Start by marking “The Wave” as Want to Read:
The Wave

The Wave

To ask other readers questions about The Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wave

Start your review of The Wave
Marc Nash
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was a wild ride! 3 narrative threads, one of which is written in the form of a film script (although not immediately obvious as to why) and their maybe inter-linkedness offers three different realities (dimensions?) rubbing up against each other.

The two authors it brought to mind are Christopher Priest's juxtaposition of differing realities, and maybe bizarrely, Franz Kafka as the twists and turns of a reasonably passive main character Mu (actually represented by the Greek letter but I
Kate Avery
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whatever Ddunsel was, or represented, was both dark and mysterious in its pull. He was the hole at the centre. μ knew next to nothing about him but felt himself spinning faster and faster. His life had grown so empty recently that, whatever the consequences, this encounter was something he craved, an axe to the frozen sea inside.

The Wave is a book that is very hard to describe, as it is unlike any novel I have come across. Its three most prominent characters are μ who discovers a screenplay
Liam
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Would counsel reading only from subchapter Brazil; despite distressing affliction caused by vernacular language to itself. Entwined jaundiced unfulfillment of the absolute.

Example of internal monologue:
''Was there any hope for causality if you could not ever reach the first cause?''(203 -no)

''Why can we never be satisfied with ourselves?''(204)

''Had he always been asleep?''(219)

''Currents of dreams swirled beneath the surface of his thoughts. A river... An immense river, he had been trying to
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, slipstream
I debated adding that 5th star. In fact, I'd like to read more books just like this one.

I love kaleidoscopic narratives. I appreciate postmodern remove. However, the abrupt shifts in narrative coupled with the surreal, dissociative tone made it difficult for me to stay engaged with anything that was happening. For me, it's missing that last ingredient, some binding element to make the story feel whole and immediate. (Or I missed it.) (There's always that possibility.)

(Well, it's all subjective,
Mark Sodergren
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That was the strangest book I’ve read for a while. Thoroughly enjoyed it though (I think), couldn’t put it down.
Caitlin
rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2017
Fatmanmclone90
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2018
Neil Challis
Apr 17, 2018
Amy
When I first got offered this book for review and to be part of the blog tour, this seemed really unique to read.

When I started reading this, I admit that this was the case and it was really weird to read. As someone who normally does read YA fiction, reading this was so left field and different to what I normally read which did catch me off guard as I was confused about the plot and found the main character's action a bit unusual to me. However, I still wanted to prevail and continued with the
Solar
Oct 16, 2017
Charlie So-and-so
Jul 07, 2018

• Wisdom, Madness and Folly: The Making of a Psychiatrist 1927-57
Lochlan Bloom is a British novelist, screenwriter and short story writer.

He is the author of the novel The Wave, published by Dead Ink Books as part of their New Voices series, The Open Cage from Australian publisher InShort and the novella Trade.

The Wave was one of three novels selected for the Publishing The Underground initiative funded by Arts Council England.

He has written for Slant Magazine,