Start by marking “The Craft Beer Revolution: How a Band of Microbrewers Is Transforming the World's Favorite Drink” as Want to Read:

Over the past 40 years craft-brewed beer has exploded in growth. In 1980, a handful of “microbrewery” pioneers launched a revolution that would challenge the dominance of the national brands, Budweiser, Coors, and Miller, and change the way Americans think about, and drink, beer. Today, there are more than 2,700 craft breweries in the United  States and another  1,500 are ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Craft Beer Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Craft Beer Revolution

Rand
Aug 11, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: snobs
I won this book in a giveaway on this website and it arrived shortly after I decided to stop drinking beer.

I still decided to (pretend to) read this book, because I am a man of my word. It was okay, nothing to write home about. Essentially it's the book-form of an infomercial; nothing one can't glean from hanging around at opening hours of a quality pub and pestering the owner/bartender while he's busy checking in orders.

My brother-in-law said it was a decent thing to flip through while he was
Miriam Downey
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

I chuckled when the publisher sent me a copy of The Craft Beer Revolution because of all my family, I know the least about beer, and frankly, have just developed a bit of a taste for beer in my old age!

Stephen Hindy is the owner of Brooklyn Brewery, and The Craft Beer Revolution tells the story of how he and a group of other brewers have transformed the beer industry. Craft beers are now being made all over the country. Even the
John Brumbaugh
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book was really good at the beginning when it was talking about the origin stories of the various craft breweries and brewpubs in the country. About halfway through the book, it started to get into the politics of craft brewing and the different trade associations and how things were going and it got way too wonky for me.

To me, the one string that ran throughout the entire story was Hindy's complete and utter dislike of Jim Koch from Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams). He consistently seemed t
Rayfes Mondal
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great history of the craft beer movement in this country. I'm happy we have some many choices now.
Mert Selcuk
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It is an interesting book, yet I got into it with incorrect intentions.

I have recently finished reading a book about wine, chocolate, coffee, beer tasting that elaborately explains all the details of how to identify the qualities, taste profiles and how terroir can affect all these qualities.

After that book, I was hoping this one to be a focused/targetted one about craft beer and micro-brewed batches and how to properly evaluate these products. Although it had that element, I would say 90% of th
Joshua
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic look at the last couple of decades and the emergence of the craft beer movement. I really appreciated how the author segmented his narrative and went out of his way to be as impartial as possible when describing both his shortcomings and conflicts. What impressed me most is the level of comradery and dedication these pioneers and innovators for such a remarkable beverage. I docked 1 star because towards the end it got a little bogged down with politics and publications. Abov ...more
Tim
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fascinating time for craft beer, and I appreciate learning about the history of the "revolution." That said, I enjoyed the first half of The Craft Beer Revolution more than the second (other than the "third generation" chapter at the end). The little vignettes on brewers and breweries from the mid-20th-century onward were most interesting to me. It got a little technical with talk of competing associations, distribution games/politics, etc. Overall, I thought the book provided a nice snap ...more
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An introspective look at the craft beer industry as told by one of it's early pioneers and perenial heavyweights. More or less a primary source as told by Hindy of the various evolutions and generations of the craft beer industry. This is a history that is still being written, but Hindy covers craft beer as he sees/saw it until 2012. While many things have changed, this book gives a well rounded context to how the industry has evolved to today.
C
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great inside look on the history of the craft beer business. As someone in it for nearly a decade, I got a ton of info on stuff I only knew of through vague references and stories from longtime veterans.
John
I rarely abandon a book but I had to give up on this one. Some great info is lost amid a rambling, unfocused mix of memoir and anecdote. One for real enthusiasts.
CJ
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read. Crazy to think how much has changed since publication. Would like more on InBev and the inroads they are making with their acquisitions but guess wasn't as much as a thing at the time.
Shelly Donaghey
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, history, beer
THE CRAFT BEER REVOLUTION by Steve Hindy is a must read for anyone who wants to know more about good beer. The big brewery beer is fine if you are passing out suds to people you don’t care about, but it is in the artisanal beer, the beer crafted from the best ingredients and with the special care one takes with their child that you will find the superior taste and quality that you would reserve for only the best of friends.
In this book Hindy, a one-time foreign correspondent and now president
Claire
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I received The Craft Beer Revolution as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

Here, Hindy, a pioneer of the craft beer movement, gives us a broad history, beginning with the industry's beginnings in the 1960s through the microbrewery explosion of the 21st century.

