Start by marking “Faceless” as Want to Read:
Faceless

Faceless

(Whitley & Keal #2)

A pretty teenage girl is found dead in the woods, her face horribly mutilated. A few days later, a second girl, also strikingly beautiful, is attacked in a similar fashion.
Who would do such a brutal thing—and why?
Is there some sort of psychopathic monster lurking out there, preying upon vulnerable females? Or were the victims targeted for some reason by someone they knew?
Kindle Edition, 1, 265 pages
Published June 23rd 2013 by Brighton

To ask other readers questions about Faceless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faceless

Start your review of Faceless
jv poore
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a fan of the mysterious, the creepy, and psychological, twisted thrillers; I have questioned my sanity; but the quest is always short-lived, as I really and truly just want to start reading. When I delightedly ripped open the package containing my (very special, personalized, signed copy) of Faceless and began reading as I stumbled away from the still open mail-box, I was struck by a second, even quirkier query.

I had been stalking my post-man for days, not just because Ms. Whidden spins an
Sue
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Faceless" by Dawn Kopman Whidden, is her second book in the mystery series, and by my opinion...the Best! I must say I was blown away with another gripping murder story. I was happy to see the return of characters from her first novel, "A Child is Torn: Innocence Lost". Once again we find homicide detective Jean Whitley and her partner Marty Keal together again on the trail of a serial killer who is attracted to pretty young teens. This killer is full of anger and burned the victim's beautiful
Justine Sharp
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series (although could be read standalone) and yet again Dawn has managed to really tell an intriguing murder mystery but at the same time there are stories around each of the main characters. it's a really good book and I can't wait to listen to Book 3 ...more
Chloe
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4 1/2 stars. It is a great stand alone novel and a gripping murder mystery.
Detective Jean Whitley and her partner Marty Keal are on a trail of serial killer who kills and mutilates the faces of teenage girls by burning them. It really hits home for Jean when she realizes the girls are her daughter's classmates and either her daughter or her friends might be involved in these grisly murders.
The characters in this book were very well developed and the tenuous relationship that Jean
Sophie Bristow Harris
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would first like to Thank the author, Dawn Kopman Widden, for giving me this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

"Faceless" is written two years after the debut Thriller from this great author ~ A Child is Torn "Innocence Lost" I really recommend you read them in order as the characters are in both novels as the stories flow.

This book is an excellent follow on, I loved watching the characters continue in their relationships and developing even more.

I found this a very emotional read,
R.P. Rochford
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book! That says a lot. I read a lot - including a lot I don't end up enjoying. Certainly not to the extent that I will stay up late to finish the book - which I did with this one.

As a detective story this feels rather light on police procedure and factual information. (Unless US police are, in reality, significantly more casual and careless than their UK counterparts?)

As a good story which draws you into the lives of the characters - this book excels. I suppose really this is a
Rossy
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by author Dawn Kopman Whidden. I was happy to "meet" once again with Detective Jean Whitley and her now partner Marty Keal, beloved characters from "A Child is Torn: Innocence Lost", as they investigate and follow leads to some brutal crimes: Two teenagers are found dead with their faces burned. Who did this?
As we read about the development of the case, we also learn the victims were Bethany, Jean's daughter, classmates. Is she involved in any of this? Does she know something?
AudioBookReviewer
My original Faceless audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

“Faceless” by Dawn Kopman Whidden is the second book in the Whitley & Keal series. I definitely recommend that you read or listen to the first book (“A Child is Torn”) before moving onto “Faceless.” We meet back up with all the characters of book 1 and delve deeper into their lives while a killer is on the loose. The killer seems to be attacking gorgeous girls that are only a few years older than Jean
Donna
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All crime fans
Faceless is the second book by the fantastic crime author Dawn Kopman Whidden who just knows how to draw you into the story & makes you live every minute by telling the story through the eyes of the main characters. You experience their ups & downs on the case as well as their home lives & see how such a crime can also affect the families of the officers involved when it happens in a small town.

