Start by marking “Here's Looking at You” as Want to Read:
Here's Looking at You

Here's Looking at You

In essence it's an ugly duckling tale. Our heroine Aureliana returns to school after fifteen years for a reunion. School doesn't hold happy memories for her, as being a roly poly Italian (known as the Italian Galleon), and always armed with a Tupperware full of pungent Mediterranean food, she was bullied incessantly throughout her years there. Now in her 30s, Aureliana wan ...more
Published December 5th 2013 by AVON, a division of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Here's Looking at You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here's Looking at You

Start your review of Here's Looking at You
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Crazy how one bad experience can reverberate down the years like that, isn't it?"

A Goodreads friend recommended this to me saying it's a bit of a Pride and Prejudice story, and when I read it, she was right! So, I'm reviewing this book as a Pride and Prejudice retelling. Thanks for recommending this, Olivia!

Anna Alessi is a beautiful, sexy history expert in her thirties who hasn't been successful in finding the one. Online dating isn't going swimmingly, with only polyamorous sexua
Mith
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment.

While I enjoyed the author's previous book, "You had me at hello", this one made me mad enough to throw the book at the wall (if I was reading a physical copy of it, anyway). Positively RIDDEN with clichés!

- Fat girl bullied at high-school? Check.
- Bullies are super-skinny and popular girls with brains smaller than that of an ostrich? Check.
- Girl has a crush on the most popular boy in school? Check.
- Popular boy doesn't giver her time of the day and makes fun of her becaus
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omgggggg. I devoured this. I loved how light and fluffy and hilarious this was while still having just the right amount of seriousness sprinkled in. While there were a few crude jokes in here that made me feel a little iffy, I still wholeheartedly adored this. I am SO GLAD I BOUGHT ALL OF MHAIRI MCFARLANE’S BOOKS.
Susan's Reviews
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the strong female character in this enemies to friends to lovers story by the incomparable Mhairi McFarlane. This author is the Boss of humourous slice of life women's fiction. Her characters are always down to earth and likeable: I love spending time with them.
This novel is a variation on the theme in Its Not Me, It's You.
It didn't take long to notice that this author tends to use the same tropes, with a few switch ups.
McFarlane's novels have a specific conflict that drives the storyline
Marguerite Kaye
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Note - this is a revised review and not the original.

I wrote my first review of this after finishing it in a rage at the way Mills&Boon books were used in the story, and decided not to grade the book because I knew that my view was extremely coloured as a result. Calm reflection and the urging of several fellow M&B authors made me get in touch with the author directly to express my concerns. I have to say, she not only took my concerns seriously, but took the time to express her own reasons and
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, chaste, romance
This book had to have been quite a challenge to write. I mean, not only did McFarlane undertake to convey the reality of someone bullied mercilessly in school who carries that trauma well into adulthood, but she undertook at the same time to redeem the centrally traumatic person involved and make him the love interest. That is a near-insurmountable task and I'm happy to report that, at least for me, she pulled it off beautifully.

It helps that while they both have some distance from the events bo
Jacqueline
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmm this was more a tale of coming to terms with who you are and refusing to let your past influence your future.

This was witty and clever but the romance was lacking for me. They worked as friends but not as anything more I don't think. Not my favourite from this author.
Yoda
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this one right after I´ve read How to Find Love in a Bookshop and I didn´t regret it for a single moment.
Mhairi McFarlane has a great writing style and I enjoyed not only her characters and the setting, but most importantly the plot. Sometimes, or often, one of those doesn´t match the others this one had them all. She even managed to write an ending that even I couldn´t complain about. Definitely worth reading.
I never heard of this writer, apparently that´s something I should be a
Obsidian
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was very cute and also sad at parts. I loved how McFarlane pretty much has you disliking the hero for a good portion of this book (who wouldn't?) before allowing him to grow on you as he did the heroine. I thought the book was very good at showing how damaging school can be to those who were and are bullied. I felt for Anna so much. And I have to say that Anna and her relationship with her sister was heart-warming. I also loved her friendship with her besties Michelle and Dan. Not a five ...more
Sam (AMNReader)
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My fat fingers deleted my very recent 4.37 review. Loved this, wish the heroine was more self-actualized, and adore the hero.
Vlora
Dec 10, 2016 added it
I can't really express my views on this book in a rating, so I'll try for a review instead.

(some spoilers ahead)

This is the second book I've read by Mhairi McFarlane, and I only kept reading, because I liked the first one so much. This author really knows how to create rich characters and how to develop them. This can mean that I struggle with the beginning of the book, because the characters haven't gone through that development yet and aren't yet that likeable. They fuck up. A lot. And since
Florina
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
dnf at 15%

Man, oh man, did this book anger me. I couldn't even get through the first 100 pages without wanting to hurl. Well, I guess I could have forced myself; the writing is funny & clever and the main character is not unbearable.

HOWEVER,

all that was squandered on a "from fat to beautiful" rom-com. Yes, against all odds, this story is based on the protagonist losing a lot of weight to discover she's worthy of romance. Of course, per custom, even though she's incredibly hot now, she's still go
Nikki
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Mhairi McFarlane‘s debut novel You Had Me At Hello was released, I remember thinking “that sounds great! I must read that immediately!”… and then I got swept up in my never-ending pile of books to read, and never quite got round to it. So when I saw it was time for her second book, I got straight on the case. After hearing so many positive things about McFarlane, I would not be missing another one!

Here’s Looking at You is told from two viewpoints: Anna Alessi, a history lecturer who was vic
Muthulakshmi
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yeah, whatever.

