Start by marking “How to Be Danish: A Journey to the Cultural Heart of Denmark” as Want to Read:
How to Be Danish: A Journey to the Cultural Heart of Denmark

How to Be Danish: A Journey to the Cultural Heart of Denmark

What links Sarah Lund and Lars von Trier? Or Carlsberg and Kierkegaard? Or even Shakespeare and Metallica? The answer lies in Denmark, the country that has gripped the British imagination more than any other in recent memory. But though we watch their TV series, wear their jumpers, and play with their toys, how much do we really know about the Danes themselves?

From Lego to
Published February 4th 2014 by Atria Books/Marble Arch Press (first published October 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Danish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Danish

Tiffany Reisz
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finished!

Fun short book with loads of insight into modern Danish culture and the Danish mindset. The chapter on how Denmark is becoming the world's most carbon-neutral/green nation should be required reading for every world leader. The Danes, as they say, aren't hippies. The reason they use wind-powered turbines, etc, is not out of mother earth love but simply because it's practical. They were hit hard by the century's major oil crises and for the sake of money and practicality, they never want
Jodi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having lived in Denmark for some time, I was very eager to read this book. It was not exactly what I imagined it to be but was enjoyable /educational nonetheless.

I did not agree with everything Kingsley professed; I did have to remind myself I have not lived there for 20 years. Yet, the author’s discussion of hyggelig brought so many happy and cozy memories. Was very glad he mentioned it as Danes do take great pride in creating an atmosphere that is warm, cozy, welcoming, hospitable and filled w
Frk. Hyms
One of the things I love is hearing people from other countries and cultures talk about Denmark – my small, but lovely country. The different opinions, the general assumptions and the (mainly) nice things people say make me happy, make me laugh and they make me proud. I knew, I had to read Patrick Kingsley’s book – if for no other reason than to see how much I could recognize.

Unfortunately (for me), I know less about Denmark than he does and I actually find that kind of embarrassing. But I don’
Christine Spoors
It was really interesting to read about Denmark and the Danish from the POV of someone from the UK, as previously I’ve read about Denmark from the POV of Danes.

This was a very interesting book covering a variety of topics from the Nordic food revolution to the issues of immigration. I liked that this book showed both the good and the bad sides to the country and attempted to explain both throughout.

I definitely recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about Denmark, I recently got back from a t
Bry Jensen
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
You can read this review and many more at Romancing the Laser Pistol

Let's begin by acknowledging that I am Danish. In fact, genetically, I am very Danish. My last name, Jensen, is the most prevalent surname in all of Denmark, and the whole of my family has the very, very Danish look. However, I have never (yet) been to Denmark, and due to the obvious language barrier, I have very little contact with most of my extended family. So when the chance to read this book came up, I jumped, figuring this
Velvetmartini
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breezy, but pithy. Fascinating snapshot of modern Denmark, in all its hygge glory. Good, thought-provoking insights on the travails of community-minded Danes' coming to grips with multiculturalism, being exceptional, and maintaining their core cultural values in this rapidly globalized new era.
Lauren
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You should probably just watch Anthony Bourdain's Copenhagen episode of Parts Unknown or read Being Danish.
Linda
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
A fun short book on various aspects of living in Denmark.
Vaiomo
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
review tomorrow morning 😊
Rasmus Raspel
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick overview nothing top special but simple to read and presents the general idea about the Danish mentality and culture
Bethany

This review is based on an ARC received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. Below is the scale I use in rating books.

brief
Provides a highly informative and easily read introduction to life in modern Denmark, from the culinary trends and green living to immigration and the welfare state.

full review
Author Patrick Kingsley certainly seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to modern Denmark. In his informal na
Jeffrey Howard
Kingsley is an international journalist writing this book primarily for a British audience. It's an easy read with 8 chapters which dip into several key aspects of the Danish culture. It's the first book for the young journalist, but it reads like something from a more seasoned writer. It was well-researched, witty, and insightful.

Denmark, like its Nordic siblings, is en vogue. From its bike-centered cities, folk high schools, New Nordic Cuisine, to tv/film exports--and of course, the hoopla ab
Alys Grey
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Kingsley offers up a little for everyone in "How to Be Danish." While Danish architecture and design aren't my milieu, I particularly enjoyed the chapters on education, immigration, energy, and transportation (read: cycling). He also includes all sorts of interesting tidbits; I found his exploration of Danish knitting (by way of Danish television exports) surprisingly engaging.

Kingsley isn't Danish and as such his perspective may be expected to differ in meaningful ways from that of a Da
Sara
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theory-of-bloom
Something is cool in the state of Denmark

[Through my ratings, reviews and edits I'm providing intellectual property and labor to Amazon.com Inc., listed on Nasdaq, which fully owns Goodreads.com and in 2013 posted revenues for $74 billion and $274 million profits. Intellectual property and labor require compensation. Amazon.com Inc. is also requested to provide assurance that its employees and contractors' work conditions meet the highest health and safety standards at all the company's sites
Reza Amiri Praramadhan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ebooks
Like other scandinavian countries, Denmark has been seen as a welfare state utopia, with its generous entitlements from cradle to grave. However, Denmark is more than that. With the world become more integrated, Denmark faces many contradictions. While its politics are centrists for most of the time, the third largest political party is a far-right party, which without its support, the ruling party would face a hard time governing. It is remarkably liberal, with legalization of same-sex marriage ...more
Cindy
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
well. I slogged through this, then skimmed a bunch. The beginning of the book made me think it was going to a fun quick read, but the chapters on politics and the killing were so slow going for me I ended up skimming. This book was more a highlight of current topics in Denmark than a "how to be danish". Not bad, but not what I expected.

