Start by marking “Chateau of Secrets” as Want to Read:
Chateau of Secrets

Chateau of Secrets

A courageous young noblewoman risks her life to hide French resistance fighters; seventy years later, her granddaughter visits the family’s abandoned chateau and uncovers shocking secrets from the past. Gisèle Duchant guards a secret that could cost her life. Tunnels snake through the hill under her family’s medieval chateau in Normandy. Now, with Hitler’s army bearing dow ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Chateau of Secrets, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linda He wasn't but because the tattoo was in letters and she was a bit disoriented, she associated it with her internment.

Erin
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Want to know something funny? I don't really want to write this review. I don't want to write it because once I put down my thoughts, I'll have to say goodbye and Melanie Dobson's Chateau of Secrets is the kind of story I hate to let go of.

I suppose the most amazing thing about the novel is that both story lines - Chloe's in the present and Gisèle's during WWII - are equally compelling. Maybe I've been unlucky, but this is p
Beth
Quickie review! This was my first novel by Melanie Dobson, and now I'm eager to get my hands on her previous books and her upcoming release. Rarely when I read a dual-time narrative do I find both sides of the story equaling compelling. Typically, in the face of the historical aspect, the contemporary storyline comes across as trite and anti-climactic, but here I thought the blend was terrific.
Barb
Other readers with similar tastes have read and enjoyed this. I recently read a book that was categorized as Christian Fiction and thought it was very enjoyable. I found the Christian in this fiction heavy handed and inconsistent throughout the story.

The story itself was compelling, unfortunately I found myself wishing a more experienced author had written the narrative. The characters in both the contemporary and historical settings came across as flat and one dimensional. The dialogue was very
Sara
I loved this book!!! The story moves back and forth between Normandy, France during WWII and Normandy in the present day as the secrets of one family's involvement in the war are revealed and developed. I don't often cry at the end of a book but this one brought me to tears. I highly recommend this book!!!
Staci
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Fabulous marriage of current day and 1940s. This novel was based largely in France. It is so satisfying to read a novel that has an engaging storyline (I was equally drawn to Chloe's current day story as I was to Gisele's 1940s story) and educates me as well. I do not want to give anything away so will not share what I learned from reading this novel.

I highly recommend Chateau of Secrets for those who enjoyed The Butterfly and Violin by Kristy Cambron and Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.
Sarita
Apart from Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke, this was the best WW2 book I've read to date. The author took me back to a time era, where you know what happened, still hope for different outcomes, and was able to highlight some interesting facts that I never knew, without being left depressed after reading this.

This dual-time story was quite different to others I've read - the past was written in 3rd person, the present in 1st person. At first I found it weird, but then later found it actually helped me know which voice I'm rea
Dawn
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very intriguing book. I wasn't expecting both the WWII story as well as the present day one. Still it was good.
Theresa
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Chateau of Secrets” is a novel about the French Resistance and loosely based on the life of Genevieve de Saint Pern Menke, who risked her life to save downed Allied airmen during World War 2. There truly *was* a chateau in France, with tunnels underneath where Resistance fighters hid along with the airmen. You can see photos of the chateau on Melanie’s blog here: http://melaniedobson.com/research/res....

"Chateau of Secrets" is a dual story. Chloe, engaged to a up-and-coming gubernatorial candid
Karen R
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What an amazing story--based in part on a real person and events--best book I've read for awhile! It will keep you up late just to see what happens and how the mystery unfolds. This is a must-read for anyone interested in WW2 especially, or who just enjoys a good adventure with human interest, and a small side of romance. Once you've read it, check out the author's blog for photos and more info on the person who inspired the book. 5+ stars!
Michelle
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Beautiful. Can't recommend enough.
Audrey
Life was a challenge for Gisele during World War Two when the German Nazis invaded her country and moved into her chateau. Since her brother was fighting with the French Resistance, and her own concern for the Jewish children in her community, it was essential she keeps her secrets undercover.

