Start by marking “How to Babysit a Grandma” as Want to Read:
How to Babysit a Grandma

How to Babysit a Grandma

This Mother's Day, celebrate the special bond between grandmas and grandkids in this delightful New York Times bestseller that puts the kids in charge of taking care of Grandma...if just for one day.

Published March 25th 2014 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

Shiloah
Read aloud at Barnes and Noble. Loved it!
Leahsaur
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book may help children bond greater with their grandparents. It gives full responsibility to the child and offers countless activities children can do with their grandparents that involve all physical ability. There isn't any dialogue that goes on between the child and the elder, but it shows a lot of expression on the characters' faces when the child takes the lead and shows their grandmother love. I think this is important as sometimes dialogue can in reality be difficult especially if a ...more
Emily Drake

Publisher: Knopf Books for young readers
Date: 2014
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 32

Summary:

This story is written from the perspective a young girl. Instead of her grandma babysitting her, she has decided to be the babysitter for her grandma. This book is written as a how to book. The little girl talks about all the activities you can do with your grandma to keep her busy. You can go to
Kimberly Bower MLIS (gladeslibrarian)
As a young babysitter you know that grandmas need special care and attention, especially when there are sleepovers involved. You've got to keep them busy! First, you need to include all of the not-to-be-missed things to do at the park. Later, you will want to let your grandma choose some of the grandma-friendly crafts. Dinner can be tricky. Look for tips in this book on making the meal appetizing and delicious. Once your grandma is all tuckered out, help her choose the best spot to sleep. Don't ...more
Rika Diephouse
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book.

Surprise your grandma by babysitting for her. Grandmas love to have fun with their grandkids. This is a very good book.
Phyllis
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I'm sure you can imagine all of the fun things that happen when a granddaughter comes to babysit her grandma.
Nancy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Thought I might pick up some pointers on how to be babysat :) Delightful book.
Elsa
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Very cute.
Ben Truong
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to Babysit a Grandma is a children's picture book written by Jean Reagan and illustrated by Lee Wildish, which tells a story about points and tips on how to babysit one's grandmother. Today is Grandparents' Day (9 September 2018) – at least it is in my part of the world, so I thought it would be apropos to read this book.

Reagan's text is rather simple and straightforward. It is a story about how to entertain one's grandmother when one babysits her. It is a humorous tale that begins by being
Sunah Chung
This book is about how to keep your grandmother busy when you babysit her. A little girl went to her grandmother's house for a sleepover. She had plans to keep her grandmother busy, and had fun doing various things together with her. The granddaughter expressed her affections by her gestures, like hugging her grandmother before she left her grandmother's house.
The efforts of the girl to keep her grandmother happy were lovely and poignant. As a grandmother takes care of her granddaughter with af
Amy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary:
Mom and Dad drop off a little girl at her Grandma’s house. She is there to babysit her grandma and spend the night. The little girl goes thorugh a step-by-step list of all the things you need to do when babysitting a grandma. She includes instructions on the types of food to eat, what you should play with a grandma, and how to tuck her into bed. The book is a clever point-of-view shift to that of the little girl who thinks she is really there to watch her grandma for a night. This book i
Molly
Nov 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: ted-2360
In this book, the audience will read about all the things the grand-daughter has planned during her time with grandma. Roles are reversed and the young girl is in charge of “babysitting” her grandma and planning all kinds of activities to keep her occupied such as: playing at the park and reminding grandma to pump her legs on the swings, making all kinds foods with sprinkles, and star gazing at night. This is a heart-warming book that kids will love.
Activity: Ask students, if they could “babysit
Marissa Briggs
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a little girl who goes to visit her grandma. While visiting she says she is babysitting her grandma. Throughout the book she gives the reader tips and tricks on how to babysit a grandma. These are from things to do to where to sleep at night.

The overall theme for this book is responsibility. The little girl is being very responsible while taking care of her grandma.

