Start by marking “Summer of the Sea Serpent (Magic Tree House, #31)” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Sea Serpent (Magic Tree House, #31)

Summer of the Sea Serpent

(Magic Tree House "Merlin Missions" #3)

Jack and Annie are off on another mythical mission at the request of Merlin the magician. Luckily, they have a young sorcerer, Teddy, to help them. From underwater caves to a Spider Queen, from mystical selkies to a magical sword, this is a Magic Tree House adventure kids won't want to miss.
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

Cathy
I love the mythology! What a fun way to introduce kids to selkies and King Arthur's sword and more. Plus another very exciting transformation (ravens and flying in the last book) into seals swimming in the sea. Such a great fantasy at any age, who wouldn't want to try that?

Sometimes these kids seem impossibly wise. On the other hand, sometimes things come out of my guys' mouths that are so sweet and perceptive that I am truly humbled. Maybe reading stories like this helps that along.
Kristin
I'm not going to rate this as I didn't read all of it as my mother read the first half to him. What I read was enjoyable though and my son loved it. He just brought home #37 last night and asked if I read these when I was a kid. Never heard of them. I think he might finally have the patience for Harry Potter now though :)
Dana Salman
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The mythology in this is incredible, the way it connects to Arthurian legend. Jack and Annie have the most spectacular adventures, and just when you think they've done everything anyone could possibly do, from riding tpteradacltes (don't know how to spell it), to acting in a Shakesperean play to turning into seals to surfing in Hawaii, Mary Pope Osborne dishes up even more, such things you've forgotten to consuder what could happen in a magic treehouse.

footnote: Wow, I don't know how old I was
Zachary
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think all kids should try reading it

(BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!!)
Coleen
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
once again Jack and Annie was successful in their merlin quest. The Sea serpent ask them an ancient question about the use of excalibur to bring peace. They were helped by the young selky Kathleen to swim im turning them into seals to swim deep waters. Overall the book had an easy reading format and the author provided an additional notes about selky, Selky are seals who can take the human form. It has been said that fisherman marry selkies and leave them broken hearted onve they leave to their ...more
Chamber Of Books and Secrets
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a child, this was my favourite adventure in this series. Each book had a magical and fantastic way of capturing me, but now (many years since my elemantary school time) I especially remember this book with so much love and the magic is still in my heart. Love this series to the moon and back.
Emma
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New life goal: Be a selkie.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
This was such a fun read! My son loved this one, especially since it involved sea serpents, selkies, and more.
Bella
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because Teddy and Kathleen helped Jack and Annie with their mission.
Jessica Guard
Last semester, I was introduced into the Magic Tree House series, but I never finished an entire tree house book with a class. I loved that at the end of each chapter, they left cliff hangers that kept me wanting to find out what would happen next. I also felt like the descriptions were vivid enough that I could imagine myself there. The few illustrations throughout the book also kept my attention. I really did enjoy reading this, and I'm sure I will find myself reading another one from the Magi ...more
Gavin
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Summer of the sea serpent is the 31 book in the series. The Author is Mary Pope Osborne she is the author of all the Magic tree house books. This book has 114 pages and 11 chapters. Merlin send Jack and Annie to go to Ireland to find a girl named Agusta who is the third of five children in her rich family and she is the nicest by far she has two sisters and two brothers. Jack and Annie think that Agusta is a rotten mean girl because her family is rich but she shows them that she is nice and like ...more
Ruth
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children ages 6-10
Recommended to Ruth by: My children
Shelves: childrens
I think this is a great book for kids ages 6-10 (depending on reading level). It is about a boy & a girl (all kids can relate to one of them) that go on a quest. They must follow directions, make choices, and be careful. The descriptions are easy to understand and have just enough vocabulary words to challenge the children. As Annie & Jack move "Onward" the reader also gets to learn new things. This book I learned what a Selkie was. I have never heard of this mythical creature before so ...more
midnightfaerie
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My 5 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. We just started the Pizza Hut book it challenge where he has to read 240 mins a month and then he gets a free personal pan pizza. He's loving it, and already has said these are the books he wants to read for the challenge. Overall a great st ...more
Heather
Part of Paul and Mama Day (aka please don't hate your baby brother, see, you still get attention day) was a trip to the book store for a new book. Paul decided he wanted a chapter book and picked out a boxed set of four Magic Tree House books mostly on the strength of this cover. He's very interested in sea serpents.