It's a very readable book, and Hindy, who was actively involved in the movement from its early days, is able to give a real insider's view. There's a lot of insight into conferences and other meetings that made the industry what it is today, and
Marks54
Steve Hindy's book is a history of the American craft beer business from the mid-1960s until the present. It is interesting and informative and does a good job at raising the issues that brewers faced in struggling for legitimacy and success - and personal fulfillment from pursuing a business like this. Hindy is also clear on the economics of the business and the various political and institutional issues faced by these small idiosyncratic local businesses competing across a wide range of local ...more
JC
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Received this book via a giveaway.

Read this book as a non beer drinker and so had no background on craft beers or any beer companies for that reason really. I went into this book to learn a little bit more about all of the local breweries that seem to be popping up around and this book delivers on that front - lots of information as to why people are enjoying craft beers more and more and how the business doesn't seem to be slowing down.

One thing that I took away from this is all of the restrict
Todd
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book provides the history of craft brewing in the U.S. The discussions of the founders are interesting as they were leaders to a better (beer) world. He also provides discussion of the uphill struggles, be it against the big 2, distributors, protectionist state laws, misguided state laws and the impact that the prohibition mistake is still having today.

At times, the author was almost too even keeled. I was expecting the chapter where there was a call to arms over some of the dated laws whic
Tony Parsons
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can even begin to tell you how much I love Microbreweries.

Unfortunately I cannot drink anymore. 2 of my 3 kids love it now though. I taught them to appreciate good beer.

Peroni, Grolsch, Guinness Stout, Corona...

A very awesome book cover, pictures, statistics, politics & great font & writing style. A very well informative book on the art of Beer making. It was very easy for me to read & follow along from start/finish & never a dull moment. There were no spoken grammar errors,
Carl
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Full disclosures: 1)I received this as a Goodreads giveaway.
2) My tastebuds are thankful for the craft beer revolution, and I wish it had started 20 or 30 years earlier.

This book presented me with more than I wanted to know about the history of the players and their efforts. There’s a lot of detail about a lot of things, and I found myself skimming over quite a bit, including the details of the rivalries among the various organizations set up to help small brewers. There is good detail about the
Kara
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
An in-depth history of craft beer by an author who is a brewer himself. The Craft Beer Revolution is packed full of details about individual brewers, brewpubs and breweries, laws, and organizations that have made the business of craft brewing what it is today. This is not a light and breezy page-turner by any means and I imagine it as more of a textbook for a brewing course than anything else. But I enjoyed the inside look at more brewers/breweries than I will ever remember and have a better app ...more
Tracy Morgan
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First I should, I won this through a Goodreads giveaway. This is incredibly fun book for anyone who enjoys a good glass of beer. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In fact, I finished it in about two days. I learned everything from how the beer making process works, how to start a successful business, and how a small group of people helped change the way we think of beer. It was a fascinating read and by the time the book was done, I was definitely ready for a delicious beer. A great read f ...more
Joseph Becci
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found this book somewhat tedious and very focus on beer internal and external politics vs. the craft and artists of beer making. The author also jumps forward and backwards in time making it a little hard to follow. It lacks passion -- i guess that's my biggest disappointment. In contrast, the book about coffee (God in a Cup) which documents the various "waves" of the coffee movement gave me strong visual images of the places, smells and tastes. This book does none of that.
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start with the boring part, I received this a promotional giveaway...

