Start by marking “Advent” as Want to Read:
Advent

Advent

Sporadic terrorist attacks in recent years have left the world reeling in shock and horror. But what if the agenda of the men behind one terrorist organization was much darker - to fulfill a prophesy almost as old as time itself?

Advent begins with a massive coordinated attack in the streets of Jakarta, indonesia. Seven mobile oil tankers are exploded leaving hundreds dead
Published June 21st 2013 by DM Books (first published June 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Advent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advent

Start your review of Advent
Robin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of thrillers and biblical conspiracies
Enjoyed this book tremendously. The story begins with a small group of people planning a series of terrorist attacks in Indonesia presumably to disrupt presidential elections in the US.

An American fleet is sent to the region in a build-up to a counterstrike but the consequences are deadly.

Dire biblical predictions of Judgement Day are woven into this fast-paced thriller. It was one hell of an exciting ride!
Sapper
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical, terrorism, war
This thriller continues the story first framed in Year of the Tiger. It is now several years later and it begins in Asia where a terrorist organization carries out a major strike on civilian targets using truck bombs. The descriptions are both accurate and chilling. A lot of research and details of the attack adds to the authenticity of the writing and the suspense. But this coordinated hit was simply the prelude to an even bigger hit - taking out part of Singapore with a nuclear weapon.

I was c
John
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in thrillers and terrorism
Shelves: terrorism
Picked this one up thru Kindle Prime - a good intelligent read that kept me turning the pages. I enjoyed the way recent history was synced within the storyline to produce a well crafted modern-day thriller.

Lauren
Shelves: war, terrorism, bible
What started out as a story about terorists exploding some oil tankers and then getting their hands on a nuclear bomb soon takes on an even darker twist.

I loved the way parts of the bible were merged into the story in a way that suddenly for me, made sense. It was a nail-biting plot and while I rushed through the story to find out how it all ends, I think I'll take my time reading this again.

If you like Dan Brown, you will love this. If you don't like Dan Brown because of his lengthy prose and
Brenda
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was such an adventure which I thoroughly enjoyed. Unlike many other thrillers where one has to wade through lots of fluff and distracting subplots, this book was a pure joy to read.

Like some other reviewers, I did feel that there were some semblance to Dan Brown's infamous books but Advent proved to be much better in getting to the meat of the plot quickly and fuss-free.

I loved the biblical references which suddenly began to make sense to me. The signs of Judgement Day was a little to
Jason
Shelves: singapore, terrorism
This is certainly one of the more interesting thrillers I've come across recently. It had a good and engaging plot which left me guess how it would evolve. The book provides a fresh backdrop on the current terrorist situation where their real goal is not as obvious as we may think. Loved the biblical references which added some spice to an already engaging read. Waiting patiently for the next installment. Good job.
Jarrod
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To me Advent has two distinct stories that merge into one as the plot evolves.

The first is the terrorist angle - how the group plots to take our their intended targets. Nice details with good pacing. I like the behind the scenes look at how the US evaluates threats and attempts to counter them. The attitudes and thought processes seems spot on with the way recent governments have dealt with the modern-day threats posed by terrorists. The book alludes to the purely figurehead role bin Laden actu
Jeremy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book lived up to expectations. The action was sharp and thrilling without the chapters being dragged out as many tend to do. The suspense was maintained to the end with the reader kept guessing how the plot would evolve.

An unexpected surprise for me was the interplay of good and evil where the forces deemed to be good weren't all that pure and the evil me were just ordinary people caught up in circumstances beyond their control.
Linda
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Advent by David Miller.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and heartily endorse anyone to read it.

Keep your mind open because this deals with tough subject matter. Mr Miller weaves a tale that is plausible within the societies in our current world. I am disturbed by the fact that it can be. We all need to stay aware of how our leaders and those around them can and do affect the course of events every day of our lives.

It is set in many locales and shows how different people
Catherine
A worthy follow-up to the Year of the Tiger, this book was certainly more intricate and devilishly delicious.

The research was telling making it hard to distinguish between fact, fiction and well, possibilities. It certainly puts a terrifying spin on the issue of terrorism that we face today which appears to be so random and mindless.

Advent proposes a far older and darker overtone to a modern-day problem.
Khalid Yusoff
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Advent is a gem of a novel - it has an intriguing plot which develops quickly without the distracting fluff so common in many modern day thrillers The writer gets down to the heart of the matter and the twists left me wanting more. I hope there is a sequel.

This book like Holy Blood Holy Grail & the Da Vinci Code with their sensitive religious inference & conspiracy theories, needs to be read with an open and mature mindset.
Gary
Shelves: terrorism, singapore
In summary, this was a fun book to read, a pure thriller with lots of action and suspense till the very end. I rate it a 3.5
Gena
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I found the first part of this book on terrorism very engaging and it got better in the second half when some biblical predictions came into play. It was an interesting take on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - just normal people hand picked against their wishes to fulfill an age-old prophesy.

All in all, a great read.
Trinity
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Weaves several conspiracy theories into an intelligent coherent read. I hope there will be a sequel.
Mark
May 03, 2014
Shelly Gavin
Jul 13, 2018
Thomas Sim
Aug 17, 2013
Carol
Jim Simpson
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2018
Michael Kennett
Oct 03, 2013
Michael
Oct 13, 2013
A former newspaper correspondent and managing editor for a number of magazines, David Miller has written several commercial books over the years.

His first novel Year of the Tiger was published in August 2012. His second, Advent, was published a year later.

He is currently working on a sequel to Advent.

News & Interviews