Start by marking “Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)

Ex-Purgatory

(Ex-Heroes #4)

When hes awake, George Bailey is just an ordinary man. Five days a week he coaxes his old Hyundai to life, curses the Los Angeles traffic, and clocks in at his job as a handyman at the local college.

But when he sleeps, George dreams of something more.

George dreams of flying. He dreams of fighting monsters. He dreams of a man made of pure lightning, an armored robot, a
Published January 14th 2014 by Broadway Books (first published December 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ex-Purgatory, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charles <spoiler>The reveal on Stealth's father has been hinted for the last two books. Cairax, starts it, by revealing her Daddy Issues in the final…more<spoiler>The reveal on Stealth's father has been hinted for the last two books. Cairax, starts it, by revealing her Daddy Issues in the final battle of Ex-Communication. In this book, there is a capsule summary that explains him to be, an evil, James Bond character. He's an assassin, wanted criminal who late in life decides his daughter must die. I get the impression he's a white man, or maybe middle-eastern. There is no mention of Stealth's mother, who we might assume is an American a woman of color.</spoiler>(less)

Start your review of Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)
Ash Wednesday
"This one's going to sound really weird."

3 STARS

And because this is a Peter Clines book, Barry qualifies this as "first-season LOST-level weirdness" when, if I'm being strict about it, the more accurate analogy would be season 3.

I was actually enjoying this installment in this highly entertaining series up to a certain point when the homages just reached critical mass that the story collapsed in itself for me. While I appreciate the creative though, let's face it, derivative storytelling (I
Gavin
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another fun outing in Peter Clines Ex-Heroes series. I like the fact that we get a nice blend of action and humor. The cool superhero stuff and the chronic threat of the Ex-Humans' (zombies) also keep things interesting.

The story had the feel of a standalone episode in a fun TV show. Our superheroes found themselves trapped in an alternate world where they had no powers and the Ex-Human epidemic had never occurred. Only Madeleine(Corpse Girl) is aware that all is not as it should be and
Jocelyn
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i havnt read this book when i rated it five stars, but neither did the guy who rated it 1 and I thought I should try to even it out.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Ex-Purgatory is different from the other Ex-Heroes series in that this is the first book that is more of a mystery than zombie/apocalypse/bad guy book. It takes dip in the Twilight Zone and the Tales from the Crypt Pool and I hate to keep saying LOST in my review of Peter Clines but really there is no other better comparison except perhaps the Matrix.

How is it that no matter whats happening you can relate it to the Matrix? asked St. George.
Because it is the greatest movie ever made, said Barry
J Voytus
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Marcus
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time to start wrapping this series up.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed this series and have burned through every book in the series. Part of the reason is my love of the superhero mythos coupled with the current zombie craze. But you can only drag out a series so long before it begins to get a bit stale. Ex-purgatory is an example of this.

It's more than slightly derivative and even compares itself to the books/tv shows/movies it borrows from. But the derivative feel isn't my main
Mihir
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Peter Clines has to be admired, after three titles in the Ex series, he still knows how to keep this series fresh. I was a little skeptical as to how he would go ahead with this story considering the events of the last book but the blurb of the book was simply irresistible. It seemed to be taking the series in a new direction and I was curious to see where the author was taking the series and characters.

With this fourth volume, we begin in a
C.T. Phipps

3.5/5

Ex-Purgatory is the fourth novel in the popular Ex-Heroes series. It's been fun watching the survivors of a comic book universe deal with a zombie apocalypse and try to slowly rebuild civilization. Likewise, it's been nice seeing a lot of classic comic book plots reinterpreted for a post-apocalyptic zombie-filled world. The premiseis a reinterpretation of the classic Superman plot by Alan Moore, "For The Man Who Has Everything." Basically, that
Joseph
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received my giveaway copy on 12/4/13 and finished the same day, I could not put that thing down. At first the book is a little loopy, throwing you off. But then like the characters, things start to piece themselves together and you come up with your own still developing theories. For me though things just escalated quickly on page 94 and that's all i'm saying.
Hd DeLeon
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read yet either, 1 star review guy irritated me. I've rated the previous books 4 or 5 so I'm pretty confidant I'll like #4.
Patrick D'Orazio
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-Purgatory is the fourth book in Peter Clines Ex series. For those who havent read at least the first and second books in the series, Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots, I would strongly suggest you read those books first. In some ways, this book will still make sense even if you havent because the author does an excellent job of introducing and developing his characters. So even if you dont know them already they will stick with you. With that said the payoff with this tale will not resonate as well ...more
David
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ninja supermodels, janitorial supermen, and undead paraplegics in the Matrix
The fourth book in Peter Clines's superhero/zombie apocalypse series at first made me think he'd run out of ideas and so was writing a prequel novel. George Bailey, formerly known as the Mighty Dragon and then Saint George, is now a mundane janitor in a pre-zombie apocalypse L.A.?

