Start by marking “Here's Looking at You” as Want to Read:
Here's Looking at You

Here's Looking at You

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  6,721 Ratings  ·  640 Reviews
In essence it's an ugly duckling tale. Our heroine Aureliana returns to school after fifteen years for a reunion. School doesn't hold happy memories for her, as being a roly poly Italian (known as the Italian Galleon), and always armed with a Tupperware full of pungent Mediterranean food, she was bullied incessantly throughout her years there. Now in her 30s, Aureliana wan ...more
Published December 5th 2013 by AVON, a division of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Here's Looking at You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here's Looking at You

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
2,053 books — 4,482 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaWallbanger by Alice ClaytonBet Me by Jennifer CrusieMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
2,797 books — 6,329 voters

More lists with this book...

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Crazy how one bad experience can reverberate down the years like that, isn't it?"

A Goodreads friend recommended this to me saying it's a bit of a Pride and Prejudice story, and when I read it, she was right! So, I'm reviewing this book as a Pride and Prejudice retelling. Thanks for recommending this, Olivia!

Anna Alessi is a beautiful, sexy history expert in her thirties who hasn't been successful in finding the one. Online dating isn't going swimmingly, with only polyamorous sexual deviants
Mith
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment.

While I enjoyed the author's previous book, "You had me at hello", this one made me mad enough to throw the book at the wall (if I was reading a physical copy of it, anyway). Positively RIDDEN with clichés!

- Fat girl bullied at high-school? Check.
- Bullies are super-skinny and popular girls with brains smaller than that of an ostrich? Check.
- Girl has a crush on the most popular boy in school? Check.
- Popular boy doesn't giver her time of the day and makes fun of her becaus
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omgggggg. I devoured this. I loved how light and fluffy and hilarious this was while still having just the right amount of seriousness sprinkled in. While there were a few crude jokes in here that made me feel a little iffy, I still wholeheartedly adored this. I am SO GLAD I BOUGHT ALL OF MHAIRI MCFARLANE’S BOOKS.
Anna Casanovas
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo, la evolución de los protagonistas es sencillamente brillante y no solo son convincentes sino que los dos enamoran, tanto él como ella, algo que, en mi opinión, sucede en pocos libros. Al leer la contra puede parecer que el argumento es ya conocido, y probablemente lo es porque ¿cuántos libros hemos leído sobre el chico y la chica que se conocen en el instituto, se hacen daño, y se reencuentran de mayores? Muchos. Pero este es distinto, todo en él es distinto, desde el fa ...more
Marguerite Kaye
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Note - this is a revised review and not the original.

I wrote my first review of this after finishing it in a rage at the way Mills&Boon books were used in the story, and decided not to grade the book because I knew that my view was extremely coloured as a result. Calm reflection and the urging of several fellow M&B authors made me get in touch with the author directly to express my concerns. I have to say, she not only took my concerns seriously, but took the time to express her own rea
Jacqueline
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmm this was more a tale of coming to terms with who you are and refusing to let your past influence your future.

This was witty and clever but the romance was lacking for me. They worked as friends but not as anything more I don't think. Not my favourite from this author.
Dalimar
Con la sinopsis tan explícita, ya sabemos de que va el libro,la historia y es obvio que no es un tema nuevo. Pero está narrado de una forma exquisita. Es que no hay dudas que el mejor chick lit lo escriben los británicos. Primer libro que leo de la autora y sin dudas no será el único.

