Start by marking “Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing” as Want to Read:
Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing

Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The author of the much-admired Tolstoy and the Purple Chair goes on a quest through the history of letters and her own personal correspondence to discover and celebrate what is special about the handwritten letter.

Witty, moving, enlightening, and inspiring, Signed, Sealed, Delivered begins with Nina Sankovitch's discovery of a trove of hundred year- old letters. The letter
Published April 15th 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Signed, Sealed, Delivered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Claire McAlpine
A wonderful and intriguing beginning when the author shares an experience of buying a new house, her children babies, and discovering an old trunk with letters dating back to the late 1800's, which the seller isn't interested in having returned. And through the letters we meet one link in a family which has lived a long time in that house, letters from a son to his mother.

As the author writes this book, a great letter writer herself, her children are now grown and her son about to go to college,
Elizabeth
When I was a kid, I had pen-pals all over the world. I used to love writing letters and I loved the act of placing them in the mailbox and raising the red flag to indicate there was outgoing mail. But what I really loved the most was receiving letters. I was always eager to read the contents so that I could immerse myself in that person's world. I still have one pen-pal from the many I had as a child. Thirty-two years later, we still write to one another.

People don't write letters anymore. And t
Rebecca Foster
“We live in a postpostal age.” I enjoyed Sankovitch’s chronicle of a year of dedicated reading (Tolstoy and the Purple Chair). This, her second book, is a pleasant paean to the lost art of letter-writing. At the time of writing, she had just dropped off her oldest son at Harvard, and she rounds off nearly every chapter by expressing her faint hope that she will receive some letters from him. (“Dream on!” you might wish to say to the poor woman.) Although she acknowledges that e-mails or text mes ...more
Evanston Public  Library
As a chilld of the 60s, I was expected to write letters: thank you notes, bread and butter letters (go ask a 20-something if they know what those are), letters home from college when a long-distance phone call was reserved for catastrophic or highly-exciting-in-a-good-way news, and, my favorites--letters to my pen pal in New Zealand. I don't think I even came close to the expressive, meaningful, entertaining letters that Sankovitch presents in her delightfully written treatise on the art and imp ...more
Gabi Coatsworth
Frankly, I wanted this book to be longer - to include more quotes from letters, particularly the real ones. various sections of the book interested me more that others. I loved the tale of James Seligman and how the author came across his letters in a trunk. The book made me want to start writing again, especially to my children, so I've decided to write them a birthday letter each instead of sending a card. Looking forward to volume 2, please!
Patrick Walsh
On 2nd June 2014 the New York Times published a story entitled "What's Lost as Handwriting Fades" (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/sci...). Having had exchanges with several friends and family members about handwriting, hand-written correspondence, and related matters, I've given this subject a fair amount of thought in recent months.

My very thoughtful wife found Signed, Sealed, Delivered in the local public library and borrowed it for me. I am grateful that she did. This book focuses on the c

Tom Donaghey
SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED by Nina Sankovitch is a love letter in itself. In the span of 200 hundred pages Ms. Sankovitch has managed to evoke the essence of what a hand written letter truly is.
She talks first about the stash of letters found upon buying her home. These, between a mother and a son, tell of a young boy growing up, on into college and into his real life. Never meant for any person but the one written to, these letters transcend the ages while revealing a great deal about there t
Mary Kenyon
As an avid letter-writer myself, of course I loved this book. Nina makes me wish I had kept all the letters I've ever gotten, but my friend Mary's letters would have filled several trunks alone. Loved this book!
Stephanie
Enjoyable. And includes Iowa State University's letter of Jack Trice!

But I wanted more... I wanted a letter. (xiii)

Even if those people are gone, the bind endures through the tokens of connection we passed back and forth, the written manifestation of our relationship (22)

The parts of their lives that Shields and Howard did share with each other were those parts especially chosen, one for the other, and very specially communicated. By letter. (64)

It is the distance between them that allows her t
Iva
Letter writing is dying fast and Sankovitch has written a fitting and entertaining tribute. She discovered some fascinating correspondence in a trunk buried in the yard of a home she purchased. This led to doing research on other letters that interested her. She found love letters as well as letters from soldiers, her own letters and those of family members and even letters in epistolary novels. I sometimes wanted longer excerpts of what she shared, but excellent background and a complete biblio ...more
Robbins Library
Part memoir and part history of letters, Signed, Sealed, Delivered is a lovely, light book, less in-depth than Simon Garfield's To The Letter, but equally (if not more) enjoyable. The author writes about a cache of letters she found in a trunk when her family bought a house in New York, mostly from a young man to his mother; she also writes about her correspondence with her children, especially her oldest son, who has just gone off to college. For those who have even the faintest interest in or ...more
Elaine Ruth Boe
SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED has renewed my interest in letter writing. I want to send letters home from college now, not just texts and phone calls. I have two high school friends who I write letters to while in school, and my mom sends weekly notes to me and my four closest high school friends. But I want to do more, to write long letters that I'll want to look back at years from now.

