Start by marking “I Ate Tiong Bahru” as Want to Read:
I Ate Tiong Bahru

I Ate Tiong Bahru

Unlike most of the island country of Singapore, the Tiong Bahru estate looks like it did when it was built over seventy-five years ago. Its distinctive Art Deco architecture and famous food have delighted Singaporeans for generations.

From swamps and kampungs to colonial public housing experiment to wi-fi'd cosmopolitan community, Tiong Bahru represents many of the changes
Published June 8th 2013 by Book Merah

To ask other readers questions about I Ate Tiong Bahru, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Ate Tiong Bahru

Start your review of I Ate Tiong Bahru
Elancharan Gunasekaran
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm back with my halfway review of I ate tiong bahru!

I ate tiong bahru... It's amazing... just like how Mr.Chew would go, "Beauuuutifuul"

If you thought that you knew Singapore like the back of your hand, think again..."So how?"

Stephen Black has done a slick job, putting together the intricate details of Singapore's history and linking it back to the past/present Tiong Bahru estate. The details are too much to take in just one read. Go slow. Breathe. Relax and Tiong Bahru might just come alive.

I
mm
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Described as a 'lyrical documentary', I Ate Tiong Bahru is an ode to a beloved neighbourhood. It is almost a historical, sociological monograph. Black brings the past and present alive in so many different ways.
Much as I enjoyed it, I could also see it needed a good editor and production manager. The book is wrongly bound and the stream of consciousness writing needed to be sometimes honed and polished.
But all in all, I enjoyed it and wished we had such homages to other neighbourhoods with such
Lorraine Koh
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I Ate Tiong Bahru is lovingly crafted by the author as a series of whimsical prose based on real-life characters in the Tiong Bahru district in Singapore. People and places come alive in this palm-sized book and you can feel the a lot of effort was put in observing and researching the area. A fun read.
Barb
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
As I read, my senses were treated to the smells, sounds and tastes of Tiong Bahru. Woven into this experience was a history lesson. The author describes his work as a fact based, lyrical documentary. I did enjoy his use of language. I found myself reading some sentences two or three time just because I liked the way the words were put together.
Fon
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Re-reading
Kerry
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great little book to dip into
The stories paint a picture of a person or place
Carol
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very whimsical read. The style of writing is so refreshing and creative, it's like you were riding in the author's raw train of thoughts. Every little detail is described so vividly you can almost picture yourself being right there. It speaks of the weekends I spent in Tiong Bahru as a young child, and the different Tiong Bahru I later came to explore on my own as an adult. Indeed a very beautiful lyrical documentary of a neighborhood that will forever have a special place in my heart. A recom ...more
Kelly Penrose
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read
Jo Furniss
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expats, historians, food buffs,
This diminutive, hand-sized book comprises a collection of physical and imaginative wanderings in the urban landscape of Tiong Bahru - one of Singapore's most self-consciously hipster 'hoods. Stephen Black skillfully merges anecdotes, historical research and his loving explorations of food (as the title suggests), into fascinating morsels of local insight. He plays on his insider/outsider status to build a paean to his adopted home. His constant references to his choice of coffee - the local kop ...more
Celeste
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I first spied this book in Books Actually, and the existence of this book on its shelves retrieves many different memories for me. Not usually one to read local works, I only got this because I bumped into Black at an event and bought it directly from him. I love reading about Singapore from the perspective of a non-local, it's quaint to observe their fascination with our culture and history, and makes me more appreciative of Singapore as a result. As a casual observer I've always known of Tiong ...more
Gwen Lee
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A collection of stories interspersed among snippets of historical research, interviews and personal histories, Stephen Black's musings of Singapore's most famous neighborhood is at once whimsical, nostalgic and humorous. From stories about local delicacies to "Soymilk Blues" (sung to Johnny Cash's famous song), I Ate Tiong Bahru is a must-read for gourmets, architects, historians and just about anyone who wishes to learn more about this evolving neighborhood.
Stephen Black
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Goodreads is a maze to me....All I wanted to do was add the cover... The physical book is available here : http://booksactually.bigcartel.com/pr... and thru Kindle, iStore, Sony , etc.
There are reviews of I Ate Tiong Bahru elsewhere on Goodreads...have yet to find a way to get all of these things connected...
Kj
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
4/5 because I share the author's love of Tiong Bahru.
Jan
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Living in Tiong Bahru I used this little gem to grasp the original vibe of the quartier - and it soon sucked me into its world. Very good read, lovely, easy and authentic.
Drbillblack
Jun 09, 2015
Nicole Lee
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting pickup about one of Singapore's oldest estates.
Bin Zhang
Mar 08, 2018
Peter White
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2020
Stephen Black's distinctive writing style reflects his extensive background in fine art, TV, movies, and 3D game production. An American who has lived in Asia most of his life, he tackles universal themes with a personal voice. His artworks and photographs have appeared in galleries, museums, books and magazines worldwide.

After receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Photographic Illustration