Start by marking “King of Bad (Super Villain Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
King of Bad (Super Villain Academy #1)

King of Bad

(Super Villain Academy #1)

Jeff Mean would rather set fires than follow rules or observe curfew. He wears his bad boy image like a favorite old hoodie; that is until he learns he has superpowers and is recruited by Super Villain Academy – where you learn to be good at being bad. In a school where one kid can evaporate all the water from your body and the girl you hang around with can perform psychic ...more
Published July 1st 2013 by Whiskey Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about King of Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of Bad

Start your review of King of Bad (Super Villain Academy #1)
S.A. Larsen
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The angst of teenage rebel-dom sparked with the underlining thread of doing good.

Jeff is quite the dare devil. He likes the thrill of a good chase and the thought of getting caught, while doing something he shouldn't. Repeat: the thought of getting caught. It's mental adrenalin to his already overactive brain and physicality. He feeds on that high. And there's a reason.

It isn't far into the story that Jeff discovers he's different. That fact that he can start fires with his hands was definitely
Christine Rains
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jeff Mean is a teenage bad boy with secret superpowers. Secret until he is scouted and recruited by Super Villain Academy. It's tougher to be bad than he thought, and Jeff wonders if he is good enough to be a Super Villain. Or rather, if he's too good to be bad. When he learns the truth of who he really is, he must decide where he fits in the super world.

This YA superhero tale is fun and original. I liked getting to see inside a school for super villains. Even more so, I loved the unfolding of l
Jenifer Gordon harris
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
King of Bad sucks you in from the start and doesn't let you go. All of the Super Villains have such unique pesonalities that they make you want too know more about them. Kai Strand make it really seem possible that Supers exist in our world today. I know if I could have a super power it would definitely have to be transformation! I would want to be able to turn into anything. the situating called for. We have all said at one time or another "I would loved to have been a fly on the wall". Great f ...more
Dalene
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2013
First, I would like to thank the author Kai Strand for giving me this book for an honest review. I liked the characters, they are well developed and fun to read. The story line was a nice chance of pace. I really had fun reading this book and look for more from this author.
Coyora Dokusho
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, it was awesome! And then the ending sucked!!! Leaving only disgruntlement and desire to slap... everyone, ever, in the entire world, and also... WHY!!! Why would you ruin your awesome book... whyyyyyyyyyyyy >.<

seriously

Anyway! I'm on a super hero kick, so, yay more of that!
Barbara Rich
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love young adult fiction and this was a fun ride! A clever concept and engaging execution...made me want to read the next in the series.
Krista Ivy
A good solid read that leaves you wanting more while still having a proper ending to it. The characters are just the right mix between real and caricature that the book works without becoming a complete satire. A super hero book that doesn't feel like it's taking from the comics, but is doing its own thing. The lead couldn't be more interesting being so balanced between good and bad.
Heather
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

This book has been on my TBR (to be read) list for awhile. It sounded very intriguing, so when I was offered the chance to review it, I automatically said yes. Luckily, the book didn't disappoint.

I think the title is an excellent fit for this book. Even Jeff's sister refers to him as the king of bad at one point. It's also an ironic fit for Jeff as we soon discover. (And don't worry, that wasn't a spoil
RoloPoloBookBlog
King of Bad by Kai Strand
Book #1: Super Villain Academy
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Jeff Mean really enjoys starting fires. Oh, he doesn’t do it to burn things down or cause harm to anyone – he’s polite like that – but to watch the flames grow and burn out. On some level, Jeff knows his pyrotechnics are wrong but he just can’t seem to stop himself. Additionally, he’s never been caught so why give up what he feels compelled to do?

And then, there’s the day fire explodes from his
Beverly McClure
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a bad boy who likes to start fires. Add a school for Super Villains. Mix in a family secret. Stir, and you have a delightful story that will have you laughing and crying and falling in love with the characters and the situations they find themselves in.

Award winning author Kai Strand has written another winner. KING OF BAD, fantasy for YA, is the story of Jeff Mean, a typical sixteen-year-old boy who attracts trouble, constantly thinks of girls, and doesn’t understand his parents at all. Oh
Whitneys
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Medeia Sharif
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jeff is a bad boy. Not just that, but he’s a bad boy who has the ability to start fires. Uh-oh. An organization named Super Villain Academy recruits him. Jeff is surrounded by those who have different abilities…and they’re bad kids, too. Things get real interesting with girl issues, family secrets, and the dynamics of the academy.

The characters and setting were interesting in this fantasy/paranormal novel. The idea of the academy and the members' abilities is brilliant and wonderfully executed b
Margaret
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book! I was so sad when it was over and now I have to wait for this book to come out before the second book can come out! So not fair!! XD (make any sense?) I would like to thank goodreads anyway because if it weren't for them I wouldn't have won this book. I would also like to thank the author who sent a letter along with the book to congratulate me. Sweet of her! (Even if she sends it to all of the winners...Oh well!)
I really enjoyed the book and hope (once it comes out) that
Mary Waibel
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Living up to his name, Jeff Mean is trouble personified. It's no surprise he'd be courted by a school for Super Villains. And once he gets there, the real fun starts.

Kai Strand does an incredible job exploring the world of super villains and reminding us that one bad apple is not the same as another.

A great story about living up to your potential goodness or, in Jeff's case, badness, and the power of friends.
Roxanne
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, young-adult, ebook
I wish there were more superhero novels out there because they're always so much fun. King of Bad was really cheesy but cool in its own way. It was a light read that got better and better as it went on; the author threw in a few twists with the main character, too. I can't wait for the sequel to come out!
Jamie
Mar 31, 2014
Luke
Sep 09, 2013
Kai Strand
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Dragon4
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David Estes Fans ...: King of Bad Giveaway 3 11 Sep 15, 2014 08:35AM
TWO tours - win $25 gc each tour! 1 1 Dec 01, 2013 10:30PM
#1 Bestseller Giveaway! 1 3 Sep 03, 2013 12:00PM

• Someday I'll Be Redeemed
  • Sanctuary from the Dead (Books of the Dead #1)
  • Lord of the Dead (Books of the Dead #2)
  • Omega Zero (Omega Metahumans, #2)
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Dead Is All You Get (The Dead Series #2)
  • Omega Squad (Omega Metahumans, #1)
  • Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)
  • Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim, #7)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
Thanks for your interest in my books and me. I love talking books with readers and hope you’ll share your thoughts on my books by leaving a review and/or dropping me an email. It’s easiest to get a hold of me through my website (kaistrand.com). Perhaps you clicked on my bio to find out things about me, such as I hate to handle raw meat, I’m a wife and mother of four, a compulsive walker, and a Moz ...more

Super Villain Academy (3 books)
  • Polar Opposites (Super Villian Academy, #2)
  • Super Bad (Super Villain Academy, #3)

News & Interviews

“There was something compelling about a man who refused to wear pants in winter.” 1 likes