Start by marking “The Loch” as Want to Read:
The Loch

The Loch

SWIFT TIDES OF DREAD
Janet Ogilvy began to fear the strange rumors circulated about the caves that mysteriously appeared after a tidal wave it the town of Lochy, and relics of other ages were uncovered. They were only rumors, but her heart told her that Alan, the attractive man she secretly loved, might be in danger. Then one day a daring young man scaled the cliffs,
Mass Market Paperback, T5840, 182 pages
Published 1974 by Signet (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Loch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loch

Start your review of The Loch
Dorcas
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dorcas by: Hannah
It all starts when an earthquake in Portugal shifts a fault line on a loch floor in Scotland. This, in turn, triggers a tidal wave which reshapes the scenery and sets off a chain of events that bring horror to a small Scottish village where "nothing ever happens"....

The loch starts receding...caves appear where water once covered them. Finally, the water completely drained, the inevitable happens. People want to explore the caves. But not all is as it appears..or as safe. And then there's the
Tweety
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: if you like Gothics and thrillers you'd probably like this
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
4, 5 I don't know!

When I finished I wanted to Scream long and hard. I have never felt like this before. I will review this when I am more collected and calm, not Wild and half demented.

Having now calmed down I can review this rationaly… I think.

Janet, the heroine, has all her ducks in a row until an earthquake in some foreign land send the town Loch quivering and swelling. After that everything goes down hill.

Alan makes for a reliable, easy going hero, if a tad boring. Then John shows up to
Diane Lynn
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Closer to 4.5 stars

Who knew an earthquake in Portugal could wreak such havoc in a loch up in Scotland. The book begins with a description of how the land and the lochs were formed ages ago. Then we meet the people in the town of Lochy. Next, the earthquake causes a tidal wave/tsunami that inundates Lochy. The water recedes and everything gets back to normal, right? No, something strange is going on with the Loch. At this point I really don't want to say anymore about the plot.

Janet Caird sets
Hannah
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads, gothics
Started out good and unsettling. Halfway thru it became stupidly weird.

Big let down.
Peggy
This gothic suspense opens with a bizarre tidal wave hitting the town of Lochy. It sits on a great, deep, black loch somewhere in Scotland. A peaceful sleepy town. After they recover from the flood, people start noticing the loch seems to be losing its water! Getting lower and lower each day until it is empty. A strange eeriness descends on the town and no one wants to talk about the loch. Now an empty, dry sea bed, a cave has been revealed up on the cliffs. What mysteries does it hold? When ...more
Jason Fetters
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story about the sleepy little town of Lochy, near the water. The quaint town is forced to come together when a tidal wide hits hard leaving death and destruction for the survivors. However something is much worse than the powerful force of disaster. Something is hiding in the caves. Something primitive yet dangerous. Will the townspeople figure it out in time?
An engaging read that actually causes you to feel claustrophobic when reading. Caird is a master of building suspense as her
Debra
Mar 03, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King recommended book. Noted as "important to the genre we have been discussing" from Danse Macabre, published in 1981.
Sandy
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son asked me to read this book (which I was reading) aloud to him when he was very, very young. He has remembered it for over 30 years and has become very, very interested in books about alternate societies.
Boris Cesnik
A book of two sides. An intriguing first half - mysterious and captivating. Flavoursome narrative and characters. Once the tragedy strikes it all falls down to lower than avarage and tired suspense semi-supernatural thriller. A missed opportunity here.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Janet Caird didn't write many books that I'm aware of, although maybe more were published in Britain than here in the U.S. I liked them because they're all mysteries that take place in Scotland.
Kathleen
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is about this 60's book, but I loved it just as much on the re-read!
Abigail H. Leskey
Jordan
Jun 17, 2014
Redan
Jun 18, 2014
Janet Hinshaw Caird, nee Kirkwood at Livingstonia, Malawi, married to James Bowman Caird, educationist and author (1919-1989).

Education: MA, English Literature, University of Edinburg, 1935; University of Grenoble and Sorbonne, University of Paris, 1935-36; St George's College, Edinburg, 1935-36.

Membership: Poetry Society, London; Scottish Poetry Library; Asscn of Scottish Literary Studies;