Start by marking “Conquest (The Chronicles of the Invaders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conquest (The Chronicles of the Invaders, #1)

Conquest (The Chronicles of the Invaders #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,005 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
The Earth has been invaded by the Illyri, a beautiful, civilized, yet ruthless alien race. Humanity has been conquered, but still it fights the invaders. The Resistance grows stronger, for it is the young people of Earth who are best equipped to battle the Illyri.

Syl Hellais, conceived among the stars, is the oldest alien child on Earth, the first to reach sixteen years o
Published February 11th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published September 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Conquest, please sign up.

sh(e)reader I loved The Host, and I really liked this. Two completely different stories, nothing alike, other than they both involve aliens ...

seak
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review, audio, 2014
Apparently aliens are the new vampires and I guess I'm a sucker for aliens because this is the second YA book about aliens I've read in a year's time.

In this one, out of nowhere, a wormhole appears at the end of the solar system. This spells the doom of mankind because an alien race has come to dethrone mankind, thus, Conquest.

Except, while these aliens take over the governments of Earth, they have also brought technology which can not only cure diseases such as cancer, but expand the human lif
Kathylill
This unoriginal story is not for me! The two authors John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard have made so many mistakes, I wonder if this book ever got edited.

Showing vs. telling: especially in the beginning many elements are told instead of shown through character interaction, environments or action. It’s a big conglomerate of info-dumping that could have been avoided or altered to make me immerse into the story. Especially the “Prologue”, a retelling of the alien invasion, is rather boring in that
Milo (BOK)
The Review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/09/....

“An excellent start to a promising new series, whilst the team of Connolly and Ridyard may not bring the most original story to the table, they certainly know how to deliver a fun, compelling read that should keep sci-fi fans entertained. This book is certainly worth checking out.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

"The Earth has been invaded by the Illyri, a beautiful, civilized, yet ruthless alien race. Humanity has been conquered, but s
Vanessa
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sciene-fiction, ya
Syl was the first of the alien Illyri to be born on Earth sixteen years ago after their (mostly) peaceful conquest of the planet. Her father is a diplomat living in Edinburgh, where earthlings persist in fighting off their conquerors, despite bringing peace and advanced medicine to Earth. On her sixteenth birthday Syl sneaks out of the castle to explore the streets, an activity fraught with danger as she soon learns when a café explodes before her eyes.

Paul may only be a teenager, but he's been
Chris
I won a copy of this from the First Reads program on GoodReads.

I love free books. Thank you to the publisher for this advanced reading copy. I wish I liked it more, but here we are.

I gave up 80 pages in. I mean, it took me 8 days to get through 80 pages of a YA novel. Seriously?

I feel there's a good story in here. The writing just doesn't grab me. It doesn't even paw at me. It falls as flat as a cartoon character that a boulder dropped on. Not bad, just extremely non-engaging.

I just have too muc
Liz Barnsley
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookbridgr-books
Highly enjoyable YA adventure involving alien invasion, a resistance, the start of a love story and plenty of action – I found it to be a refreshing and fun read, albeit with an ending that annoyed the heck out of me because now I have to wait to find out what happens next.

With a quick introduction explaining how the aliens arrived on our planet, this is a novel that you can immediately be involved with as we soon move on to meeting our main characters. Syl is the first of her kind to be born on
StarMan
IN BRIEF: I mostly enjoyed this $1 Dollar Tree find. CONQUEST -- book 1 in a YA SF trilogy -- stars a slightly different 16-year-old girl who finds her previously dull but safe life turned inside out, upside down, and slammed in the mud.

Overall, it's a fun tale with some decent twists, and I devoured it in 2 sittings. However, the "conquest" itself is sort of a joke. The aliens here are far too human -- and thus are mostly only mild curiosities, until the latter part of the book.

Q: Was it worth
Arron Cawser
I actually quite liked this book. Considering I had won this in a giveaway I'd say I was lucky in more ways than one. Perhaps I have a weakness for certain YA books :).

The basic plot is that aliens had invaded the Earth some years before and are now ruling over human kind, occupying various countries around the globe. The one thing that I thought might spoil things for me was the exposition at the beginning, detailing the events of the invasion. I felt those were things that could have been reve
Imogen
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20, book-bridgr
The premise of this book is that an alien race similar to humans has gone around the galaxies conquering planets, and decide to conquer Earth. As you can imagine, not a popular decision and there is a Resistance that is constantly trying to get them to go away. That's the base, now imagine a huge amount of other stuff on top like teen romance, robots, witches...
Trying to explain this book simply is a challenge but I really really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the sequel, Empire, that I t
Fantasymundo
A pesar del buen trasfondo de la historia, esta lo pierde todo con sus protagonistas. Lo que vamos descubriendo sobre la cultura ilyria y la conquista de la Tierra junto con otros planetas es lo más interesante del libro. El hecho de que los protagonistas de esta historia sean una adolescente alienígena malcriada y un Seguir leyendo
Kate
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent beginning to a new YA SF series that had me on the edge of my seat. There are some scenes here that made me want to hide behind my chair - great stuff!

Full review http://forwinternights.wordpress.com/...
Fantasy Literature
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Marion and Kat: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fant...
Madana Joy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really promising start, then spirals down into mediocrity.
Jason Pennock
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the Illyri, an alien race that are similar in appearance to humans, but far more beautiful, and with a ruthless streak. Earth has been conquered by the Illyri, but humanity continues to fight.
A resistance has formed on Earth, with the Youth of Earth leading the charge. The aliens have used chemicals to try and make the Earths population more docile, but it has not affected the youth of humanity. As such, they lead the charge.
The story revolves around two main characters, th
Steve Schlutow
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, a-scifi
This was a great book. I was expecting something different when I first sat down to read it, and was disappointed when I didn't get what I expected. It turned out to be a great story. I got what I wanted, because it turned dark, and it had battles like I had hoped. Great book, and I am looking forward to reading Empire.
Kuro Tenshi Butai
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

It started with a wormhole, and the fleet of alien ships that emerged from it defied anything that mankind could ever have imagined. Soon, Earth prepared itself for attack. However, there was no attack, no destruction rained down out of the sky. Instead, technology failed, and society fell apart. Eventually, every government office received the same word on their computers: Surrender. So, with no other choice, they did.