A mix of Sankovitch's personal journey with letters and the history of letter writing and famous letter writers, t
Jamie Crosby
This book was not what I had expected. I honestly though that this would be full of sediment and with lack of interesting facts. But I was as far from the truth as I could have been. Every chapter had at least two historical stories supporting why letter writing was and is a treasured item and past time. These stories include how Jack the Ripper’s letters to the enforcement were analyzed to compare the handwriting but were never prohibited in the court room, to condolence letters to President Li ...more
Peggy
I really enjoyed this book, so much so, that immediately borrowed the author's earlier book (Tolstoy and the Purple Chair) from the library. Sankovich ponders the importance of handwritten letters, which is quickly becoming a lost art. She explores letters written throughout history, everything from ancient Egypt, Abraham Lincoln's letter of condolence to a mother who lost five sons in the Civil War, letters written by soldiers, authors, and everything in-between. Sankovich tells us that letters ...more
Bertha
Do you like to write letters? Do you love to read old letters? Then I recommend Nina Sankovitch's new book "Signed, Sealed, Delivered". Nina's book is about the history of letter writing from ancient egyptians, to medieval lovers, to the letters President Lincoln received after his son's death, to present day tv shows that include letters in their story line.
Stephanie
I found Nina's book a wonderful tribute to the joys of writing and receiving letters. During and after reading, I went back and looked through treasured letters that I have received from people I love. It made me so glad that my sentimentality in saving these letters won out over my practicality of cleaning out unwanted things.
Rachel
This book remained me of why I miss writing snail mail letters. Nicely done and worth reading for anyone who wants to be reminded of why words on real paper can be so precious.
Patricia
Being a fan of Nina Sankovitch and her book Tolstoy and the Purple chair, I preordered Signed, Sealed and Delivered. The book arrived in the middle of a late April snowstorm that had made me scream, enough already as I skidded towards the mailbox. The happy delivery of this book changed my mood immediately. I had no choice but to pour a cup of tea and sit on the sofa to begin reading this celebration of letter writing.
I learned the importance of "time between the letters", time where news was ma
Sanju
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Monica
I am not a big letter writer nor am I a sentimental person, so I am sure that colors my opinion of this book. I loved the premise of it and thought it would evoke a cozy feeling while reading it, maybe even spark my interest in preserving momentos for the future. While a few of the stories were interesting, ultimately I found it to I be, as a whole, boring.
Debbie Stone
Loved her passion and love for letters and letter writing. She quoted from many famous letter writers both living and dead, which opened my eyes to all kinds of new people to read about---thru their letters of course.
Lydia
The lovely letter, celebrated beautifully. Very interesting read. Check out my full review at www.compassbookratings.com
Diane
A wonderful trip down memory lane! More on http://bookwinked.wordpress.com
Tracy Alan Hughes
We have definitely lost something in this new age of instant information, public narcissism, and the philosophy of now. The lost art of letter writing. That anticipation of receiving a reply to one’s correspondence while still going about the daily acts of living a full life instead of being chained to an electronic device. I’ve never been much of a letter writer but after reading this I do wish I had held on to more of the responses when I did. When you’re gone, letters are your personal biogra ...more
Jenna
This was interesting in that I love the old language of letter writing. However, I didn't really understand how the book was organized beyond "here are some people's letters to each other. Here are some other people's letters to each other!" enjoyable and easy to read in small snippets, but probably not one I'll be coming back to.
Prairiesue
If you have squirrelled away treasured letters, cards or hand-drawn pictures given to you by someone special, then you will definitely enjoy this book. I guarantee you will want to get some special stationery and write a letter to someone special in your life after reading this book.
Bibliovixen
This was light, quick reading.

I was disappointed that in the epistlatory novel section that one of the other best known books, "Les Liaisons dangereuses" by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos, (first published in four volumes by Durand Neveu, March 23, 1782) was not included.
Krystal
I liked the beginning, until it meandered in a bunch of weird directions sprinkled with random letter writing/writer factoids.
Kati
Enjoyed the first two-thirds and then was bored...but it made me glad that I still send letters--by post!
Lucy
Very thoughtful and encouraged me to pull out a pen and write a few letters.
  • To the Letter: A Celebration of the Lost Art of Letter Writing
  • The Letters of John and Abigail Adams
  • Out of Peel Tree
  • Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life
  • Shards: A Young Vice Cop Investigates Her Darkest Case of Meth Addiction—Her Own
  • Fighting for Life
  • Secrets of Simplicity
  • Out of the Woods: A Memoir of Wayfinding
  • Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers
  • The Madame Curie Complex: The Hidden History of Women in Science
  • Letters to a Friend
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
  • Sew Retro: 25 Vintage-Inspired Projects for the Modern Girl & A Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution
  • Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget
  • The Face of War
  • Sylvia, Queen of the Headhunters: An Eccentric Englishwoman and Her Lost Kingdom
  • Making Hope Happen: Create the Future You Want for Yourself and Others
  • For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing
Nina Sankovitch has written two books of non-fiction. The first, her memoir of a life of reading, entitled Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, came out in 2011. Tolstoy and the Purple Chair not only tells the story of Nina's life of reading but of how books helped her to cope with the death of her oldest sister. Described as a must-read by Oprah Magazine and hailed as an outstanding debut by Kirkus Revi ...more
More about Nina Sankovitch...
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading