Start by marking “The Last Day” as Want to Read:
The Last Day

The Last Day

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  597 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review:
Christmas Eve, 1999. A comet, satellite, or perhaps the finger of God, rends the night sky above Israel and rains fiery destruction on a top-secret military research facility in the Negev. Only one mute and naked survivor struggles from the ruins in the aftermath of the explosion, then vanishes into the desert unnoticed.
Drawn by the rumor of
Published September 1st 1998 by Vision (first published November 19th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Day

Johannes
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning it seems as though this is yet another Science-fiction story, with criticism of the normal science and warfare services. But soon it appears that not only against science and the (Israeli) secret service is protested, but against anything that is not in accordance with the teachings of the great masters.
The parables of Jessa follow the same picture as those of Jesus, but in a modern form that fits more with our time.

The statements between the two groups of supporters and opponen
Charles Altman
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a science fiction reader and I came upon this book by accident at a book fair. I bought it, and it was one of those books I could not put down. It is the story of Jeza the second coming of Christ. I was fascinated because it illustrates how the church has all this wealth, and Jeza (the real Christ 2) is commanded by God to have the Catholic Church "disband" and use all of its amassed wealth to help people in need.

Now that is fascinating to me, and I found myself thinking about this book ag
Rage
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Last Day is an absolutely fabulous book that makes you take some time and just think. It's full of ideas and scenarios that probably will freak the hell out of people that don't live with an open mind. For a first time fiction novel by an author who clearly states that this is a work of fiction, I say well done Glenn Kleier. I commend you for ripping a big fat hole in that box of religious propoganda. If you have been indocrinated into a judgemental being then you will find fault with anythi ...more
Cathy Ryan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the millennium approaches there is an unexplained explosion in the desert in Southern Israel which completely destroys a laboratory. One person survives and there begins an extraordinary story. When an ethereal young woman appears on New Years Eve things start happening in earnest, involving the news media, the Vatican, assassination plots and reports of miracles not to mention conspiracies and an aspect of science fiction too.

This is a very engrossing read. The research and details are amazi
Janet
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Last Day". The plot was satisfyingly twisty, and I appreciate Mr. Kleir's extensive research into rapidly evolving mass media, modern Middle Eastern history and politics, particularly regarding intelligence and warfare, as well as his comprehensive knowledge of Roman Catholicism, the inner workings of the Vatican in particular. The complex characters Glenn portrays are vividly drawn, and they all display good development as the story progresses. More importantly, I foun ...more
Plum-crazy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intriguing read about the arrival of a possible new Messiah at the turn of the Millenium. Is this young female a divine emissay as she claims or merely the product of a blasphemous & bizarre scientific experiment. As you would expect the world & it's religions are divided in their opinions.

On the whole the story works pretty well, the new parables from Apotheosis, the "new" testament are a nice touch.

The ending for me was a bit of a let down but then a book about a possible Armage
Matt Hall
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have often wondered whether the worlds Christian churches would actually recognise the second coming of Chrtist as such an event would be a threat to their power, control and wealth. This even though the return of the Messiah is the basis for their very existence. The Last Day is a must read for anyone questioning the status quo of organised religion. This should make an awesome movie however sadly I sincerely doubt that any studio would take on such controversial material for fear of upsetti
Barbara Dycus
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I already question and doubt organized religions. I feel they will do and say whatever it takes for them to hold their congregations in their grips all for the sake of money. I would love for a "Messiah" to come along and shake them to their very core, maybe then people would wake up and realize they have been had all this time.
Karen Azinger
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent and thought-provoking read. A cross between science-fiction, post apocalyptic, and Middle-East thriller, its premise is out of date, since 2000 is long past, but this is one of the books I re-read every other year. An interesting and well written book.
Tamara Bennett
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
i LOVE apocalyptic/end-of-days books. This one had some really interesting twists. I questioned the intent & truth of the events & heroes of the book until the end & even then I still wondered about the possibilities.
Frances
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I keep searching for a really good apocalyptic/end of days book. This is the closest I've come to the one I'm looking for. Very interesting reinterpretation of the Bible. Very enjoyable with good twists and turns.
Kathy
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First, in a genre plagued with very mediocre writing, this book is a welcome change. Thank you Glenn!

I am not so gifted with words, so I will just say that I found this book fascinating, with finely crafted characters and a though-provoking plot. I could not wait to find out how he would end it, but did not want it to end. Frankly I worried about how the author would actually bring it to a satisfying ending and was surprised and pleased with his choices. I consider myself a "progressive Christi
Eeva Lancaster
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as a paperback way back when I collected them, and I haven't forgotten the story. Which tells you it's one of those books that stays with you. Part science fiction, part religious mystery, part christian fantasy, part conspiracy thriller, The Last Day is an original and fascinating take on the Second Coming.

