Start by marking “A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)

A Wind in the Door

(Time Quintet #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  105,745 ratings  ·  3,268 reviews
Every time a star goes out, another Echthros has won a battle.

Just before Meg Murry's little brother, Charles Wallace, falls deathly ill, he sees dragons in the vegetable garden. The dragons turn out to be Proginoskes, a cherubim composed out wings and eyes, wind and flame. It is up to Meg and Proginoskes, along with Meg's friend Calvin, to save Charles Wallace's life. To
Mass Market Paperback, 203 pages
Published March 1976 by Dell Laurel-Leaf (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Wind in the Door, please sign up.
C. Unless a novel says it portrays another period, release year is present day. "A Wrinkle In Time" came out in 1962, 3 years after the moon landing.…moreUnless a novel says it portrays another period, release year is present day. "A Wrinkle In Time" came out in 1962, 3 years after the moon landing. This sequel was published 11 years hence and Madeleine rejoins the Murrys in a year, thus we would picture 1963. First release year would be an easy answer for the setting, if not for asking Mrs. Murry if she remembered details about the moon landing. The children themselves, especially this family, would well remember a current planetary event!

It's a shame we can't ask Madeleine but perhaps she left an interview with someone who did. It seems she wanted to move the present day to her series' reprisal, 1973. That makes Meg a baby during the moon landing and her Mom a married woman of at least 20. Louise (the doctor) posed the question of memory oddly for a 14 year-old event but picturing the Murrys in 1973 works.

I don't remember if "A Wrinkle In Time" introduces their town's location. Mr. Murry drove from the Washington, D.C. environs briskly enough for everyone to merely wonder why Meg and Calvin were home late from school. Charles Wallace was driven home with Louise (the larger) at the beginning of school, say 9:30AM, for having brought a snake to pets day. Let's say he fell ill at about noon and his Dad was phoned by 2:00PM. Meg delaying after school might amount to 7:00PM. They must be on the northern US east coast. Charles Wallace does own a S'ouwester raincoat, which seems to be Atlantic Canadian and US apparel. I am not a mathematician but LOVE reading comprehension puzzles like this!(less)

·  105,745 ratings  ·  3,268 reviews

Lennox
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Madeleine L'Engle is probably one of the reasons why I think magic and faith and science are ultimately compatible.
Sid
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
My second read in the time quintet!
And oh boy, how much and why I still enjoy reading children books is just out of my grasp!

Charles Wallace, our brilliant and intuitive 6 year old gets ill. He talks about things, that his elder sister Meg, finds impossible to exist. Do they really exist? Does their existence really matter?

All of a sudden, it turns out that Charles Wallace's life is important for the survival of our universe. And somehow, Meg alone with the help of certain creatures, has to sort
Morgan
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Morgan by: Jenn Allen
Now this is what I'm talking about! If 'A Wrinkle in Time' is hot cocoa, then this book was Ghiredelli's Peppermint Hot Cocoa with marshmallows and $100. Seriously.

Trusting the advice of those I loved, I decided to perserver and finish 'The Time Quartet'. So it was onto AWITD and it rooked. Wow, that was me spelling rocked. I thought it was entertaining so I left it for your enjoyment. Anyway, I digress...

This book was great. It joins the same crew; Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin, and throws i
Trish
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book about Meg, Charles Wallace, their family and Calvin, their friend. There is no other obvious connection to the first installment other than that time can be bent and the children go on a sort of adventure through the universe.
The universe, this time, is the great idea of everything lying within as without. For example, the galaxy is huge to us, making us tiny, and yet we are a part of it. So, too, are the smallest parts of us (like, for example, mitochondria) still a part
Andy
Is it weird that I really loved A Wrinkle in Time and I fiercely disliked its sequel? I don't remember it being this bad when I read it as a kid, but bad it is. There are hints of the delightful whimsy of the first book, particularly in the Mr. Jenkins face-off and the "classroom" meeting with Sporos. But there are many more scenes of purported seriousness which aren't handled well at all. The climactic scenes, which I think were supposed to be moving and exciting, were unbearably ham-fisted and ...more
stephanie
there are some things, i think, that you read that will always stick with you. for me, one of those things is the scene in this book with progo, and the discussion he has with meg about the importance of naming. how once you are named, you are - no matter what.

i read this later, again, in college, and i read it as a history student, and through that lens, it says fascinating things about the relationship of history and memory, and what history is, and how we leave legacies. like many of l'engle
Ali M.
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is too often asked to be another Wrinkle in Time, when in fact its sparse cast of characters and relatively uneventful narrative seem like L'Engle's deliberate effort to make it the opposite.