;3
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
no words just disappointment
Tracy
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming and funny. I’m not sure I would have forgiven James...although he did redeem himself quite nicely in the end. Anna is a delight, beautiful smart and funny. Great way to spend a hot day.
Jenna
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, romance
This was such a fun read. Anna was a compelling main character – I especially loved her passion for her job and the exploration of her relationships with her family. The romance was pretty irresistible – all the nods to Pride and Prejudice made me grin. I listened to this on audiobook, and the performance by Cassandra Harwood was great!
Jenny Jo Weir
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swoon-worthy
Is there a certain point where we should stop the “Pride and Prejudice” trope books? Heck NO! This book serves to prove that you cannot have too much of a good thing. I loved the new take on this old classic. It’s probably one of my most favorite re-write versions of it. It was funny and witty and easy to enjoy. I liked the flow and was satisfied with the ending. Good, fun book overall.
Rebekah
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-on-kindle
She thought seeing James again at work was a taunt from God, but what if it was a useful nudge from Him Above? Go. Look upon this creature and realise that really, him and his people aren’t all that.

It was authentically terrifying to think you could do so much damage to another human being, and then mentally store it away in the attic. Imagine if he’d never met her again? If he ever had kids, they’d have a Don’t Be Mean talk from him that’d involve a PowerPoint presentation.

Here’s Looking a
Jess
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some facts you might find helpful in contextualising this review:
- I finished this at 4:14 in the morning.
- Out of the last five books I've read, three have been murder mysteries.
- I am British.

This review is definitely going to be rambling, pseudointellectual and analytical, so if you hate either of those things, feel free to leave me my first hate comment.

Alright! Let's start with the negatives, before I move onto the gushing.
- It makes no sense that James has only got one friend, and a cra
Danielle
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

While I adore YA and NA (most of the time) sometimes it's nice to change things up and enjoy a contemporary adult romance and remind myself why I adore the British and Irish female writers that dominate the genre. Mhairi McFarlane was a new to me author when her latest release HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU popped through the letterbox but now I can honestly say I'm an affirmed fan and can't wait to read more from her.

HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU is told from two POV
Camilla Isley
I officially have a book hangover. I only recently discovered this author and went on to read everything she's ever written and now that I've consumed her entire backlist I feel sad... (I want more)

On to this particular book. I loved everything about it, well except Laurence maybe. It was a story with so many layers some humorous, some lighthearted, some romantic, and some though.
As you read the book Anna and James become your friends and by the end you feel part of a book family.
Hildy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny and at times very emotional. I think Mhairi McFarlane is a new favourite.
Daisy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Here's Looking at You actually really surprised me. I got what I was expecting: a romantic adult chick-flick, however there was an extra bonus of some genuinely funny humour and a reasonably good storyline thrown in. I haven't had much experience with the genre, so I'm not too sure how original it is, but I definitely enjoyed it enough to finish it, and it was a nice change from my usual genre.

Anna had a hard time in school, like most of us do. Bullied for her talents, mocked for her looks and h
Teresa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because Mhairi McFarlane's writing is so, so good. The way she can turn a phrase or describe a moment is so well done, I can hardly put her books down.

I didn't like some of the characters as much as in previous books, and yet I never really hated the main male character, despite it all. But that seemed to be the point. His character needed to change a certain way, and I loved how Mhairi wrote that change. Because even when I liked him... you were kind of like, duuuuuuu
ALPHAreader
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Here’s Looking at You’ was Mhairi McFarlane’s 2013 romance novel – now having read, I have thus completed my pillaging of her backlist … and am now sitting with the rest of the bandwagon, waiting for information on her little-known planned February 2019 release. *le sigh*

So I didn’t LOVE my last Mhairi read, before this one, as much as I’d hoped to – ‘Who’s That Girl’ certainly didn’t leave a bad taste in my mouth (um. It’s Mhairi McFarlane, I think it’s impossible for her to write a bad book?)
Ali
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars.
Like the premise, but it went on for a bit too long.
Anne
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anna Alessi seems to have it all. She's beautiful, she has gorgeous hair, she has a great job and good friends. Yes, she'd like to find 'the one', but she's having fun trying to find him.

Anna Alessi used to be known as Aureliana. Aureliana was fat, she was bullied, she had no friends, she was unhappy. Aureliana suffered a humiliating 'Carrie' moment (as in the Stephen King story!) during 'Mock Rock' - a musical performance on the last day of school. So humiliating that she has never forgotten th
Georgina
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wrongfully I had a lot of expectations about this book as I enjoyed Mhairi's first one 'You Had Me At Hello' so much, however Here's Looking At You seemed to fall short of it's mark.

The story has been done before plenty of times but I was hoping there would be something unique in her take on it. It follows Aureliana who during her High Schools years was horrendously bullied and ridiculed by her fellow classmates on a daily basis, with the worst moment coming when she was tricked into going on st
Skye Kilaen
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-genre-romance
Romantic comedy/drama isn't really my genre, but I enjoyed Mhairi McFarlane's You Had Me At Hello quite a bit, so I checked this out next from the library. So glad I did. Anna, the heroine, had a fairly predictable story, but I was enthralled by McFarlane's portrayal of Jack. He's (probably) not an asshole at heart, but he certainly acts like one in many ways. Trash-talking people behind their backs, for one, including Anna's sister - and his defense of "I'm entitled to my opinion" is one I've h ...more
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Chick-Lit book about a curvy woman [s] 5 69 Apr 28, 2014 03:36AM

• The Switch
  • Love Songs for Sceptics
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Stuck On You
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.