rome, being wrapped in the arms of the Roman Solicitor Cyprian by the first couple chapters. As they battle Christian prosecution and a deadly epidemic, Lisbeth and Cyprian realize they are quickly falling in love. This book has adventure, action, history and romance throughout the book. It is definitely a can't put down book!
Marguerite Gray
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love time travel novels, especially ones that are believable. This one is. And to give it a good Christian base is even better. 21st century Lisbeth, a doctor, tumbles into 3rd century Carthage amidst a plague, political upheaval, and Christian persecution. I have Book #2 waiting to answer questions and continue Lisbeth's story!!!
Lauri Gentry
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting time travel story, I needed something different to take a break from the sameness I had been reading. This was an excellent choice for that. Although, for me, the reading was a bit challenging due to the ancient names of the characters it was well worth it. And the ending... WOW
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:16PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:24PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 3 Jul 01, 2014 06:50PM
  • The Queen's Handmaid
  • Queen of the Waves (American Tapestries)
  • A Home for My Heart
  • Tremors (Stone Braide Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • Into the Whirlwind
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • Mark of Distinction (Price of Privilege, #2)
  • What Once Was Lost
  • Yahshua's Bridge (Iron & the Stone #2)
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • When the Clouds Roll By (Till We Meet Again #1)
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • Grace's Pictures (Ellis Island #1)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • The King's Hand (The Knight of Eldaran #2)
  • A Noble Groom (Michigan Brides, #2)
This girl who grew up on a Kansas dairy farm never wanted to be a writer, but she has always been a storyteller. Her mother called it "Selling wind in a bag." Lynne started out writing plays and skits. Then in a moment of sheer insanity, she decided to take a stab at writing full-length novels. Reinventing Leona was her first and it is no longer in print. The Carthage Chronicles are her time trave ...more

The Carthage Chronicles (3 books)
  • Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles, #2)
  • Valley of Decision (The Carthage Chronicles, #3)