Wrinkle is all about recognizing the universal "song" of the cosmos, and stepping into it. A Wind the Door, however, is about recognizing the cosmos already inside the entity of the human being, and how our choices and sense of identity have an immeasurable effect on the song itself.

L
BAM The Bibliomaniac
"Why do people always mistrust people who are different?"

I think I may have enjoyed this more than Wrinkle. More science-based
And of course, a dragon can never go wrong with a dragon tale
Also it didn't have that strange, abrupt dad ending like Wrinkle.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF 105 pages in

I remember reading this as a child and not liking it but couldn't remember why. I understand now, this book is boring AF.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
A wind in the door starts out much darker than the first book in the installment - A wrinkle in time. While this one centers on the idea of good prevailing same as the first book did, I suppose it takes into account that the reader has grown a little since the release of the first book, and therefore comes across much darker than A wrinkle in time did (it's something we have observed with the story of Harry Potter as well).

The thing I love best about the books of this series is how they treat ch
Andrea Fontana
Aug 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Yawn. This book gave me anxiety attacks by imprisioning me in the same scene for 30+ chapters. Goes absolutely nowhere. I can't believe it's even related to A Wrinkle in Time. No wonder I'd never read it in school.
Christina
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Talk about strange... This book has a strange resemblance to an episode of the Magic School Bus where they travel inside one of the students... Only that was more believable. I think where L'Engle loses me is that she feels like she needs to explain everything - why not just leave it at - Charles is sick and we are going inside of him to fix what's wrong - see, I just said the same thing she did only she took half the book to say it. Sometimes its better just to leave it to our imagination. If y ...more
kristy duncan
Mar 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I disliked this book so much it almost made me unlike a wrinkle in time.

1-no segue
the first wasnt mentioned at all, not that they had already had an adventure, how she met calvin nothing!!

2-monotonous
the author really wanted her point to get across and though this book is for children I dont think it was necessary to restate the same concepts 8 and 10 times at least!!

3-plot
simply weak. where the first book was imaginative and interesting the first one limited and contrived. it seemed like sh
Andrew Leon
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I never read this one when I was a kid, so I was coming at it completely fresh. And, at first, I thought it was making a difference in my reception of the book, because, at first, I was really enjoying it. The first third of the book was really good. I was impressed and everything.

Yes, there will be spoilers.

This one is two years after Wrinkle; Charles Wallace is in school and is having difficulties fitting in. He also thinks he's found a dragon in his brothers' garden. The first part of the boo
R.F. Gammon
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book terrified the crap out me when I was a child and gave me nightmares. I still shudder thinking about it. Maybe, like Tale of Desperaux, I'd find it less scary if I tried again now...but this was one of those traumatizing childhood reads for me and I have 0 desire to ever read it again. :P
Spider the Doof Warrior
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-love-this-book
I like this second best in this series, but the problem is why does Charles Wallace have to adapt to his school rather than the asshole who picked on him having to STOP PICKING ON A TINY 6 YEAR OLD BOY BECAUSE HE'S SMART? What is wrong with society that being smart is bad, but bullying is considered normal and something you just have to deal with.

Bull! It shouldn't just be something to deal with. We should let people know that bullying is terrible and they need to stop doing it.

Other than that,
Moonlight Reader
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-women
L'Engle project - February book.

Meg & Calvin confront the opposite of something, which is nothing, with the help of Charles Wallace's imagined dragon, which is actually a cherubim, and the elementary school principal. Like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole, space and time, large and small, have little meaning when cosmic evil can act at a cellular level.

This book is weird as hell, extraordinarily original, and deeply touching.

Read on, bright and dangerous object.
C.B. Cook
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-bit-odd, classics, own
Well... if there's one thing I can say about Madeline L'Engle's books is that they're... not normal. Definitely and completely weird. But still really cool.

At some points, I thought it was way too weird... but I couldn't put it down!!! PROGO!!!!!!!!! *cries* Whyyyy!!!! And also, Louise the Larger is so cool. Go snakes! (Can't believe I just said that.)

AND I CANNOT FIND MY COPY OF THE FIRST BOOK. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M LOSING MY MIND.

(A couple of hours later: Found it. Duh, I put it in my se
Mel
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, read-in-2016
I finished this book with 30 seconds to spare before the end of tbr takedown.

3.5 stars.

I really liked this one more than book 1. I think this one was just more exciting and I cared about the characters a bit more.
My only issue honestly is that this can't be a children's book. I BARELY understood what I read, so how can a child understand?

Still unsure about continuing on the series. But it was better.
Arielle Walker
Re-reading A Wrinkle in Time felt like opening a gift on to find the exact thing you always wanted - but in the wrong colour. Almost perfect but then weirdly, slightly, unsettlingly off. The audiobook was better, as the narrator was fantastic, but there was no shaking the realisation that the story had become rather... preachy.

