Start by marking “From Outrage to Courage: The Unjust and Unhealthy Situation of Women in Poor Countries and What They Are Doing About It” as Want to Read:

From sex-selective abortions to millions of girls who are "disappeared," from 90 million girls who do not go to school to HIV/AIDS spreading fastest among adolescent girls, women face unique health challenges, writes Anne Firth Murray. In this searing cradle-to-grave review, Murray tackles health issues from prenatal care to challenges faced by aging women. Looking at how

Published September 1st 2008 by Common Courage Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about From Outrage to Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Outrage to Courage

Start your review of From Outrage to Courage: The Unjust and Unhealthy Situation of Women in Poor Countries and What They Are Doing About It
Oriana
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Amazing and heartbreaking. This book details all of the insane and horrific monstrosities being perpetrated internationally upon women, from child prostitution to genital mutilation to poverty and starvation. The most amazing thing, though, is that the book is peppered throughout with profiles of these incredible women's groups that are coming together, in the worst conditions in the worst countries, to try to make their lives, and the lives of others, better. It's devastating and intensely hope ...more
Mandy
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this for an online class about global women's health taught by the author. A comprehensive introduction to the health issues women around the world face each day. Eye-opening.
Meghana
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I had to read it for an online course taught by the author at Stanford University, and it's been a life-changing, paradigm-shifting read for me. It's THAT kind of book.

Murray is a woman of tremendous knowledge and compassion, who's channeled decades of experience and research into her hard-hitting work. I loved how the chapters focused on each period of a woman's life, from childhood to adolescence to maternity and finally to old age. Each chapter
Ali
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's like she thought of every critique I could make about a feminist book, and addressed it in exactly the right way.
Woodall
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
I took many notes while reading this book. It has opened my eyes to the atrocities occurring in our world against women. It has also made me realize and begin to question my own values and others' values of my worth as a women in our society. Murray has painted a very vivid picture – to provide assistance where help is needed and in turn teach courage, strength, and most of all, self-worth. We have differences and we are unique. Yet, we share common experiences, dreams, and expectations. We need ...more
Naomi
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely not as compelling of a read as 'Half the Sky' given that it's more statistic-laden and academic in voice (it took me 8 months to get through it). But I was particularly struck by the profiles provided on grass-roots groups of women who are standing up and making changes in their own countries and cultures. That recognition of self-worth is powerful stuff. Seen within a worldwide and throughout-time perspective, I am baffled by how lucky I am for my circumstances and knowledge.
Feisty Harriet
There were a lot of really heartbreaking pieces in this book about the plight of women around the world backed up with some pretty serious statistics. That being said, it was not as compelling for me as Half the Sky, not even close (it took me about 6 months to finish this book...well, 2 weeks on, and then 5 months off, and then another 10 days or so).
Karen
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not the most fun stuff to learn about. Nevertheless, it is important information about the plight of many, or most, of the women in the world.
Mylinda
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: human-rights
I started reading this book after I saw a photography exhibit entitled "Beloved Daughters" at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. That exhibit talked about the women and girls in India and their struggles. This book talks about the global issues that affect women. While the "blurbs" on different organizations are informative, I found that they could disrupt the flow of the overall narrative. After a while I skipped the blurbs altogether. Very good book to follow up my experience at t ...more
Xinh
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only read the first chapter, but did hear about it in my book club.

It's a comprehensive overview of women's issues, particularly related to their health and wellness, around the world. It's also supposed to be depressing to read.

I would recommend it to anyone who has even a slight interest in poverty or women's issues, because it does bring together so many facts about violence and discrimination against women in so many places.
Chelsea Taylor
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening text, so much that I have enrolled in grad school in order to try and make a difference in women's rights internationally. I would recommend every college and university have this text available for their students in order to gain a better understanding of the inequality and violation of women's rights.
Cristina
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leí este libro para un curso online que oferta la Universidad de Stanford sobre Derechos y Salud de la mujer y me ha encantado. La autora nos muestra una visión completa, apasionante, congruente, crítica y sensible de la situación de la mujer en diversas partes del mundo.

Maravillosamente argumentado y con una profunda investigación detrás.

100% recomendado.
Janine
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Amazing book by an amazing author! Eye opening and life changing. The statistics were shocking, personal stories heartbreaking, yet there is hope written in these pages of women's groups coming together to change the world.
Matt Gosney
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read it as part of the free online course on Coursera - International Women's Health and Human Rights. Opened my mind up to some of the overlooked issues facing women and overall a thoughtful calm read while tackling tough topics.
Denise
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A MUST read. Anne Firth Murray outlines the challenges and triumphs of women around the world fighting for human rights.
Nicole
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A must read if you are interested in knowing the situation of women around the world. It summarises everything. I loved it. Full review to come.
Christa
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book about womens rights and health.
Teri Temme
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. Overwhelming. Learn more at http://www.internationalwomenshealth..... ...more
Brenda
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So far it's a page turner. like Half the Sky.
Lauren
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must-read
Aisha
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish there were less preachy moral phrases like "right thing to do", "putting justice in center" which make previous awsome sentences sound less meaningful to me. Justice and rigt things are not same to everyone (otherwise there would not be an issue with gender inequality), and I guess for person with anti-fem position reading this book and assuming everything is good with women, it will be completely useless and will prevent him from changing opinion.
But for sure, for its main audience, eve
Bente
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educatief
What I appreciated about this book was that it was written from a human rights perspective. We have a tendency to include other benefits, such as economic prosperity, in our spiel for strengthening the position of women. But what if improving their position leads to reduced economic prosperity? By bringing it down to human rights we look at women's rights through a lense of what is their prerogative as human beings, irrespective of what this might provide to society.
Reading this book, I felt ov
Nadja
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Daily Rituals: How Artists Work
  • My Tender Matador
  • Black and British: A Forgotten History
  • La Galatea (Letras Hispanicas)
  • The Fate of Food: What We'll Eat in a Bigger, Hotter, Smarter World
  • Discontent and Its Civilizations: Dispatches from Lahore, New York, and London
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: Diplomacy at Work, All-New Third Edition of the Essential Guide to the Foreign Service
  • Gospođa ministarka
  • Hajduci
  • Sumnjivo lice
  • Orlovi rano lete (Pionirska trilogija, #1)
  • Prokleta avlija
  • Rani jadi
  • La nada cotidiana
  • The Tiny Book of Tiny Pleasures
  • The Female Circumcision Controversy: An Anthropological Perspective
  • Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
Anne Firth Murray is an activist, author, nonprofit founder and teacher at Stanford University. Murray is the founding president of the Global Fund for Women, which raises and gives away money to groups around the world supporting women's human rights. She founded the organization in 1987 and continued to act as president until 1996.

She previously led philanthropic efforts on population and enviro