Years later, Gisele's granddaughter, Chloe, returned to France to investigate her heritage. She discovers that her grandmother's secrets were more surprising than Chloe had expected. I loved the combined st
Nicole
Chateau of Sectrets

When I went to the library to pick up my reservation I was drawn to the WW2 bookstand. Before I knew it I found myselfs browsing through the books on the shelf. I felt an inner urge to read a book that took place during the Second World War. With the 5th of may right around the corner, the timin
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://tinyurl.com/p32rnca

Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson is an epic story, told by a masterful storyteller. Every essential element is present: rich characterization, historical detail, multilayered plots, lyrical writing that flows across the page, an emotional and gripping narrative. This is also a compelling and relevant story, with a message that calls out to us today. My attention was captured and held from the very first page. Whenever I come across a
Plethora
Melanie Dobson weaves together two storylines in the Chateau of Secrets, the modern day and a tale of seventy-years ago. Our modern day tale is centered around Chloe Salvare, a school teacher that has just had her world tossed upside down and her hunt to figure out what happened at her families Château during WWII. Chloe wonders what transpired that has kept her grandmother's lips (Gisèle aka Mémé) sealed for so long and her father scared to go back.

I found the present day story of Chloe's life
Melinda
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it

Dobson seamlessly weaves two interconnecting narratives of the past and the present. Two wonderfully strong and independent female protagonists spotlighted, leaving the audience in awe of their courage, grace and poise.

Gisele exemplified courage amidst her fear and risked her life for her county,
Margaret
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Melanie Dobson and I have to say that I was very impressed. I love dual time period stories, this one alternated between World War II and present day. This story had me engaged right from the beginning, the authors writing style made it easy to get lost in this saga. There is a lot going on here, drama, mystery, suspense, romance, deception and secrets to name just a few.

Beginning when France is invaded by the Germans we meet Gisele Duchant, a brave and caring young woma
Nancy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have changed the rating between 4 and 5 a number of times so I think it is a safe assumption that it is definitely more than a 4 star book but doesn't quite reach a 5 star for me. The push to a 5 star is simply that it didn't move me so completely on a literary level. It's strong, just not that the 5 star strong. But close.

The book is loosely based on a woman who lived near Normandy during the German occupation. She lived in a family chateau and some of the experiences described are true event
Cheryl Colwell
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, romance
For anyone intrigued by the bravery resistance fighters maintained during World War II, this book will prove highly satisfying. A rich, suspenseful story brings that time of tribulation to light, while romance touches it with emotion. Moving between contemporary and historical plots adds a great deal of perplexity and context. A recommended read.
Joy Engel
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a fun book about people having romantical problems at war times. But buyer beware: this is a secret Jesus book. Leave it on the shelf.
Louise
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed the WWII story line more than the modern story, which was very predictable. The religious aspect was too heavy handed for me.
Thelma Fountain
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is exceptional! Melanie Dobson is fast becoming one of my favorite historical fiction writers. I was completely engrossed in both timelines in this novel often when there are dual timelines i enjoy one portion of the story more but this time I really felt involved in both. I highly recommend this book.
Hope
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading, wwii
Way better than average Christian fiction. A real page-turner about a young French woman and her private battle against the Nazis during WWII.
Bethany
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first book that I'd read by Melanie Dobson, but I'm sure it probably won't be the last as I really enjoyed this story! I'm a big fan of WWII historical fiction, so when I read the book description, I was very eager to read it. While I did realized this book was about WWII, what I didn't realize until I started reading it, is that it's actually a very unique novel in the fact that it's half historical fiction and half contemporary fiction.

The historical story in Chateau of Secrets is
Amber Stokes
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With my preference for a good dose of sweet romance in a book, it's a sign of wonderful writing when a story can engage me despite the fact that the romance doesn't really kick in for a while. Not to worry - it's certainly there in Melanie Dobson's latest, fellow romance fans! In fact, it comes in a double dose, but perhaps isn't as prevalent due to all the intriguing and devastating history and situations that rightly consume the characters' (and reader's) attention.