Now my opinion. There were some parts of this book that might drag a bit unless you're REALLY obsessed with our country's craft beer movement. That being said, this book dives into the movement pretty hardcore and really captures those formative years well. There is a lot of information captured in it and is a great resource for anyone who is interested in the topic!
Michelle
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My husband just finished this book and absolutely loved it. He often read passages to me that he found particularly interesting so through him I enjoyed it as well. If you like history and if you like beer than you will like this book. He has taken a recent interest in craft beers and the history of their development is quite intriguing. It is basically a David and Goliath story.
Steve Susina
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The Craft Beer Revolution is "inside baseball" for the independent beer industry. From the early days of Fritz Maytag and Anchor Steam to the current rise of the craft beer movement, this book covers the brands, the people, the events, and the associations.
Robert
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An interesting look at the history of the craft beer revolution of the the past 40 years. It is written Steve Hindy of Brooklyn Brewery. It's a fairly easy to read and is certain to contain lots of interesting stuff for craft beer geeks who are interested in learning about the beginnings and behind the scenes action of the craft beer revolution. I recommend it for beer geeks.
Amanda
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I found it to be over factual and kind of dull. But I guess that is what a history is supposed to be. Maybe I'm reading too much narrative non-fiction and I want someone to pull out the story and characters and had feed me my own emotions too much. I'll definitely be thinking about this book when I choose beer from now on. Interesting history of what makes industries successful.
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beer-shelf
Loved this books inside view of the beer industry. There are some really great stories and information housed inside its pages. There were some chapters that were much more enjoyable than others, but the book as a whole was extremely enjoyable and well written, very easy to read.
Brian
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
From chapter five on was what I found most interesting. Read The Audacity of Hops for an much more enjoyable read of the early history of craft beer..
I found the book a little too insider info and a little partisan, but still enjoyable.
Tony
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is great to have an inside look at the successful craft brewers. Now that we see little breweries and local brew pubs all over, it is interesting how big the big craft brewers are. Their political, bureaucratic and regulatory issues are an ugly side of such a cheerful kind of enterprise.
Guillermo Hernández
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Salvo que, como yo, tengan una fascinación con la cerveza, no creo que les interese en lo más mínimo. Además es una visión muy centrada en como se conformó el movimiento en Estados Unidos, contado desde una de las partes. Sería interesante comparar cómo se desarrolló en otros países o regiones.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ambitious Brew
  • The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution
  • The Complete Beer Course: Boot Camp for Beer Geeks: From Novice to Expert in Twelve Tasting Classes
  • Beyond the Pale: The Story of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
  • Mastering Homebrew: The Complete Guide to Brewing Delicious Beer
  • RFK: The Collected Speeches
  • Garfield
  • Marching Home: Union Veterans and Their Unending Civil War
  • The Myth of the Lost Cause and Civil War History
  • The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
  • The Way We Ate: 100 Chefs Celebrate a Century at the American Table
  • For the Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops
  • The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine
  • The Brewer's Tale: A History of the World According to Beer
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • This Republic: Illuminating Republican Government
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
“Experimentation also proved serendipitous for Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, when they were putting together the Stone Brewing Co. in Escondido, California, north of San Diego. It was destined to become one of the most successful brewing startups of the 1990s. In The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. Koch and Wagner confess that the home-brewed ale that became Arrogant Bastard Ale and propelled Stone to fame in the craft brewing world, started with a mistake. Greg Koch recalls that Wagner exclaimed “Aw, hell!” as he brewed an ale on his brand spanking new home-brewing system. “I miscalculated and added the ingredients in the wrong percentages,” he told Koch. “And not just a little. There’s a lot of extra malt and hops in there.” Koch recalls suggesting they dump it, but Wagner decided to let it ferment and see what it tasted like. Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, founders of Stone Brewery. Photograph © Stone Brewing Co. They both loved the resulting hops bomb, but they didn’t know what to do with it. Koch was sure that nobody was “going to be able to handle it. I mean, we both loved it, but it was unlike anything else that was out there. We weren’t sure what we were going to do with it, but we knew we had to do something with it somewhere down the road.”20 Koch said the beer literally introduced itself as Arrogant Bastard Ale. It seemed ironic to me that a beer from southern California, the world of laid back surfers, should produce an ale with a name that many would identify with New York City. But such are the ironies of the craft brewing revolution. Arrogant Bastard was relegated to the closet for the first year of Stone Brewing Co.’s existence. The founders figured their more commercial brew would be Stone Pale Ale, but its first-year sales figures were not strong, and the company’s board of directors decided to release Arrogant Bastard. “They thought it would help us have more of a billboard effect; with more Stone bottles next to each other on a retail shelf, they become that much more visible, and it sends a message that we’re a respected, established brewery with a diverse range of beers,” Wagner writes. Once they decided to release the Arrogant Bastard, they decided to go all out. The copy on the back label of Arrogant Bastard has become famous in the beer world: Arrogant Bastard Ale Ar-ro-gance (ar’ogans) n. The act or quality of being arrogant; haughty; Undue assumption; overbearing conceit. This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory—maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. The label continues along these lines for a couple of hundred words. Some call it a brilliant piece of reverse psychology. But Koch insists he was just listening to the beer that had emerged from a mistake in Wagner’s kitchen. In addition to innovative beers and marketing, Koch and Wagner have also made their San Diego brewery a tourist destination, with the Stone Brewing Bistro & Gardens, with plans to add a hotel to the Stone empire.” 0 likes
“2000: 1,509 craft breweries 29 noncraft regional and national breweries AB InBev and MillerCoors: 81 percent share 2013: 2,594 craft breweries 10 noncraft regional and national breweries AB InBev and MillerCoors: 74 percent share” 0 likes