Start by marking “True Colours (Dan Shepherd, #10)” as Want to Read:
True Colours (Dan Shepherd, #10)

True Colours

(Dan Shepherd #10)

The Russian oligarchs are the world’s new elite. They treat the world as their plaything, traveling without borders and living lives of unimaginable luxury without fear or restraint. But when an assassin starts killing off some of the world’s richest men, an oligarch with friends in high places seeks the protection of MI5. And Spider Shepherd is placed in the firing line. ...more
Published July 18th 2013 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about True Colours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Colours

Carl
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read from Stephen Leather.
Spider Sheperd now works for secret squirrell as an undercover agent. Much the same thing he did for the Police but now with a licence to kill, well almost Bondish.
This story sees him guarding A Russian billionaire from a would be assassin.
Also a blast from the past turns from when Spider was in the SAS.
Here is a mystery to be solved and a murder to be committed.
All in all a good read.
As always this author delivers the goods.
Colin Mitchell
Spider Shepherd is an all action ex SAS ex police and now MI5. Lots of shooting. Flash backs to Afghanistan and old mates trying to avenge their friends. Set this alongside a Russian oligarch who is the last of four who is threatened by a sniper. All a world of excess but little happiness.

A good read, written at a fast pace but there is a lot of temptation to look at the end before you get there.
Gary
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the 10th book in the Dan Shepherd series by Stephen Leather and if I am really honest not quite at the same level as the previous 9 but still a 4 star rating. This really is an excellent series full of action and very strong characters and interesting sub plots. The more you read of this series the better it gets.
Phil Altimas
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spider-shepard
when a Russian oligarch that is bankrolling the British government is the victim of an attempted assassination spider is sent in under cover to check out his security

at the same time an old army friend meets up with spider , he has news of the man that shot spider when he was in the army

as always with Leather , the plot is great the pace is great
Richard Nessfield
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Not quite James Bond, the protaganist of this story, Spider Shepherd is a MI5 operative who is required to protect a Russian oligarch resident in London. At the same time Spider has to deal with an unwanted ghost from his past.
The story develops steadily, and if anything tends to plod along rather than blast the reader with climax after climax. It also describes society has been changing, and the dangers in leaping to conclusions.
Overall I enjoyed the solid building of tension, and the events (o
Neil
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is book 10 in the Dan 'Spider' Shepherd series. I have to say that this one doesn't quite measure up to the others in the series. The pacing seems rather more pedestrian than I have come to expect, and the writer appears to be making social comments, which although pertinent to the storyline did seem to slow things down. Several characters from Spider's past were introduced, but none of them really seemed to help move the plot along. The editing also appears to have suffered.
It was still re
Alistair Thompson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Spider Shephard book, and in fact the the first Stephen Leather book, I've read.

It was an enjoyable, fairly fast paced read with Leather managing to make you want to keep turning the pages. Although I could see the twists coming it didn't spoil the read with Leather managing to create enough intrigue and interest in the roles of the key protagonists to keep you wanting to read and see how they dealt with the twists in the story.

The book has definitely made me want to read more
Nabarun
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 10th book in the "Spider" series and its been a good ride so far!

As usual, this book also has 2 sub-plots like every other novel in this series. One plot was a bit boring and the other one was quite interesting, hence overall it was a quick exciting read.

Sub-plot 1 - Charlie brings in a baby-sitting job for Spider. A Russian oligarch who is currently living in UK, encounters a life threatening attack by a sniper. The oligarch has contacts in high places (The PM of UK, members in Parliament,
Jo
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea. A lot of action but it's unreal.
he Russian oligarchs are the world's new elite. They treat the world as their plaything, travelling without borders and living lives of unimaginable luxury without fear or restraint.

But when an assassin starts killing off some of the world's richest men, an oligarch with friends in high places seeks the protection of MI5. And Spider Shepherd is placed in the firing line.

But while Shepherd has to save the life of a man he neither likes nor respe
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first book I read by the Author. I know I know its the 10 in the series. Well, I had the physical book, listened to the Audiobook in order to make more space. Anyway my review. I liked it, works perfectly fine as a standalone. Looking forward to reading more by the Author.

I liked how it was based on a mission from his past but then also one of his future missions. The switching between the two was fine, it was clear what was the past and the present. It was also nice to see his old t
John Thurlbeck
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-leather
Stephen continues to deliver gripping, intricately crafted characters and story lines.

In this book, he mixes Spider's latest task with an episode from his former life and action in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban. Skilfully woven, the plot threads move back and forth, keeping up the suspense, even when you can anticipate what might happen next.

His latest task involves him in protecting a Russian oligarch, and the final scenes of that story kept me awake till I'd read the book!

I love Spider!

