Start by marking “Unsettled: The Search for Love and Meaning” as Want to Read:
Unsettled: The Search for Love and Meaning

Unsettled: The Search for Love and Meaning

The hundred-room house is a rich tapestry of memories and hidden secrets, a dark, forbidding place rumoured to be haunted by a vengeful Yakshi. Propelled by a desire to save their marriage, Divya and Raghav journey to the haunted mansion in search of the mythical Scrolls of Love.

Written five hundred years ago by the banished court poet Shankara, they are fabled to have the
Published June 12th 2013 by Indireads

To ask other readers questions about Unsettled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsettled

Start your review of Unsettled: The Search for Love and Meaning
Claire
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I wasn't really even sure what I was to encounter with this book, with its reference to supernatural/paranormal but coming from the story telling heritage of southern India. Also the dichotomy of a romantic title and what seemed to me to be a dark and foreboding cover. Unsettling indeed.

It is a novella, so a relatively quick read and starts out as a contemporary love story, or should I say a "they may have fallen out of love" story. To heal their relationship the young couple Divya and Raghav se
Sundari Venkatraman
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I somehow feel that Black Clove is going to be one of the favourite series of books on Indireads. It deals with the supernatural and hence is quite fascinating to the public. Although I am a great fan of JK Rowling's Harry Potter Series, I am rather wary of reading the genre.

But I have to mention here that I just loved reading UNSETTLED by Neelima Vinod. The book was totally fascinating and well researched.

Divya and Raghav's married life appears to be going down the drain. When Divya visits the
Rajeesh Gopinath
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The novella “unsettled” is like Poetry. Beautifully written and fill us with love and fantasy. The events are so woven as thread in fabrics. A Good read and expect more from Neelima Vinod. See below from “unsettled”

“There is only this much that I can do to stop my girl, Thatri. Your grandmother never told you how my heart bleeds for her (I have listened to her tell our stories). Wouldn’t any heart ache, knowing how she was found dead? She never understood that love is not for her – She pulls it
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bone-chilling and eerily beautiful Neelima’s Unsettled is poetry in verse. A beautifully written novella on the gradual crumbling of a marriage and the deepest darkest motivations of men and women, the book will stay with you for a long time to come. With lyrical descriptions and sentences that slither seamlessly across the pages, Neelima proves her prowess as a writer whose name should be bookmarked for the future.
A book not only for those who are interested in the supernatural genre but also t
Sumeetha Manikandan
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A royal court, a beautiful courtesan and a poet! The story begins with Divya and Raghavan, a warring couple on the brink of a divorce. Their marriage counsellor Dr Ray want them to search for the scrolls of love, the beautiful poem written by Shankara, the banished poet. But the scrolls are guarded by thathri, a Yakshini of immense power.

I loved the lyrical quality of Neelima’s writing. Perfectly structured, each word seems to be at its right place. The supernatural aspect of the Yakshini’s love
Ananya Deol
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
An unparalleled and a one of its kind novella, ‘Unsettled’ is an enchanting and a gripping read. It ‘ll captivate you, charm you , enthrall you and make you yearn for more. The story is carved beautifully and the magic adds that extra tinge of spice to it. While love being the focal point, it is not one of those cliched love stories you would be tired of reading, it is something magical, something ‘out of the box’. I applaud Neelima’s ability to make the supernatural so believable and for so smo ...more
Shuchi Kalra
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about Unsettled is that is SO BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN! I went through some of the passages over and over again just to soak in the lyrical beauty of the prose. A modern-day couple battling marital problems, a mysterious doctor, a royal poet from centuries ago and the sad seductress Tathri – the book has everything that will fascinate readers of paranormal romances. Clearly, a lot of research has gone into the story and Neelima pulls off the genre with rare aplomb. UNSETTLED is a delig ...more
Roopa Raveendran Menon
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Unsettled, Neelima Vinod takes the reader down the labyrinthine lanes of the supernatural, myths and love in a writing style that stirs you to the core. Elegant lyrical prose, an engaging plotline, soulful characters and an understated sexiness swirls around this book. This is an absolutely memorable read!
Riaz Mulla
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the way Unsettled moves between the past and the present, between prose and poetry and between love and mystery and though it is about paranormal romance it gets just rightly 'horrific.'