Things are not what they seem. It may be a bit spoilery, but we've already seen supervillains in this series who can mess with your head, so just think of movies like the Matrix and Inception. Barry (aka "Zap"), the
Osiris Brackhaus
While the setting and characters are still as entertaining as in the previous books, this one contains too many fillers. After a while, especially the detailed combat scenes started grating on my nerves, and made me want to skip a few pages.
The 'meaty' moments and the interaction of the various heroes are still top notch, never the less.
Mike
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Peter Clines Ex-Heroes has quickly become one my favorite series in recent years. In fact, it is just about the only zombie-related series Im currently reading or listening to. The Ex-Heroes series takes place in a world ravaged by a tide of undead (referred to in the series as ex-humans) where the last vestiges of humanity in the Los Angeles area are defended by a group of superheroes. Throughout the series Clines has done an excellent job of creating heroes who feel similar to more familiar ...more
Travis Starnes
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-Purgatory starts you in the middle of a story already in progress with characters you should already know but who dont seem to know themselves. If you have read the previous volumes in this series then this book has an interesting opening that should keep you riveted. If, like me, this is your entrance into the series then you will spend the first 30% of the book trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

To be fair this clearly was not intended to be a place for new readers to pick up
Nay
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zombies meet superheroes in this apocalyptic romp through Los Angeles. Another great addition to the Ex- series by Peter Clines. We left the heroes at the end of Ex-Communication, after they had beaten Cairax Murrain, the demon zombie brought to life by sorcerer Max Hale. In the opening of Ex-Purgatory however, we meet university caretaker George Bailey, living out his day to day life in zombie free LA. But why is he having mysterious dreams that feel like reality, why do people on campus have ...more
Trae Brookins
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4.5 stars. Cline's Ex- series continues to thrill. Zombies can get boring...Walking Dead (the comics) just seems to be shambling on. I'll admit that one volume of Marvel Zombies was enough--but Cline's mix of Zombie/superhero action remains refreshing and just damned fun. With each novel he's done something a little different. So far, occult horror, nanotechnology, mind-control, genetic engineering...and probably a few others that I'm forgetting have entered into the mix. (My great hope is that ...more
Charles McDougald
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much! When I received a surprise of an advance readers copy of this book I was stoked. I read it in less than three days which for me is quite a feat. It did not disappoint. Only problem with getting it early is now I have to wait just that much longer for the next installment.
Eric
The Ex-Heroes gang Ex-spend a little Ex-time in Ex-purgatory. That's not an Ex-spoiler, man. It's right there in the Ex-book's Ex-title.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2014/02/17...

Jonathan Yanez
This is the first book in the series I didn't love. I felt like there was filler in the text for the sake of word count instead of progressing the story.
Kenneth Geary
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite in the series but still a good read.
Lil
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and was totally digging this book for the first part, but then it got pretty repetitive and draggy. Not sure if I'll pick up the 5th book.
Karissa
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a copy of this book to review through NetGalley. Thanks to Broadway Books and NetGalley for a chance to read this book. This is the 4th book in the Ex-Heroes series. I enjoyed this book, it took a different direction than some of the other books in the series and was an intriguing read.

George Bailey is a normal handyman who struggles to make ends meet, and when he sleeps he dreams of zombies and of being a superhero. Corpse Girl remembers that this isnt the world she is supposed to be part
Alberto
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads and was excited to receive an early copy since I've already read the three proceeding books and do consider myself a Peter Clines fan.

Ex-Purgatory is a fantastic entry in an already great series. The author has decided to shake things up by abandoning the nonstop action of book two and three and instead has crafted a book that will have you wondering along with the characters and trying to figure out just what is happening in George's
Julie
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really love this series, and I have admiration for Clines as a writer. I'll be following any other books that come after.

I have listened to these as audiobooks, and I must point out that they have been great entertainment. Khristine Hvam has been doing the female voices for books 1-3. On this one, it was all Jay Snyder. Making all the voices by one person really brought home how consistently the characters are written. Stealth is still Stealth even if her dialogue is now being spoken by a man. I
Chris
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Eh.

I loved the last three books, I really did, but this one was horribly slow and really didn't have me flipping pages like the other three did.
Found myself more than once annoyed at the characters and their decisions, which I hadn't really before, but I've also been away from the story for a while.

Read if interested to continue the story but know it really doesn't add as much as the previous ones did. It felt more like a one shot than anything else.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Another series finale. Sweet. I wrapped up two series this month. This series is just good, dumb fun. A mashup that really shouldn't work, but somehow does.

Truthfully, I think this fourth and final book in the series should have been book three or the author should've stopped at book three. While it was a good listen the stakes seemed lower than they were in the last book.
Kdawg91
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of this series, If there are two current authors that should be snatched up by Marvel or DC comics to write superheroes it's Mr. Clines and Myke Cole.

Ex-Purgatory continues the series of kick ass adventures and it is well worth your money and your time. Do NOT jump in with this book, start at the beginning!! I haven't steered you wrong yet have I? (don't answer that)
Leslie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it was nice to visit with some of my favorite characters, I prefer the other books in the series to this one. This whole book comes across as kind of a flashback, and I find that irritating. So essentially it felt to me like a whole book where nothing happened - no forward progress was made. That said, I have a bias against any flashback/review type of stories, so YMMV.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Rise of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #3)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Behind Distant Stars (The Chronicles of Fid #2)
  • Two Necromancers, a Dwarf Kingdom, and a Sky City (The Unconventional Heroes #4)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Monster Whisperer (The Monster Whisperer #1)
  • Plague of the Dead (Morningstar Strain #1)
  • Seven Wonders
  • The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Starfall (The Chronicles of Fid #3)
  • Siege Tactics (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #4)
  • The Wicked Dead (The Tome of Bill, #7)
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and

Ex-Heroes (5 books)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)
  • Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)
  • Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)

News & Interviews

“Your voice is familiar,” said Barry. “I couldn’t place it and then I realized you sound like the guy in my dreams. Which sounds very different than I intended out loud.” 5 likes
“Once she had fired the pistol,” Stealth continued, “she was no longer a potential threat, but an actual one. Smith had not ordered me to deal with actual threats.” 2 likes