Start by marking “The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)

The Girl of Hrusch Avenue

(Powder Mage #0.5)

Vlora is an orphan living at a boarding school as a ward of the state. Even at her young age, she already has enemies: the Bulldog Twins, Baron Fendamere, and her own headmistress. When a strange man offers to buy her, Vlora runs away and takes to the roofs above the gunsmithies of Hrusch Avenue. It is there that she meets a boy named Taniel and begins a friendship that wi ...more
Published June 28th 2013 (first published June 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl of Hrusch Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl of Hrusch Avenue

Start your review of The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
Choko
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, quickies
Taniel & Bo meet Vlora as kids. Very short but still a good addition to the series:) I enjoyed it...
Allen Walker
Jan 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
So this one was a breeze and fun to read, but it requires ignoring these facts about literally every Powder Mage story:

1) every noble (except any protagonists) is a puppy-kicking, mustache-twirling psychopath that thinks of nothing besides how to hunt commoners for sport

2) every scene with both Tamas and a noble will require, as if by compulsion, the noble to comment on Tamas' commoner background

3) every noble is ALSO the most fearsome duelist in the entire country

4) fake swearwords will be use
Orient
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a cute little girl! Loved it :)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short story set in the world of the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan. Speaking of which, if you haven't read the first novel Promise of Blood yet you're missing out. Featuring a rich setting with interesting characters and fascinating magic systems, I thought it was excellent for a debut novel and it's one of the best fantasy books I've read in 2013 so far.

You don't have to have read Promise of Blood to enjoy The Girl of Hrusch Avenue, though being familiar with its world and characters
Petros Triantafyllou
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This short story is Vlora's original story.
We see how she was living as an orphan, her first encounter with Taniel & Bo, and how she find out she was a Powder Mage, 10 years before Promise of Blood.
This story though made me hate Vlora even more, seeing how Taniel risked both his honor & his physical integrity to help Vlora, and how she payed back this favor in Promise of Blood, cheating on him with a random swagger.

Ps. I do not rate short stories.
Audrey
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting little story on Vlora’s past and her first meeting with Tamas and Taniel.
David Sven
A Flintlock Fantasy set in the World of Promise of Blood

It's a short Origins story featuring Vlora (Taniel's ex-Fiance) as a street urchin. We get to see how her and Taniel meet up.

Hrusch Avenue gets mentioned a lot in the main book as where they make the famous high quality "Hrusch" guns. I wonder if Hrusch the dog (owned by Tamas) will ever get an Origins story.

As a stand alone short story it's meh - unless you're a fan of Promise of Blood. I don't think you could appreciate it as much unless
Mr. Matt
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a short little book set ten or so years before the events in Promise of Blood. I picked it up immediately after finishing Promise of Blood because I just enjoyed the world and characters so much.

The Girl of Hrusch Avenue is the story of how Vlora, Taniel and Bo met. Vlora is an orphan run-away from a cruel mistress at a boarding school. She spends her time on Hrusch Avenue near the gunsmiths. For some reason she is drawn to this street - as is Taniel. The children have a variety of adven
Nimrod Daniel
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
That's the first work I read by Brian, and it was really great. Writing a short story is hard, but writing a good short story is much harder. Brian really managed to write an excellent story which make you want to know more about the world he created. Once the whole trilogy will be available then the series will be on the top of my list, and in the meanwhile it's nice to know that I have some more short stories to read in this world.

4.5/5
Julia Sarene
Really enjoyed learning about Vloras backstory! Another great entertaining in the powder mage world.
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, shortstory
This is the story of how Vlora met Taniel.

I am so bad with reviewing short stories, cos they are short!

Vlora has courage, she wants more. She meets Taniel, and that meeting puts her in the right direction.

I like these shorts, even if I do not have a lot to say at the end. I also think it might even work as a stand alone. But hey do read the series.
Aram Brazilian
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story when Vlora first meets Taniel, Bo, and Tamas - a lot of fun and as usual Tamas kicks ass - reminds me a little of that old movie The Little Princess with Shirley Temple!
Ryan Mueller
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another good Powder Mage short story from McClellan. It's always interesting to see the origins of some of the main characters. I also find McClellan's writing style is very easy to read. I don't notice the words, focusing instead on the story.