Fortunately there are a lot of Magic Tree House books because Paul REALLY likes them. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to read them to him and they're not great read alou
Dr. Truly Lovely
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This third book of the Magic Tree House Merlin Missions Collection by Mary Pope Osborne was a delight to read! *micro spoiler alert* One of the book's central themes introduces the concept of using the sword, Excalibur, for peace, rather than destruction.

I love how the author introduces the world of selkies in the book through a central character, Kathleen, who accompanies Annie and Jack on their subsequent missions. I read this book just at the right moment because last month I began working o
Austin Gullett
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Summer of the Sea Serpent is the last MTH book that I ever purchased, as well as the last book I ever bought at a Scholastic Book Fair, so this one carries a lot of fond memories with it. I think it's definitely the most fantastical entry up until this point, and the one that leans most heavily into Celtic mythology. This is such a fun story arc. It doesn't exactly fit with the format of the rest of the series, but it's so good.
Achyuth Thumatty
Is this a fiction?
Yes, it is.

Who is the main character in this book?
There are two, Jack & Annie

What is the story about?
Jack and Annie getting the sword from the sea serpent

What did you like the most in this book?
When Jack and Annie turned in to seals by wearing a coat and having Kathleen say a magic spell.
Cullen
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and I would definitely recommend this book to others. The plot structure is very interesting and I liked all of the details throughout the book. This is a good book for people who like to read long series. There are a lot of books to choose from in this series, and from what I have read, I have liked every one.
Sylvia
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
What a wonderful adventure to experience. Mary really knows how to inspire a child's imagination taking to place their minds may never had pictured. I could really feel the change of becoming a seal and I really felt the impact of becoming human once again. The bridge was awesome as well. I don't think I liked the ending of this one as much as the others though.
Sara
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad. This is actually my first experience with Magic Tree House books. My 1st grader thought it was amazing. Lots of action and absolutely no waiting for it. They used some good vocabulary as well. As I said, not bad.
Emma Phillips
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jack and Annie are off on another exciting adventure! I really enjoyed all the different pieces and parts that this mission had to it. They came face-to-face with a giant spider and a massive sea serpent - I'm not sure if I would've made it out alive!
 Mummy Cat Claire
I read this as a read- a- loud to my kids. This is the first magic tree house book we have ever read.

Jack and Annie are asked to go on a quest for Merlin. They are to retrieve a sword for him in just one day. They get help from some unlikely characters. Several of whom are scary.

We seemed to enjoy this book. It is short and to the point. We liked the characters and the helpers. I thought the time of a one day adventure was strange.

Overall, we enjoyed this adventure. The
Nyah Prince
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the best book ever! it was so very very very cool and interesting. it was a very magical adventure and it was very imaginative and free and there was very very very good action words in the story.
Bond
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
when I was still elementary, this book was still in the RIS elementary school library. I read it, then I start to read the rest of the series. I loved reading them so much, I burrowed them over and over again. I recomend this book to whoevernloves adventure, fantasy and history.
Manuela
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
So far so good with the new series. All three of the Merlin Missions have been good. These books are more lengthy than the magic treehouse series. Perfect for my 7 year old son’s reason level right now
Jiang mingxuan michelle
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yeats Van
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations were really good!
Megan
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A favorite series of my 8 year old
Tara
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the myths that are combined in this story. It’s a great story and fun mission.
Mary Thomas
We picked up the audio book from the library and listened to this on the way to Indianapolis. Good story that my boys and I referred to later.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
cool 10 9 Sep 22, 2013 04:38PM

• Space (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #6)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Tower of the Elf King (The Secrets of Droon, #9)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)

Magic Tree House "Merlin Missions" (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Christmas in Camelot (Magic Tree House, #29)
  • Haunted Castle on Hallow's Eve (Magic Tree House, #30)
  • Winter of the Ice Wizard (Magic Tree House, #32)
  • Carnival at Candlelight (Magic Tree House, #33)
  • Season of the Sandstorms (Magic Tree House, #34)
  • Night of the New Magicians (Magic Tree House, #35)
  • Blizzard of the Blue Moon (Magic Tree House, #36)
  • Dragon of the Red Dawn (Magic Tree House, #37)
  • Monday with a Mad Genius (Magic Tree House, #38)
  • Dark Day in the Deep Sea (Magic Tree House, #39)