The Illyri had been hiding their tech
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books

Me encanta la ciencia ficción, hay algo en este género por lo cual nunca me canso de leerlo. Siempre debe estar reinventándose para generar la atención del lector, y en esta apuesta juvenil, como bien es Conquista, John Connolly (famosísimo escritor de policial, del cual tengo un par de novelas leídas) y Jennifer Ridyard (que se embarca en la escritura por primera vez) logran un equilibrio perfecto de todos los buenos elementos del género. Me ha gustado muchísimo e
Victoria
John Connolly is, without a doubt, one of my very favorite authors - so much so that I actually asked for this UK edition for Christmas (since it wasn’t due in the US for an additional two months!). This is the first collaborative novel that I have read of his, and though I know little about his writing partner, I admit that initially, I wasn’t completely certain this was the same Connolly responsible for creating the Charlie Parker series or The Book of Lost Things. The book opens with a lot of ...more
Vicky
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book within minutes of reading (which was a relief because the last few books I've read have been mostly duds). The background story is interesting and well thought out, the plot flows well, the characters have cool abilities. I find that the book gets me thinking and keeps me reading.

There were, of course, several weaknesses to this book, which up until ~spoilers~ the end twist ~endspoilers~, had me thinking I would not be reading the sequel. Most of that has to do with the charac
Callum Shephard
The creation of authors John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard, Conquest serves as a more hard-hitting take on humans vs aliens than is customarily given in books targeted at younger audiences. Turning humanity’s own technology against them, an alien force known as the Illyri has complete dominion over Earth. With a generation having passed since their arrival, Paul Kerr and Syl Hellais have grown up witnessing the conflict from opposite sides – both aware of the horrors of occupation, but not the t ...more
Jessica Strider
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, ya
Pros: compelling story, political machinations, minor romantic elements

Cons: slow opening

Conquest takes place roughly 16 years after the Illyri, a race similar to humans, take over the Earth. Syl, conceived among the stars and the first Illyri born on Earth, lives with her father, the governor of Britain and Ireland, in Edinburgh castle. On her 16th birthday she and a friend sneak out of the castle and encounter two human teenagers, members of the Resistance just as a bomb goes off on the Royal
Tammy
When I first received a copy of John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard’s Conquest, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

Books about aliens and alien invasions are certainly no stranger to the science fiction genre, and it certainly seems to be a concept that sells over and over again.

Of course, many will argue that the idea has reached its saturation point, but I think given the right treatment, any book that employs a commonplace fictional model could be as entertaining to read as the novel that’s b
diana marcela Ballestas
Me fascinó este libro. Aunque he leído antes libros del genero sobrenatural, este es mi primer libro de invasión alienígena, me gustó mucho la forma en que el autor plantea la invasión como algo completamente que podría ocurrir mañana y la obvia reacción de la raza humana, porque lo plasma de una forma tan natural que es perfectamente creíble, no se siente forzado en ningún momento.
Me gustó también que, a diferencia de la mayoría de películas sobre extraterrestres o el fin del mundo, no esté amb
Conal
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Conquest was a fun and enjoyable read that for the most part hit the marks that I like in Sci-Fi novels. It has some interesting topics in there even if it does not cover much new ground compared to other works. The characters were well written and detailed though not all of them I liked. Interesting technology, aliens and world building were all present so it kept my interest all the way through. I will be continuing with the series when the next novel arrives in 2015.

3.5/4 stars for the fun st
Judey
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John and his co-author took a nice twist on the story of a world invaded.
What if the invaders were being hunted too?
Throw in a dash of sorcery, some teenagers, a bit of the Mad-Max vibe... and this is a winner.
I was almost disappointed to have it end, but cheered that it is the start of a series.
I look forward to the next book.
Adrielle
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
While I felt underwhelmed to begin with, I dove right on in. There is a massive info dump for the first 100 pages and I hate that. Showing trumps telling anyday. That said, it improves. Not anything near what I've come to expect from my favourite author at all, but it is co authored so I relent, I'll give number 2 a go.
Debby
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Young adult sci-fi with invaders, resistance, and a Scottish twist. I enjoyed this story very much and look forward to reading the rest of the series. It's one of those good guys, bad guys, and other bad guys stories... but I don't want to give too much away.
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
A Huge Thank you To The Guardian for a copy of this book, the review for which can be found here

Arika
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
It had some slow parts to it but had a good story line! I really liked the characters and how it went between their perspectives. Though sometimes it was confusing on who was doing the thinking.
  • TimeBomb (Timebomb Trilogy #1)
  • Where the Rock Splits the Sky
  • Adam Robots
  • Gemsigns (®Evolution, #1)
  • Crash
  • Alien Contact
  • The Castle
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Anarchy (Advent Trilogy #2)
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • The Emperor of all Things (Daniel Quare #1)
  • Hell Ship
  • Mutant City (Mutant City, #1)
  • Torchwood: Ghost Train
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Judge Dredd, Volume 1
  • Losers in Space
  • Goddess
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...

The Chronicles of the Invaders (3 books)
  • Empire (The Chronicles of the Invaders, #2)
  • Dominion (The Chronicles of the Invaders, #3)