Start by marking “In the Right Light” as Want to Read:
In the Right Light

In the Right Light

Dear Author,
These two have struggled so hard to get to where they are in this place and time. Their differences were always a focus to those that wanted them apart. Family for one, Friends the other. But little do they know those vast differences are what make them perfect for each other. Complete. They are sure to lose one or the other along the way but they’ll always hav
Published June 26th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about In the Right Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Right Light

Exina
James Carver and Danny Holt are working alongside with each other in the same house project. Jamie is a garden designer working in a family business with his gruff, high-minded, always dissatisfied father and his always cheerful brother. Danny is in charge of lightning, and his meddlesome mother is the architect, who seems to know everything better.

When James and Danny meet, sparks fly and fireworks ensue. The chemistry between them is electrifying.

It is typically the kind of story you want mor
Vivian
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sweet and yummy treat.

Got my horticultural geek on with this one. Ripping up those lilac bushes was killing me, but Danny and Jamie made it alright. Cute short with some smexy fun. I, like Danny, appreciate a man who can toss me up against a wall.

Favorite passage:
“That the depths you see turn out to be shallows?”

“Not going to happen. But,” with that smile that turned James inside out, Danny leaned in close again and whispered, “you’d be surprised just how shallow I can be, given the right ince
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

This was an adorable picture prompt for the LHNB event.

Danny is a nice, open sweet young man and when he sees James, the slightly jaded, grumpy, unhappy in his place in life guy, he is instantly attracted.
James sort of blows him off (and not in a good way) but despite trying he can't quite forget Danny.
This is a sweet short, it has two cute dogs, and a good start into a new beginning for them.
Deeze
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Everything was there in this story and I should of loved it. But sadly everything was also too rushed.

I would of loved a closer look at James and his father, why he's father was so tough on him. A slower build up to James and Danny would of worked better for me too.

Overall this is a little above a 2.5 but not by much.
UltraMeital
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Truthfully I just didn't connect with this one. It was too short to be realistic romantic wise, at least for me. it felt too fast and the "relationship buildup" felt more like an infatuation.

Danny Holt and James Carver find themselves working at the same project from different ends. James a landscaper, and Danny working artistic lights in a big estate. Though it's what Danny usually does with his artistic talent, James works with his older brother and father who mostly put him off and so their
Maria
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, I loved this!

Danny was adorable, an open and sweet and wonderful grasshopper. He was so full of light and energy. Jamie the almost complete opposite. Clearly unhappy with his life, trapped under the foot of his old man, jaded and underneath it all so very angry and scared because he couldn't get it right. Couldn't go back, couldn't go forward, he was just miserable every day. Until Danny and all his light and heart came into his life and threw him for a loop or three.

These two toget
Eli Easton
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable hot/sweet romance between a landscaper and a lighting artist. Would love a sequel!
Sarah_loves_books
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Kate
Shelves: m-m
This was a very nice story that left me wanting for more. The length was just good enough to get enough of a feel for both characters, a sketch of their histories and perchance a dream, and of course their amazing chemistry. The dynamics in their families were realistic and added a lot of depth to their world. I wouldn't mind reading more about these two, and how they navigate the treacherous shoals of building a lasting and meaningful relationship (and a business?) together.
Pjm12
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this excellent response to the prompt given. There was an unusual arty type job (Light Art), nice family details (old fashioned dad versus college boy with different ideas), and an immediate attraction between the two MCs that leads to sexy times.

James has big dreams and Danny has a big personality. Their differences are highlighted, and yet at the end of the day their feelings are all that matter.

Really enjoyed this one.
melek
Danny and James meet and yes its love at first site it happens. Danny is so sweet full of dreams. And i believe James will make Danny dreams come true. Familys do come between them but no for long. I was so ready for more but then it ended but hopeful but still i wonder what will happen with their life.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!
Vanessa North
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was completely adorable. <3 ADORABLE.
I want more.
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Very sweet little read
Trio
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-pgs-or, mm, pub-gr
Well done - these two had great chemistry and the story was unique and fun to read. I'll definitely look for this author again.
April
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely some hot-hot-hot chemistry between these two! It didn't feel like insta-love, just irresistible sexual attraction, backed up by other kinds of attraction, which was a lot of fun to read.

James feels stuck in the family business run by his autocratic father who constantly dismisses his input.

Danny, son of a client and a 'Light Artist,' is optimistic and leads with his heart. When he sees the muscled, tan, shirtless gardener swinging an axe on his mother's property, he is in all kinds
K
Shelves: dritc
LHNB Story released 26.6.13
Just over 4 stars
Beautifully written story of a landscape gardener working in the family firm and his instant attraction to the son of the woman whose house they are working on. Although there was head hopping between the two MC's it was always clearly marked where there would be a change in narrator and in general the two characters could be differentiated but there were a couple of times I needed to work back and see who was speaking.
Jeanne 'Divinae'
A wonderful delight. Even though it was a fast pace romance, I really enjoyed the chemistry between James and Danny. And of course the dogs were cute. I was hoping to see more about 'the after'. I wanted to see James buy the house, and what he did with the property. Perhaps, Danny and the dogs moved in too.... :-)
Neko
4.5
Oohh~~ I really wish it was longer....
but I loved it! <3

Ahh~~ It was everything I could have hoped for and more~ <3
thank you so much G.B. Gordon for making my picture come to life so beautifully~ <3
Thank you for your time and story!
;3 fufu~
Annika
Oh, this was great. I thought it did not really fit the prompt, but never mind, I loved the story. And I was soo looking forward to Danny and James opening their own business in that house, something light "gardenlight art". And then it just ended???? So many questions in the end... Please, I want to know how their story goes on!!!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
A sweet story where the roles were not what they seemed at first. I wanted more, like (view spoiler). I was also a little confused at the beginning as to where Danny fit as in who he was and where he lived. I'm not sure this followed the prompt very well, but loved the chararacters and I couldn't put it down.
Chris Cox
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Strong characterization took this story to an above average level. The MCs are distinct and fully dimensional so that we can emphasize with each of them. The secondary characters are perfect for adding conflict and showing us a rounded view of the MCs without distracting from the story line.
Frank Claudy
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice little story. I would have given it 5 points, but the end was lacking. The characters and their problems were developping really well, and then suddenly the story was over without any of the problems being solved. It might be a good idea to turn this story into a full book.
Victoria
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 - Sweet and funny. I would love to read more about these two. Nice interpretation of the photo and the story letter. Thank you G.B. Gordon for donating your story, your time and your talent.
Melanie~~
Sweet story. Who could resist those puppies? I liked that both men were artists in their fields--not commonly associated with artistry.

[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation.]
Heather
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, lhnb
3.5 read for me.

I enjoyed this one. I wish we would of gotten more of a glimpse into the future for these two!
Shahreen
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Karlijn
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, novella
Nice short story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
G.B.Gordon worked as a packer, landscaper, waiter, and coach before going back to school to major in linguistics and, at 35, switch to less backbreaking monetary pursuits like translating, editing, and writing. Having lived in various parts of the world, Gordon is now happily ensconced in suburban Ontario with the best of all husbands.