Dentro de la historia,me gustó la manera en que desarrolló el bullying que sufrió Anna. Trabajó muy bien todas las secuelas que ese maltrato lleva y el hecho de que aún pasando 16 años, ella no lo haya podido super
Yoda
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this one right after Ive read How to Find Love in a Bookshop and I didnt regret it for a single moment.
Mhairi McFarlane has a great writing style and I enjoyed not only her characters and the setting, but most importantly the plot. Sometimes, or often, one of those doesnt match the others this one had them all. She even managed to write an ending that even I couldnt complain about. Definitely worth reading.
I never heard of this writer, apparently thats something I should be ashame
Beauty Mango
An sich eine ganz schöne Geschichte, aber mir hat iwie das Gewisse etwas gefehlt.
Patrizia
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörbuch
Worum geht es?
Anna Alessi ist Historikerin, liebt ihren Job und hat sich mit ihren ewig unordentlichen Haaren und ihrem manchmal vorlauten Mundwerk abgefunden. Ein Mann für die romantischen Momente des Lebens wäre schon nett – aber ihr geht’s gut, viel besser als sie jemals gehofft hätte. Denn als Jugendliche war sie dick und eigenbrötlerisch, ein beliebtes Zielobjekt für organisiertes Mobbing. Ausgerechnet ihr heimlicher Schwarm James Fraser trieb dies gekonnt auf die Spitze und stellte sie in
Anna
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eigentlich ein echt schönes Buch, vor allem sehr witzig, die Story hat aber erst mal gebraucht bis sie richtig losging, deshalb nur 4.5 Sterne. Sonst waren vor allem die Charaktere ganz toll beschrieben und auch mit so vielen kleinen Details, dass das die Story nochmal besonder gemacht hat..
Audrey Ferrer
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DIVERTIDA, muy, muy, muy divertida. INGENIOSA. Brillante.
Había leído varios libros de la autora, por eso la elegí de nuevo, pero para mí, esta es su mejor obra hasta el momento.
Me atrevería a decir que es una historia de descubrimiento del amor, más que un romance desarrollado en sí. Y atrapa. Un ritmo que nunca decae, constante. Unos personajes principales y secundarios coherentes, con chispa. Una trama que consigue convencer en muchos temas: amores idealizados, rencor, acoso escolar, amistad
Teresa Cameselle
Un gran descubrimiento esta autora. Había leído muchas opiniones buenas sobre sus novelas, y he empezado por esta, que es genial. Divertida, brillante, incisiva, pero en absoluto superficial. Una lectura muy recomendable.
Vlora (Reviews and Cake)
I can't really express my views on this book in a rating, so I'll try for a review instead.

(some spoilers ahead)

This is the second book I've read by Mhairi McFarlane, and I only kept reading, because I liked the first one so much. This author really knows how to create rich characters and how to develop them. This can mean that I struggle with the beginning of the book, because the characters haven't gone through that development yet and aren't yet that likeable. They fuck up. A lot. And since
Nikki
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Mhairi McFarlane‘s debut novel You Had Me At Hello was released, I remember thinking “that sounds great! I must read that immediately!”… and then I got swept up in my never-ending pile of books to read, and never quite got round to it. So when I saw it was time for her second book, I got straight on the case. After hearing so many positive things about McFarlane, I would not be missing another one!

Here’s Looking at You is told from two viewpoints: Anna Alessi, a history lecturer who was vic
Johanna
Så smart och välskrivet! Förutom en fin kärlekshistoria har karaktärerna djup. Vill definitivt läsa mer av McFarlane.
Muthulakshmi
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yeah, whatever.

Daisy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Here's Looking at You actually really surprised me. I got what I was expecting: a romantic adult chick-flick, however there was an extra bonus of some genuinely funny humour and a reasonably good storyline thrown in. I haven't had much experience with the genre, so I'm not too sure how original it is, but I definitely enjoyed it enough to finish it, and it was a nice change from my usual genre.

Anna had a hard time in school, like most of us do. Bullied for her talents, mocked for her looks and h
Brina
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Vielleicht mag ich dich morgen" von Mhairi McFarlane hatte ich ehrlich gesagt gar nicht auf dem Radar, bis ich es vollkommen überraschend in den Händen halten durfte. Da der erste Roman "Wir in drei Worten" von der Autorin hochgelobt wurde, wollte ich dem neuesten Werk eine Chance geben, muss aber dazu sagen, dass meine Erwartungen nicht unbedingt hoch waren, was letztendlich auch ganz gut war.

Die Autorin kann schreiben, dies kann man ihr definitiv nicht absprechen, allerdings hat sie es nicht
Danielle
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

While I adore YA and NA (most of the time) sometimes it's nice to change things up and enjoy a contemporary adult romance and remind myself why I adore the British and Irish female writers that dominate the genre. Mhairi McFarlane was a new to me author when her latest release HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU popped through the letterbox but now I can honestly say I'm an affirmed fan and can't wait to read more from her.

HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU is told from two POV
Georgina
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wrongfully I had a lot of expectations about this book as I enjoyed Mhairi's first one 'You Had Me At Hello' so much, however Here's Looking At You seemed to fall short of it's mark.

The story has been done before plenty of times but I was hoping there would be something unique in her take on it. It follows Aureliana who during her High Schools years was horrendously bullied and ridiculed by her fellow classmates on a daily basis, with the worst moment coming when she was tricked into going on st
Skye Kilaen
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, r-finalize
Romantic comedy/drama isn't really my genre, but I enjoyed Mhairi McFarlane's You Had Me At Hello quite a bit, so I checked this out next from the library. So glad I did. Anna, the heroine, had a fairly predictable story, but I was enthralled by McFarlane's portrayal of Jack. He's (probably) not an asshole at heart, but he certainly acts like one in many ways. Trash-talking people behind their backs, for one, including Anna's sister - and his defense of "I'm entitled to my opinion" is one I've h ...more
Alice Kellen
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5. Qué bonita. Qué detallada. Qué tierna.
Puede que no «contente» a los que esperan encontrar una historia de amor al uso, pasional o intensa, pero es que el amor no siempre es así. El amor a veces es lento, silencioso y con muchas dudas de por medio.
La pluma de la autora es preciosa, muy «británica», y con una novela diferente y original con respecto a lo que más se está publicando ahora, ahonda en el miedo, las inseguridades, la amistad, las segundas oportunidades...
Justine
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
J'ai passé une bonne partie de ma journée à lire, afin de pouvoir le terminer le plus rapidement possible (obligations obligent, haha). Si la lecture n'a pas été désagréable, elle n'a pas été incroyable non plus. Le livre est beaucoup trop long pour ce qu'il a eu à offrir selon moi.
Liliflaj
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laguna
Bas slatko
ALPHAreader
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Here’s Looking at You’ was Mhairi McFarlane’s 2013 romance novel – now having read, I have thus completed my pillaging of her backlist … and am now sitting with the rest of the bandwagon, waiting for information on her little-known planned February 2019 release. *le sigh*

So I didn’t LOVE my last Mhairi read, before this one, as much as I’d hoped to – ‘Who’s That Girl’ certainly didn’t leave a bad taste in my mouth (um. It’s Mhairi McFarlane, I think it’s impossible for her to write a bad book?)
Jess
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some facts you might find helpful in contextualising this review:
- I finished this at 4:14 in the morning.
- Out of the last five books I've read, three have been murder mysteries.
- I am British.

This review is definitely going to be rambling, pseudointellectual and analytical, so if you hate either of those things, feel free to leave me my first hate comment.

Alright! Let's start with the negatives, before I move onto the gushing.
- It makes no sense that James has only got one friend, and a cra
Hildy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny and at times very emotional. I think Mhairi McFarlane is a new favourite.
Marta Fernández
Mhairi McFarlane dejó el listón muy alto con su novela 'Nadie como tú', pero en cuanto leí el argumento de esta novela sabía que iba a superar al peso pesado.

Después de superar, o más bien, de intentar superar el acoso y derribo al que se vio sometida Aureliana en su época de instituto, le llega un bombazo informativo: va a haber un reencuentro de antiguos alumnos. La protagonista se debate entre ir o no, desde el minuto cero rechaza la invitación, hasta que sus confidentes la instigan a ir. Pa
What's the Name o...: Chick-Lit book about a curvy woman [s] 5 64 Apr 28, 2014 03:36AM
  • It Felt Like a Kiss
  • Yours Truly
  • Ten Years On
  • Thirteen Weddings
  • The Wish List
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • 海月姫 12 [Kuragehime 12] (Princess Jellyfish #12)
  • One Hundred Proposals (100 Proposals #1)
  • The Love Detective (Love Detective, #1)
  • I Followed the Rules
  • The Dating Detox
  • How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • Killer Queens
  • Saving Grace
  • One Thing Led To Another
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • The Summer of Living Dangerously
  • Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.
More about Mhairi McFarlane

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“London was one of the worst places to have a bad day and one of the best places to have a good day” 9 likes
“an utter walkover with a man who can pen a pretty email” 2 likes