Specially beautiful are the passages of poetry constructed in between the prose and the lyrical quality of some of the statements. Makes you read them more than a couple of times.
Jigar Doshi
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
brilliant writing. short (70 pages) but a riveting read. often, makes you want to re-read certain portions just to soak in that beauty of writing. two stories run in parallel and both stories have been well developed in spite of being a novella.
must-read.
whole review : http://jigar-doshi.com/2014/02/unsett...
Anuradha Prasad
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Neelima Vinod's "Unsettled" is a novella that can be finished in a single sitting. The author's lyrical prose carries you through time and realms into what is a haunting love story, and a quest for love and closure. The author's facility with language deserves applause. It compels you to experience the ordinary through extraordinary and magical lens. ...more
Dola Singh
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Unsettled is a tale of love. True love that makes people face the impossible as well as the dark unrequited love that makes them haunt a place forever.

Divya suspects her husband Raghav of cheating on her with his childhood friend. Plagued by vivid dreams and determined to save her marriage, she consults Dr. Ray, a notable therapist suggested by her friend Emily. When he suggests that they visit her village Cherakad in search of the Scrolls of Love which will help bring love back into their marr
Nabanita
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Unsettled is a tale of love lost and found, a tale of salvaging a dying relationship through a miracle of the past. When Divya chances upon her husband Raghav consoling his childhood friend Anu in a manner too close for comfort her harshest fears are realized. Her doubts about him having an affair seem valid after his growing proximity with Anu. Raghav on the other hand is exhausted with Divya’s prying questions and constant scrutiny. What they had, their rapport and love, is on the brink of col ...more
Gayathri Manikandan
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unsettled, the story of a couple and their visit to a haunted house in hopes of saving their marriage is an excellent read. Just few pages into it and am convinced I have a good read at hand and with every page I feel that it is surpassing my expectations. As the story progresses, am just traveling with it, eager to find what the story is all about. Both the story of the couple and that of the yakshi are convincingly narrated. Considering that it is a novella, the Author gets across the characte ...more
Pamela Fernandes
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
lovely read. I don't know why I didn't start this book earlier,but once I did it was hard to stop. Plus with all the rains n thunder pages from the book came to life. Raghav n his wife are having marital trouble, so they travel to Cherakad to find the scrolls of love. the scrolls have recorded some of the most beautiful poetry from Shankara who is my fav character here.
the best part of the book is the poetry, even Thathri who claims to be unschooled speaks so poetically,that it flows into song.
Shevlin Sebastian
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘Unsettled’ is a good read. The story moves forward smoothly; sometimes we are in contemporary times, with Divya and Raghav and the typical problems faced by a young couple, at other times, we are with Shankara and Thatri during their intense love affair. Neelima’s depiction of the inner life of her female characters is exceptional, although she could do better with the men. Nevertheless, this is a promising debut.
Bhavya
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since it is a novella, it doesn’t consume much of your time and can be finished off in one sitting; but during that time the book takes you to the place where the story is set. You can literally see the odd-eyed cat that stares at you through the broken glass window.

Full review here:
Bookish Jyo
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
It is a short read, which can be finished in one sitting. I would recommend the read to anyone who is interested in folklore and enjoys a good Yakshi story.

Read my review : http://jyothisdayout.com/2014/01/16/b...
Parichita Singh
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Unsettled is a story which mixes past and present. In present Divya’s marriage is crumbling all around her. To salvage her relationship, she goes to a marriage counselor, Dr. Ray, who tells her that solution to her problem lies in the old haunted house of her childhood, whose story still lingers in her dreams. He convinces Raghav and Divya to go to that house, where the legend says that the scroll of love is hidden.

That’s how we move to the story of Tathri, a Yakshi or a vampire seductress who h
Dhivya Balaji
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Unsettled is tagged as ‘A Search for Love and Meaning’. It is a tale that combines a touch of fantasy / history and modern day problems. Divya is a Keralite who has married a Maharashtrian Raghav. She has a happy life until she starts suspecting that her husband is in an affair with his old flame, Anu. Doubt starts eating her mind as she sees Raghav talking with Anu one day, standing close to her.

