Start by marking “But Enough About You: Essays” as Want to Read:
But Enough About You: Essays

But Enough About You: Essays

A wide-ranging selection of essays both hilarious and poignant, irreverent and delightful. In his first book of essays since his 1997 bestseller, Wry Martinis, Buckley delivers a rare combination of big ideas and truly fun writing. Tackling subjects ranging from "How to Teach Your Four-Year-Old to Ski" to "A Short History of the Bug Zapper," and "The Art of Sacking" to lit ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about But Enough About You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But Enough About You

Tony
May 08, 2014 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
BUT ENOUGH ABOUT YOU. (2014). Christopher Buckley. ****.
Christopher, son of William F., has been writing humor fiction for a long time now. In between books, he manages to maintain a steady stream of short pieces which he calls essays. They are in the vein of Mark Twain and Calvin Trillin and a variety of other adepts at irony. Most of the essays published in this collection first appeared in “ForbesFYI,” later titled “Forbes Magazine.” Also included in the pantheon of publications were Time, Th
Steve Peifer
May 16, 2014 Steve Peifer rated it really liked it
If you were a huge fan of The White House Mess and Thank You For Smoking and been disappointed with the books since then, this is a revelation. The truth is he just isn't as funny as he used to be. The astonishing thing is that he has become a gifted serious writer. Read his essay on Auschwitz and it will stay with you because of it's understated power. The Farewell section is uniformly touching. I think he has outgrown his satire. It's time for him to swing for the fences and write the serious ...more
Andrea
Apr 20, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: Goodreads

Although promoted as a humorous compilation, I do not view this book as a thigh-slapper. The advanced copy that I read, compliments of Simon & Schuster and the Goodreads First Reads program, strikes a nice balance of wit, information, and sophistication yet leaves one melancholic over the loss of so much and so many. On the brighter side, the leading quotes are perfect, the subtler humor is enjoyable, and many articles are enriching.

One aspect that I found particularly irksome was the seemi

Lcitera
Jun 28, 2014 Lcitera rated it really liked it
I enjoy Buckley's books...they make me laugh...and I be not an easy audience. His essays, written for various sources including the NY TIMES, The DAILY BEAST, and FORBES, address a variety of topics most often written as satire; a few so serious and so well done you can feel his horror as to that which he has observed. My favorite...rewriting MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY in summary, from the point of view of Captain Bligh. I read every word, but easily a book from which one can pick and choose for a fas ...more
Peg
Jul 06, 2014 Peg rated it really liked it
The clever Mr. Buckley provides an irresistible array of essays and satire which have the reader smiling, guffawing, and wiping away a tear. Intensely enjoyable book.
Mark Taylor
May 11, 2014 Mark Taylor rated it it was amazing
Christopher Buckley’s most recent book is But Enough About You, a collection of essays he has written for various publications over the last 15 years. Buckley is one of my favorite writers, and I devoured But Enough About You with delight. The pieces collected in But Enough About You are a true grab-bag, running the gamut from humorous to serious. However, the essays collected here work well together, even though they span a decade and a half. As a writer, Buckley is consistently funny, witty, a ...more
J
Apr 21, 2014 J rated it liked it
This is a collection of essays written over a period of about 25 years. While the book says that "many" have been previously published, I think the only new part of the book is the preface. Thus, I wouldn't recommend this book to regular readers of Forbes, FYI, The Atlantic Monthly, and The Daily Beast, as you will probably have encountered most of them before. However, if like this reader, you aren't a regular reader of those publications, this is a good introduction to Buckley's writing.

I
Claudia
Nov 03, 2013 Claudia rated it liked it
Like many collections, it's a bit uneven, but it gets much, much better after a weak start.

Disclaimer: I don't like travel writing, in general, so any travel essay has a strike against it going in. That said, those are by far the weakest essays in the book (my husband gave up in the midst of them, and he likes both travel writing and Buckley, so really, they're pretty bad). Buckley also mentions a lot of meals, but doesn't describe them, which makes for very dull reading. "Then we went here, and
Dan Glover
Apr 17, 2015 Dan Glover rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I've been on a essay kick lately and also have been on the road for work, so I got this audio book from the local library. I had never read anything by Christopher Buckley (son of William F. Buckley Jr.) previously so didn't know what to expect. He is a very good craftsman of the English language and is at his best when he is writing a humourous piece, although there are some very good serious entries here too, such as when he recounts a trip he made to Auschwitz. The book is divided into nine s ...more
Glenn
Jan 23, 2015 Glenn rated it really liked it
Checked this out of the public library to thumb through because I always admired his dad WFB. Stuffed it in my bag almost as an afterthought on a winter respite to Florida from Trenton. Why carry a hardcover along with the lifetime reading plan on your kindle? As usual the mind numbness induced by the TSA screening process as well as a delay in departure put me in a foul mood and fearful of being in a funk when we met our hosts in the sunshine state. Starting to read in the crowded lounge amidst ...more
A
May 28, 2014 A rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this book through the First Reads program.

