Start by marking “The Silver Lining: An Insightful Guide to the Realities of Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:
The Silver Lining: An Insightful Guide to the Realities of Breast Cancer

The Silver Lining: An Insightful Guide to the Realities of Breast Cancer

The Girlfriend’s Guide meets What to Expect for breast cancer patients in an outstanding book that is at once beautiful and helpful, realistic and uplifting.

When she was diagnosed with breast cancer at age thirty-nine, Hollye Jacobs—a pediatric and adult palliative care nurse with graduate degrees in bioethics and child development—started a blog to keep family and friend
Published March 18th 2014 by Atria Books

Cynthia
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book! This might be THE 'go to' guide regarding breast cancer! The author was actually a hospice nurse prior to her own breast cancer diagnosis, so she offers a really unique perspective to this guide. It is really easily read, very informative, a guide from start to finish thru the path that one takes following a diagnosis. She offers sort of a 'road map' thru the whole process, with an interesting & easy to understand way of writing.
If you know someone with breast canc
Marilyn
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book with much information and suggestions for coping with the treatments for breast cancer. At times I thought, “I know exactly what she is talking about.” Sometimes, I just flipped through the pages to read the hints and look at the peaceful, beautiful photographs. I especially liked the chapters “Chemo Sobby”, “Isolation Island” and “Radiation Cloud”.
Stacy
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a healthy, happy thirty-nine-year-old mother with no family history of breast cancer, being diagnosed with the disease rocked Hollye Jacobs’s world. Having worked as a nurse, social worker, and child development specialist for fifteen years, she suddenly found herself in the position of moving into the hospital bed. She was trained as a clinician to heal. In her role as patient, the healing process became personal.

Exquisitely illustrated with full-color photographs by Hollye’s clo
Susan
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! I was given a copy of this book when I visited the nearby Cancer Support Center, and as I flipped through it I was struck by the lovely photographs throughout. When I sat down to read it I realized that the writing and content were just as beautiful. Going through my own breast cancer journey, I've often reflected upon the many "silver linings" along the way (although I didn't call them that) and have tried to keep an optimistic outlook as much as possible. That being said ...more
Kathryn
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I am drawn to beautiful books especially beautiful covers. I do not have cancer, but the reviews I had read about this book still intrigued me. This book is a tool for breast cancer patients. The author writes so poignantly and honestly. She experienced every side effect with every treatment, so there is everything to be gained by reading this book if diagnosed with breast cancer. The photography is so peaceful, artful and gracious. This book would be an incredible gift to someone who is newly d ...more
Erin Morey
Jun 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
This did not speak at all to my experience as a survivor. I am glad that the author had a treatable type of cancer, and that she was able to focus on positive things during her treatment. It would be difficult to read this book, though, if your cancer was not treatable. And, as women, we are socialized to be "nice" even in the face of unfairness. I've found that validating my anger at the unfairness of my diagnosis has been more helpful and empowering than trying to focus on whatever "silver lin ...more
Christine Cheripka
I never thought a few months ago that I would be reading a book about Breast Cancer, but here I am one of the elite group of women with breast cancer in the world. This was a honest and informative book that followed Hollye Jacobs from diagnosis to life after cancer. Thank you Hollye for helping my understanding of life with Breast Cancer. If you want to read an honest , informative and inspiring book , this is the one....
Barbara Pearlman
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent, well written book. The author is a nurse, a wife and mother who had breast cancer at the age of forty. She deals with this step-by-step. This is a wonderful guide for someone newly diagnosed and would make a lovely gift..But Ms. Jacobs also deals with the aftermath, issues relating to recovery. I found it extremely interesting and informative.
Brianne
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this.... The closest thing I have encountered to "my story". The similarities in how we were diagnosed were eerie. I loved that she also had a positive but realistic perspective and shared openly about everything. I felt encouraged and informed. Would definitely recommend to someone w a breast cancer diagnosis.
Karen
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An insightful book with meaningful support written by someone who has been through the drill of breast cancer - and by someone who has cared for cancer patients. Her knowledge is valuable as is her approach toward life. Useful tools for those dealing with cancer in general. Read my complete review at: http://wp.me/p4bVsC-cz
Dana
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book that takes you through the cancer process from diagnosis to after treatment ends. Some of the talk of "silver linings" can come off as trite, but the idea remains that you will do much better by approaching the whole process in a realistic and positive way, than in a negative, dark way.
Jenn Friedland
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I would have had this book at beginning. Would recommend to anyone that has been diagnosed. I think the book would also be helpful for caregivers.
Kim Clune
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the insight into planning prepping and understanding treatment useful to some extent, but so much is missing, like caring for bloody surgical drains, and the pain of reconstruction. And the memoir parts feel far too saccharin. Take the author’s horrible side effects from chemo, for example. When they don’t get better with medical adjustments, the silver lining is that at least she knows what to expect? Please. I’m glad she found this helpful to focus on, if she truly did, but I’m way mor ...more
Bex
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, and found it gave hopeful insights into what to expect following the authors desire to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I like her practice of seeking 'silver linings' every day rather than 'woe is me', and the sense that preparedness helped. Her 'silver lining' that (unusually) she experienced more side effects than most did that she can give insights into how to cope is certainly a positive one. Clearly the American context is different, but this was gently han ...more
Melissa Shreve
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book that a friend gave me to read when first diagnosed with breast cancer. Being fearful and not knowing much about this disease...I was able to read this book and had a lot of questions that were answered. Beautifully done.
Lisaj92000
Oct 08, 2019
Terri
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creativity
  • The Savvy Auntie: The Ultimate Guide for Cool Aunts, Great-Aunts, Godmothers, and All Women Who Love Kids
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • Spiritual Envy: An Agnostic's Quest
  • Service Dogs: The Rescue and Training of Heroes
  • Days of Dreams and Laughter: The Story Girl and Other Tales
  • The Sugar Season: A Year in the Life of Maple Syrup, and One Family's Quest for the Sweetest Harvest
  • Louisa May Alcott: A Biography: With an Introduction to the New Edition
  • Call Me Debbie: True Confessions of a Down-to-Earth Diva
  • The Last Princess
  • Color Blind: The Forgotten Team That Broke Baseball's Color Line
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • The Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age
  • The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Gluten-Aware Plan for Losing Weight and Feeling Great--FAST!
  • Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride
  • A Very New York Christmas
  • 100 Places That Can Change Your Child's Life: From Your Backyard to the Ends of the Earth
Hollye Jacobs, RN, MS, MSW, speaks publicly and writes about her experience on her award-winning blog, TheSilverPen.com. She is a frequent contributor to The Huffington Post, BreastCancer.org, Susan G. Komen, and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation Army of Women Blog. She lives in Santa Barbara, California, with her family.