Start by marking “Woman on Top” as Want to Read:
Woman on Top

Woman on Top

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Kate after the heartbreaking loss of her husband, falls prey to a very wealthy Wall Street banker who tries to acquire her heart as he has successfully completed all of his other deals-pouncing on the vulnerable and taking control.
This is the captivating story of how Kate struggles with the heady lure of the enormous money, excitement, glamour, greed and power of life in
Published June 8th 2013 by Laudan Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Woman on Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman on Top

Trish Rubin
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply the thinking woman's version of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY. As a mature and vibrant single woman, I saw myself in the main character. A woman trying to balance the pull of a force that presents the deepest challenges to her core, her self-worth, with the lure of what "might be" with a man who can give her--everything...and can he? I wouldn't give it away, but I will say, I could talk to my girlfriends, single and married, for hours about this story of a romance that is provocative ...more
Mina De Caro (Mina's Bookshelf)
Deborah Schwartz started on top with a moving and poignant story of self-empowerment. I was riveted by the quality of her narrative: the main character's emotions are so raw and authentic, her voice and perspective so clear and defined, that I wonder where fiction ends in this novel and the author's intimate familiarity with real characters and events begins. Read my full review on MINA'S BOOKSHELF http://minadecaro.blogspot.com/2013/1...
Lynelle Clark
Initially, when I received the book and saw the title I was intrigued with it. But as I read the book and got lost in the story I could understand why the author named the book 'Woman on Top'. I do not think that she could have chosen a better title that captures the essence of the book so accurately.

A powerful story of one woman, Kate, that struggled with the death of her husband and the loneliness it brought. Since she had the perfect marriage with Jake, she wanted it again, but this was wher
Laurel-Rain
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kate and Jake had the forever kind of love...and a beautiful family, with two children. They were living their dream life until....

The stunning blow of Jake's cancer diagnosis and their struggle with various treatments shook them to the core. And when he died, a piece of Kate went with him.

Afterwards, while trying to make it on her own, taking care of the kids, and starting her own career as a lawyer, there was no room left in Kate's life for dating or finding another man.

But when she does put o
Kathleen Kelly
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Woman on Top is one of those books whose main character (a woman in this case) that you just want to hug and kick at the same time. Kate is a woman who's husband has died of cancer and she has done some dating but not a lot until she meets Len. Len is average looking, rich man who Kate is not initially attracted to but does like what he can offer her. Kate has two children who were little when their father died and Kate has done a remarkable job raising them without a father. Len is able to fill ...more
Kristin
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through giveaway for an honest review.
To me there is only one true way to know if a book was either "good" or something beyond that. "Does the story move me?" It's a question I haven't really needed to ask myself in awhile. I tend to stay away from books that cause a high mixture of "realistic" emotions like this book did for me. This story took me on a rollercoaster ride from start to finish. Where one minute I was crying sobs and the next screaming in frustration. When an
Shoshanah
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure what to expect with this one, but I think that lent itself to be a good thing. Since sometimes when you don't have crazy high expectations it's far easier to be taken by surprise and really enjoy a book.

This book is told in two alternating stories lines. The first is in the late 1980s when Kate's husband develops cancer. The second is 5 years after her husband's death when she starts dating again, and to the perfect guy. He gets along great with her kids, her spoils her with ex
Marsha
This book was a nice summer read, and I finished it poolside today. The love story between the main character, Kate, and her husband, Jake, who died of cancer, captured my heart. That was the sweet side of the book. The storyline, however, flips back and forth very often between the late 1980's and 1990's. The switching becomes a little frustrating at times and hard to follow. I felt that the author could have told more of the story of the protagonist's first husband earlier in the book. I can u ...more
Jason Lewis
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
An interesting story following a woman recovering and moving on with her love life and the highs and lows that follow. Schwartz expands on the main character showcasing the many different things the character can do not only with someone but also accomplish on her own. The only trouble in following is the bounce back and forth between two different time periods; causes the reader to recheck which yearly chapter one is reading at certain points in the book.
Linda
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women over 50 especially!!
Shelves: first-reads
Any woman over 50 will relate to Kate. I found myself sympathetic, happy, wanting to actually slap some sense into her, talking outloud to her character, relating to her aging, and much more. The story flowed from her past to present letting the reader slowly into the real character of Kate. As the story progressed you begin to understand why she made choices that were totally out of sync at times.
The book drew me in from start to finish. Looking forward to more reads by Deborah Schwartz.
Sara Smith
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reads
Irene
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 Stars.....Woman ventures out into the world following the death of her husband. Excellent book although towards the end, it felt alittle disjointed until it wrapped up in the finale. That said, I still loved it... was frustrated at times with Kate, but loved it.
Karen
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Great story…Kate is a young woman that becomes a widow after the death of her husband to cancer. Kate learns to live as a single mom and making a new life for her and the children. Kate is living in two different worlds, trying to find happiness. Awesome book about life, death, and love!
Lisa Wohl
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a poolside or beach read. It was fast reading and not very deep. The best part was probably her recounting the wonderful relationship she had had with her husband who died of cancer. If you are looking for something light, this is the perfect book!
Mimi
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lot of crying..a lot of pain...good friends...good kids...Kate has it all until her husband has cancer! Kate is amazing! Strong willed! Confident lawyer. Finding the right guy is painful and impossible! I really enjoyed this book!
Shina
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
First let me start by saying I won this book as a First Reads. I liked this book. Although I thought the book dragged in certain places, it did keep my interest.
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Easy read. A little boring.
DEREK_LEIGHTON
Oct 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Virtue
  • The Idea of Him
  • through infinity (Forever and a Day #1)
  • Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)
  • Uncorked (Uncorked, #1)
  • French Toast (The French Twist Series #2)
  • Piano from a 4th Storey Window
  • The Forbidden Secrets of the Goody Box: Relationship Advice That Your Father Didn't Tell You and Your Mother Didn't Know
  • How I Exiled My Inner Bitch
  • Dancing in the White Room
  • As Snow Falls
  • My Life In Black And White
  • Against My Will
  • Finding Out
  • No Place Like Home (Includes: La Vie en Roses, #1.5)
  • The Christmas Angel
  • Too Sexy for His  Stetson
  • Comfort of Fences
Author of Woman on Top (June 2013) Writer Healthcare Attorney, Mother. Climbed Kili, can't get enough travel and new things/places to explore
More about Deborah Schwartz