This book kinda felt like hanging out at a retirement home. Just an older guy telling little stories about his life. Some are just boring and pointless, like the essay about how he repainted his mother's house and couldn't believe how many shades of white there were. That was the entire story. He tried to embellish and make it amusing, so if you're a fan of that writing style- sort of Dave Barry-ish- you might enjoy it. (Tha
Tawney
I received this book compliments of Simon & Schuster through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Christopher Buckley offers up a generous collection of his essays from the past twenty or so years. They cover a wide range of subject matter and many moods: light-hearted, informative, satiric, wistful. It's a bit like the Ed Sullivan Show. Some acts you enjoy, some you yawn through knowing other members of the family adore them. There is always the chance that some delightful turn of phrase or qu
Uwe Hook
Aug 19, 2014 Uwe Hook rated it really liked it
This really is a great collection of essays. The great thing about But Enough About You is that if one essay is not to your liking, surely the next one will suit you. Buckley has had such a wide range of experiences, in his travels, writing career, political experience, and his circle of friends, that it seems he has no end of interesting anecdotes. His life is more interesting than most, and he writes movingly and brilliantly about it. (And, I would add, humbly. Even though he moves in elite ci ...more
Doug
I know the name buckley - I believe I had read some of the 1st gen (father) stuff from years ago so it was with some bit of expectation that I picked up the book from the 2nd generation (son) - hoping for something good. The son served as a speechwriter during the Reagan years so there must be something there I'm thinking.

Some people just have the knack - they put the words together and they just .... work. This is one, that for me, had a collection of essays that just worked. Not all of them -
Akin
Dec 07, 2016 Akin rated it liked it
Suffers the fate of most anthologies, which is to say that it is unevenly paced. Buckley has honed his (slightly) self-deprecating humour well, and some of the pieces are laugh-out loud funny. Others reveal a contemplative depth which shouldn't surprise, but does. I wasn't particularly crazy about some of the 'skit'-style funnies, and (although this is me - I don't like most travel writing) much of the section about France.

I found myself thinking, more than once, that Buckley is a poor man's PJ
Jim
Jul 26, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this very much. Because they are essays and on a wide range of subjects, it was a little uneven. I found, surprisingly, that I liked the serious essays more than the humorous ones. I used to love his humor but now, it's a little flip for my taste.

The one on the death camp was very good and I enjoyed his little portraits of famous men he has known... from Reagan and Bush to Christopher Hitchens.

My favorite book of his is one I read in about 1983 - Steaming To Bamboola. If you are a fan
Lauren
Apr 23, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, arc
I was happy to receive a copy of But Enough About You: Essays in a First Reads giveaway. I'm a huge Christopher Buckley fan and usually enjoy his novels. This collection of essays unfortunately falls short in my opinion. Some of the essays are just too old to have any current relevance and other essays are on obscure topics that are not very interesting. The essays that I enjoyed the most I had previously read, although it was fun to revisit some of them, especially the satirical ones. I think i ...more
Lauren
May 23, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
I really enjoy Christopher Buckley’s books. I love his wry take on the world.

But I never, under any circumstances, want to meet the man.

Odd as it sounds, that might be the best description I can give But Enough About You. This collection of essays is wildly inconsistent. Some are hilarious and reminded me why I think Mr. Buckley might be one of the premiere satirists and essayists of his generation. Others are dull, and still others reminded me that Christopher Buckley was born with a silver spo
Robin Tierney
May 11, 2014 Robin Tierney rated it liked it
Window to the world of the wealthy and powerful. Some essays are full of well-written witty and wise observations. Others fill space and come across as silly rather than humorous. Interesting anecdotes from CB's travels and circles, and also from others...such as this exchange:

Robert Benchley, bibulously leaving the 21 Club one night, saw a man adorned with gold braid, assumed he was the doorman, and instructed him to call a cab.
The man replied somewhat starchily, “I am an admiral.”
“In that cas
Lesley
Jun 14, 2014 Lesley rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received But Enough About You through Goodreads' First Reads program.

Christopher Buckley's book is a collection of his essays over a number of years. The essays covered politics, family life, travel, and various other topics.

It's clear that Buckley is a keen observer, but I found his essays to have a smugness to them. He can be funny, but I didn't find myself chuckling as much as I thought I would.

That being said, I think his essays may just not be my thing. If you're a fan of essays, Buckley'
Jeff
Jul 22, 2014 Jeff rated it did not like it
I like satire as much as anyone. The brand of satire Mr. Buckley uses is just not funny. He writes in a "look at me, aren't I clever " way that destroys his attempt at humor.

That said he can write non fiction very well. His short piece on George H. W. Bush is one of the nest you will read and his moving piece on a visit to Auschwitz is top notch.