I just love how the author drops a very subtle hint to whom the killer is and if you are
Terry  (TBC)
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review
This audio kept me on edge the whole way through! The darkness and threats to the girls was rough and a real nail biter. The culprit well there’s another What moment! Really woven in well.
From the 1st book to this I still love the characters. They’re real and you feel for them all. Or dislike them as I did some of the not so nice ones. You’ll know when you listen to who I’m on about.
The extended bits from the families of the main characters was great. They’re padding out and I
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The 2nd Whitley and Keal book did not disappoint. This time they were on the hunt for the killer of a young girl. I really enjoyed this book and love the main characters and learning more about their lives. I’m Drivinb straight in to book three as we speak.
Karen B.
I bought this book after I finished the first book "A Child is Torn". This is the second in the series but is an excellent stand alone novel. Dawn Whidden really knows how to tell a story. I was intrigued from the very beginning when a beautiful young girl is found dead in the woods, her face burned off. Another beautiful young girl from the same school is found later, also with her face burned off. I was anxious to find out not only who did these killings, but was this a serial killer and would ...more
Terri
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
"Faceless" is much more than your typical mystery thriller; the victims are the young & beautiful, they're from the "right" side of the tracks, they're the elite. But they're also snobs & bullies, they're the "mean girls". Dawn Kopman Whidden introduces us to a great cast of characters, dead & alive, while drawing us into a really good "who dunnit" that leaves you guessing until the very end. "Faceless'" primary character is Jean, a dedicated cop & an even more dedicated wife ...more
Pat
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah OK it was a mystery, but a pretty cumbersome one. Two pretty but bitchy teenage girls are murdered and have their faces burned off. Sounds promising - yeah? But no.

That's pretty much all there is folks. Nothing further to add to the plot. The police investigation into these horrific crimes was a bit lacklustre. The lead detective, Jean Whitely, acted quite unprofessionally and it all just seemed a bit so-so. Even when Jean's daughter was missing I couldn't get excited. I kept reading to
Kassandra Lamb
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like Dawn Whidden’s main character, Detective Jean Whitley. This story progresses at a good pace, moving back and forth between the homefront drama of dealing with a teenage daughter turned surly and the race to find a killer who literally defaces his victims. The tenuous balance Jean has previously maintained between home and work is unraveling and distracting her from the investigation. This is so realistically portrayed that I felt I was inside her living room as she tried to talk to ...more
Neja
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
This is the first book I read written by this author and I must say that I really love the style of writing she chose. Every page is interesting, words flow easily, it's not predictable, I didn't found any of the characters unnecessary. I always hate it in crime stories (I read and watch a lot of these) if I figure it out too soon. If I know to early who did it. Who is the killer. Here, I didn't and I really appreciated that. Plus I like how detailed is the style of writing, the words the author ...more
Janeandjerry
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Second book even better than the first

This is the second book in this series and a dang good one at that...This was sent to me from the great author herself in exchange for an honest review and since I read the first book and participated in the group discussions she was kind enough to send this book and the next book I was drawn in the giveaway she had. Thank you for everything and I hope that others will read all three as well...
Kady Monroe
This is a good mystery about a killer targeting teenage girls from the same school. There are quite a few suspects for the police to investigate.
The story is told from the points of view of the two detectives on the case. The pace is good and the narrator did very well with the characters.
Overall, a good listen.
Kayla Krantz
Every parent wants what’s best for their child. Faceless takes that idea to the next level.

After a string of high school girls are found with their faces burnt, Detective Whitley fears for her daughter. Even more so because the girls in question were friends with her. Fearful between her daughter’s safety and the nagging suspicion that she was involved, Detective Whitley walks the line between doing her job and protecting her child.

This book is full of suspense and really leaves you to question
Bethany Gordon
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Whitley and Keal series, which built on the characters in the first so you get to know them better. Who killed two young girls causing them horrific injuries, that is the question the detectives face this time, whilst at the same time having personal issues to deal with. The book moves at a fast pace bringing the pieces of the puzzle together. I look foward to listening to book three.
Delphine
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not able to identify

This was a excellent story, it kept you not able to put down. Every time I thought I had guessed the killer, I was wrong. If you like excitement nail biting, gruesome murder s, then this is the book for you . I loved this book
Amy
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bullying

Bullying happens every day in every school and sometimes you just don't know how it affects certain people. I was on the edge of my seat all the way to the last page. I absolutely love the characters in this book and can't wait to read the next one.
Patty
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series. I didn't figure out who the killer was. Teenage girls are being killed and disfigured. Marty & Jean have a tough time figuring out who they are after.
Trish at Between My Lines
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews-done
Faceless is a really well written crime novel brimming over with characters that I adore spending time with. This is one of those times where the motto 'don't judge a book by its cover' comes in to play because I hate the cover but loved the content!