Still, it had wonderful, lovable, quirky characters, gorgeously surreal settings, and a pure grey chill at its core that made the stakes feel constantly high.

Hoping for mo
Neil R. Coulter
I've loved this series since I was a kid, but this is my first time reading them aloud to my own kids as bedtime stories. It's very interesting revisiting them now, both through my eyes and theirs. One of the things that I most enjoy about L'Engle's fantasy novels is that they come from a time when a movie adaptation was not inevitable. So many of the YA novels I've read from recent years seem to exist solely to be turned into a blockbuster movie series--almost as if the book is begrudgingly bei ...more
Teresa
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see that my childhood copy of A Wrinkle in Time is from 1968. This companion novel, the second of the so-called Kairos series, was published in 1973. By that time I had read the first novel who knows how many times; and I didn’t know of its companion until I was an adult and read it when my son was reading the quartet. I now own this beautiful edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... , so I’m rereading the books (along with their respective endnotes) but reviewing them separately.

I st
Ivonne Rovira
I loved A Wrinkle in Time both when I read it as a third-grader and when I re-read it in my 40s. Somehow I never got around to reading the sequel The Wind in the Door until now. Who knew that I hadn’t missed much?

Madeleine L’Engle created Meg Murry long before anyone ever heard of The X-Files’ Dana Scully, of course, but they’re two peas in a pod. Meg traveled all over the cosmos with her whiz-kid little brother Charles Wallace Murry, thanks to magical beings and the fifth dimension, for God’s s
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I had very low expectations because A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books and I couldn't imagine how the next in the series could possible live up to the first, but this was great! Thought-provoking with so many profound, highlightable lines. I know now that this will be one of my favorite book series!
Sarah Augustinsky
I was slightly disspointed upon reading A Wind in the Door. I adore and loved A Wrinkle in Time when I read it, and I was expecting something as wonderful and beautiful as that.
Although this book is good, and is thoughtful, it lacked more of the relationships that I loved in the first book in the Time Series. I love Calvin and Meg together, and though there were some cute thoughts and things, not very many. There was also hardly any Charles Wallace, which left me a sense of a missing piece after
Brian
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
I read this in two days. I couldn't stop reading. The read brought me back to such childlike wonder and delight. I remember why I used to live by the philosophy, "Why read a book if it's realistic. If I want realistic I'll stay in this boring world." I found the book a thrill ride and full of excitement and felt childlike awe throughout.

I'll be reading it again, and plan to read the other three in the series, as well as her other books. I'm debating where to raise Madeleine L'Engle on my favorit
Grace the Book Queen
If the theme of the first book was about the power of love, then this would be learning to love others even if they are vastly different from you, which, in my humble opinion, is an important lesson to learn at any age. The story continues as Meg and co. work together to heal Charles Wallace and restore the balance of the universe. I loved this one just as much as the first, possibly more! This one developed the characters much further, giving them more depth and a bit more backstory as well. I ...more
Kat  Hooper
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. Life's too short to read bad books!

When I was a kid, Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time blew my mind. I’m sure that’s why I remember it as one of my favorite childhood books. Reading it gave me the first inkling of the immenseness of the universe and that the concepts of space and time were much more complicated than I had realized. I think it was also the book that started my life-long love of science fiction. B
Steve Altier
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not my type of story. That doesn't mean others won't like it.
I can say I'm done with this series.
Amber
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I'm rereading this series. So good.

Also, when I get my little furry friend in the (hopefully near) future, I will be naming them Proginoskes.
Around the Year i...: A Wind in the Door, by Madeleine L'Engle 4 48 Jun 08, 2018 09:11PM
Literature Spelun...: A wind in the Door 1 4 Mar 06, 2017 09:07PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Greenwitch
  • And All Between (Green Sky, #2)
  • The Beggar Queen
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher Is an Alien, #3)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • The Girl with the Silver Eyes
  • A Wizard Alone
  • The Juniper Game
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • On Fortune's Wheel (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her young adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more

Time Quintet (5 books)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet, #3)
  • Many Waters (Time Quintet, #4)
  • An Acceptable Time (Time Quintet, #5)
“Don't try to comprehend with your mind. Your minds are very limited. Use your intuition.” 429 likes
“Progo,' Meg asked. 'You memorized the names of all the stars - how many are there?'

How many? Great heavens, earthling. I haven't the faintest idea.'

But you said your last assignment was to memorize the names of all of them.'

I did. All the stars in all the galaxies. And that's a great many.'

But how many?'

What difference does it make? I know their names. I don't know how many there are. It's their names that matter.”
66 likes