While reading this it made me feel happy to see how excited the little girl is to see her grandma and be with
Kanaea King
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A contemporary realistic fiction story about how to take care of your grandma. This book could be a cute gift for grandmothers of all ages. The intended audience is K-3. The story is about a grandmother who is spending quality time with her grandchild. They go through a series of events which are pictured to look super fun and enticing. This is a story of family and love. There is no dialogue but the characters look happy. I do not know if I would use this book in a classroom setting. It is a fu ...more
Hailey Wolfe
When you babysit a grandma, if you're lucky, you'll have a sleepover at her house! And with the useful tips found in this book, you're guaranteed to become an expert grandma-sitter in no time. (Be sure to check out the sections on: How to keep a grandma busy; Things to do at the park; Possible places to sleep, and what to do once you're both tucked in for the night.)

Activity
Go around the room and share why family is important to you. Do you and your grandparents do fun things together, if so wha
Sophie Klockow
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-438
Summary: This is a funny, cute, and sweet book that shows the roles reverse about a child "babysitting" their grandma instead of grandma babysitting the child.
Connections: It mentions the importance of making sure grandma does not go hungry by feeding her lots of cookies and I always remember by grandma making sure I was well fed.
How you would use it: I may not use this specific book in my own classroom, but hopefully with my own future children someday.
Subject heading: Babysitters--Juvenile fic
Megan Hanna
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary
This fun and silly "How To" book gives great advice on how you can babysit your own grandma! Follow these tips and tricks and you could become an expert grandma-sitter in no time! But what are the tips you may ask? Well lets just say some may include possible things you could do at the park, what to play, and if you're having a sleepover, where you could sleep.

Activity
Before reading this book, brainstorm ideas on how you would babysit your own grandma when going over to her house. Then
Colleen
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and its sister book How to Babysit a Grandpa, but my biggest complaint is that this one has a girl with her grandma, and a boy with his grandpa for the other. I feel like there could have been a better representation - maybe have a brother and sister? Everything girly is with Grandma, and everything "boyish" is with Grandpa. For such a cute series, just wish it was more applicable to people's situations. (Obviously, I don't have girls. And I know many parents that do h ...more
Kelsey Schense
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
This book is a how-to guide, full of tips and activities, for babysitting your grandma. With sections on "What to do at the park,” “How to play with grandma,” and “Places to sleep,” you are sure to be a grandma-sitting expert in no time.

Activity:
An activity for grandparent’s day: think of some of the activities that you love doing with your grandparents. Then write a thank you letter to them mentioning the activities you enjoy doing with them, and why they are special to you.

Citation:
Re
Mrs. Downs
E REA

GR:
Lexile:

Ever wonder how you would babysit your grandma? This book contains all the instructions you need. The girl in this book was a THINKER in coming up with all the things she could do to take care of her grandma over night. She shows her INDEPENDENCE as she helps her grandma make decisions about how they will spend their time together! Fun read, especially if your a grandma, or know one.
Erica
Christina
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How to Babysit a Grandma is a super cute story to read to children. I love the concept of the story and all the fun ways to effectively babysit a grandma. The illustrations were absolutely stunning and colorful - it all brought the author's words to life really well. This was a funny and adorable how-to guide that belongs on every bookshelf.
JennE
"When you babysit a grandma, if you're lucky it's a sleepover at her house" And so begins this companion guide to "How to Babysit a Grandpa." Proceed to tell Grandma all the fun things you have planned to keep her busy such as go to the park, do yoga and baking cookies. Cute story, great as a mentor text, but again, no diverse characters.
Jacqueline Ford
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-study
This book is about a little girl who is left to babysit her grandma for the night while her parents are away. The book is written in a "how to" style. The little girl takes her Grandma many places and teaches how to do different things with grandma like play, bake, and dress up.
I really like this book. I love the point of view it was written in. I love the illustrations that add many details to the text. I think this book would be a great mentor text for young writers learning how to do procedur
Kristi Brent
I really liked how this book is told fro the point of view of the child, naming all of the fun things their grandma does with them. The pictures were all really colorful and helped to tell the story. I think this is a fun one that a group of children would love. I would definitely read it to a classroom!
Anthony
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming twist on how to deal with the grandchild's overnight stay at grandma's. Colorful drawings and a list of things to do while visiting, and keeping the visitor occupied during the stay. Lee Wildish's illustrations were very funny, especially the ones of the dog throughout the story. A very soothing and informative read prior to the overnight stay.
Sierra Wishard