My Recap of Faceless :

A teenage girl is found murdered in the woods with her face burnt off. Her friends who find her all act suspiciously and it looks like the police officers have a gruesome and tricky case on their hands. And worse is to come when
sue
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-mail
I was gifted this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

After reading her first book and being totally blown away by it, I was looking forward to reading this one.
Dawn has a lovely style of writing and I enjoy every single word.

FACELESS is in no doubt a cleverly woven thriller. I was certain I knew ` who was responsible` and highly disappointed that the author had the upper hand AGAIN! She got me on her first book, she's done it again in this one.

Juggling a job as well as a family
Carol
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Who would murder a beautiful teenaged girl and mutilate her body in such a horrible manner? Why were she and her friends in such a n isolated spot in the middle of the night? How did they get out there when none could drive? The apparent 'leader' of the group seems less than concerned with the situation, the others, while visibly shaken to downright hysterical, don't seem to want to breath without her approval. It takes our police detectives about five seconds to have no doubt the truth was not ...more
Cheryl (Collier)
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow - a solid 4 1/2 stars! This story about the horrible murders of teenage girls and the subsequent efforts to find the killer grabbed and held my interest from the first page. Add the topic of bullying; the return of some of my favorite characters from the author's previous book (A Child Is Torn: Innocence Lost); and the development of some extremely unlikeable new characters and you have a recipe for a delicious weekend read. I was very surprised by the identity of the killer and it is very ...more
Elyse
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
An ARC was given to me by the author in exchange for a honest review.

Instant action in this mystery novel. I wasn't a huge fan of the first person Jean, third person Marty switching on and off throughout the whole book. It was kind of annoying. But the story was really good and kept my attention. Whidden kept you guessing and leading you astray! Sneaky! And then boom, you had no idea it was coming. I haven't read the first book in this "series." They are more companion novels than a strict
Donna
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this second book in the series! It just got better for me. I loved seeing the interaction between the veteran police detective and the rookie. I loved how this killing spree touched Detective Whitley's family and how she handled being a mother and a detective. We also see Marty and Hope again. And how their relationship has blossomed and grown. And we have the Faceless Killer. Called this because the victim always has their faces burned off. At first I thought I had this ...more
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I was given a copy of this book for review from the author.

I had already read A Child is Torn “Innocence Lost” by her last year. When I picked this up, I knew I was in for a treat with the style of writing.

You get to know more about the Detectives and their family in this book. You get taken on a whirlwind ride through all the highs and lows of life in the suburbs.

I loved the characters, the plot and most of all I LOVED way the detectives catch the killer.
« previous 1 3 next »
Romance Audiobooks: Faceless by Dawn Kopman Whidden 16 69 Jun 29, 2019 07:22AM
Audiobooks: FREE DOWNLOAD 11 66 Jan 11, 2018 08:29AM
Audiobooks: NEW RELEASE - Faceless by Dawn Kopman Whidden 1 7 Dec 17, 2017 01:22PM
Audible listeners: LOOKING FOR 1 5 Oct 07, 2017 09:40AM
Murder, mystery and mean girls? 1 1 Apr 10, 2017 10:36AM
Making Connections: 1420. FACELESS: A Mystery by Dawn Kopman Whidden 11 115 Jun 22, 2016 03:11PM

• Room 119: The Whitby Trader
  • Resthaven
  • Burn The Evidence (Detective Solomon Gray #2)
  • Riven
  • The End of Lies
  • Funicular
  • The Legacy (Legacy Series, #1)
  • Emergency Case
  • Surgeon’s Choice
  • Willow (The Pepper Lane Club #1)
  • Witch You Well (Westwick Witches #1)
  • Killer Cruise (A Rachel Prince Mystery Book 3)
  • Awkward in Print
  • A Life Made of Lava
  • Fatal Odds (Knight and Devlin, #5)
  • The Tiger Temple (Hiram Kane Adventure #1)
  • Cold Sweats and Vignettes
  • Oddjobs (Oddjobs #1)

Whitley & Keal (4 books)
  • A Child Is Torn: Innocence Lost
  • Stolen (Whitley & Keal, #3)
  • Keeping Hope Alive (Whitley & Keal, #4)
“The air was thick with her attitude, and I was getting ready to perform a very intense surgery on it.” 1 likes