Rating: 8/10
Phee 💗💜💙
Seriously good stuff in this one. Really enjoyed seeing Taniel and more Tamas of course, Vlora was great too.
Olga
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one doesn't really add anything to the series but I still found it adorable. ...more
Miriam Michalak
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another short story companion book to the Powder Mage series. Here we get Vlora's back story - and very entertaining it was too! ...more
Tushar Patel
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Vlora, who is a young orphan girl with little mischief. In all she meet Taniel & Bo and they become friend. Fully enjoy it.
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
This one was really really cool:) the backround on vlora was very interesting. Another 5 star short story from the powder mage universer.
Christopher
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bogdan
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella
I`ve read better in this series of novellas. Decent stuff, anyway... ...more
chucklesthescot
Vlora has become interested in watching men firing the guns and longs to have one of her own. She has decided that she wants to steal a pistol but ends up getting chased by the bullies known as the Bulldog Twins, leading to a painful encounter with the evil Baron Fendamere. On discovering that her nasty guardian is going to sell her to a strange man, Vlora decides to run away and seeks help from two brothers Taniel and Bo, whose father is Tamas.

I've enjoyed reading some of these Powder Mage preq
Logan
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun quick story about the backstory of a secondary character in the first trilogy. Loved seeing them as young kids.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Vlora is a ten year old girl, an orphan who lives at a boarding school. She is a ward of the state. She wasn't sent to a usual orphanage because her parents were nobles. The world she lives in is harsh full of people like her headmistress who beats the children even after she stitches them when they are hurt, Baron Fendamere who doesn't think twice of hitting a child in the street and the Bulldog Twins, local street bullies and so on.
But it also has people like the boy Vlora would help against t
Darren
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the other Powder Mage short-Hope's End: A Powder Mage Short Story-McClellan has up as a kindle single. It is quite short, and as with Hope's End, is more of a tease to continue reading than offering real resolution. Worked well enough for me to pick up the novel as well, though. ...more
Adam
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun little easy read with an introduction to Vloras character as a 12 yr old child. A runaway orphan with a borderline obsession with guns, bails out when she learns of a mysterious man trying to buy her from the headmistress of her boarding school. She'll have none of that Sh!t, so she takes off, whereupon she meets Taniel and a friendship blooms.
Nothing to throw your whole library away over, though I did enjoy the small adventure story and learning where these 2 characters began.
Alex
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good short story that fills out new info about Vlora from the powder mage trilogy. Its an interesting look at the early days of soon to be Field Marshall Tamas. I can't wait to see more Vlora in future books. ...more
Lars Kongsrud
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can see the potential in this short story and the first in the series "The Powder Mage”. Guns and rifles are not often seen in fantasy books and I would like to see what Brian McClellan can do with this concept. ...more
Amy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
My fave of the Powder Mage prequels so far. We see how Vlora came to know Tamas and Taniel and start on the road to being a kick ass powder mage. Now, if we could just SEE her BEING that kick ass powder mage, that would be nice.
Jon
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second short story from In the Field Marshal's Shadow follows important characters from the main trilogy, albeit as children. We're introduced to a young Taniel, Bo, and Vlora. It's fun to see Vlora as the forefront of the story and we discover how she came into Tamas' fold. ...more
Justin
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it

Solid story, designed to get to know Vlora, or McClellan more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Girl of Hrusch Avenue [Oct 21, 2018] 4 13 Oct 28, 2018 04:46AM

• The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)
  • The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5)
  • Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
  • The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)
  • Evershore (Skyward, #3.1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Shadow of Elysium (The Shadow Campaigns #2.5)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Siege of Rage and Ruin (The Wells of Sorcery, #3)
  • Tales of the Greatcoats Vol. 1: Swashbuckling Fantasy Stories
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • An End to Sorrow (The Obsidian Path, #3)
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Camp

Powder Mage (3 books)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)