Unfortunately he could never be half as clever as he thinks he is.
Sjancourtz
Jul 04, 2014 Sjancourtz rated it really liked it
If you like witty, erudite essays, read this book. Sure, Buckley can sometimes be a bit too Yalie in the naive "but why can't they just eat cake?" mode. But overall, take Kurt Vonnegut essays, add a bit of unapologetic erudition, and you'll find a whole bunch of fun topics to enjoy and chortle at. (See, there it is. Buckley would NEVER have that dangling preposition, let alone the run-on sentence.)
Judith
May 06, 2015 Judith rated it liked it
I love the title, but the essays felt overly wordy. His fiction seems much sharper and succinct, though I enjoyed reading "Losing Mum and Pop". Perhaps he had to fill a certain number of pages or columns for the essays which were a collection of pieces that had appeared in magazines over the years. Not my favorite Buckley book.
Jen
Dec 26, 2015 Jen rated it liked it
I grabbed this kind of randomly off the library shelf because I felt like essays. I quickly learned what I like from Buckley (travel, obits) and what I don't (politics, straight satire of the History of N variety). So I skimmed and skipped a fair amount. Seems wrong to count it as a book read but on the other hand life's too short.
Douglas
Feb 16, 2016 Douglas rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Mr. Buckley's novels except for the first one (The Whitehouse Mess) and I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. I believe Florence of Arabia should have been much more popular and even made into a movie.

I did not know he was also an excellent essayist, reviewer and obituary writer. He is truly a rare man of letters. Highly recommended.
Reading Fool
May 03, 2014 Reading Fool rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2014
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

What a fun read. This is a collection of essays on all sorts of subjects, from biking in the French countryside with his family to walking through a tour of a concentration camp. I learned a great deal from Buckley's smart writing. It is witty, sharp, and delightful.
Jamie
Apr 23, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received my copy of But Enough About You: Essays through the Goodreads Giveaway. I found this book to be entertaining and a fun read. With many essays, this book offered a lot of interesting and though-provoking chapters on a variety of topics. I enjoyed it and will be reading through these essays again.
Charissa Wilkinson
Apr 23, 2014 Charissa Wilkinson rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program for a fair review.

Mr. Buckley is an interesting man. He seems well traveled and probably has to figure out how to fit his writing in. I know I wouldn’t be as proficient. These essays were fun, charming in a way, and at times bittersweet.

It was a great book. I enjoyed the ride.
Paul Duggan
May 03, 2014 Paul Duggan rated it it was amazing
Buckley takes as his title a paraphrase of Oscar Wilde's famous quip, "But enough about me. Let's talk about what you think about me."

Wilde figures prominently in this hilarious book of essays as does Paris, other French locales, the wonderful, late Christopher Hitchens, and a smorgasbord of other topics.

A very funny book. Recommended.
Marilyn
Nov 01, 2016 Marilyn rated it liked it
Mr. Buckley like to talk about himself and drop names--sometimes that makes for funny essays. His riff on Trump was spot on. Interestingly enough, all the other essays he wrote for different magazines were dated but the one about Trump was not. Maybe he wrote it yesterday.
  • Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion
  • Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin: Forty Years of Funny Stuff
  • Poking a Dead Frog: Conversations with Today's Top Comedy Writers
  • A War for the Soul of America: A History of the Culture Wars
  • Critical Mass: Four Decades of Essays, Reviews, Hand Grenades, and Hurrahs
  • The Emancipation of a Buried Man
  • Scribble, Scribble, Scribble: Writings on Ice Cream, Obama, Churchill & My Mother
  • It Happened One Christmas
  • The Deer on a Bicycle: Excursions Into the Writing of Humor
  • Beneath the Ice (Perry Sachs #2)
  • Fish Whistle: Commentaries, Uncommentaries, And Vulgar Excesses
  • The Best American Essays 2014
  • A Thousand and One Afternoons in Chicago
  • The Portable Curmudgeon
  • Gray's Anatomy
  • Thank God for the Atom Bomb & Other Essays
  • Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye
  • A Passion for Leadership: Lessons on Change and Reform from Fifty Years of Public Service
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...

“Block of Death. Just inside the door on the left is the room where they held the proceedings. Jarek remarks that the SS officer who sentenced five thousand Poles here to die was still alive last year, living in Germany, age ninety-two. We ask why. He shrugs. At the far end on the corridor, on the left, looking out into the courtyard, is the room where the condemned were stripped and held. An illustration depicts a naked girl holding on to her mother’s legs as the SS guard comes for them. High on the wall, a prisoner scratched graffiti, a name and the date and the words, “Sentenced to die.” Beneath that is the date of the next day and the words, “I’m still here.” 1 likes
“Block of Death. Just inside the door on the left is the room where they held the proceedings. Jarek remarks that the SS officer who sentenced five thousand Poles here to die was still alive last year, living in Germany, age ninety-two. We ask why. He shrugs. At the far end on the corridor, on the left, looking out into the courtyard, is the room where the condemned were stripped and held. An illustration depicts a naked girl holding on to her mother’s legs as the SS guard comes for them. High on the wall, a prisoner scratched graffiti, a name and the date and the words, “Sentenced to die.” Beneath that is the date of the next day and the words, “I’m” 1 likes