I found it interesting that just like other countries, Denmark has a problem accepting immagrants and has a problem with racism. Although, they don't like to admi
Carol
Patrick Kingsley is a young British journalist whose short study of Danish society today has the advantage of being written by an outsider. He observations about key issues in Denmark today -- immigration, the welfare state's economy, internationally Danish TV shows, New Nordic Cuisine among them -- are well researched and presented in an engaging manner. I'm not sure everyone in Denmark will agree with all of his conclusions, but in typical Danish fashion I'm certain there will be lively discus ...more
Aidan
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like (I imagine) many of the readers of this book I was inspired to learn more about Denmark by a combination of glowing international reports on its commitment to egalitarianism and the sombre and complex brilliance of 'The Killing'. More a collection of extended magazine articles than a book which must be read from page 1 to page 180, this thoroughly entertaining book is superb for those looking for an introduction to several key aspects of modern Danish society. Highly recommended.
Luke
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief overview of what outsiders would consider 'Danish' - design, the welfare state, a closely-held monoculture, dark crime shows - that whets the appetite for more serious reading.

The book doesn't claim to have all the answers, or anywhere near a complete portrait, but it's remarkable to read a little about approaches that seem to have succeeded where our own systems may falter.
Nicki Markus
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
How to be Danish is a fun and interesting read for anyone interested in Denmark's people and culture.
Patrícia
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting, easy to read, well written. The past and the present of Denmark in less than 200 pages. I totally recommend it!
Sarah Clifford
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History, travel tips, pop-culture references - This books covers it all.
Lysergius
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
Denmark is the country of the moment. This book explains why and how to be Danish.
Ashley
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know more about Danishness and Scandinavian culture in general, read “The Almost Nearly Perfect People” by Michael Booth. That book, I read before moving to Denmark, and still think about regularly.

Not this.

In contrast, Kingsley’s “How to be Danish,” at a mere 180 pages bloated by random and not particularly helpful illustrations, reads more like parachute journalism. Kingsley tries to get to the heart of Danishness through several aspects of recent culture, but never really goes
Alex Hoskinson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books
After a recent visit to some relatives in Denmark, I realized I know almost nothing about the country. This book was the perfect choice to change that.

It's short, and the author's journalism background makes it easy to read (plus, it's full of quotes from experts on the topics). It's broken down by topic to keep it organized, and it helps you have a good overview of all sides of Danish culture by the end.

In my opinion, being written by a non-Danish person was a good thing. He didn't seem to have
Soobie's scared
Meh...

I've never lived in Denmark. I've only Inter-railed there back in 2000. Jeez, 17 years ago... I remember buying a Danish version of Welcome to Dead House (I still have it!) and admiring the Danes because their cigarettes cost a huge amount of money. But this book popped up as a suggestion and I bought it.

SIGH! I really like the starting point: Danish TV series but I didn't like the road the author took to describe Denmark. The chapter about schools was OK. The one about food was loooong an
Kerry
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I absolutely adored reading this book. As someone who is full of so much wunderlust to travel Scandinavia and one day perhaps live in Copenhagen for a while I was intrigued to read this book. Also, as it was written by a fellow Brit, Patrick Kingsley, so things were easier to understand as it was written by someone coming from a similar background.

Kingsley focuses on education, food, design, the welfare state, immigration, Copenhagen, drama and Jutland. It provided me with a lot of information a
Heather
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of articles on different aspects of Danish culture; including food, design, sustainable energy, happiness, lack of poverty, education, politics and immigration. Particularly interesting: the author makes the case that many of the "green" and "sustainable" and democratic ideals are the outgrowth of Denmark's historic farming co-op roots, and are motivated as much by "conservative" ideals of "being prepared" and "being responsible" as they are leftist notions of simply caring for one an ...more
Casey Quick
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I went to Copenhagen, Denmark on our honeymoon. I picked this book up at a bookstore just down the street from our hotel. Not knowing much about Danish culture or history, I found that reading this book while I was in Denmark made my experience there much richer. Kingsley explores themes such as cuisine, immigration patterns and urban planning in Denmark, weaving in aspects of Danish culture and history. It is a quick, witty and fun read that only scratches the surface of Danish c ...more
Agata
Zawiodłam się nieco na tej książce. Mam wrażenie, że przeczytałam zbiór fun factów o Danii, który nie składał się na żaden koherentny portret "duńskości", mimo, że niektóre fragmenty faktycznie były ciekawe. W innych częściach książki bardzo się męczyłam, miałam wrażenie, że autor się powtarza (momentami czułam się, jakbym czytała czyjś licealny esej gdzie uczeń leje wodę i piętnaście razy przywołuje ten sam argument z odrobinie zmienionej formie).
Ostatecznie "Duńczycy. Patent na szczęście" nie
  • The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
  • Scotland
  • Leonardo's Horse
  • Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen
  • The World on a Plate: 40 Cuisines, 100 Recipes, and the Stories Behind Them
  • Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes
  • The Future of Ice: A Journey Into Cold
  • A World Without Bees
  • Miss Emily
  • The Slug
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
Patrick Kingsley is a foreign correspondent for the New York Times, and was previously the Guardian’s inaugural migration correspondent. An award-winning journalist, he has reported from more than twenty-five countries and is the author of THE NEW ODYSSEY and HOW TO BE DANISH.