Start by marking “Emily Goes to Exeter (The Travelling Matchmaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emily Goes to Exeter (The Travelling Matchmaker, #1)

Emily Goes to Exeter

(The Traveling Matchmaker #1)

Miss Hannah Pym 45 retires from housekeeping to ride the 1800 stagecoach, first to Exeter. Spoiled beauty Emily flees marriage to older Lord Ranger Harley 33. Widow Lizzie Bisley regrets engagement to bully Captain Seaton, when others are more respectful, especially shy lawyer Fletcher. When snow strands them in an inn, Hannah organizes chores and romances.
Published 2011 by Contstable & Robinson (first published November 1990)

Treece
Rating: 5 stars

This book had all the wit, charm and sly humor to fulfill my inner English snob. Miss Hannah Pym is an entertaining, very likable, capable and kind character who is at peace with her faults and makes ready use of her most important skill: Managing people.

I had the pleasure of enjoying the audio version of this quick-paced, historically accurate, intelligent , character rich work. The description and setting details make this a thrill to listen to! Although I unraveled a few plot t
QNPoohBear
(This story is set in 1800, so not quite the Regency)

For nearly her whole life, Miss Hannah Pym has faithfully served the same employer. She has achieved her life long dream of becoming a housekeeper, however, she longs for something more - an adventure on one of the new fangled "flying machines" (stage coaches). When her employer dies and leaves her a legacy, his brother takes an interest in Hannah and encourages her to fulfill her dream. Hannah sets off on the stage and meets several eccentri
Amy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cotton-candy
A very fun story about a housekeeper turned lady who decides to use her newly acquired independence to travel. But of course, travel alone will not sake her thirst for adventure, she must cause chaos for those around her by matchmaking!
This book is primarily a "rom com" with the middle aged matchmaker tying together her couples. However, it also throws in a mystery so it kind of has that going for it.
I liked Miss Pym a great deal more than the Tribble sisters. Despite some shoe-horned 'ah, I'm
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing first book in 'The Matchmaker' series. Loved the adventurous Miss Pym and her thirst to experience more of life.
Ruth
Quaint, charming, clean, late Georgian/almost Regency romance where the main character is a retired housekeeper who has decided to take a stagecoach journey just for the fun of it. She's also an inveterate gossip and a busybody, so she turns to matchmaking when their coach is stuck for several days as a tiny inn because of a blizzard.

Not a lot of character development, and at times it felt like a farce, or an amateur theatrical, as characters shifted partners like they were at a dance.

Light and
Emy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice fluffy read. Great for a day when feeling under the weather :)
Judy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The traveling matchmaker series is an interesting historical series. I read these number of years ago and was just minded of them. I need to look at this author again.
Hannah
Overall rating for this 6 book series: 2.5 stars.
Emily Goes To Exeter: A Novel of Regency England - Being the First Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Belinda Goes To Bath A Novel of Regency England - Being the
Second Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Penelope Goes To Portsmouth: A Novel of Regency England - Being the Third Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Beatrice Goes To Brighton A Novel of Regency England - Being the Fourth Volume of The Traveling Matchmaker

Deborah Goes to Dover: A Novel of R
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a feel good read and I really enjoyed it. The only MC Beaton books I had read before were the Agatha Raisin ones but a friend lent me the Travelling Matchmaker books as she had enjoyed them. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series as Hannah is such a great character and I love books set in the Regency era. In this the first book, Hannah Pym, a housekeeper, watches the stagecoach pass the gloomy house where she works and dreams being able to board it and of finding adventur ...more
Emily
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2012, kindle, fiction
I bought this in an Amazon Kindle sale and chose it out of the series only because it had my name in the title. I didn't even think that reading them in order might make sense. Thank goodness this was the first!

Sweet, simple. Just enough mystery, just enough romance. Nice time period. I look forward to the other books in the series.
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Charlotte Smith
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, always been my favourite author now and have read a few of her books, reread has I forgot I had read it
Susan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery and a little bit of a love story. Read very well. It reminds me a little bit of Georgette Heyer but with a different kind of humor.
Pöfivonat
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kellemes kikapcsolódás, semmi extra. Pont egy hétvégi könnyed olvasnivaló. :)
Kathryn
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of the Traveling Matchmaker books in a week or so. They are short and fun. Very light reading but very enjoyable!
Shelly
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recorded-books
Good library download. I listened while doing other things.
notyourmonkey
An effervescent froth of a novel, with a pleasingly older heroine, a book I should have forgotten about almost as soon as I turned the last page. But over the last day, I've found myself mulling on some character descriptions and a humorous (well - "humorous") scene again and again, and I have to say it: I am so. goddamn. tired. of Fat Person As Comically Disgusting And Embarassing trope. Is this a major part of the novel? Not at all. Has it ruined it for me? Yep.