The first chapters introduce
Tara Chevrestt
“Courage doesn’t mean you stop being afraid. It means you continue to fight, even when you’re terrified.”

This is a story that reminds us not to take people at face value. What you see on the surface is not always the same as what’s going on beneath. I was reminded of this as I read both the contemporary and the historical story. Each story line transported me to another place or time or place and time. From modern-day Virginia to WWII France…

I love the historical heroine in this. She’s so very b
Judy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Betrayal, Family, and Secrets!

If you like excitement, mystery, thrills, secrets, and enjoy historical novels, this book is for you. This is the first book I have read by author Melanie Dobson. In a word, Wow! I am looking forward to reading more books by her.

I loved how the story goes back and forth between two main characters. Gisele Duchant is on a mission to hide her brother and others who are resistance fighters against Hitler and his army. Their hiding place happens to be in tunnels that ar
Suzanne
Chloe Sauver is the granddaughter of a woman who played a role in the French Resistance during World War II, and the secrets arising from her activities are about to come to light. In Chateau of Secrets. Melanie Dobson weaves a story as unputdownable as it is unforgettable, traveling between the present day and the war torn French Countryside under Nazi occupation.

This book was wonderful on so many levels. First, I love historical fiction and am fascinated with World War II stories. I have read
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I really enjoyed both the contemporary story line about Chloe, & the historical one about her Meme, Gisele. I was quite pleased to have guessed a couple of the things that was left kind of mysterious at the beginning. At first I wasn't to sure about the POV changing with every chapter, but after I got used to it I didn't mind. The way the author did it, made it - kind of - feel like you are learning the grandmother's story even as Chloe is finding it out.
This would have b
Delilah
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A strong 3.5 stars. This novel stays with you after you're finished. The Author's note is what me made me fall in love with this story all over again, very powerful. A time period most of us couldn't even begin to comprehend is so many people's reality and history. This is a story of the French people that took a stand against Hitler and said enough. It humanizes the real struggles and tough choices people had to make: like a Jewish man being a Nazi, in order to save his family. Or a French woma ...more

• For Such a Time
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Daisies Are Forever (Women of Courage #2)
  • Out of the Ruins (Golden Gate Chronicles #1)
  • Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles, #2)
  • Anchor in the Storm (Waves of Freedom, #2)
  • Shadowed by Grace (Story of Monuments Men, #1)
  • Dangerous Allies (WWII, #1)
  • Flame of Resistance
  • Promise to Cherish (The Promise of Sunrise #2)
  • Until the Dawn (Until the Dawn, #1)
  • Hope at Dawn (Of Love and War, #1)
  • Saving Amelie
  • Love Comes Home (Rosey Corner, #3)
  • Bride of a Distant Isle (Daughters of Hampshire, #2)
  • The Baron's Honourable Daughter
  • Tides of War
  • Somebody Like You
Writing fiction is a fun excuse for Melanie to explore ghost towns and old houses, travel to unusual places, and spend hours reading dusty books and journals. She writes both contemporary and historical fiction with threads of romance and suspense.

Melanie is the award-winning author of almost twenty time-slip, historical romance, suspense, and contemporary novels including Catching the Wind, Bene
“I have no desire to be in a relationship for the sake of being in one,” he said. “I’ve made mistakes in the past, terrible ones. The next time I date a woman, I hope it’s for keeps.” 1 likes
“With my wet hair wrapped in a towel, I retrieved the tray of food, placed it on the coffee table, and breathed in the aromas of dark espresso and apple butter. Piled onto the tray was a basket of warm croissants, prosciutto sliced so thin it looked like pink tissue paper, slices of honeydew melon, and little white tubs with butter and jam and soft cheese.
As I cut open a croissant, its breath warmed my face, and I slathered it with the butter and then the strawberry jam. While in France, I would not count a single calorie. It was Austin himself who had told me to enjoy the food. Immerse myself in the past.”
0 likes