Start by marking “Knitting Vintage Socks” as Want to Read:
Knitting Vintage Socks

Knitting Vintage Socks

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  664 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This collection of vintage sock patterns mines "Weldon's Practical Needlework," a compilation of newsletters published more than 100 years ago, for some of the best. Includes updates of 24 classic patterns for modern knitters.
Spiral-bound, 128 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Interweave (first published September 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Vintage Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Vintage Socks

Becky
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Hey Oh! Who loves knitting socks more than me? No one! This book is rife with info about knitting socks but also the history of knitting socks and even wool in Europe vs. wool here in the state and how and why they differ. Even if you don't know the difference between knitting and purling, the first part of this book has enough history to keep you interested.
Meg
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Basically the ugliest art direction ever, but it's a workhorse of a book. Wish I'd thought to buy the spiral-bound edition.
Miss Mouse
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sock Knitters
Shelves: home-crafty
Wonderful knitted sock patterns! Of all the sock pattern books I own, this one has the least number of socks that are on my Must Knit list, but it's still a great book!
Kimberleena
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great patterns, even some history of knitting (I'm a total geek, I admit it). Some of the heels are funky though, so I don't use the ones the pattern calls for.
Jessi
Mar 07, 2007 rated it liked it
I haven't gotten to socks yet. But someday soon.
Jeannette
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fibrework
Should have done more research before buying and not trusted all the raves about this being a good source of multiple and obscure types of heels. To me that means more than one method of construction; what this book actually has is mainly minor variations on the tired old flap-and-gusset (my least favourite heel style as I consider it weak engineering to have picked-up stitches pulling at right angles in a garment stress point) plus a couple of other heel types that are fairly well known. Furthe ...more
Horus
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
For those knitters interested in patterns from the Victorian era, Nancy Bush has gone through all the knitting issues of Weldon's Practical Needlework, updating a select few to modern yarns & terminology. She also includes a good history of the periodical and places the publication in context of British history. Another knitting publication from Interweave Press, it is pretty obvious that they know their audience. The hard cover, coil bound book is a good size to travel with and will lie fla ...more
Lily
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
An excellent book on knitting socks. The beginning chapter provides a basic template for socks. It then proceeds to cover the different kinds of toes and heels showing pictures of each and explaining how to knit each one. The patterns are excellent and clear and it is easy to substitute the different toe types or heel types according to your preferences.

If I could have only one book in my library on knitting socks, this would be the one I would want.
Tonileg
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Another historical knitting book with patterns added, the format is a spiral bound bard cover which makes for easy pattern reading because the book lays flat when you're knitting up your socks.
I still need to review this book as I knit up some holiday gift socks so this is a review that will be modified as I use the book.

3 stars for now.
Samantha
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters
Recommended to Samantha by: amazon.com
Shelves: knitting
This arrived on the friday and I was knitting by the saturday. I love the idea of using vintage patterns and this book is delightfully illustrate and the patterns are great. There's a little history as well without deviating from the original plan of the book - knitting! And I love the spiral bound format as it prevents the book from closing on you as you're trying to follow the pattern...
Debbie
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lori
Shelves: knitting
Adaptations of patterns found in Weldon's Practical Needlework from the late 1887 to 1914. A short section on the history of Weldon's with quotes from the original. Directions for 4 different heels and 6 toe shapings and 20 sock patternss, including heelless sleep socks.

Much more than I'm up for but glad I borrowed it.
Gina
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
The patterns were less interesting than the historical documentation showing knitted socks dating back to the reign of Henry VIII. Specific sock designs and patterns were used to designate family names and relationships..esp. for fisherman who went to work,often died at sea, and could only be identified by their socks.
Erin
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Every pattern in this book is fantastic, and the discussion of 19th-century knitting and review of different types of heels and toes are lovely references, too. My only complaint about this book is that the photography is not very good--but displaying any handknits unworn when they are intended as articles of clothing is a pet peeve of mine.
RH Walters
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this book! I relish the historical theme and Bush writes or rewrites the patterns in an understandable way. I'm still making the railway stitch socks but haven't made anything else and the library won't let me renew it anymore. I will seek it out again in the future.
Diane
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a beginner's book (no size variations for one thing), and a few more charts would be nice, but really fascinating. I have two pairs of socks from this book on needles right now, one for my husband and one for my son, and I think they'll actually wear them!
Jane
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
There are a few lovely stitch patterns in here that I'd like to use someday (Gentleman's Shooting Stocking, Gentleman's Sock, Child's First Sock), but I dislike how each pattern is one size. As a sock noob, I'm looking for someone else to do the stitch count work for me!
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of sock knitting
Weldon's Practical Needlework was a monthly publication from 1886 to the end of the 1920's. Nancy Bush took many of the old patterns and translated them into projects understandable and executable by modern knitters.

I liked the photographs, charts, instructions, and drawings.
Linda
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber-arts
Excellent guide for knitting sox. Very clear instructions and photos.
Fangirl
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it
A collection of very interesting sock patterns based on vintage socks.
Kaarin
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sock knitters
I'm learning four new different types of heel and toe construction. Fascinating to see how socks were made not that long ago.
Lauren
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Beautiful designs, recreated from historical pieces and photos. Nancy Bush is a wonder. I've knit several pairs from this book and never had an issue. A very important book in my knitting library.
Christine
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome knitting book.
Karin
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
If I could only bring one sock book with me. This would be it. That's all.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I've never knit socks from this book, but I like looking at it. Unfortunately, I do not foresee myself making any of these. It's still a nice book.
Leisa
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great sock book, by a master. Very informative and wonderful patterns.
devon anderson
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Beautiful patterns, easy to follow, love love love.
Julia
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really beautiful, slightly difficult patterns.
Jody
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Favourite Book Ever used many many many times
Patricia
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have used several patterns already.
Alexandra Daw
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
So many socks...so little time...
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sock Innovation
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Scarf Style
  • Folk Shawls: 25 knitting patterns and tales from around the world (Folk Knitting series)
  • Knitting Around
  • Knitting Ganseys
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Fishermen's Sweaters: Twenty Exclusive Knitwear Designs for All Generations