Unable to concentrate on her work and feeling bad about her marriage, she consults a psychiatrist w
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The novella – ‘Unsettled’ is a journey of unsettled souls to the ‘Scrolls of Love’. The author has very smartly and at the same time very beautifully connected her childhood folklore with the contemporary example of an unsettled couple of her creation.

The story begins as ‘Divya’ finds her husband – ‘Raghav’, consoling one of his old friends, whom she considers his girlfriend. The very sight of her husband embracing another woman takes her back to the old memory lane, when these were in deep true
Inderpreet Uppal
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first read about the novella Unsettled on Indireads and was quite intrigued to say the least. Here is an Indian love story that spoke of love, longing and supernatural as the most natural of things.

After reading the novella I agree with the author that they do indeed go together. The premise of love changing a person and enduring suffering is not new for the path of true love is never easy.

The Yakshi and her magic, the images and mirages she creates are all spell binding, lending us an insight
Geeta Nair
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A marriage gone sour, the knots ready to break free, a desperate wife, a love thirsty Yakshi, a lover entrapped in a haunted house wanting to break free from the Yakshi and regain his freedom , an apparition staying guard on the Yakshi and a psychiatrist wanting the fabled ancient ‘Scrolls of Love’ are the people, the elements that go into the making of ‘Unsettled.’

‘Unsettled’ is a novella, a paranormal story that delves into the supernatural. ‘Unsettled’ as the name suggests, deals with unsettl
Manogna
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The novella unfolds with Divya ,the Keralite married to Maharastrian Raghav, whom she suspects is cheating on her, with his childhood friend Anu. Trying to save her marriage, Divya meets Dr.Ray, the marriage counselor.

After the second session with Divya and a sceptic Raghav ends, Dr.Ray suggests they should take a break, where else but Cherakad, the place haunting Divya and her dreams.

Divya and Raghav should now retrieve the Scrolls of Love from the haunted 100-roomed Big House, to save their ma
Pratibha Pandey
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-fiction
The longing of a Yakshi and the words of a young poet who lost all his poems and thoughts to this passionately possessive creature make for a great story of love , obsession , power and the final freedom that some times comes not from lovers but from others who pine with us.

I loved the writing of the book. The poetry mixed in the narration is lovely and so refreshing. the take the story forward and also give it a haunting voice. Long after you finish the book , you will feel the beauty of the ma
Tarang Sinha
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The book is about finding and redefining love with a paranormal touch. Actually, two interesting stories flow simultaneously in Unsettled. The narration is lucid and writing style of the author is indeed beautiful. It was a quick and nice read!

Read the read full review on my blog: http://tarangsinha.blogspot.in/2014/0...
Vinay Leo
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it

Review at A Bookworm’s Musing: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2B5

The book and its plot is presented very well, giving due importance to both stories, that of the characters and of the mansion. It’s a breezy read, simple and enjoyable. For me, the story was quite predictable, but that may not be so in general. I’d say you can try this and decide.
Arti
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book is beautifully written, with both poetry and prose complementing each other. The characters are life-like and Divya is a normal human being with reasonable emotions.

The story is mostly about Shankara Shastry and the Yaksh and Divya and Raghav are characters put in to bring the main story out.

Overall, a nice, eerie read.

More on http://wp.me/p3cEWT-l3
Abhaga
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story carried by the lyrical prose. Good thing is that it is the right length. Doesn't rush and doesn't linger. At places, the writing does become unclear.

I loved the poem: one from the Scrolls of Love and the one that also anchors the story through out.

Do you know what loneliness is?
It's the cracking of the bone
And the hungry fire burning you from within.
Elisa
Oct 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
How can a haunted-house story with ghosts be this boring? I guess it's too poetic for my taste, like Bollywood movies, which I just don't get at all. Too bad, I had high hopes for this book. ...more
Neelima Vinod is a writer, editor, and mentor.

She creates worlds when she is not at work and reads when she does not write. The yakshi spirit she writes about is an amalgamation of the oppressed voices of women and her love for poetry.

Neelima has several publications in literary journals and newspapers and two books including a fantasy novella to her credit. She works as an editor and teaches stud

News & Interviews