Chris Wheeler
It starts off reasonably well and then just moves into a sludgy slow plod, until the last 50 or so Pagès when the twists and turns come out and the book finishes.
Some reasonably thrilling bits but really not a book that you. couldn't put down.
I am probably not going to read another by this author.
Adrian
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 350 pages was like a cut and paste of the previous books in the series and droned on and on. The Russian story also seemed incidental to the Taliban story. That's enough Spider Shepard books for me.
Jim
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit light on the action this one. Old Spider doesn't do much until the last 10% of the book.
Nick Brett
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a superficial level this is a story about revenge. Spider Shepherd has been seconded to act as a bodyguard for a Russian Oligarch while planning a bit of payback for something that happened back in his SAS days.
But a Stephen Leather novel is never superficial and there is plenty of thoughtful sub-text here. What I like about the author's novels is that the characters change and evolve and they are reflected in a changing society. Spider is a little naïve, and has a very old fashioned sense of
David Savage
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True Colours by Stephen Leather is a gripping, thrilling British thriller in the Spider Shepherd series.

Russian billionaires, or oligarchs, are being targeted and killed. One man, a friend of the British Prime Minister, is afraid and brings in MI5 to help him. Dan ‘Spider’ Shepherd is giving the undercover task of protecting the Russian. The motive for the killings seems more personal than political and the fight is one to save the life of the billionaire as the assassin is sure to strike again,
Tony Nielsen
Having not read a Stephen Leather thriller for awhile, this is my second one, in what could be the start of a binge. Leather's tenth episode in the life and times of former SAS soldier and now M15 operative Spider Shepherd is a compelling read. When a number of highly influential (and notably rich) Russian emigrees are despatched Spider is seconded to Peter Grechko. His mission is to provide back-up and legitimacy to Grechko's team of minders, especially as he is able to carry arms in Britain an ...more
Shaun
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, let down by some shocking editing (or lack of).

Misspellings, fractured sentence and mistakes - what happened?

Some of the Spider books are a little hit and miss, as if he's dragged the series on further than he expected and still needs to drop odd references and characters in as callbacks.

What I've noted in some of the recent books is he's making more social commentary and speaking his mind as an author, and perhaps these call backs could be dropped as they never really seem to push t
Mark
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Another solid outing for Stephen Leather's all-action hero, once again juggling his personal life as well as his professional Undercover life. This time the personal action relates to an old event in Afghanistan in which Spider gets wounded (previously covered in one of the short stories; can't recall which). The narrative covers the events from another POV and basically turns everything on its head, creating good dramatic tension as the author intersperses the past events as well as the present ...more
Andrew Lone
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the tenth spider shepherd book by Stephen leather
Spider ex,sas,police, socca now working for mi5 undercover unit he is tasked to babysit a Russian billionaire who is a friend of the pm from a assassination after one bungled attempt
A old comrade appears from his past and brings evidence that brings back memories from his last SAS mission in Afghanistan when he was shot and the Taliban fighter who pulled the trigger now lives in the UK could revenge be on the cards
The spider shepherd books
Dan
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having passed through all of the Spider books with generally a hit or miss reaction, this one was actually quite good. I liked the attention to detail in describing certain scenes, with particular attention on the Russian's house and Stephen had obviously buffed up on the gym lingo for one scene and the entire book seemed to be well researched and well-executed.

There are the usual parallel stories in this one, bringing in a new character to the series with an obvious sequel in the midst judging
Mickey Hoffman
Although there was some suspense, the protagonist isn't very likeable or interesting and I'm really, really tired of heroes with photographic memories. There is a lot of descriptive prose in the book, descriptions of food, of home decor, etc., and it got to be too much. At one point, after reading that a road of mansions was lined with high walls and the character in question therefore couldn't see over the walls, he continued to describe many of them. At which point I just sighed.
Nathan Flamank
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the recent Dan Shephard novels this is certainly one of the better offering. The story isn't original in any way, shape or form but Leather handles it with skill and verve. The last few chapters are some of the best that Leather has written and it was good to see some female characters for a change.
Recommended for fans of the series.
Peter Sinfield
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I listened to a Spider Shepherd, and it was like a comfortable pair of shoes (or a rucksack full of bricks :-) )

Great read, will be following g with the next instalment in the near future.
Phillip Neil Clark
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best.

A great finish to the 10th book, tying up loose ends with Charlie Button TAKING on an evil Bond-like nature. I know all the Thai cities and liked more of the international style to the book. EXCELLENT. Phil Clark.
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Another great book in the dan shepherd series. Was great to see perry and t bone make an appearance from the jack nightingale books as they are really likeable characters. Cannot wait for the next one.
Kerry
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Stephen Leather. I often find two story lines running together dilute the quality of both story lines and are unnecessary, however Mr Leather go this to work without any trouble at all.

Another action packed page turner that vanishes time and is most enjoyable to lose yourself in.
John Hausrath
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. A very good thriller. Recommended. Will look forward to reading more books by this author.
Caroline Findlay
Not a bad read, but not as good as previous Spider books!! Running out of good story lines and rather repetitive!!
Ian Heap
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick review.
Good story overall. Some new characters introduced too, and I think a possible spin off character.
All good!!!!

• The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • For Valour (Nick Stone, #16)
  • Dead Men's Harvest (Joe Hunter, #6)
  • Stand By, Stand by (Geordie Sharp, #1)
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • The Persona Protocol
  • No Survivors (Samuel Carver, #2)
  • Payback (Paul Richter, #5)
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more

Dan Shepherd (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)
  • Cold Kill (Dan Shepherd, #3)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • White Lies (Dan Shepherd, #11)