This woman appeared in our present day, and for religious fanatics, it was noticed that she was enacting the prophecies in the bible; the sequence of events that needs to
Kerith
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I started off suspicious and not certain if I should give my time to this book, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Part wishful thinking, part thoughtful what-if of human reaction, this is quite a well-done story of the Second Coming. Except this time the Messiah is a woman. (I rather liked that) Her message wasn't always easy to swallow -- she wanted all the churches, etc, to disband because they were "misleading" people -- but some of it was wonderful, such as her liberation of women from what m ...more
J. Ewbank
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, novel
This novel is not my normal type of book. It is a very unusual book and I liked it. It had to overcome my skepticism about the topic of the book but it did and I thought the book was a good read.

I think that mystery readers and sci-fi readers and some religious people interested in the end of things will find this an interesting read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Kara Fogle
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book! My husband brought it into our home & we fought over who would re-read it first, we both enjoyed it thoroughly!! Glenn takes you on a journey of intrigue & made me re-evaluate some of my personal held beliefs. What all good books should do this one does in spades: makes you think, keeps you interested, opens your mind to new possibilities!! Bravo Glenn Kleier!!
Amanda Pants
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that, even though I read it years ago, I think about regularly. The twists and care given to creating three dimensional characters were highly appreciated. I felt terribly sorry for the Pope.

You get nothing more from me to avoid spoilers - just read it!
Sandra
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this book and found it just as amazing as the first time around. It is very well researched and, although billed as a thriller, is a more thoughtful and interesting novel than what you would expect. It was amazing and I can't wait for the author's next book.
Judemurdeaux
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
If you want a book that will keep you up all night and when your not reading it you are thinking about the story continually, then Last Day will do it. Five stars says it all since I can not give it six or nine or more.
Tara Long
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone. He is a little known author and this may be his only book. Once you get into this book you will not put it down. I lost many hours of sleep because of this book (in a good way).
Davin
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Glenn Kleier did a great job researching his information. The book follows parts of the Bible and revelations but has a modern theme to it. There are twist and turns to keep you reading. It is designed for fun reading not for a religious discussion.
Cora Denise
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books.
Wendy
Sep 02, 2017 added it
(found read date in diary)
Don
Great story!

Shame the conclusion would never become even remotely true.
Dale Heiken
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it first came out, one of my favorites.
Maddi Hausmann
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maddi by: Amazon
I've never read a book like this before, and I'm still trying to figure out what genre to call it. It's not science fiction, because the science is nonsense. It's a thriller, but it's also apocalyptic/End Times foolishness. The author clearly has a beef with organized religion, which makes for a curious mix. The problem is, he didn't do enough of his homework to make the book believable, and I am not referring to the existence of Jeza the Possible Messiah, or even the research project that begat ...more
Juan Nieto Cano
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Este es uno de esos libros del que no sabes como ni por qué te llama la atención de entre tantos y tantos como puede haber en una biblioteca, y te decides y lo coges, y no me ha defraudado para nada. Un libro excelente, jamás había leído algo parecido. La historia no decae en ningún momento, no sabes si Jeza es una verdadera o falsa mesías, si el Papa y el Vaticano están tomando una decisión correcta o equivocada, se mantiene muy bien la intriga. La últimas 60 páginas son las más trepidantes, no ...more
Vinnie Watkins
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It isn't very often you find a thriller that makes a moral statement. This book does. I read Mr. Kleier's second book before this one and loved it. I love this one too but for different reasons. It is, in its most simple analysis, a thriller where science and religion take center stage but there isn't debate about which one has it right. Instead the book makes a statement about what religion should be in this day and age. Jeza is eloquent and tolerant. Without spoiling anything I will say it is ...more
Jason
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Stumbled across it in a bookshop one day and thought it sounded quite interesting, then it sat on my shelf for ages. When I finally got round to reading it I was pretty upset with myself for making it wait so long.

An interesting take on religion and I can really see things playing out like this in real life if this was to happen. I do wish that this had been written in more recent times, it would have been interesting to see how the author would have incorporated Facebook and tw
Jess
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The attention to detail as far as biblical passages and descriptions of locations and people was excellent. While reading the book, a lot of the author's story could be seen as an actual possibility, but reading it more than a decade after the time line of the book made me see it as a little far fetched. I think if I had read this in 1999, it would have been 100 times more believable and possibly "food for thought." It took a few days to get in to it...I struggled through the first few chapters ...more
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • Dragon Secrets (OutCast, #2)
  • Centenary Separation (Watchbearers, #2)
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Slipping
  • Matcher Rules
  • Afterbirth (Strandville Zombie Series, #2)
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • If You're Going Through Hell Keep Going (Mann of My Dreams #1)
  • Obedience (Dave Brandstetter, #10)
  • Broken Blades
  • Best Vacation That Never Was
  • Chosen: Episode One (The Demon Gate, #1)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley, #3)
Author of novels THE LAST DAY (Warner Books) and THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD & EVIL (Macmillan)
More about Glenn Kleier