Start by marking “Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet

(The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  261,046 ratings  ·  27,041 reviews
Even in the future, beware of the big, bad wolf...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestsrlling Lunar Chronicles. She is trying to break out of prison-even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a
Published February 4th 2014 by Square Fish (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.
Estela Pabalan Yes this book is waaayyyyy better then Cinder!! Read it you won't regret
Allison I would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a…moreI would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a little bit uncomfortable at times. It's a good book, but maybe wait until they're a teenager.(less)

·  261,046 ratings  ·  27,041 reviews

Emily May
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to a
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
Sarah Maas
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Lola
This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
Katerina
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time, there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales. Her favorite was Red Riding Hood, and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning. A warning that she'd never shup up). The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across a horrib
Miranda Reads
There should be more to this book.

I'm a sucker for a good fairytale rewrite - so I (mostly) enjoyed this retelling of Red Riding Hood.

BUT, the couple in this one (Scarlet and Wolf) and the book in general seemed to be missing something.
“What’s your name, anyway?”

That awkward shrug again. “They call me Wolf at the fights.”

“ Wolf? How … predatory."
It's like they are on the cusp of being truly great but fell a smidge short. Their rapport just seemed...off... Forced might be a better word.
“Wol
Jenn
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
jessica
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its been awhile since i read cinder and, after reading this, all i have to say is ‘why did i wait so long!?’

holy smokes. i enjoyed this book so much more than cinder, and i thought cinder was wonderful. i was really impressed at how this not only had its own fairy tale twist (little red riding hood), but it also incorporated the previous retelling (cinderella) and resulted in this unique and entertaining book. i was a bit apprehensive at how it would work, being able to develop more of the stor
Steph Sinclair
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder and Fairy Tail retellings
Recommended to Steph by: Me!

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
Sana
Edit: i kind if realized how much i hate myself for giving this four stars. I have sinned omg, changing my rating to five stars like right fucking now,

THIS BOOK WAS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN Cinder.
description

Scarlet and Wolf will be the literal death of me. I'm incapable of writing a review for this. It's just....READ IT PLS.

description

THIS LAST IMAGE KILLED ME. I actually screamed you guys.

I love Wolf so much it hurts.
I need a Wolf in my life.
Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
"She did not know that the wolf
was a wicked sort of animal,
and she was not afraid of him."

She is sassy and fiesty.
He is dark, mysterious, and ADORABLE!
What more do you need people?!
. . . Did i mention she carries a gun around?? Yeah, you don't mess with that one. ;)

"Wait until morning," he said.
"The world wont be safe tonight."

Still cant find a perfect Wolf! This will do for now. Who do you guys picture as Wolf?

Now that i have read all four books, i can say this without a doubt Scarlet
Kassidy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
Finally,
Riley
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5
I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
-Scarlet/Wolf <3
-Cinder and Thorne's friendship
-Iko being a ship
-Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Beth
Actual rating 4.5 Stars

I liked Cinder, it wasn't anything magical or something that really stood out to me, it was just okay. However Scarlet the second book in The Lunar Chronicles has made me think again. I honestly really liked this book, I liked the new characters. I can't even decide between Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne because they al bring something different to the plot.

The building of the story progressed really well, I was curious as to how these two stories would entwine, but it was appar
Meyer S
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars*

MAN, THESE BOOKS ARE AWESOME.

I'm really loving The Lunar Chronicles so far !
The writing, the plots, the characters... everything about these books is EPIC basically .

I wrote a 5-star review a while back on Cinder (The first book) . And everything i said over there is completely relevant to Scarlet.

In this book, we are introduced to Scarlet( obviously ), as we follow her journey of looking for her grandmother who was missing.

What's really cool, is that we still get to follow Cinder
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I AM REREADING IT NOW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I WILL REREAD THIS SERIES THIS YEAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Second Read Review

"I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know."

the first time I read this book was in 2015 and I LOVED it so much and this book instantl
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I re read this on audio

I love Scarlet so much and of course, Wolf!

This is my wolf, not just a wolf man that he really looks like =)

I always wanted to be a werewolf when I grew up but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it ever will!

***SOME SPOILERS***

Scarlet has been looking for her grandma ma. Where is she? What is gong on? Well, I'm not going to tell you about that.

Scarlet helps her grandma run their farm, Benoit farms. Scarlet cruises around in her hovercraft thing dropping off veggies to
Bangadybangz
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
Zainab
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Man, this just keeps getting better and better.

At first, I couldn't be bothered with Scarlet's story and had a mini heart attack when her story started because I thought Cinder's finished (idk man, I'm dumb)
Anyhoo, this book was way better than the first one. Sure I liked the first book but this had a lot more action, a lot more loveable characters *cough*Thorne*cough* and Scarlet was a straight up badass. I mean the girl carries a gun. Nuff said.
Oh and of course, Wolf was amazing.
This book is v
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli

Scarlet and Wolf = Matthias and Nina and that's the tea

-----

this is officially a Binge Read™
maram ☂︎
"It would be easy to abuse a person when they never recognized it as abuse."

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise for those who have been following my progress updates on this but I enjoyed reading this a lot more than Cinder :')
Firstly, the characterization was what grabbed my attention from Cinder and I'm so glad that Marissa Meyer introduced even more characters for me to fall for in Scarlet. Her writing makes it tough not to feel a certain emotion for every single one of them. Secondly,
Cait • A Page with a View
I love all of the characters but can we just talk about CARSWELL THORNE for a moment. The books are worth reading just for this adorable, sarcastic, arrogant idiot. He is still one of my favorite characters of all time and he just gets better and better throughout the series. His friendship with Cinder is everything.

This book was actually the weakest one in the series for me but I still loved it in the end! The characters and their stories haven't all come together or synced up yet, so the story
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

Overview:

“I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first.”

I read Cinder almost a year ago, and was very underwhelmed. In fact, I didn’t really plan on continuing the series. Except bestie kept bugging me about it.

So I started this, a little reluctantly.

And then...

description

THIS WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CINDER. LIKE WHAT.

Pros:

By far my biggest problem with the first book was how predictable it was. Like we all could all pretty much guess what the dea
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2015
*4.5 STARS*
First read - 15th February 2014
Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually take a break between books in a series, not this time - I'm binge reading them.
prag ♻
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I'm!! A!! Mess!! (scroll down to see why)

Exhibit #1) Flirting at Gunpoint:
“I will shoot, you know.”
“I know.” A flicker of kindness passed over him and he pointed at his temple. “You’ll want to aim for the head. That usually makes for a fatal shot. Or, if you’re feeling really shaky, the torso. It’s a larger target.”
“Your head looks pretty big from here.”
He laughed — the expression changing everything about him. His stance relaxed, his face warmed.
Not that I’m the worlds biggest expert on Wh
Sasha Alsberg
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
We Read Stuff: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) - April 2019 3 5 Apr 06, 2019 07:59PM
Cinder and Thorne or Cinder and kai? 36 396 Apr 05, 2019 12:06PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • Speak
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Fragments (Partials Sequence, #2)
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Hover (The Taking, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Stitching Snow
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 1177 likes
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
1119 likes