(view spoiler)
Annette
A very delightful read. This is the first book in The Traveling Matchmaker series featuring Miss Hannah Pym. In this book we discover how Miss Pym got her start. Surprisingly, our miss Pym is left the sum of 5000 pounds by her now deceased employer. She is practically an heiress now. When asked by her deceased employer's brother what she would like to do most, Miss Pym saya she would like to travel and see the world or at least all of England. So we see her set out on her first adventure by trav ...more
Jodie
I am so glad to have found Marion Chesney. Her books are so great for a little escape from reality. Not heavy or stressful. Sweet stories that make me smile a lot. I want to read them all!
Miss Hannah Pym has retired from being a housekeeper, after she was left an inheritance in her employer’s will. She decides she is going to travel on the stagecoach she has always watched from the window of her employer’s home.
On the stagecoach she meets Emily, who happens to be dressed as a young man. Emily ha
Ellie
A quick, mostly fun read. I got frustrated by tropes and overly-descriptive writing.

'Hannah was by now Sir George's devoted slave. No one in her life had treated her with such courtesy. He was a god. But some innate sensitivity made her mask her adoration. She feared that he might misread any admiration on her part and think this family servant was getting ideas above her station.'
Please no...

'Opposite her was a beautiful young man, too fashionably dressed for coach travel. He saw Hann
Kate  Maxwell
This was a fun and very quick read! You gotta love the pluck of Hanna Pym housekeeper to heiress who wants nothing more than to travel.
"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
While she encounters highwaymen, being stuck in the mud, caught in a snow storm, and would-be murderers, Hannah has an incredibly positive attitude and does what she can to rally those around her. While doing all of this, she is
Sandra Strange
The protagonist is really enchanting, a head housekeeper retired when her employer dies. However, with his death comes a bequest that allows her to fulfill her fondest dream: to travel away from the estate where she has always lived and served. She decides to travel to Exeter, with a new wardrobe befitting her status as an almost lady, and thereby has the kind of adventure she has always dreamed about: when the coach and its occupants, including a runaway heiress and the aristocrat she is runnin ...more
Krisz
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ez nagyon cuki sztori volt, nagyon bennem maradt a hangulat! Tuti elolvasom a következő részt, olyan érzelmes, bájos-haragvós-fondorkodós, kíváncsi vagyok, mit hoz még össze Miss Pym!
MC nagyon jól megoldotta, hogy Miss Pymet mindenki szereti, ettől mi is imádjuk, lord Harley meg aztán olyan szimpátikus, hogy melyik olvasó nem szeret bele? És Sir George-ba?
Még gondolkodom, lehet, hogy kedvenc könyvem is lesz... meglátom a többi részt!
(Azt sajnálom, hogy Miss Pymnek Hannah a keresztneve, szerintem
Darien
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Old-school, gentle regency story with a simple plot; great for reading with a pot of Earl Grey at hand. What I like about this series is that the main protagonist is NOT the ubiquitous Duke's daughter, or other nobility, but in stead a commoner who looks at the social world of the Ton as an outsider. No emphasis is given to ballrooms or the social whirl - instead we see another social and economic side of the regency period, which allows for a more interesting variety of characters from all walk ...more
Jo Barton
Listened to the audiobook via Borrowbox. Sweet and simple. Easy to follow. I will probably listen to the next one if it shows up but won't hunt it down. I like to listen to these simple ones between more emotionally taxing reads.
Stephanie
A year or two ago I listened to a couple of Chesney's other series that are very similar in theme, and I thought they were silly but charming. I just wasn't feeling it here. Don't know if I'll pick up any of the others.
Judy Scholl
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this several years ago, but I’m rereading or reading for the first time all the works of M.C. Beaton (Marion Chesney). A whimsical romance emphasizing the difference in class in the 1800s in England.
Squirrel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story, so many different personalities, locations, events, turns. Great fun! I am both excited and hesitant to read the rest of the series - will they be equally good? Only one way to find out!
Jessica
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a super cute fast read. I was (and still am), however, more invested in Hannah's potential relationship with Sir George than I ever was with Emily and Lord Hadley's. But it's really light-hearted read that is perfect for when you want something quick, happy, and simple.
Kate
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Another lovely romance by Chesney! I'm enjoying Hannah's travels and matchmaking (I moved on to book 2 immediately), but I still find myself missing the larger casts of A House for the Season and Poor Relations).
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • Tilly
  • The Incomparable Miss Compton (Rogues and Rakes, #7)
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • The Renegade and the Rose (Renegade, Rebel and Rogue, #1)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • The Duel
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • Indiscreet (London Friends, #1)
  • Winter Wedding
  • Lady Star (Sir Edward Series, #2)
  • Emerald Embrace
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly

The Traveling Matchmaker (6 books)
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker, #3)
  • Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)
  • Deborah Goes to Dover (The Traveling Matchmaker, #5)
  • Yvonne Goes to York (The Traveling Matchmaker, #6)